PDA

View Full Version : Reloading speed on a Dillon 550

SLG
02-16-2017, 09:04 PM
You need to try my 147s. Cost per $1k is $108 assuming you already have brass.

How long does it take you to load 1000?

#Dillon550 (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon550)

LittleLebowski
02-16-2017, 09:08 PM
How long does it take you to load 1000?

About 2.5 hours if I prestage primer tubes, but I usually do batches of a few hundred at a time. I'm at 12-15 minutes per 100 depending on cadence and reconstructed elbow and shoulder issues. I could speed it up a little, but I watch primers being fed and powder charge level pretty closely.

Wayne Dobbs
02-23-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm about the same, and possibly 10 minutes faster on occasion. Making sure a primer was seated and making sure you have a powder charge are critical and can be done without losing much time. My routine is to load 10 primer tubes beforehand and then do batches of 500 (two practice sessions worth on average). Every 1000 - 1500 rounds I wipe the primer seating assembly down and lightly lube. Seems to keep that seating arm from sticking or failing to pick up a primer.

punkey71
02-23-2017, 09:59 AM
500/hr for 147gr blue bullets on a 550. About $90/1000 with my brass.

I usually only do 500 rounds at a time. Anything more and it becomes tedious.

I am tempted by a 650 with case and bullet feeders though. Someday - but I'm not in a huge hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsa-otc
02-23-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm at about 500 to 600 rounds per hour inclusive of loading the primer tubes. If everything goes well I'm pushing the upper end. If there is a brass or primer issue closer to 500. I load approx 200 rounds in a sitting and it takes right at 20 min.

shane45
02-23-2017, 10:37 AM
Man you guys are fast! I must just have a casual pace. Im usually in the 250 to 300 per hour category.

Wayne Dobbs
02-23-2017, 10:39 AM
I am tempted by a 650 with case and bullet feeders though. Someday - but I'm not in a huge hurry.

When I make the jump from my 550 (which has over 20 years of service right now), I'm going to jump way up to a 1050. Production will jump, time will be saved and military staked primer pockets won't drive me nuts.

Hambo
02-23-2017, 10:49 AM
I watch primers being fed and powder charge level pretty closely.

This is what keeps me at around 400/hr.

JAD
02-23-2017, 11:08 AM
For a lot of years my standard practice was to reload a session's worth, 400, in a burst. That would require a couple of primer tubes and usually involved some messing with the tumbler, and always involved QC and packaging. I could always count on getting that whole process done in under an hour.

In the good old days when I was reloading a lot more, I would give it a whole Saturday afternoon. If total time was >6 hours, I could count on hitting a rate of 500/h with all extraneous activities accounted for. I distinctly recall it taking eight hours and a little to get 4K rounds of .45 prepped for a Thunder Ranch class in 2000.

JCS
02-23-2017, 11:17 AM
As a new 550 convert I'm pretty slow. Around 250/hr.

There's been some wrinkles to iron out with the press, mainly the priming system.

I think I need to clean the priming arm better. But 3-4 times per hundred rounds I can't get the primer to seat all the way. It's a pain because the primer will be halfway in and I can't rotate the head. I haven't figured out the best way to fix it yet and it usually takes a few mins.

I've noticed that a small piece of the old primer stays stuck in the primer pocket. Any suggestions?

If it would prime consistently I could be a lot faster.

Also, when you guys say that you watch the primers being fed what are you watching? My focus pretty much stays on the powder to avoid a squib or double charge. I have had a few rounds either not get a primer or one was upside down so I think I need to add this in.

JAD
02-23-2017, 11:20 AM
I've noticed that a small piece of the old primer stays stuck in the primer pocket. Any suggestions?

That is both weird and very dangerous. Call Dillon.

Malamute
02-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Agree, Ive never found any leftover primer pieces.

As for getting one unstuck, perhaps one of the cheapo Lee hand depriming rods with a plastic or rubber mallet would knock the primer out so it can be removed from the shell plate.

punkey71
02-23-2017, 11:34 AM

Is it pieces of the old primer or the mil crimp?

The only thing that's ever hung up a primer insertion for me has been a piece of mil brass getting in with my brass.

JCS
02-23-2017, 11:40 AM
It appears it's a crimp https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170223/464ed9bceeb43934117b79fc12666d23.jpg

Sometimes that little ring stays in and sometimes like half of it gets removed. But I've noticed that every time a primer doesn't seat it looks like the far left picture.

I always assumed it was the old primer.

Any ways to stop that?

JAD
02-23-2017, 11:48 AM
Yes, stop using mil brass. Seriously. Totally not worth the risk. 9 once fired from southern belle is cheep.

punkey71
02-23-2017, 11:50 AM
stop using crimped brass has been my solution! :-) I've got a massive stash of brass and typically pick up all of my cases since I belong to a private range.

Seriously though, if you have a ton of it or it's your only brass, there are hand tools to remove it as well as powered brass prep tools that do the same thing. Time consuming and an added expense.

