PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Holster Broke

seabiscuit
12-09-2011, 08:44 PM
My Clipper from Alabama Holster just broke as I was putting it on. The clip snapped where it joins the main body of the holster.

Any recommendations on a holster that will provide a similar ride height, IWB at 4 o'clock with forward cant?

VolGrad
12-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Not surprised really.

I found the owner/maker to be one helluva nice guy but wasn't impressed at all with the holsters. I tried several different models. They ranged from mediocre to WTF?

I know they have a following with some of the regular GSSF shooters but I suspect it's about the personal relationship rather than the quality of the product.

LittleLebowski
12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Why not contact the manufacturer and see if he'll replace it?

VolGrad
12-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not contact the manufacturer and see if he'll replace it?

I know the maker would make it right. But you'd have a replacement that would likely break in the same spot. I cut my losses with them early on.

seabiscuit
12-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I know the maker would make it right. But you'd have a replacement that would likely break in the same spot. I cut my losses with them early on.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'll have him replace it for now, so I have something, but I need something better for long term.

seabiscuit
12-10-2011, 02:13 PM
I tried several different models. They ranged from mediocre to WTF?

Did you try the 360? And what did you switch to after Alabama?

VolGrad
12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
I know I tried a Hooker and either the Ranger or Slider. I think the names have changed since I tried them.

I have tried most of the kydex makers at some point. I won't link to another forum but if you GOOGLE ( volgrad what holster makers do you recommend ) you will see a link listing all the ones I've tried. I haven't updated the list in a while either so there are probably more not yet listed there.

The only holsters I use now are Personal Security Systems ( http://www.psholsters.com/ ). I do still have a couple of Comp-Tac paddles but RARELY use them.

seabiscuit
12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I know I tried a Hooker and either the Ranger or Slider. I think the names have changed since I tried them.

I have tried most of the kydex makers at some point. I won't link to another forum but if you GOOGLE ( volgrad what holster makers do you recommend ) you will see a link listing all the ones I've tried. I haven't updated the list in a while either so there are probably more not yet listed there.

The only holsters I use now are Personal Security Systems ( http://www.psholsters.com/ ). I do still have a couple of Comp-Tac paddles but RARELY use them.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. Looks like Personal Security holsters would ride to high for me - that's the problem I had with the Cane and Derby Pardus.

MEH
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I've used an Infidel from Comp-Tac for two years now. It looks to have similar geometry.

seabiscuit
12-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Beastfrog, what belt attachment are you using? I really like the looks of that holster.

secondstoryguy
12-12-2011, 12:15 AM
I've been using Alabama Holster's stuff for a while and it's treated me well even though I haven't treated it the same. Maybe you just got a bad one.

seabiscuit
12-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah I've had this for about six months. I just can't trust it anymore. Only other option would be the 360, but I want quick on/off.

Wendell
12-12-2011, 08:11 AM
The Infidel belt clip is as fast on-and-off as it gets. It's not the most comfortable holster around, but the belt-clipped Infidel is very convenient when you're required to arm and disarm with some regularity.

I wish they would make one with a neutral and/or reverse cant.

seabiscuit
12-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Just ordered the Infidel with the leather IWB loops. I figured the clip could have the same problems I had with the Clipper: breaking, and coming off when I don't want it to.

I might modify it by rounding some corners on the bottom and removing all or part of the sweat guard.

MEH
12-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Beastfrog, what belt attachment are you using? I really like the looks of that holster.

The standard clip. I have to disarm occasionally and the clip is great for that. I have the loops for it but have never tried them yet. Probably just get another clip if this one ever breaks.

VolGrad
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM

I tried the Infidel with both the std easy on/off and the snap loops. I like the design but never found it to be comfortable. I no longer own them.

Sparks2112
12-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I've found the Comptac Mtac and Ctac as well as the paddle and belt holster to be excellent.

zml342
12-12-2011, 03:14 PM
My main holster, as of right now, is the Infidel. I like the design and it has good retention, but it isn't always the most comfortable. I've been able to wear it at both 3-4 o'clock, as well as AIWB.

As an AIWB holster I find that I have to change it's position depending on what jeans I am wearing.

I found that the clip would unhook if my body shifted too much, but it was very convenient for getting on/off. The loops I found to be too bulky and would print way too much. I ended up putting my RCS loops on instead, which barely print in comparison.

seabiscuit
12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Received the Infidel today with leather loops. The loops are pretty bulky. I might trim them down a bit.
I also ordered some rubber Blade-Tech loops. Less than $10 shipped from eBay. Hopefully they'll work better.

Even so, this holster feels and fits great. The pistol rides extremely close and drawing is smooth and easy.

seabiscuit
12-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Installed the Blade-Tech rubber loops today. They're much slimmer and sturdier. Now this holster is perfect for me.