PDA

View Full Version : Cartel War news-Eds Manifesto

Eastex
02-10-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm following Eds Manifesto on Instagram and he has been posting some hair raising news from the wars going on in Mexico since El Chapo was extradited to the U.S. How bad is it? The Mexican Marines cut loose with a mini gun last night in the middle of a city. Great guy to follow anyway, but he's really plugged into what's going on down there right now. https://instagram.com/p/BQUV01WDD4F/

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

RJ
02-10-2017, 08:11 PM
I've been quietly following Ed on book face for a while.

It is very educational.

The recent series on the cartel war in Sinaloa is eye opening. God bless the ordinary Mexican people caught up in this.

Chuck Haggard
02-10-2017, 08:12 PM
He posted another video on FB which showed what ae basically technicals running around in the middle of a gunfight down there.

Wondering Beard
02-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Îve been following his pages for about a year now (and got in early for a Guadaņa) and his presentation of recent developments should have all of us worried. While Mexico is still far from a failed state, the mess in Sinaloa, the extraordinary corruption of the PRI (and certainly PAN and the PRD), and the other states not being ... let'say not well run, gives an opportunity to a Chavista type of presidential hopeful (probably helped by Chinese and Russian money) to take power.

Mjolnir
02-10-2017, 08:56 PM
I just started following Ed in Instagram and FB. Some CRAZY sh1t happening down there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjolnir
02-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Not sure who is supporting them but with what we are doing ALL UP AND DOWN RUSSIA & CHINA'S BORDERS I cannot but think "why not?"

Doc_Glock
02-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Can anyone tell me his background/bio?

HCM
02-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Can anyone tell me his background/bio?

Former Mexican Federal LE.

HCM
02-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Not sure who is supporting them but with what we are doing ALL UP AND DOWN RUSSIA & CHINA'S BORDERS I cannot but think "why not?"

The cartels don't need anyone to support them.

Keep in mind Mexico has many poor people but it is not a poor country. It has a greater GDP than Australia, the problem is the distribution.

They are also very particular regarding their sovereignty.

Totem Polar
02-11-2017, 02:58 AM
Also been following on IG. Interesting and moderately hair raising, yes. Good to keep an eye on, given how close the conflict is.

Problem is, his IG keeps making me hungry for tacos; I've really upped my intake this year.

HCM
02-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Also been following on IG. Interesting and moderately hair raising, yes. Good to keep an eye on, given how close the conflict is.

Problem is, his IG keeps making me hungry for tacos; I've really upped my intake this year.

You know this is nothing new? Yes? It's been going on over 10 years now.

You know the cartels have shot down a few Mexican LE and military helicopters and at least one U.S. LE helicopter in Laredo, TX, in the past few years, yes ?

While not a common occurrence, RPG's hitting the U.S. Consulate in Nuevo Laredo are not unheard of.

3kaiju
02-11-2017, 02:18 PM
HCM, I'll admit it: it wasn't until I read some things on Ed's manifesto that led me to looking into it, did I realize that this had been going on for a while.
To your other points: first I've heard of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HCM
02-11-2017, 02:25 PM
HCM, I'll admit it: it wasn't until I read some things on Ed's manifesto that led me to looking into it, did I realize that this had been going on for a while.
To your other points: first I've heard of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's all open source:

http://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/CBP-in-Laredo-to-get-Black-Hawk-helicopters-amid-9998983.php

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/world/americas/mexican-helicopter-shot-down-killing-3-soldiers.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/07/gang-shoots-down-police-helicopter-in-mexico-leaving-four-dead/

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/april122010/mexico-memo.php

HCM
02-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Like the Wu-Tang Clan, the Mexican Marines ain't nothin to fuck with :

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2017/02/the-end-of-h2-graphic-content.html

SLG
02-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Like the Wu-Tang Clan, the Mexican Marines ain't nothin to fuck with :

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2017/02/the-end-of-h2-graphic-content.html

Good press, afaic.

