PDA

View Full Version : Appendix mag pouches

breakingtime91
02-12-2017, 03:04 PM
So I have been on the search for the past year for a mag pouch that allowed me a level of concealment I was comfortable with. Behind the hip owb or iwb either printed too much of was uncomfortable and that led to me not carrying a reload. Recently I switched back to Glock, a glock 19 to be exact, and decided to give appendix mag pouches a try.

I bought two different kind of designs, a JM and a Master Mind Tactics. I am a huge fan of Tony's work and use his appendix holsters almost exclusively because they work best for MY body and he is a great guy to work with. With that said, the mastermind mag pouch works best for my body and needs. The single attachment point appears solid and is lower profile then the options available for the JM. The construction of both is superb and I am happy that I purchases both.

If you are in search of a method to carry a spare magazine, neither will do you a disservice but for the price the Master Mind is well worth it.

Olim9
02-12-2017, 03:29 PM
I want to carry a reload AIWB at the at the 11 o'clock position but I can't do it due to the bulk of straps on my belt. I wear a Volundgear G-Hook Slim belt so all those securing straps add a significant amount of layers that make my JMCK clip on mag pouch impossible to attatch. Because of this, I carry a reload in my left back pocket which I know is inadequate.

Any workaround to this? I don't want to mess with offsetting my belt because it makes wearing it uncomfortable so I've been looking for a gunbelt that is as slim thickness wise as the atlas slim but doesn't have that excess bulk in the front. I've been meaning to check out the wilderness tactical frequent flyer belt, does anyone have any experience with one?

SLG
02-12-2017, 03:40 PM
I want to carry a reload AIWB at the at the 11 o'clock position but I can't do it due to the bulk of straps on my belt. I wear a Volundgear G-Hook Slim belt so all those securing straps add a significant amount of layers that make my JMCK clip on mag pouch impossible to attatch. Because of this, I carry a reload in my left back pocket which I know is inadequate.

Any workaround to this? I don't want to mess with offsetting my belt because it makes wearing it uncomfortable so I've been looking for a gunbelt that is as slim thickness wise as the atlas slim but doesn't have that excess bulk in the front. I've been meaning to check out the wilderness tactical frequent flyer belt, does anyone have any experience with one?

The Wilderness belts are the standard to which all others strive for. I have many of them, some are 22 years old.

I currently wear the Slim EDC belt from Mastermind, and it is far and away my prefered EDC belt. It will do what you want.

blues
02-12-2017, 03:41 PM
So I have been on the search for the past year for a mag pouch that allowed me a level of concealment I was comfortable with. Behind the hip owb or iwb either printed too much of was uncomfortable and that led to me not carrying a reload. Recently I switched back to Glock, a glock 19 to be exact, and decided to give appendix mag pouches a try.

I bought two different kind of designs, a JM and a Master Mind Tactics. I am a huge fan of Tony's work and use his appendix holsters almost exclusively because they work best for MY body and he is a great guy to work with. With that said, the mastermind mag pouch works best for my body and needs. The single attachment point appears solid and is lower profile then the options available for the JM. The construction of both is superb and I am happy that I purchases both.

If you are in search of a method to carry a spare magazine, neither will do you a disservice but for the price the Master Mind is well worth it.

I think Mack said they're off the site currently while they finish up a design change. I've been using an old Ky-Tac mag pouch lately. (I have both IWB and OWB but these are from the late 90's and I'm sure things have evolved quite a bit since I received them.)

I'll be very interested in seeing what Mack's new design looks like.

blues
02-12-2017, 03:45 PM
I currently wear the Slim EDC belt from Mastermind, and it is far and away my prefered EDC belt. It will do what you want.

^^^This.^^^ I've been wearing both the coyote and black EDC belts from Master Mind and just recently their EDC 2 in black / coyote.
Very low profile with just the right amount of rigidity. Great quality at a great price.

Wondering Beard
02-12-2017, 03:52 PM
The Wilderness belts are the standard to which all others strive for. I have many of them, some are 22 years old.

Same here, They're still what I wear daily.

breakingtime91
02-12-2017, 04:02 PM

Second this. I have a mastermind edc belt also and plan on getting a second this week. I think this belt more then the appendix mag pouch is why it works for me.

awmp
02-12-2017, 04:06 PM
Pictures?

breakingtime91
02-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Pictures?

