View Full Version : Current ammo prices Feb 2017

Nephrology
02-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Where and what are you buying please?

sgammo.com

voodoo_man
02-17-2017, 04:51 AM
sgammo.com

That's one, local places have killer prices too. Haven't seen these prices since before Obama

Kirk
02-17-2017, 09:55 AM
sgammo.com

I buy almost all of my practice ammo from there (minus ASYM and AA for matches or bullseye practice I'm starting). Great company and always quick shipping.

Norville
02-25-2017, 09:16 AM
SG is great, Ammunition Depot had a free shipping deal if you bought two ammo cans for $21 that was pretty good but I believe it just ended.

Prices are definitely easing as demand (read "hoarding") may have gone down a bit. Local shops still pretty high.

ranger
02-25-2017, 09:27 AM
I think issue is even bigger. Hearing rumblings in the Atlanta area that several LGS are struggling, reducing staff, etc. Greatest gun salesman in history is out of office - market has changed. I have reduced my reloading as I keep seeing great deals on ammo. Especially rifle - example is match grade 308 and 6.5CM for $1 per round. Yes, I buy from SGAMMO plus PSA runs deals too.

SAWBONES
02-25-2017, 10:23 AM
No question but that SGAmmo.com typically has the best prices and the fastest, most reliable (and usually least expensive) shipping.

voodoo_man
02-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Unless you need ammo for a class or training desperately, my suggestion is to just wait for a good deal on something you want and stock up. I recently bought 3k 9mm federal branded 115gr for 185 locally when they had a sale.

blues
02-25-2017, 11:16 AM
No question but that SGAmmo.com typically has the best prices and the fastest, most reliable (and usually least expensive) shipping.

I usually go with SGAmmo or PSA but there are a handful of others worth checking out as well from time to time...massammo.com, the-armory.com, ammunitiondepot.com among others.

scw2
02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
I recently bought 3k 9mm federal branded 115gr for 185 locally when they had a sale.

$3 a box?!?! I would have driven to stock up a few thousand rounds at that price. Let me know if you see another sale at that price again please!

hiro
02-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Yeah, my math is struggling, could it have been $185 a case rather than 3k rounds???

modrecoil
02-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Freedom Munitions. 9mm 124 or 147, reman or new.

okie john
02-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Ammoseek.com crawls most ammo seller's sites and shows the lowest prices.

Okie John

Nephrology
02-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Unless you need ammo for a class or training desperately, my suggestion is to just wait for a good deal on something you want and stock up. I recently bought 3k 9mm federal branded 115gr for 185 locally when they had a sale.

Yeah, agreed. Prices will probably be stable til at least we get closer to the midterm elections... I'll probably hold off until Memorial Day or maybe even Black Friday to buy big quantities of 9mm FMJ again.

punkey71
02-25-2017, 01:54 PM
Prices are definitely easing as demand (read "hoarding") may have gone down a bit. Local shops still pretty high.

Now is the time to hoard, imo.

Make hay when the sun shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totem Polar
02-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Just saw PMC .380 ball for 9 bucks a box of 50.

I was looking around to see if M.C. hammer, Madonna, Michael Jackson and Duran Duran were shooting an MTV video, that's how surprised I was, given what it recently cost to feed a G42 when they first came out.

RJ
02-25-2017, 04:17 PM
I buy almost all of my practice ammo from there (minus ASYM and AA for matches or bullseye practice I'm starting). Great company and always quick shipping.

+1 and they also have decent prices on SD ammo. Last three cases plus my P9HST2 came from them. Shipping is fast and my order has been spot on each time.

Only improvement is I wish their web site had a way to select based on ammo company. It is a major pita to wade through page after page after page of Geco, MAN, Wolf etc. to get to my preferred selection.

hiro
02-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Only improvement is I wish their web site had a way to select based on ammo company. It is a major pita to wade through page after page after page of Geco, MAN, Wolf etc. to get to my preferred selection.