PNWTO
02-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Wow... I was in Nayarit right before Thanksgiving. Definitely an "Old School Rules" kind of place. Mazatlan and Tepic are definitely shitholes now and I can't see how Mazatlan is still promoted as a tourist destination given it is essentially Indian country away from the tourist areas. Even Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta are starting to get some bleed over.

Lost River
02-11-2017, 10:04 PM
The dead drug traffickers will be replaced in no time at all, and it will be business as usual.

A big part of the problem is cultural. In a country where drug traffickers are looked up to like sports stars are in America, it is no surprise. They have music group/bands sing all about their exploits, and put them on a pedestal in pop culture.

Drug dealers are higher on the social ladder than cops or military for a large part of the population, so the results are to be pretty much expected.

In a country where virtually almost EVERYONE in any form of government/law enforcement/military/politics is on the take, and graft and corruption are part of that culture, it is no surprise that the failed state of Mexico is in the shape it is in.

That said, they need to clean it up themselves.

fishing
02-11-2017, 10:14 PM

Keep in mind Mexico has many poor people but it is not a poor country. It has a greater GDP than Australia, the problem is the distribution.

source on what's bolded above?

i am finding contrary info from good sources...

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/mexico/gdp - "The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Mexico was worth 1143.79 billion US dollars in 2015."
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp - "The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Australia was worth 1339.54 billion US dollars in 2015."

blues
02-11-2017, 10:16 PM
La mordida ya vive

fishing
02-11-2017, 10:18 PM
The dead drug traffickers will be replaced in no time at all, and it will be business as usual.

A big part of the problem is cultural. In a country where drug traffickers are looked up to like sports stars are in America, it is no surprise. They have music group/bands sing all about their exploits, and put them on a pedestal in pop culture.

Drug dealers are higher on the social ladder than cops or military for a large part of the population, so the results are to be pretty much expected.

In a country where virtually almost EVERYONE in any form of government/law enforcement/military/politics is on the take, and graft and corruption are part of that culture, it is no surprise that the failed state of Mexico is in the shape it is in.

That said, they need to clean it up themselves.

sure there are narcocorridos etc, but the link you are trying to establish here seems a bit shaky and frankly US popular music also does plenty to glamorize all sorts of criminal behavior...
narcos on netflix, which in some ways clearly glamorizes drug lords is a very popular show here.

aside from the bribery/corruption/etc that you mentioned is rampant, i think a specific identifiable feature that aids many south of the border drug figures is a sort of "robin hood" type persona that they play to max. influence on dirt poor people

HCM
02-11-2017, 11:11 PM
source on what's bolded above?

i am finding contrary info from good sources...

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/mexico/gdp - "The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Mexico was worth 1143.79 billion US dollars in 2015."
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp - "The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Australia was worth 1339.54 billion US dollars in 2015."

Here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

Even world bank stats for 2015 /2016 show Mexico 15th in the world in GDP - hardly a "poor country".

fishing
02-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Here: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

Even world bank stats for 2015 /2016 show Mexico 15th in the world in GDP - hardly a "poor country".

gdp <> gdp PPP

HCM
02-11-2017, 11:36 PM
gdp <> gdp PPP

Ok so GDP - using world bank figures Mexico has been steady 15th in the world to Australia's 11th of 12th.

So again - the point is Mexico is not a poor country. It is a comparatively rich country with many poor people, little to no middle class and an extreme disparity in income distribution. I can attest to this from first hand experience, not just internet statistics.

This income disparity drives the "robinhood" complex you cited to lost river.

Speaking of Narcocorridos, just because we have a plethora of scumbags in the US sports and entertainment industries, it does not make the narcorriadors innocent. They are still scumbags.

Wondering Beard
02-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Ok so GDP - using world bank figures Mexico has been steady 15th in the world to Australia's 11th of 12th.