I'll try to get some later today. I'm interested in what product redesign he is doing, I'll probably pick up a second.

vcdgrips
02-12-2017, 04:27 PM
BT91

I have been running a Snake Eater Tactical Pouch as my primary AIWB pouch for about the last 3 months. Secure, fast and definitely low profile. 20.00 shipped with a 7 day wait max when I ordered. I had decent success with an Alabama Holster Co IWB pouch circa 2012 in Kydex but the Snake Eater one is far more comfortable given its hybrid nylon/elastic construction.

http://www.snakeeatertactical.com/product/iwb-magazine-pouch/

breakingtime91
02-12-2017, 04:38 PM
BT91

I have been running a Snake Eater Tactical Pouch as my primary AIWB pouch for about the last 3 months. Secure, fast and definitely low profile. 20.00 shipped with a 7 day wait max when I ordered. I had decent success with an Alabama Holster Co IWB pouch circa 2012 in Kydex but the Snake Eater one is far more comfortable given its hybrid nylon/elastic construction.

http://www.snakeeatertactical.com/product/iwb-magazine-pouch/

I saw that one also and it reminded me of the blue force gear pouches. How is it for putting a mag back in it? No a huge deal for ccw but I'm thinking training with it.

blues
02-12-2017, 05:50 PM
Master Mind Tactics' new/updated AIWB mag carriers (https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop-1/aiwb-magazine-carrier) are back online.

Mack
02-12-2017, 06:09 PM
First I want to thank everyone for the interest in our products, for the continued support, and for sharing your experiences and thoughts.
The magazine carriers have undergone a slight re-design, the mounting attachment was changed which necessitated a redesign of the carrier itself. Currently the mag carriers come in two offerings but the selection will be expanded in the coming future.
I wanted to share a link to our 2017 product release thread in the Supporting Business Section, where pics/info about our new products can be found; I just posted a few pictures of the new magazine carrier design there.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?24200-Mastermind-Tactics-2017-New-Product-Releases

blues
02-12-2017, 07:28 PM
These are what I have been using. Built by Dave Elderton of KyTac back in the mid to late 90's and still work pretty darn well. Essentially one piece of kydex.

The AIWB / IWB is on the left and OWB on the right. G19 magazine in each:

Gray222
02-12-2017, 08:12 PM
I thought we already had a thread on this?

Anyway, best one I've found is the safariland plastic universal iwb pouch...

http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/04/safariland-iwb-mag-pouch-flexible.html

Safariland also makes a cloth one that is OK but it's huge and isn't comfortable.

I also have tried a bianchi russett and that isn't bad either it's just leather and the mag's stick easily.

All the above should be run with a 21 rnd mag and bigger because anything less will make quick deployment very difficult.

I have ended up just carry back up. It's easier and more comfortable, not as fast but then again I'm not timing my reloads.

breakingtime91
02-12-2017, 08:15 PM
I find the mastermind or JM to be well worth the money if u haven't tried one. Also I am getting fine reload speeds with a stanadard oem glock 17 mag out of either.. We may of had a thread of this but since the mastermind is a relatively new pouch at an affordable price, I thought I would share my thoughts.

Also the straight drop on the pouch you linked would be a no go for me.

Gray222
02-13-2017, 07:38 AM
I find the mastermind or JM to be well worth the money if u haven't tried one. Also I am getting fine reload speeds with a stanadard oem glock 17 mag out of either.. We may of had a thread of this but since the mastermind is a relatively new pouch at an affordable price, I thought I would share my thoughts.

Also the straight drop on the pouch you linked would be a no go for me.

The clip moves and allows a cant.

The sneak eater pouch looks like it would work well but even still, an owb pouch seems to be best carry method it seems for both comfort and speeds.

orionz06
02-13-2017, 07:46 AM
The PHLster Skeleton (http://www.snakehoundmachine.com/product/skeleton-universal-magazine-carrier/) pouch is rather decent. I just got set up to be a dealer for their tourniquet carriers and snagged a pouch for myself. I still see room for the one I make but one could spend $30-$40 far worse for sure.

breakingtime91
02-13-2017, 07:49 AM
The clip moves and allows a cant.

The sneak eater pouch looks like it would work well but even still, an owb pouch seems to be best carry method it seems for both comfort and speeds.

Have you tried the JM or mastermind?

Gray222
02-13-2017, 07:58 AM
Have you tried the JM or mastermind?

I have the JM. The mastermind looks like a kydex version of the russett.