Wayne spoke about the Dillon 1050 above. It has a dedicated station that removes the crimp from mil brass. That's the surest, easiest way but VERY expensive.

Here is a cheap option, but it adds prep time to your brass. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064643126/lyman-primer-pocket-reamer-tool

If your only using mil brass you need to pick a way to do it. If you can avoid mil brass, that may be easiest.

JCS
02-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Honestly, I didn't know I was using it but I will stop using it. It's a huge pain and it will be worth it to take the time and toss it all out.

I've just picked up brass at ranges the last couple years (mine and others when I could).
I never paid attention to it. Lesson learned!!!

TiroFijo
02-23-2017, 03:02 PM
Man you guys are fast! I must just have a casual pace. Im usually in the 250 to 300 per hour category.

This is the number/hour I load as well, in a RL550. Very meticulous, checking everything, starting from components in box, not preloaded primer tubes.

Hambo
02-23-2017, 03:49 PM
1776, this is how I run a 550:

When I'm bring the handle up I watch the primer mechanism as it goes under the shellplate just to make sure I see a primer in the cup. I also listen for the spent primer to drop. As I rotate the shell plate I make sure I see powder in the case as I set a bullet. You get used to what you need to watch and when in the process.

DocSabo40
02-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Honestly, I didn't know I was using it but I will stop using it. It's a huge pain and it will be worth it to take the time and toss it all out.

I've just picked up brass at ranges the last couple years (mine and others when I could).
I never paid attention to it. Lesson learned!!!

This is why I despise loading 9mm. All it take is someone shooting .mil brass or the dreaded .380 within 4 stalls of me, and my brass collection becomes tainted. I much prefer loading .40 for just this alone.

As far as speed I have no idea how you guys are doing 500 rounds an hour on a 550. By the time I fill the primer tubes, check my cases, check my powder charge every 20 or so, check my OAL periodically, and unstick the primer feed I'm doing about 300 an hour.

rsa-otc
02-23-2017, 08:32 PM
1776, this is how I run a 550:

When I'm bring the handle up I watch the primer mechanism as it goes under the shellplate just to make sure I see a primer in the cup. I also listen for the spent primer to drop. As I rotate the shell plate I make sure I see powder in the case as I set a bullet. You get used to what you need to watch and when in the process.

This is exactly how I do it. Quite frankly I have to forego checking each powder drop in 38 SPL cases. They are just to tall. Not a problem with 9, 40 or 45. With the shorter cases I check the powder as I turn the shell plate. With practice this becomes seamless.

rsa-otc
02-23-2017, 08:46 PM
This is why I despise loading 9mm. All it take is someone shooting .mil brass or the dreaded .380 within 4 stalls of me, and my brass collection becomes tainted. I much prefer loading .40 for just this alone.

As far as speed I have no idea how you guys are doing 500 rounds an hour on a 550. By the time I fill the primer tubes, check my cases, check my powder charge every 20 or so, check my OAL periodically, and unstick the primer feed I'm doing about 300 an hour.

Case prep is separate process. By the time I sit down at the press it's all about running the press. After 40 years I have found once I get the powder charge and OAL set I never had any meaningful drift in adjustments. I check the powder maybe every 500 to 1000 rounds or so just to be sure anyway, but I can't remember a time I have had to readjust. When first setting a powder charge I will measure like 4 to 5 throws in a row to make sure it is what I want.

To prevent the primer feed from sticking I keep it extremely clean and do a thorough cleaning every 1000 rounds or so. Also I find not overly tightening the cap on the primer feed tube lessens the amount it may stick.

Corey
02-23-2017, 11:16 PM
When I went for speed runs on my 550 a long time ago, I was doing almost 600 rounds per hour of 45 ACP. To do that I had all my brass ready to go, powder measure full, lots of bullets ready and 6 primer pick up tubes all filled. I found I could load .45 faster than 9mm, probably because the larger cases and bullets are easier to work with when going fast.

I load almost exclusively 9mm now and I run at a more sedate 400 rounds per hour. However, a rarely load more that 100 rounds (15 minutes) in a single session. My shoulder and elbow just can't handle the repetitive motion like they used to. Lately my shooting has been low enough of a round count that loading 30-50 rounds per day is enough to keep me going to the range once a week.

JAD
02-23-2017, 11:21 PM
. By the time I fill the primer tubes, check my cases, check my powder charge every 20 or so, check my OAL periodically, and unstick the primer feed I'm doing about 300 an hour.

My primer feed ran well and my powder charges were checked every time I filled the hopper, maybe 500-600 rounds.

JAD
02-23-2017, 11:24 PM
. I found I could load .45 faster than 9mm.

Totally. Cases and LSWCs orient easier, brass is more consistent and less prone to stick, primer feel is better. I would rather buy factory than reload 9, but I actively enjoy reloading .45.

SecondsCount
02-24-2017, 12:20 AM
400 an hour is a nice leisurely pace. I usually do 300 at a time just to give my arm a break and to keep from getting bored/tired as that is when mistakes happen.