So again - the point is Mexico is not a poor country. It is a comparatively rich country with many poor people, little to no middle class and an extreme disparity in income distribution. I can attest to this from first hand experience, not just internet statistics.

This income disparity drives the "robinhood" complex you cited to lost river.

Speaking of Narcocorridos, just because we have a plethora of scumbags in the US sports and entertainment industries, it does not make the narcorriadors innocent. They are still scumbags.

Mexico is a potentially very rich nation that is horribly mismanaged, going back to the institutions set up in the 1910 revolution (if not before).

Yes, it has huge disparity in income distribution, but it does have a rather large middle class (a lot of which gets in government work because income is more secure there than in the private sector but they are not even close to a majority). The Robin Hood effect you talk about is not about income disparity, nor even economical opportunity; it's about a fundamental distrust of societal institutions (gov't ones in particular) that get used to benefit those at the top (laws are for the "little people") while at the same time accepting that "this is the way things work" since Mexico was still a possession of the Spanish crown.

Emiliano Zapata and Pancho Villa are still idolized today, not because of their economical ideas (Zapata's agrarian reform concepts have been, in the main, applied and keep the farmers very poor) which even Mexican leftists, nowadays, find quite unworkable, but because they represent a refusal to bow down to "the system". There is a difference between having a country where the rich are wealthy beyond imagination but the average guy still thinks "the system" will be fair to him and a similar one where the average guy expects to be mistreated by "the system".

HCM
02-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Mexico is a potentially very rich nation that is horribly mismanaged, going back to the institutions set up in the 1910 revolution (if not before).

Yes, it has huge disparity in income distribution, but it does have a rather large middle class (a lot of which gets in government work because income is more secure there than in the private sector but they are not even close to a majority). The Robin Hood effect you talk about is not about income disparity, nor even economical opportunity; it's about a fundamental distrust of societal institutions (gov't ones in particular) that get used to benefit those at the top (laws are for the "little people") while at the same time accepting that "this is the way things work" since Mexico was still a possession of the Spanish crown.

Emiliano Zapata and Pancho Villa are still idolized today, not because of their economical ideas (Zapata's agrarian reform concepts have been, in the main, applied and keep the farmers very poor) which even Mexican leftists, nowadays, find quite unworkable, but because they represent a refusal to bow down to "the system". There is a difference between having a country where the rich are wealthy beyond imagination but the average guy still thinks "the system" will be fair to him and a similar one where the average guy expects to be mistreated by "the system".

You are correct but the income disparity plays a part in the circle of distrust since the manipulation of the system helps create and maintain the income disparity and it serves as a reminder of the inequities in the system.

Mjolnir
02-12-2017, 02:04 PM

The cartels *ARE ABSOLUTELY* getting outside assistance.

HCM
02-12-2017, 03:07 PM
The cartels *ARE ABSOLUTELY* getting outside assistance.

If you mean $$$ from US drug users - sure. Otherwise I think you are getting into tinfoil territory. Do you have a source for this claim of outside assistance?

The cartels have the financial resources of a small nation state. That buys professionals with significant expertise. You are talking about organizations which set up their own cell towers and radio comes networks etc.

They are evolving into international players, with presence in China, the philippines and Australia. Pre- cursor chemicals in from china and meth and handguns out to Australia etc.

Many of the families involved in this have been smuggling for generations. Some of them like to play the cartoon character roles but make no mistake - these guys do this shit for a living and they are good at it.

Jeep
02-12-2017, 03:25 PM
If you mean $$$ from US drug users - sure. Otherwise I think you are getting into tinfoil territory.

It has been widely reported that the cartels are linked to the various Mexican political parties, and it has been claimed that they have some influence on the US parties. Whether the latter is true is really hard to tell.

