PDA

View Full Version : Springbreak in Washington D.C. Anything I should avoid with the family?

Chipster
02-05-2017, 09:37 PM
I went to D.C. when I was at the DEA Academy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and since my son is dead set on a career in the FBI, the Wife wanted us all to go out there for a visit. So we are giving up sunny Marco Island for cherry blossoms, and bicycling around in sweatshirts. I am trying to get close enough hotel wise that we can bicycle through the remainder of the city, but when I priced the Watergate, it was slightly out of my price range for the entire week! I am contacting my local congressman and we are going to try to tour the Whitehouse, all the memorials, as many of the Smithsonian's as we can, the FBI Education Center, and maybe Norfolk as my wife loves big boats, and she would love to see a carrier even if I need binoculars to do so.

I wondered about a taxi but with the bikes I wasn't sure we could be accommodated? If anyone knows of a hotel wise that they would feel comfortable having their family stay at, I would very much appreciate it. Also, if anyone has some "must see's" I would be happy to hear them! We will be driving out there as it's only a 8-9 hour drive and we enjoy driving through the mountains.

trailrunner
02-05-2017, 09:48 PM
Capital Bikeshare is an option for getting around the city. You can also stay out in the suburbs and metro in and out of the city each day, and ride CaBi in the city, or walk around, or take metro to your next stop. Many hotels have a free shuttle to the closest metro station. Another advantage of suburban hotels is that they probably won't charge for parking.

The museums in downtown are well known, but note that there are actually two air and space museums - one on the mall, and the other (Udvar-Hazy) is near Dulles airport.

If you're into the civil war, there are many battlefields close by: Bull Run - Manassas, Antietem - Sharpsburg, Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Courthouse are the major ones, and there are numerous smaller ones in the area.

You can visit Mount Vernon (Washington's home), and across the bay is Gunston Hall (George Mason's home). If you want to continue the revolutionary war theme, while you're headed to Norfolk, stop by colonial Williamsburg and Yorktown.

About 30 miles south of DC is the Marine Corps museum, which is very good.

jc000
02-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Trailrunner nailed it pretty well with Udvar-Hazy, Gunston Hall, Mt Vernon, and the USMC museum (though pretty far) all being pretty outstanding.

The Billy Goat Tail is a hike just west of the city that I would almost call "spectacular". Mather gorge is beautiful. If you were feeling particularly adventurous, you could bike to the trailhead on the C & O canal, about 13 miles from the city.

jc000
02-05-2017, 10:17 PM
As mentioned staying in (VA) suburbs is a good idea, too. Arlington has some good options in Ballston / Clarendon / Rossyln.

Odin Bravo One
02-06-2017, 01:03 AM
You get it in your head to make the drive to Norfolk, I'll get you sorted out to see a big boat..............

JDD
02-06-2017, 08:11 AM
I went to D.C. when I was at the DEA Academy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and since my son is dead set on a career in the FBI, the Wife wanted us all to go out there for a visit. So we are giving up sunny Marco Island for cherry blossoms, and bicycling around in sweatshirts. I am trying to get close enough hotel wise that we can bicycle through the remainder of the city, but when I priced the Watergate, it was slightly out of my price range for the entire week! I am contacting my local congressman and we are going to try to tour the Whitehouse, all the memorials, as many of the Smithsonian's as we can, the FBI Education Center, and maybe Norfolk as my wife loves big boats, and she would love to see a carrier even if I need binoculars to do so.

I wondered about a taxi but with the bikes I wasn't sure we could be accommodated? If anyone knows of a hotel wise that they would feel comfortable having their family stay at, I would very much appreciate it. Also, if anyone has some "must see's" I would be happy to hear them! We will be driving out there as it's only a 8-9 hour drive and we enjoy driving through the mountains.

I will strongly second the Udvar-Hazy center (note that while admissions are free, parking is not). The Air and Space on the mall has some awesome stuff, but if you like planes, the Udvar-Hazy center is where they keep the the majority of the collection that is on display.

For monuments, don't miss the FDR memorial. It is possibly one of my favorite ones, and it is usually much less crowded than the others.

