PDA

View Full Version : Pocket holster for a J frame?

willowofwisp
03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I know previously I mentioned ankle holsters but now I was also thinking of a pocket holster (for the times I am out of work and want the gun to be a little more accessible). I have tried a few pocket holsters in the past, namely the desantis and a FIST kydex 5.

I am leaning towards a kydex pocket holster but not sure who else besides FIST makes a quality one, leather is a possibility.

so what do you carry in and how do you like it?

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Have you checked out this thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?90-Who-carries-a-snubby)? Lots of good information there.

edited to add: I see you were the last poster in that thread....

willowofwisp
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Have you checked out this thread (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?90-Who-carries-a-snubby)? Lots of good information there.

edited to add: I see you were the last poster in that thread....

After reading four pages the only thing that stuck out to me was the rabbit haha.

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I think besides the rabbit I mentioned a DeSantis Nemesis for my LCR. They make them for J-Frames as well.

willowofwisp
03-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I think besides the rabbit I mentioned a DeSantis Nemesis for my LCR. They make them for J-Frames as well.

I tried the nemesis when I had an LCR, it worked well for a couple months but after it wasn't staying in my pocket after the draw.

so far I saw Kramer and Mika, any thoughts on those?

Rverdi
03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I use two, a Mitch Rosen Pocket Softy and an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster. The Rosen is around $120, the Uncle Mikes about $12. The Rosen is unquestionable a better holster, but I really don't think it's 10x better.
Honestly, I didn't buy the Rosen and if I needed a pocket holster and was paying for it out of my own... "pocket" I'd buy the Uncle Mike's.

Jay Cunningham
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Raven Concealment makes a kydex pocket holster but I don't have first-hand experience with it.

TCinVA
03-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I'll give my strong recommendation to the Nemesis. I've been carrying my J frame in one since they came out. I've never had a problem with the holster leaving the pocket, but that may be a result of my draw technique.

Desantis also makes an similar holster with a more aggressively grippy texture on the outside. The name eludes me.

David Armstrong
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM
I like the Uncle Mike's pocket holster with my 642. I've got some others, but that is the one that I always seem to go back to.

3-7-77
03-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I've used the Nemesis and the Uncle Mikes. I found the Nemesis tended to hold the pistol in one spot better than the UM, and it stayed put pretty well during the draw. With the UM, I wrapped some loose fitting rubber bands around the holster to help it stay in the pocket better. The UM was for me, more comfortable in the pocket but this was due to where it positioned the pistol.

SmokeJumper
03-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I'd have to go with the Uncle Mikes as well. It is slightly less bulky than the Nemesis, but at the price of each, you can buy both to try out. I also like the PocketRoo from Tuff Products. It carries my 442 plus a speed strip and is more ideal for large front pockets, cargo pockets and jacket pocket carry.
For kydex, take a look at Aholster.com, I have one and it works pretty well. But it is hard, no soft exterior when bending and due to size/shape it is definitely a front pocket only holster. Overall I prefer the UM.

SLG
03-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Being a bit of a holster snob, it's hard to say this, but the Uncle Mike's is pretty tough to beat. I've found nothing that actually works better, though the UM's will need to be replaced more often than a higher quality holster.

Unisaw
03-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I use a Kramer pocket holster and like it a lot. I have used it for about 2 years and it looks brand new.

John Ralston
03-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I like leather myself...not sure why though :p

I like the large wings as shown below, as they can be shaped to fit your leg. The one below will not print, and won't come out of your pocket during the draw. You do have to find a pair of pants that work with pocket carry though. Some pockets are not deep enough, and some pants are too damn tight in the leg to allow you to grip the weapon. Of course I have horse thighs.

http://www.5shotleather.com/design/assets/pocket.JPG

VolGrad
03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I no longer pocket carry a J-frame but once upon a time had a Blackbird from Pocket Concealment Systems. It was very nice. I found it to be a better fit and reduced printing more than the Nemesis and Mika I tried before that.

He's got a wait ... but then who doesn't.

http://pcsholsters.com/main.html

EricP
03-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Desantis also makes an similar holster with a more aggressively grippy texture on the outside. The name eludes me.