In addition, elements of the cartels have links to North Korea and have been buying weapons from it. Not sure if that is "assistance" since it seems to be commercial transactions, but it certainly has gotten a lot of full auto weapons into cartel hands (and supposedly RPG's as well)

It would not surprise me if the cartels had received technical military assistance from Venezuela in the past given that its military seems to be very wired into drug smuggling. But overall, from what I've read the cartels really are a domestic Mexican phenomena.

HCM
02-12-2017, 04:38 PM
It has been widely reported that the cartels are linked to the various Mexican political parties, and it has been claimed that they have some influence on the US parties. Whether the latter is true is really hard to tell.

In addition, elements of the cartels have links to North Korea and have been buying weapons from it. Not sure if that is "assistance" since it seems to be commercial transactions, but it certainly has gotten a lot of full auto weapons into cartel hands (and supposedly RPG's as well)

It would not surprise me if the cartels had received technical military assistance from Venezuela in the past given that its military seems to be very wired into drug smuggling. But overall, from what I've read the cartels really are a domestic Mexican phenomena.

The Cartels being tied to Mexican political parties is a given but in this case it is cartel $$$ in exchange for intel, influence and access. - What Moljinar is trying to imply is the Russian or Chinese provideing assitance to the cartels to destabilize Mexico - there is no evidence of that.

The cartels have bought military and intel technical assistance from from former Mexican, US and Israeli military members, no reason they couldn't buy assistance from Venezuela. Vitamin M goes a long way.

The North Koreans are involved in drug trafficking weapons trafficking and counterfeiting U.S. $$$ among other things. The Mexicans buy their pre-cursor chemical for meth production from the Chinese so it's possible they are doing business HOWEVER keep in mind South America and particularly Central America have been awash in US and combloc small arms including grenades rpgs etc for decades. In the 90's select fire assault rifles were so common in El Salvador you could get three AK's or M16's for a pistol. The North Koreans and PRC also provided a significant amount of the Combloc small arms used in the Central American insurgrncies so North Korean weapons are not necessarily indicative of a direct link between the cartels and North Kora.

TAZ
02-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Hell. To think that the cartels are not receiving aid from the outside is naive. The USA has given them aid over the years in the form or training and weapons. Granted we have the training to a corrupt MX government, but in the end where did it end up? Los Zetas or whatever they are/were called. Hell the Obama admin ran guns to them direct. To think that cash strapped nations like Vz, NK... wouldn't peddle guns, ammo, explosives their way is ludicrous. Top of all that we have strategic enemies who profit from trouble next to and inside the USA. Of course they are getting help.

Jeep
02-13-2017, 01:55 PM
The North Koreans and PRC also provided a significant amount of the Combloc small arms used in the Central American insurgencies so North Korean weapons are not necessarily indicative of a direct link between the cartels and North Korea.

The Los Angeles Times ran a story a number of years back when the Obama administration was blaming an "iron river" of guns from the US for the violence in Mexico. The Times actually checked and reported that, among other things, the North Koreans used small freighters to smuggle fairly large shipments of arms to the cartels. They would land them at small, cartel-controlled, ports on the Pacific coast. As far as I could tell, those were purely commercial sales and typical of how the Norks raise hard currency.

Anyway, there is apparently no doubt that this happened, but how often it happened and whether it is still happening, I don't know.

Anyway, I appreciate your knowledgeable, on the spot, reporting. Personally I doubt China or Russia are involved in any significant way. Among other things, even if they wanted to create chaos there is no need for them to get involved. The cartels do a good enough job destabilizing things all by themselves.

RevolverRob
02-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Cartels are absolutely acquiring equipment from any and all sources.

And those sources include government agents associated with all five of the permanent UN Security Council members and probably at least strong ties with Bolivia, Japan, Uruguay, and probably Kazahkstan. Make absolutely no mistake about it, Cartels are well funded via US and European currency, but are backed with the political support of various countries around the world.