Either work for my body type, I'm just not comfortable enough to wear them constantly.

breakingtime91
02-13-2017, 08:01 AM
I have the JM. The mastermind looks like a kydex version of the russett.

Either work for my body type, I'm just not comfortable enough to wear them constantly.

Ah ok tracking. If I grab a second mastermind, I'll send you one to test out if you want.

Gray222
02-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Ah ok tracking. If I grab a second mastermind, I'll send you one to test out if you want.

Appreciate it.

LittleLebowski
02-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Appreciate it.

Do you need $19? :D

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop-1/aiwb-magazine-carrier

Gray222
02-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Do you need $19? :D

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop-1/aiwb-magazine-carrier

I mean, if you are offering?

I literally have a box of iwb mag pouches, what's one more, right?

LittleLebowski
02-13-2017, 09:49 AM
I mean, if you are offering?

I literally have a box of iwb mag pouches, what's one more, right?

If you want one, I'll buy ya one. I've tried AIWB mag pouches, I keep coming back to the simplicity of a clip on Kytex mag carrier (https://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/glock-172231-mag-carrier/).

vcdgrips
02-13-2017, 09:54 AM
BT91

The snake eater is great for a lower profile CCW. The elastic used in its construction makes reinserting the mag a 2 handed operation. Before I found it, I had sworn off AIWB kydex mag carriers as simply not comfortable enough, particularly with a full sized Glock mag for the G34/35. For a basic OWB mag pouch, I am partial to the CCC closed belt loop model or the polymer offerings of both Glock and the Safarailand universal.

Gray222
02-13-2017, 09:55 AM
If you want one, I'll buy ya one. I've tried AIWB mag pouches, I keep coming back to the simplicity of a clip on Kytex mag carrier (https://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/glock-172231-mag-carrier/).

Appreciate it, like I said, I've gone through a bunch of various types. I almost always keep coming back to back pocket carry for comfort as speed is negligible.

On duty a run open top mag pouches up front, OWB. Can't do that off duty.

Dropkick
02-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Another JM Custom Kydex AIWB Mag Pouch user here!
http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-SPMP.html

I first started out with hard split loop on it, and then converted it to a soft single loop. I'm very happy with it now.

Isaac
03-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Tony, or anyone who knows..

The diff b/w the AIWB mag holder for a G19 vs G17 mag would be just how deep it sits? The same amount of mag would be grabbed above the belt? Does that make sense?

Gray222
03-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Tony, or anyone who knows..

The diff b/w the AIWB mag holder for a G19 vs G17 mag would be just how deep it sits? The same amount of mag would be grabbed above the belt? Does that make sense?

Should be whatever is comfortable for you specifically, hence the ride height adjustment with pull the dot's.

You should also be reloading from a large capacity mag.

Isaac
03-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I guess my question is: are the G17 and G19 mag holders the exact same?

Dropkick
03-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Should be whatever is comfortable for you specifically, hence the ride height adjustment with pull the dot's.

You should also be reloading from a large capacity mag.

Aren't the adjustment holes on the PTD loops for different belt sizes? Ride height is determined by where the snap backer is attached on the pouch / holster.

hiro
03-02-2017, 06:00 PM
Aren't the adjustment holes on the PTD loops for different belt sizes? Ride height is determined by where the snap backer is attached on the pouch / holster.

Won't they do both? I've just used the PTD loops to change height as I only have 1.5" belts but between the holes on the loop and the holes ont he holster I get a fair amount of adjustment.

Dropkick
03-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Won't they do both? I've just used the PTD loops to change height as I only have 1.5" belts but between the holes on the loop and the holes ont he holster I get a fair amount of adjustment.

Sure you can make the loop size 2.0" for a 1.5" belt and use the 0.5" slop to change the height level and hope it stays there from pressure / friction.

But personally, I'm not the kind of guy who likes to put his belt in a sloppy loop. ;)

Gray222
03-03-2017, 10:18 AM

I don't use them for that, I use them for height.

Tony Mayer
03-03-2017, 01:42 PM
I guess my question is: are the G17 and G19 mag holders the exact same?

Isaac, no they are not the same. The 17 pouch has about 1.5" of mag to grasp, the 19 has about 1.25". You can run a 17 in a 19, but it will be high and want to roll out probably, you can run a 19 in a 17, but it will buried in the pouch. Hope that helps, thanks.