Superfly

I've carried a J-frame in a several of different pocket holsters. The two most important factors on what makes a decent pocket holster are a complimentary shape to the pocket it is being carried in and retention.

Pocket shapes vary. Carrying a square bottomed holster in a pair of dress pants just doesn't look natural. Carrying a tapered holster in square pocketed Carhartt's allows the gun to flop around in the pocket.

Retention or the lack of it may be the more important factor. Holsters that come out with the gun suck. This can happen because the holster is just too tight or the method the holster uses to snag in the pocket doesn't work.

I see pocket holsters as a device to position the gun consistently and keep anything from getting in the trigger guard. My pocket can do the job of keeping the gun off the floor.

Currently, I'm using a Desantis Nemesis, which does a good job of staying in the pocket when the gun is drawn.

willowofwisp
03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
After some posts here and some others I read on other websites I think i am gonna go with a kramer..now to just find one for a good deal haha.

KevH
03-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I've tried a few different J-frame pocket holsters. The Kramer is by far my favorite.

Rappahannock
03-10-2011, 08:12 AM
I like the pocket holsters for the J frame by Simply Rugged. They are sturdy, as the name suggests, but are also made of thin leather that breaks up the shape of the revolver in the pocket but doesn't add a lot of bulk. I never understood pocket holsters that were like wrapping the gun in a pot holder.

old frank
03-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I tried the nemesis when I had an LCR, it worked well for a couple months but after it wasn't staying in my pocket after the draw.

so far I saw Kramer and Mika, any thoughts on those?

While the Kramer is another example of the great leather work they have always done, you can't go wrong with the Mika either at 1/3 of the price.

I tried a Kydex for my Kel-Tec and even after getting it replaced for free once and using JB Weld on it, it just wouldn't hold up to rough use. There might be better ones than the one I had.
I have used the same Mika holster for a J frame for about three years and it still does exactly what it was supposed to.
I used the nemesis for the P-32 and it worked well but carrying it in jean pocket let the holster mold to the gun so well, it was hard to draw. I have a Mika now for it also.
Good Luck with your decision.

SmokeJumper
03-11-2011, 04:44 PM
After some posts here and some others I read on other websites I think i am gonna go with a kramer..now to just find one for a good deal haha.

I'd like to see the Kramer when it arrives. What was their lead time?

willowofwisp
03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see the Kramer when it arrives. What was their lead time?

They are a 4 week lead time when I called, I actually cancelled my ordre and I think im gonna go with a Mika..still not sure.

JodyH
03-12-2011, 11:13 AM
High Noon "Pocket Grabber" (https://www.highnoonholsters.com/) is my all time favorite J-frame pocket holster.

VolGrad
03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
They are a 4 week lead time when I called, I actually cancelled my ordre and I think im gonna go with a Mika..still not sure.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I know the Mika is supposed to be THE pocket holster according to many Internet people. However, I have tried one for a J-frame and another for a LCP and was sorely disappointed with each. It felt like I had a thick quilt wrapped loosely around the firearm and sewn together. They were very thick overall and the firearm literally slipped in/out freely. When looking at my pocket it looked like I had folded up a wash cloth and stuck it in my pocket.

YMMV.

willowofwisp
03-12-2011, 01:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I know the Mika is supposed to be THE pocket holster according to many Internet people. However, I have tried one for a J-frame and another for a LCP and was sorely disappointed with each. It felt like I had a thick quilt wrapped loosely around the firearm and sewn together. They were very thick overall and the firearm literally slipped in/out freely. When looking at my pocket it looked like I had folded up a wash cloth and stuck it in my pocket.

YMMV.

For 30$ ill give it a try, if it don't work I can either sell it or return it.

What do you recommend?

VolGrad
03-12-2011, 02:14 PM
For 30$ ill give it a try, if it don't work I can either sell it or return it.

What do you recommend?

Scroll back bro. I would recommend a PCS. I had a Blackbird from him and was very happy with it. I sold it with the J-frame though and the new buyer loves it too.

SmokeJumper
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Anyone have an experience with the Alessi one-piece pocket holster? Just saw some pics in a write up in the new issue of American Handgunner, and looked like a good pocket holster, but no experience.