PDA

View Full Version : Head position at different distances?

NickDrak
12-11-2011, 03:34 PM
When shooting at closer distances with pistol (Contact distance out to 10yds) I have always brought my head/eyes down slightly to meet the pistol during rapid fire drills. Until very recently this had also translated over to when I had to take more precise shots at 15yds and beyond. I guess I never really paid much attention to my head position when shooting slower, more precise shots vs. shooting multiple, rapid fire drills @ "CQB" distances.

Last week while finishing up a range session with a 25yd 10rd slow-fire marksmanship drill on an NRA B-8 target for score, I initially defaulted to bringing my head/eyes down to the pistol for my first shot. I immediately found it difficult to get a good focus on my front sight and stopped for a second to adjust my eyes a bit to clear things up. I found that positioning my head/neck/eyes perfectly erect and bringing the pistol/sights up to my eyes made it much easier for me to focus. I squeezed off my first few rounds and immediately noticed a huge improvement with my sight picture for each shot compared to my previous struggles at 25yds and beyond. I ended up shooting a 96 on the drill which is as good as I have ever shot this drill @ 25yds.

I know this is not ground breaking information for anyone here by any means, but I am just curious who uses different head positions when shooting CQB distances vs. 15yds+ and is there a noticeable improvement in your accuracy when you shoot more heads up at distance vs. bringing your head down to the sights????

Stay safe,
Nick

ToddG
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I've seen people recommend different grip, stance, head position, etc. when shooting at distance. The problem I have with all that is that it forces the shooter to make adjustments which are easy on a quiet square range with distance markers but probably not so easy in a dynamic situation where the only way to measure distance is by eyeball.