PDA

View Full Version : Tampa to Sanibel getaway ideas

BJXDS
02-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Any recommendations on where they have stayed in the general area, in or between Tampa- Sanibel? Eats-things to do? Thinking about 3 day stay.....

Kanati
02-09-2017, 01:27 PM
If ya make it down to Sanibel, place called Rosie's cafe is your best bet for breakfast. A bit off the beaten path, not too spendy, and the food is excellent.

Doc Fords does a good dinner, they have buffalo shrimp that are out of this world.

My wife swears the best shelling route is to start at the Blind Pass parking area, then work south.

Joe in PNG
02-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Another veteran of near 40 years of Sanibel vacations here.
Check the various vacation condos near the Lighthouse. It's a nice, quiet area with decent beaches, and the fishing pier. Casa Ybel is the place to stay if money is no object.

Fishing is THE thing to do down there, especially inshore fishing for tarpon, reds, snook, and trout. Hire a guide, as I'm not allowed to tell all the really good spots. Most of them will require a boat.

The island has lots of bike paths, and a lot of condos have bikes available. There's a few golf courses, but I'm not into that.

The restaurant at Jerry's Supermarket is our breakfast favorite. The Lighthouse Cafe is also pretty good, but there's usually a line out the door. Which is okay, because there's pretty good shopping there. I'll second and third Doc Ford's. The Sanibel Fish House and the Jacaranda are also pretty good.
For lunch, I'm partial to heading down to Captiva and eating at the Mucky Duck, and follow that up with a visit to the Jungle Drums gallery- home of the Caribbean Soul tshirts.
The Thistle Lodge at Casa Ybel is also pretty good.

RJ
02-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Dunno if you like cars, but near East Naples, the Collier Collection of classic Porsches is open to the public these days:

https://revsinstitute.org/plan-a-visit/

Naples itself is kinda cool, we like visiting the Tin City Waterfront Shops and Restaurants:

https://www.naplesdowntown.com/tincity.htm

Dave Williams
02-11-2017, 05:39 PM
Are there any gun-centric activities around Sanibel? I'm heading down this year.

RJ
02-11-2017, 06:22 PM
We've stopped here in Punta Gorda a couple times: Fisherman's Village

http://www.fishville.com/

On the water, shops, etc.

Beat Trash
02-12-2017, 12:09 AM
For staying on Sanibel, we always go to Sanibel Mornings. Actually got married there on the beach about 5 years ago.

Go to Pinocchio's for ice cream or gelato. It's right by the lighthouse. For groceries, either pick them up before you hit the island or go to Jerry's. Doc Fords new restaurant is good to go. The public beach, Bowmans beach , is a must do. Especially for sunset.

Go to Tarpon Bay, and take the powder boarding tour or the kayaking tour. Both of them are worth the trip.

If I had the money, I'd move to Sanibel upon retiring...

Joe in PNG
02-12-2017, 01:32 AM
Go to Pinocchio's for ice cream or gelato. It's right by the lighthouse. For groceries, either pick them up before you hit the island or go to Jerry's. Doc Fords new restaurant is good to go.
So good.

The public beach, Bowmans beach , is a must do. Especially for sunset.
I'm partial to Blind Pass myself, but our family condo is situated just right to catch the sunset over San Carlos bay. Love watching the sun go down with a nice, old single malt or old rum.

If I had the money, I'd move to Sanibel upon retiring...
You and me both.

ralph
02-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Years ago, I worked with a guy whose father was in the coast guard during WWII, He got lucky, He was stationed on Sanibel for the duration of the war... I used to live in the Ft Myers area in the 80's Sanibel was always a great place to spend a day, If I ever hit the lottery I'd seriously consider buying a condo on Sanibel, and do the snowbird thing...

RJ
02-12-2017, 09:05 AM
Another: the Museum of the Circus in Sarasota was a lot of fun:

https://www.ringling.org/

There is an art museum and other stuff as well. We found it worth a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RJ
02-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Are there any gun-centric activities around Sanibel? I'm heading down this year.

I live in Tampa, and have toured Sanibel (stayed at the Marriott North off the causeway bridge.). Sanibel is very nice and relaxing, we enjoyed it.

I can't really say there is a lot of gun-centric activities on the west coast of Florida, other than ranges/stores.

Locally the Shoot Straight near me in Clearwater has a decent indoor range and a good size storefront.

Shooters World up near USF / North Tampa is a huge complex, very glitzy. I avoid it unless it's a week day. Mostly MSRP / new shooters.

The Wyoming Antelope Club in Pinellas County has a Public Outdoor range, but the facilities are, ah, a bit rustic. It hosts quite a few IDPA, USPSA and other Action Pistol matches in the 7 shooting bays around the rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
02-12-2017, 03:17 PM
The Edison/Ford museum in Fort Myers is worth a visit.

ralph
02-12-2017, 05:19 PM
The Edison/Ford museum in Fort Myers is worth a visit.

Been there a couple of times..that place is great! Kinda neat Edison's next door neighbor was Henry Ford, his next door neighbor was Harvey Firestone...

BJXDS
02-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys, it was nice to get a heads up before we left. Sanibel is nice, stayed at the moorings. I didn't get to check out all the suggestions, we were only there for 3 nights.

I think we will try to go back, OFF season, my wife can enjoy the beach and I can explore more fishing options. I really can't just sit on the beach for 2 days. I will say every one was very professional and service was excellent everywhere we went, and NO RIFF RAFF in sight.

Oh yeah, on the way back we stopped in Punta Gorda, Muscle Car City. There is nothing like the sound of a big block!

Joe in PNG
02-17-2017, 09:08 PM
September/October is a good time to visit that way- it's not as hot, the summer crowds have left, and the snowbirds have yet to arrive.
A pretty good time to find deals on rentals.
August, on the other hand, it's almost too hot to do anything, even swimming.