PDA

View Full Version : M&P Shield CC Holster Recommendations

Unobtanium
02-24-2017, 03:48 AM
While I would prefer to carry my M&P9 FS, my M&P Shield is much more likely to make it out the door with me rather than be left at home, and let's face it, if we are talking about things we left at home, the M4 would probably be my first choice of things I wish I had NOT left at home if I needed to use a firearm.

So that said, it's been a while since I carried. I have continued to train and shoot, but I moved 2 years ago, and between switching jobs, and the fact that I left an absolute dump (Shreveport, LA) to move to a place with very low crime (I feel very safe here, comparatively, so carrying a weapon took a lower priority), I did not renew my CWP until now (it arrived tonight).

Since I have carried, I am sure new holsters and ideologies have surfaced, and I'd like to piggyback on some brain trust rather than going through $400 in holsters to learn what I can simply be told.

My trigger awareness is good. I do not rush to holster a weapon, and if I am not in the act of firing it, my finger is on register a'la Craig Douglas's methodology. That said, I still have a mental aversion to AIWB, but I don't think it's the great satan, either, if it truly offers serious advantage?

Most of my carry time will be spent in a vehicle, or walking/hiking. My state laws do not consider "printing" to be unacceptable, although I am not a fan of it and view it as a faux pas and a tactical failing to boot. I work in a non-permissive environment, but do not plan to carry in that environment.

Comfort and easy of carry are therefor my #1 criteria, rather than "impossible to see!!!!", although of course if I could have all of my cake and a fully belly...

Anyway, I look forward to some recommendations as to AIWB vs. 4 o'clock (how I used to carry, in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster, which I believe I still have, but found it to be "bigger than the gun itself" and not exactly the most comfortable or invisible thing, likely secondary to exactly that.).

My typical attire is T-shirt and jeans/cargo type pants. Or gym shorts. I kindof give up with the gym shorts thing, and I'm not going to carry in the gym, but would like a solution for carry while jogging, if possible, as well? I doubt it's the same solution as jeans and T-shirt though.

Things I refuse to compromise on:

-Holster MUST COVER THE ENTIRE TRIGGER GUARD AREA AT ALL TIMES WHEN THE WEAPON IS INSIDE OF THE HOLSTER! I do not want a pen, a set of keys, me rummaging, NOTHING to be able to reach that trigger if the weapon is in the holster. If it does not meet this simple basic criteria, it's an absolute flop.

The Apprentice
02-24-2017, 05:43 AM
Jm custom kydex version 3 for strong side and if you want to give aiwb a try I would also recommend him. His version 3 is my go to he builds up the trigger guard slightly which aids in tucking the grip into your body. Your in luck to he has a quick ship option for the shield so no 6 to 8 week wait. Another good option is darkstar gear

VT1032
02-24-2017, 06:30 AM
I will second this. Jmck v3. I use the clip for the attachment type and I love mine with my shield. Easy on and off, great retention, the clip doesn't shift at all if you use the right belt, and you can't beat the quality. If you aren't doing aiwb, go buy this.

Hizzie
02-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Pretty sure Tom of Dark Star Gear makes his little clip on AIWB for the shield.

http://darkstargear.com/kydex-gear/aiwb/

I run one for my SP101. Love it. That metal clip has a little tooth in it and bites hard onto belts and waistbands.

VT1032
For carry while jogging, look at a smart carry. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I've found. Also works pretty well for discrete carry in npe areas when paired with the right pants.

Unobtanium
Jm custom kydex version 3 for strong side and if you want to give aiwb a try I would also recommend him. His version 3 is my go to he builds up the trigger guard slightly which aids in tucking the grip into your body. Your in luck to he has a quick ship option for the shield so no 6 to 8 week wait. Another good option is darkstar gear

How much cant would you recommend on the Version 3, strong side? If I get the TLR-6 compatible holster, will it retain the pistol WITHOUT the light, also? Or are the retention points inclusive of the light?

Also, what is "guard" on the drop-down? Is this the amount of material between me, and the butt ("stocks" for you grammar/term Nazi's) of the pistol?
If I get the clip, do I even bother selecting "hole pattern"?

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/IWB3.html

VT1032
02-24-2017, 06:38 AM
I don't have much can't on mine, maybe 10 degrees and it conceals just fine. I don't know about the tlr, but Tony Mayer, the owner, is a member here. You might send him a pm or email. He's very responsive and helpful in my experience.

Unobtanium
02-24-2017, 06:43 AM
I don't have much can't on mine, maybe 10 degrees and it conceals just fine. I don't know about the tlr, but Tony Mayer, the owner, is a member here. You might send him a pm or email. He's very responsive and helpful in my experience.

I found when I carried previously, the main way my weapon made itself known is when I would bend. I am in the habit of bending with my legs (squatting), but if you bend over from the squatting, say, to pick up rolling change or whatever that you dropped. I think cant would help here, and will likely do 15-20* unless someone tells me this is bad and why

orionz06
02-24-2017, 06:58 AM

I run one for my SP101. Love it. That metal clip has a little tooth in it and bites hard onto belts and waistbands.

I actually have a new new new version that's ready for T&E...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unobtanium
02-24-2017, 07:21 AM

This is what I did, IWB, 15* cant, "MID" guard (whatever that is). I also told him my height, weight, build, and asked him to adjust the cant or "guard" to his recommendation, if he noticed that I chose something that wasn't as popular or that he would advise differently on. Can't wait to see what comes in the box!