BigT
02-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Case prep is separate process. By the time I sit down at the press it's all about running the press. After 40 years I have found once I get the powder charge and OAL set I never had any meaningful drift in adjustments. I check the powder maybe every 500 to 1000 rounds or so just to be sure anyway, but I can't remember a time I have had to readjust. When first setting a powder charge I will measure like 4 to 5 throws in a row to make sure it is what I want.

To prevent the primer feed from sticking I keep it extremely clean and do a thorough cleaning every 1000 rounds or so. Also I find not overly tightening the cap on the primer feed tube lessens the amount it may stick.

I load on. A 650 but most of these points stay the same.

I check powder charge when I change calibres and loads , not when I'm loading. I do check multiple when I set up.

Ive never felt the need to check OAL once it's set up. But then again ,and this makes some people shake , my pistol OAL's are all set by Eyeball Mark 1 Mod O

TiroFijo
02-24-2017, 07:26 AM

I'm fanatical about charge consistency, but I've found that checking every 250-500 is more than enough. If you have a fine grain powder, or even better ball powder with small grains, the load is extremely repeatable. I even handle the press exactly the same way every stroke.

For me, the 38 spl is super eaaasy to load due to the soft brass. The 45 ACP is also easy due to the large mouth. Carbine dies are great for straight cases, I never use lube.

mmc45414
02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
It appears it's a crimp https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170223/464ed9bceeb43934117b79fc12666d23.jpg

Yes, stop using mil brass. Seriously. Totally not worth the risk.

stop using crimped brass has been my solution! :-) Seriously though, if you have a ton of it or it's your only brass, there are hand tools to remove it as well as powered brass prep tools that do the same thing. Time consuming and an added expense. If you can avoid mil brass, that may be easiest.

Honestly, I didn't know I was using it but I will stop using it. It's a huge pain and it will be worth it to take the time and toss it all out. Lesson learned!!!

I agree with all of this, though I did get the Dillon swage tool primarily with the intent of using it for 5.56 cases, of which I use vastly fewer of. But then I got aggravated with it doing 5.56 cases, and went looking on the dang ol internet (Boomhauer) and saw where people have developed all kinds of rather elaborate gadgetry to make it faster. I used just a couple tips and rigged up a piece of shock cord to flip the cases into a towel clipped to a lawn chair that is draped into a bucket, and now I am giddy with how easy it is. I also had to remove the ball detent in the bottom of the thing, and added a couple little shims to center the case.

And it is the good thing it works so well, because a few months ago I found some 9x19 brass online for an incredibly cheap price, such a deal (only $0.0175 each!) so I ordered in threefriggingthousand of them and they are all filthy and all CRIMPED! I set up the 650 with a decapping die and ran them all through, and I will probably end up buying one of those wet tumblers (that I want anyway) with the pins (already tried my buddy's cement mixer) and then I will sit there watching Bob Lee Swager shoot people while swaging them all. The smart thing would be to go sell them as scrap metal, but that is just not the way I roll...

LittleLebowski
02-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Ahem...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23772-Review-of-the-Hornady-Lock-N-Load-Single-Stage-Primer-Pocket-Swage-tool-in-223

mmc45414
02-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Ahem...

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?23772-Review-of-the-Hornady-Lock-N-Load-Single-Stage-Primer-Pocket-Swage-tool-in-223

Yes, that looks like a very cost effective tool. I sorta splurged when I bought the Dillon, was initially kinda meh, now I am happy. Maybe later I will get my wife to video the process, just cracking up at how much of an improvement was made with just a repurposed piece of shock cord that was cut out of pullover so it wouldn't get caught in a trigger guard. Here is a static shot:
The towel is hanging on a lawn chair and is draped into a bucket. I drilled a shallow hole in the board to increase the swing a few degrees. You can also see the little plastic shims that center the case. This has made the process at least twice as fast, maybe three times faster.

For some reason I get some twisted level of satisfaction from doing simple repetitive tasks like this if, and only if, I think it is being done efficiently.

Gio
02-28-2017, 02:44 PM
It takes me about 10 mins to get started and 10 mins to stop and wipe everything down. After that I can load about 100 rounds every 10 mins of reloading. My problem is I get horribly bored after about 200 rounds, so I never do more than 200 in a sitting.

I plan on upgrading to a 1050 this year just to get more out of the 30-40 minutes of focus I have. The 1050 also decrimps the primer pocket in the process, which would be a big time savings.

LSP552
03-01-2017, 10:12 PM
I'm probably 350 - 400 an hr because I don't stage primer tubes. And I get board so it's hard for me to just sit and load. I love to shoot, hate to reload. I have a buddy who actually enjoys reloading......how sick is that? :D

I'm debating a 650 with goodies.

JM Campbell
03-02-2017, 09:39 AM
I cranked out 800 on last Saturday taking my time I was just at 2.5 hours. Primer tubes were prepped before loading.
Dillon 550