Use your browser's find command, it's normally CTRL+F on Windows or Command+F on a Mac.

JAD
02-25-2017, 11:38 PM
For me, this has been a time to lay in a better grade of 9 practice ammo. What used to buy me blazer brass, which I loathe, now gets me 9BP. Why wouldn't I buy 9BP?

blues
02-25-2017, 11:47 PM
For me, this has been a time to lay in a better grade of 9 practice ammo. What used to buy me blazer brass, which I loathe, now gets me 9BP. Why wouldn't I buy 9BP?

I just happened to shoot 30 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm earlier today while breaking in a couple new Magpul magazines and had one round fail to fire. Reloaded it with same result. Noticed afterward that both hits on the primer were close to the circumference unlike the rest I examined which were centered. Hope there aren't too many more like this in the rest of the boxes. The round appeared to be out of spec and slipped through QC.

okie john
02-26-2017, 12:24 AM
Now is the time to hoard, imo.

Make hay when the sun shines.

I think prices are going to be in freefall for a while. They may go up just before the election but I think they're still a long way from the bottom.

Okie John

Lester Polfus
02-26-2017, 12:46 AM
I was just fixing to start reloading 9mm too. I bought a big stash in 2010 (that was a real pain to move when we bought a house) and it was getting pretty skinny. But now I'm seeing .20 a round, and I'm starting to think about not bothering to reload 9mm again. Which is good, because I'm not looking forward to sorting out all the Q4318 brass I have mixed in with the rest.

I think there's a glut at the moment, because ammo makers are sitting on product produced in anticipation of a Hillary presidency. I wonder if prices will fall even further, or if they will level out as the manufacturers start to cut back on production.

punkey71
02-26-2017, 11:05 AM
I think prices are going to be in freefall for a while. They may go up just before the election but I think they're still a long way from the bottom.

Okie John

You certainly may be correct. Of course, I suck at catching falling knives.

Perhaps a DCA approach for those looking to add to the practice stash? Whatever your dream number of rounds in the basement is, divide it by 24 and buy that amount every month for the next 2 years.

Despite the positive outlook today, someone on PF will be kicking themselves for not buying "enough" when the next BHO/HRC drops a turd in the "cheap ammo & mags" punchbowl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
02-26-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm going to hold off on reloading more & just shoot steel cased Russian 9x19 ammo in my training guns.

okie john
02-26-2017, 12:09 PM
Perhaps a DCA approach for those looking to add to the practice stash? Whatever your dream number of rounds in the basement is, divide it by 24 and buy that amount every month for the next 2 years.

That's a really good idea.

Okie John

5pins
02-26-2017, 01:22 PM
I can't afford 10,000 rounds a month.:D

Nephrology
03-01-2017, 09:22 AM
I'm going to hold off on reloading more & just shoot steel cased Russian 9x19 ammo in my training guns.

I've had really good luck with Wolff. Actually fairly accurate for what it is, and rarely have any issues with hard primer strikes or undercharged loads. Tula is garbage, and brown bear is usually OK but I've had some hard primer strikes in my Glocks with them in the last couple cases I shot through.

Here's a 25yd group with Brown Bear 115gr, Gen4 Glock 17

http://i.imgur.com/eDdpWsr.jpg

lyodbraun
03-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Yea prices slowly coming downward, I continue to buy that cheap Russian stuff just ordered 1000 rounds of brown bear from SGAMMO $149, it's great for range use..

hiro
03-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Am I the only one who just doesn't want to buy Russian? Sorry, I know it doesn't add to the thread but for all the talk of buying USA made product there seems a err, disturbance in the force, when it comes to ammo.

Alembic
03-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Am I the only one who just doesn't want to buy Russian? Sorry, I know it doesn't add to the thread but for all the talk of buying USA made product there seems a err, disturbance in the force, when it comes to ammo.

