PDA

View Full Version : Temporary holster for HK P30

oaharoni
03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi all,
I am new to owning and carrying a pistol.
I just bought myself a HK P30 (boy, it's sweet, thanks Todd G), and ordered both a Raven concealment and a Mitch Rosen holster (which I read are considered pretty good).
The "problem" is that they both take about 3 months to arrive.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent ready-made holster for the P30 that I can use till they are made for me?

JV_
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I recently ordered a Blade-Tech, for a P30, and it came in about 2 weeks.

gtmtnbiker98
03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Check out Comp-Tac or Occidental, you'll have a great holster in a week or so.

JonInWA
03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Another alternative could be a Zip Slide from The Wilderness; see www.thewilderness.com you'll probably need to call them to establish if they have one on hand that'll fit properly. I've found them to be very responsive and accomodating in the past.

(And not that there's anything wrong with the Blade-Tech holsters-I've been pleased with their IWB and Nano models in particular).

Best, Jon

lindertw
03-04-2011, 07:09 AM
I’ve been carrying my HK P30 for ~1 year using a CCC Shaggy AIWB holster. A recent heart attack and resultant heart catheter procedure via femoral artery has left me a bit sensitive in the area where my AIWB usually resides, so an OWB holster was needed.

I had Talon Tactical A10 years ago for a 1911 I no longer own. A quick check of TT’s (http://www.talontactical.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=13&Itemid=64) page found that they didn’t list holsters for the P30, so I PM’d Mike to see if he’d make one if I sent along my blue gun.

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/a10_p30_1.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/a10_p30_2.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/a10_p30_5.jpg

Shortly after it arrived I was able to begin carrying with my shaggy again, so I never really got any range time with it... Price and turnaround were reasonable.

oaharoni
03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I just ordered a holster from occidental and a belt from the belt man! Can't wait till it arrives.

gtmtnbiker98
03-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I just ordered a holster from occidental and a belt from the belt man! Can't wait till it arrives.Marc at Occidental will treat you right!

oaharoni
03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Also, will a mag holder for the USP 9mm or P2000 fit the the one for the P30?

gtmtnbiker98
03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Also, will a mag holder for the USP 9mm or P2000 fit the the one for the P30?Depends, leather or kydex?

oaharoni
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Why would it matter if its leather or kydex?
Wouldn't they be the same size regardless of make? (Sorry, newb here)

orionz06
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Why would it matter if its leather or kydex?
Wouldn't they be the same size regardless of make? (Sorry, newb here)

Kydex is molded exactly to the magazine, no give in shape. Leather has some give and will generally accept magazines of almost the same size.

JV_
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Many kydex mag pouches have tension adjustment screws, like Blade-Tech and Kytac. It's pretty easy to make them fit a wide range of magazines. I use my Kytac pouches for my P30 and Glock mags.

I would be very careful using a leather pouch, without adjustment screws, for magazines slightly larger than what it was made for, you may end up stretching it enough so it's too big for the original mag.

oaharoni
03-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Ok, so I guess my next newb question would be why would one prefer one type over the other? Is it more an aesthetic choice? Function? Comfort?

JV_
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't have a material preference, I have a size, ride and adjustability preference.

Ride: I like mag pouches that aren't too bulky and keep the mag close to my body (for concealed carry).

Size: I like them to be about 2" deep. I want to get a really good grip on the mag before I start removing it from the pouch, having less of the mag covered up helps for this. I also like shallow pouches so I can get my index finger on the bullet tip more easily - which helps me with indexing it for mag changes.

Adjustability: It helps me keep fewer pouches on hand (less $$ spent) for when/if I change guns.

gtmtnbiker98
03-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Ok, so I guess my next newb question would be why would one prefer one type over the other? Is it more an aesthetic choice? Function? Comfort?Personal preference and application drives the decision making. For range and competition, it's kydex for me. For concealed carry, I prefer leather for both holster and pouches due primarily to comfort. For duty, the decision is already made for me, it has to be leather with fold over enclosures.

As for your question, why the difference between kydex and leather. It's already been summarized, "some" kydex manufacturers have built in retention screws where other's do not. As for leather, it has more give; however, permanent stretching can occur when using a magazine that is too large.

Savage Hands
03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I just ordered a holster from occidental and a belt from the belt man! Can't wait till it arrives.

Good job :cool:

Frank B
03-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent ready-made holster for the P30 that I can use till they are made for me?
Try the Safariland #27, it works well for me. It should be available and is not really to pricey for a temporary holster.