The United States has a long, long, long, history of supporting various criminal/drug trafficking enterprises globally. Ayub Afridi, anyone? Not ringing a bell? Oh...well he was a guy who smuggled heroin into the United States and in exchange smuggled guns from the United States into Afghanistan to support the anti-communist Mujahideen Rebels during the 1980s. Arrested and convicted of smuggling in the late 1990s and sentenced to 7-years in prison, he was mysteriously, freed immediately after September 11, 2001. You know...when you have a lot of information in your head about how to move things around in a country that a government is fighting a war in, they don't seem to care a lot about you moving some hashish around...

Need I get into the various bits and pieces that are related to Shan Warlords holding control of the Golden Triangle for four decades. Conveniently those same warlords provided important scouts and guides to US Military Operations in North Vietnam, Laos, and China from 1963 or so until about 1975...How did all those 50s/60s/70s/80s era US-made fully automatic guns get into central America in the first place? They weren't exactly freely available on the market here.

Seriously, you're all smarter than this. If you don't recognize or believe that drug cartels operate with at minimum tacit and in most cases direct approval of most of the world's governments, you need to get your brain checked. Drugs are great for business, period. It keeps people distracted from corrupt politicians, it lets governments expand their reach by allowing new government agencies to be formed and agents to be trained. If a government needs to distract, a new mission to weed out drugs is launched. Drugs are universally and socially loathed and therefore keeping them around is great for business. On the covert warfare side of things, if you want to move something illicit around, be it guns, money, or even people, doing it with drugs is the way to go.

HCM
02-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Hell. To think that the cartels are not receiving aid from the outside is naive. The USA has given them aid over the years in the form or training and weapons. Granted we have the training to a corrupt MX government, but in the end where did it end up? Los Zetas or whatever they are/were called. Hell the Obama admin ran guns to them direct. To think that cash strapped nations like Vz, NK... wouldn't peddle guns, ammo, explosives their way is ludicrous. Top of all that we have strategic enemies who profit from trouble next to and inside the USA. Of course they are getting help.

"Help" = getting arms training and intel for free. Of course the cartels buy all kinds of things, expertise too. Hell there are former US military, veterans of Iraq, Afganistan, etc training cartel soldiers. Why? Because there is big money in it.

Any thing the cartels are getting from North Korea, Venezuela etc they are paying cash for - it's a business transaction.

F&F was about US domestic agendas. That rests firmly on Obama and Holder.

Twisting us training Mexican security forces into aid to the cartels is really stretching the tin foil. If there is enough cash for some US military members to go rouge why wouldnt you expect Mexican soldiers to be similarly tempted?

Re: the Zetas, there were 34 original Zetas who were ex Mexican Army special
Forces. All are now dead or in custody. It became a feared brand - a boogey man like the dread pirate Roberts in the princess bride.

HCM
02-17-2017, 01:24 PM

The Mexican Navy and Marines have been solid partners and done some very heavy lifting in this fight. Your claim all US aid and training is support for the cartels is quite insulting.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/death-blo-leader-illustrates-marines-decisive-role-underworld-fight

TAZ
02-17-2017, 03:54 PM
The Mexican Navy and Marines have been solid partners and done some very heavy lifting in this fight. Your claim all US aid and training is support for the cartels is quite insulting.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/death-blo-leader-illustrates-marines-decisive-role-underworld-fight

Didn't claim that all US aid was in support of the cartels. You inferred. Point I was trying to make is that sometimes governments inadvertently end up helping the bad guys. Zetas and mujahideen are just 2 examples where the aid rendered morphed into a threat.

So yes the cartels are getting help. No matter how you choose to define the word help.

Kirk
02-17-2017, 04:24 PM
From the looks of Ed's career, it seems he was in a pretty elite sector of Mexican Federal LE. Based on his interviews and posts, it appears he was a part of a hunter/killer team for a good portion of his career. Great page, have followed it for a couple of years after it was suggested to me from some friends in MMA/combatives circles. The real world application of what he teaches is awesome.