Read the Luckygunner AR report on Steel vs. Brass and decide for yourself. If I understand it correctly, steel wears out parts and barrels much faster. Most steel cased brand have reliability issues, but even with the cost of replacement parts and barrels, steel is still cheaper to shoot overall.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

To the OP, and others. Why no love for Target Sports? For cheap ammo Target Sports seems to be cheaper than SGammo. For SD/quality ammo SG seems to have better stock. In my experience Target ships way faster than SG.

Appalachained
03-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Freedom Munitions just changed all their prices. A case of FMJ is $30 cheaper than it was a month ago, still with free shipping when you buy $200 worth or more.

Default.mp3
03-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Read the Luckygunner AR report on Steel vs. Brass and decide for yourself. If I understand it correctly, steel wears out parts and barrels much faster. Most steel cased brand have reliability issues, but even with the cost of replacement parts and barrels, steel is still cheaper to shoot overall.

To the OP, and others. Why no love for Target Sports? For cheap ammo Target Sports seems to be cheaper than SGammo. For SD/quality ammo SG seems to have better stock. In my experience Target ships way faster than SG.Rifle ammo and pistol ammo probably aren't very comparable in this case, especially considering the firing schedule those rifles were subjected to.

Kyle Reese
03-02-2017, 05:18 PM

To the OP, and others. Why no love for Target Sports? For cheap ammo Target Sports seems to be cheaper than SGammo. For SD/quality ammo SG seems to have better stock. In my experience Target ships way faster than SG.

Not the OP, but I do love Target Sports. Gave them lots of shekels prior to the election. Stellar outfit.

Alembic
03-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Rifle ammo and pistol ammo probably aren't very comparable in this case, especially considering the firing schedule those rifles were subjected to.

And, what is your opinion? Pistol steel is OK?

Is steel pistol ammo going to have less wear and tear than rifle ammo? I jumped to the conclusion that 10,000 rounds in 1 year or 10 years would have the same wear and tear. Not correct?

Sorry for the drift...

Mitch
03-02-2017, 05:42 PM
Pistol ammo is going much slower. And if you're shooting a glock after 10,000 rounds of steel cased you can afford a new barrel and extractor. Or almost a new glock.

hiro
03-02-2017, 05:45 PM

Please note, I said Russian, not steel cased/corrosive.

Alembic
03-02-2017, 05:54 PM
Pistol ammo is going much slower. And if you're shooting a glock after 10,000 rounds of steel cased you can afford a new barrel and extractor. Or almost a new glock.

Makes sense. And the cheap/value oriented, side of me says go ahead and shoot the steel ammo. Steel cycles fine in my Glocks, 17 and 19. But steel cases fail to extract in my USPc9, usually one per 100 rounds. Nothing a plastic pen can't fix, but it's no fun to have a failure.

Default.mp3
03-02-2017, 05:55 PM
And, what is your opinion? Pistol steel is OK?

Is steel pistol ammo going to have less wear and tear than rifle ammo? I jumped to the conclusion that 10,000 rounds in 1 year or 10 years would have the same wear and tear. Not correct?Part of the issue is that firing schedule in general will play a huge role in the wear and tear on a gun, due to temperature; so, if you're shooting 100 rounds a minute for 5 minutes, but you either spread out each session between 1 year or else between 10 years, both will generate the same amount of wear at the end of the firing schedule. I was more referring to the fact that the LuckyGunner test has bouts of very intense firing schedules, where they stated that the gun got too hot to hold. If they were doing a much more realistic firing schedule, the differences between the Federal and Brown Bear would almost certainly have been much less extreme.

Beyond that, handguns ammo generates a noticeably lower pressure, so I'm not sure how much crossover there is for some of the wear. The bimetal bullets will probably be worse than FMJs, but again, I strongly suspect that's very temperature dependent, which in turn is dependent on firing schedule.

All things being equal, I suspect that the bimetal bullet, steel-cased ammo will generate more wear than quality FMJ, brass-cased ammo... but for a practical firing schedule, it is probably a difference that is imperceptible at the end of 10k rounds (assuming identical QA/QC, powder, etc.), since we're not doing mag dump after mag dump.

