PDA

View Full Version : Origami-Inspired Ballistic Shield

Chance
02-21-2017, 06:10 PM
I didn't really think this belonged in the law enforcement section, so I posted it in the Romper Room. Via Laughing Squid (http://laughingsquid.com/an-origami-inspired-ballistic-shield-designed-to-stop-bullets-and-protect-law-enforcement/):

Mechanical engineering professors Larry Howell and Terri Bateman and their colleagues at Brigham Young University have developed an origami-inspired ballistic shield that can be easily transported and quickly deployed to stop bullets and protect law enforcement. Howell and Bateman say their prototype can be deployed in five seconds, weighs about half as much as steel barriers currently in use, and was able to stop bullets from 9mm, .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum handguns in testing.

The barrier uses a Yoshimura origami crease pattern that allows it to be both quickly deployed and easily folded down to a portable size when not in use. The pattern also shapes the barrier around the person it’s protecting, offering more protection than a flat design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ezsOeX5mQ

I kind of wondered what kept the shield upright, but since pistol rounds really don't have that much energy, I guess a robust erection (heh) scaffolding wasn't necessary. Thoughts?

Mr_White
02-21-2017, 06:15 PM
1. I think it is going to need more than a lack of momentum on the part of the projectiles to stay upright.

2. Origami isn't really legit until I see a sink fold, or a petal fold at least, in that bad boy. Yeah, yeah, your post says 'Origami-inspired.' Goal posts = moved!

3. It better be a square if I unfold that shit.

Chance
02-21-2017, 06:30 PM
1. I think it is going to need more than a lack of momentum on the part of the projectiles to stay upright.

That's what I thought. It looks like there's a base the officer can stand on to provide stability.

2. Origami isn't really legit until I see a sink fold, or a petal fold at least, in that bad boy. Yeah, yeah, your post says 'Origami-inspired.' Goal posts = moved!

I don't know what those words mean, and can thus not respond.

3. It better be a square if I unfold that shit.

This is classic "inside the box" thinking.

Hambo
02-21-2017, 06:42 PM
OK, that's cool, but I can't figure out what I would do with it.

Chance
02-21-2017, 06:49 PM

That's why I'm asking. This looks like a classic, "solution in search of a problem" thing.

GuanoLoco
02-21-2017, 06:52 PM

Probably turtle up on the asphalt and pull it over top of you for 360 degree protection until the critical incident is over.

:p

Mr_White
02-21-2017, 06:55 PM
That's why I'm asking. This looks like a classic, "solution in search of a problem" thing.

What do you mean 'in search of a problem'? I can think of a couple problems right off the top of my head:

1. hold the edges and jump off a roof - if it doesn't break my fall as would a parachute, I consider that a problem

2. if you put it on the ground rotated 90 degrees clockwise from the orientation in the picture, it looks like it would have three handy v-shaped areas in which to put pens and pencils so they don't roll off

3. needs beverage holders, all problems are now solved

Mr_White
02-21-2017, 06:56 PM
4. where are the gun ports?

Peally
02-21-2017, 06:58 PM

When the amliems board your ship you can throw together makeshift cover.

DocGKR
02-21-2017, 07:22 PM
So a 50 lbs folding LIIIa handgun only shield is better than a 16 lbs LIII rifle capable AMI shield how???

(http://armoredmobility.com/products_shield.php)

hufnagel
02-21-2017, 07:52 PM
you know, there was a nova program on recently about origami called "The Origami Revolution" and how it's being used in new and novel ways. pretty neat program.

that's it, I got nothing else to contribute to this thread.

Hambo
02-21-2017, 07:55 PM
So a 50 lbs folding LIIIa handgun only shield is better than a 16 lbs LIII rifle capable AMI shield how???

Exactly. Rather than jump out of 4000 pounds of cover and open a fifty pound ballistic umbrella, I'd use said cover and engage whoever is shooting at me. The money would be better spent on long guns, rifle armor, and helmets for patrol.

Chance
02-22-2017, 11:36 AM

(http://armoredmobility.com/products_shield.php)

I guess because it funded some grad students. Sixteen pounds is surprisingly light.

Gray222
02-22-2017, 11:50 AM
I saw one of these types once...Though it was supposed to stop a 20lb gunpowder blast from affecting people surrounding it.

Yeah...No.

Mr. Goodtimes
02-22-2017, 04:43 PM
This thing looks gayer than a bag of dicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST911
02-22-2017, 07:32 PM
It's easy to make fun, but thinking outside the box...

temporary barrier in a drop kit for a warm zone CCP
shelter in place kit for home, EP travel
other uses in which a ballistic blanket might be desirable but has not been portable enough for thus far

Let's see what they do with it.

john c
02-24-2017, 08:19 PM
It's gotta be a spoof. I mean, seriously, college students supporting the police?

DocGKR
02-24-2017, 10:39 PM
ST911--those are all good things, but nothing that other current lightweight shields cannot already accomplish.

Sigfan26
02-24-2017, 11:10 PM
It's easy to make fun, but thinking outside the box...

temporary barrier in a drop kit for a warm zone CCP
shelter in place kit for home, EP travel
other uses in which a ballistic blanket might be desirable but has not been portable enough for thus far

Let's see what they do with it.

An excellent option if shrapnel is the concern. Against a determined opponent with a handgun? It's stationary kevlar. Against an opponent with a rifle? It's nothing more than "The Emperor's New Clothes"

hufnagel
02-25-2017, 08:03 PM
you know, there was a nova program on recently about origami called "The Origami Revolution" and how it's being used in new and novel ways. pretty neat program.

that's it, I got nothing else to contribute to this thread.

Quoting myself because as it turns out, this exact product is on this show at time code 43 minutes in.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/origami-revolution.html

In fact the construction sequence used shown in the OP's video is shown in the PBS episode, albet a lot slower.

Pretty sure my fellow egg heads on this board will find this show interesting. I know I did (am actually, still watching it. :D )

TGS
02-25-2017, 10:53 PM
My biggest problem with it is that its capabilities are limited against rifle, and thus it's effectively useless in today's threat environment.