PDA

View Full Version : Starting fresh with some new gear. I have a few questions...

NCmtnman
02-23-2017, 05:01 PM
I am starting fresh after a LONG (10 year) lay off in shooting IDPA/Steel/3 gun competitions. I was always in it for fun and then to work on my skills as a shooter. That said...I'm not looking to get in too deep at this point and would like to progress to USPSA at some point. We will see.

My question is on some holster choices. I have narrowed my choices down to the Safariland Range/Comp series and specifically their open top holster on a paddle/belt slide set up and then their double mag pouch. OR the G Code OSH holster on a paddle/RTI set up with their double mag set up done the same way with a paddle or belt slide. I am leaning towards the Safariland as I can use their QLS system and run a multitude of set ups for classes and/or future line of work. All of my past duty holsters have been Safariland with their ALS system and getting an ALS for my Glock 34 would be an option I could keep open if I stayed with Safariland. Also, the infinite accessories is helpful.

Am I thinking in the right direction with this? 95% of my usage will be range work and the rest for local comps. I want to stay legal in the games as well. Any experience with G Code RTI set ups for competition or should I just stick with what I know, the Safariland set up?

Thanks

FNFAN
02-23-2017, 07:46 PM
I'm a huge fan of the ALS and it's what I use for everything including IDPA. I won't use a holster that doesn't have some type of active retention.

That Guy
02-24-2017, 12:42 PM
I have narrowed my choices down to the Safariland Range/Comp series and specifically their open top holster on a paddle/belt slide set up and then their double mag pouch. OR the G Code OSH holster on a paddle/RTI set up with their double mag set up done the same way with a paddle or belt slide.

I have no experience with the specific holsters you mentioned, but from what I've seen Safariland makes much higher quality gear than G-Code.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

NCmtnman
02-25-2017, 09:48 AM
I have no experience with the specific holsters you mentioned, but from what I've seen Safariland makes much higher quality gear than G-Code.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk

I went all Safariland. For my g34 I picked up the 5198 holster and three 773 magazine pouches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msstate56
02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Look at the Comp-Tac international holster. It's made specifically for what you want to do with it. It comes with multiple mounting options all included. I've been using one for years in competition. Very well made and very durable. They ship quickly and have good customer service.

Nevermind, just noticed you all ready have a holster and pouches. But I'll leave it in case anyone else is interested.

NCmtnman
02-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Look at the Comp-Tac international holster. It's made specifically for what you want to do with it. It comes with multiple mounting options all included. I've been using one for years in competition. Very well made and very durable. They ship quickly and have good customer service.

Nevermind, just noticed you all ready have a holster and pouches. But I'll leave it in case anyone else is interested.

Comptac and Blade Tech were my next two options. I only went with Safariland as I wanted the ability to use their mounting options and possibly an RTI at some point.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastaslinger
04-07-2017, 03:53 PM
The 5198 (and the equivalents like 5199, same holster only difference is mounting options) is pretty damn hard to beat for the price