Alembic
03-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Sorry, what Russian is not steel cased?

And if this drift needs to be a new thread, I'd be happy to start one or mods split the thread, or what ever works.

Nephrology
03-02-2017, 06:01 PM

Obviously this is an entirely personal choice to make, but consider your immediate surroundings. You are very likely wearing clothing that was made in Indonesia, China, Pakistan, and/or Bangladesh; driving a car manufactured in whole or in part in Mexico, Japan, or maybe Western Europe (in which case almost all of the plastics, circuitry and lights were still made in China) that you fill with gasoline refined from crude oil shipped here from Venezuela, Algeria, Kuwait, Qatar, the UAE or Saudi Arabia, reading this post from a laptop or cell phone almost certainly made in China (or potentially even worse- designed in California).

The brass and metal jacket of the US made ammo you purchase is coming from Chile, Peru or China (who owns most of the mines in the aforementioned countries), Lead that comes from China, and (if memory serves) pushing it through a gun made in Austria.

So, certainly, feel free to spend your money where and how you wish... but if you want cheap, dirt cheap ammo I don't think Russian is a bad way to go. I usually buy a mix of cheap (russian) and decent quality (American or European) ammunition. Good stuff for matches, concealed carry, and other shooting that matters - cheap stuff for practice. Either way, the final profit taken off the product that you put through your gun is going into a thoroughly American wallet.

I have no idea exactly how much 9mm Russian ammo I've put through my Austrian guns, but I'd say conservatively on the order of 20k rounds worth over the years. Outside of occasional hard primers, no problems. Stay away from Tula though... even I won't touch that stuff.

UNK
03-03-2017, 08:08 PM
I have a question about steel ammo. I have heard that steel ammo has a coating to keep it from rusting. I have also heard this coating when hot somehow attaches to the chamber and is hard to clean out. Is this correct or bull?

Lester Polfus
03-03-2017, 08:20 PM

I make a concerted effort to buy American whenever I can, which can be pretty tough sometimes. I avoid knowingly buying ANYTHING from Russia.

Fuck those guys.

Clay
03-04-2017, 10:34 AM
I have a question about steel ammo. I have heard that steel ammo has a coating to keep it from rusting. I have also heard this coating when hot somehow attaches to the chamber and is hard to clean out. Is this correct or bull?

I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of steel cased Wolf and Tula ammo through various pistols over the last 20 years without any big issues. I did chip an extractor in a Glock 23 around 2001 or so, during a class no less, but the gun still ran fine, and others had the same issue in that time period shooting brass cased ammo, so I don't necessarily attribute it to the ammo. I would say that Russian ammo, as a whole, has improved over the last few years and is more reliable, in my experience. I only shoot 9mm now for the most part, but I do shoot at least once a week, so I run a lot of steel cased ammo through several different types of pistols.

I do clean my barrels using a true solvent like Hoppe's or Butch's when running steel cased ammo. Not a huge deal at all. I wouldn't concern myself with the coating when it comes to pistols, specifically. I can't speak to rifle ammo.

I've run over 2000 rounds of steel cased Tula through a Canik Elite and Springfield XD-9 in the last week alone, trying these two guns out for fun. No issues at all. My Gen4 9mm Glocks run it without fail. The Tula is very reliable, but the zinc coating on the bullet sucks compared to the copper coating on the Wolf.

I work at a local range on the weekend as an RSO, and we see more problems with Winchester ammo than any of the Russian stuff, FWIW.

Target Sports has some great deals on Wolf 9mm right now, and they're great to do business with.

Having said all that, if I had enough disposable income to shoot only brass-cased ammo, I would do so. I would shoot nothing but the German MEN milspec stuff from SGAmmo if I could. Super high quality and small boxes. The regular Brazilian Magtech stuff is great also.