VT1032
02-24-2017, 07:26 AM
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've bought a bunch of holsters from him and he does really good work.

Leroy Suggs
02-24-2017, 08:02 AM

This would be a good solution for the Shield.

zart312
02-24-2017, 08:45 AM
I run with my shield. I use a Hill People Gear bag. Fits my gun with a holster, wallet, phone, and keys.

Chuck Whitlock
02-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Also, what is "guard" on the drop-down? Is this the amount of material between me, and the butt ("stocks" for you grammar/term Nazi's) of the pistol?

Guard is between you and the back of the slide. #8 in FAQs. I prefer the PTD loops to the clip, and that is where the wide spacing comes in.

TR675
02-24-2017, 11:03 AM

I'm carrying a shield near daily and I've been meaning to buy one of these for a while. Let me know if I can help.

Soggy
02-24-2017, 11:08 AM
You might try the JM Universal first. The advantage is the adjustability, so you can play around with it in different spots/different cants until you find what you like. The clip makes it super easy to pop on and off. Some other options may be slightly more concealable, but finding where you want the weapon and how you want it positioned can help inform your purchase of holster #2. (I never got to #2, after fiddling with the sponge I am fine with the universal).
http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/IWBU.html
My experience with it:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-(Appendix-Carry)&p=564455&viewfull=1#post564455

I should add one caveat: To date I have used this to make sure I am carrying. I haven't vetted it wrt to draw speed against other holters, and I haven't trained with it.

Appendix carry makes me nervous also, but for me it conceals much better, and I don't bump the gun into stuff like I do when it is on my hip.

Unobtanium
02-24-2017, 11:55 AM
I run with my shield. I use a Hill People Gear bag. Fits my gun with a holster, wallet, phone, and keys.

Can you be more specific...they have...a few
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/Default.aspx

zart312
02-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Can you be more specific...they have...a few
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/Default.aspx

Sorry I should have been more specific. I use the recon kit bag. It's the same size as the runners bag but I can attach stuff to the front if I need to. Not the best pictures but to give an idea ...

mmc45414
02-24-2017, 02:21 PM
This is what I did, IWB, 15* cant, "MID" guard (whatever that is). I also told him my height, weight, build, and asked him to adjust the cant or "guard" to his recommendation, if he noticed that I chose something that wasn't as popular or that he would advise differently on. Can't wait to see what comes in the box!

I would (woulda?, though I think you can change it) suggest that you go 10 degree cant, I have the JMCK-V3 with PTD straps in 10 degree for my 9mm and am even contemplating going for a zero degree for the Shield 45. My reason is that the gun is so short the angle leaves little below the belt to balance out the weight of the magazine, and the greater angle essentially makes the gun shorter.

I have a Sparks Summer Special 2 for it and the angle is so great it feels like the thing could fall out.

But I am sure you will be fine with 15 degree, you sound like you carry farther back than I do.

Tony Mayer
02-24-2017, 03:18 PM
I would (woulda?, though I think you can change it) suggest that you go 10 degree cant, I have the JMCK-V3 with PTD straps in 10 degree for my 9mm and am even contemplating going for a zero degree for the Shield 45. My reason is that the gun is so short the angle leaves little below the belt to balance out the weight of the magazine, and the greater angle essentially makes the gun shorter.

I have a Sparks Summer Special 2 for it and the angle is so great it feels like the thing could fall out.

But I am sure you will be fine with 15 degree, you sound like you carry farther back than I do.

I have the Shield Long Versions available (can make it as a quick ship for an IWB 3 style as well) that will fix the issue of roll out. I wouldn't suggest more than 15 degree with the shield. Thanks

Tony Mayer
02-24-2017, 03:30 PM
How much cant would you recommend on the Version 3, strong side? If I get the TLR-6 compatible holster, will it retain the pistol WITHOUT the light, also? Or are the retention points inclusive of the light?

Unobtanium, I wouldn't go more than 15 degree for the Shield, 10 degree would probably be optimal. No, it will not retain the pistol if you get the TLR6 and want to use it without the light. The guard is the portion between you and the gun above the belt line, get the full is your unsure as I can trim that down to anything you like, but if you get a mid or none and want more guard I can't add material. Select wide hole pattern if you are using pull the dot loops exclusively. If you want to be able to use the clip, split loop, or pull the dot loops, choose normal hole pattern. Thanks and you can also email me (below) with any questions.

CR78
02-24-2017, 04:28 PM

Any way to entice you into elaborating on the new new new wares?

Unobtanium
02-24-2017, 06:36 PM
Unobtanium, I wouldn't go more than 15 degree for the Shield, 10 degree would probably be optimal. No, it will not retain the pistol if you get the TLR6 and want to use it without the light. The guard is the portion between you and the gun above the belt line, get the full is your unsure as I can trim that down to anything you like, but if you get a mid or none and want more guard I can't add material. Select wide hole pattern if you are using pull the dot loops exclusively. If you want to be able to use the clip, split loop, or pull the dot loops, choose normal hole pattern. Thanks and you can also email me (below) with any questions.

Roger that. Please modify my order in accordance with your advice, per the note I included with it. I defer to your knowledge on the subject, and I opted to get the holster sooner vs. The tlr compatible custom holster.