For hotels, your best bet is going to be to find a spot toward the end of one of the metro lines (I would stay on the Virginia side), and get a hotel there. Something like the Hilton Alexandria Old Town near the King Street Metro, the Holiday Inn Arlington near Balliston metro, or the Courtyard Dunn Loring near Dunn Loring metro. I am not sure what your budget is, but those options should keep you just a bit under the Watergate... The metro has pretty good coverage of the city, but it is a commuter system, and the city is pretty spread out. Also note that due to some pretty terrible management, the metro developed issues that are now being fixed with the "SafeTrack Surge." https://www.wmata.com/service/SafeTrack.cfm This has the potential to affect your travel. If you bring your own bikes, you can bring them on the metro, just be advised there are a few additional guidelines: https://www.wmata.com/service/bikes/. Otherwise, the capital bike share is a pretty well run setup: https://www.capitalbikeshare.com/

In terms of museums, it is hard to go wrong with any of the Smithsonian's. The Air and Space and the American History museums are at the top of my list. I have heard rave reviews of the African American History museum from every one of my friends and colleagues that have managed to get in, but getting tickets right now is pretty tricky, and your other option is standing out from around 6am in line so that may be a self-selecting group of reviewers...

The Newseum is a paid admissions museum, and if it looks remotely interesting to you or your family it is absolutely worth going through.

I am not sure how far out you are looking, but just be aware that as of last week, the current administration had not yet staffed the White House Visitors Office.

I would also throw in a plug for Arlington Cemetery.

Grey
02-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Uber is your friend for getting around rather than the metro, with a family it's cheaper to uber if going a short distance.

Lincoln memorial at night is pretty spectacular.

trailrunner
02-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I live in Springfield VA, about 15 miles south of DC. Springfield isn't anything special, but may be a good place to stay. There are about eight hotels in the central part of Springfield, just off I-95, and rates should be reasonable for the DC area, probably less than $200 per night. The Franconia-Springfield metro station is close, and most hotels run a shuttle there (but check first). If you do decide to drive in to DC, it's a straight shot up I-95/395, although I wouldn't do it during rush hour.

If you really want to ride your bikes in to DC, you could stay in Crystal City or Pentagon City, right by Reagan airport. However, that's a prime business area, so hotels wouldn't be cheap (I'd guess $200-300 per night), and you'd probably pay $20 a day for parking. Plus, I wouldn't trust my bike in a parking garage there.

As someone pointed out, metro can be expensive for a family. Parking is $4.85 per day if you don't take a shuttle. One-way fares can be more than $5 during peak times, but you may be able to get a daily or weekly pass.

LtDave
02-06-2017, 08:54 PM
I stayed several days at the Renaissance Washington downtown which is just south of Mt Vernon Square in Sept 2015. It is within walking distance or short cab ride to several Smithsonian venues and the Mall. Lots of restaurants nearby. Pricey, but accomodations were nice. I'd stay there again.

Soggy
02-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Sounds corny, but I really liked the spy museum. That and the Air and Space museum by the airport stood out the most. I was frankly a little disappointed with some of the Smithsonian's on the mall.

Your congressman or senator should be able to get you tickets to go in the gallery of each chamber of congress. I thought that was really cool, but if your kids aren't interested in politics it may not be worth it. You can't just show up and expect to get tickets, ask your reps before you go (at least, that is how it was a few years ago). If you don't have the golden tickets they confine you to the visitor center.

Drang
02-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Rotunda for the Charters of Freedom (https://www.archives.gov/museum/visit/rotunda.html)

peterb
02-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Reading "The Killer Angels" made me go on to read a lot more about the battle of Gettysburg, so walking the battlefield there was a real treat for me. Walking the route of Pickett's charge, looking down from the Round Tops....it gives it all a reality you can't get from the printed page.

The Vietnam memorial hit me hard. The Lincoln is impressive.

Paul Sharp
02-06-2017, 10:04 PM
https://www.ushmm.org/information/visit-the-museum/plan-your-visit

Someone mentioned the Spy Museum, and Arlington for the changing of the Guard is a must see every time I'm in DC. It's a beautiful city with history everywhere you look.

Odin Bravo One
02-07-2017, 05:16 AM
https://www.ushmm.org/information/visit-the-museum/plan-your-visit

Someone mentioned the Spy Museum, and Arlington for the changing of the Guard is a must see every time I'm in DC. It's a beautiful city with history everywhere you look.

Spy Museum is well worth it. Cool even if you don't know what you're looking at and have to read every tablet.

Kyle Reese
02-07-2017, 06:16 AM
Mazadar Kabob in Fairfax.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

JSGlock34
02-07-2017, 07:06 AM
I actually think two of the best museums are outside the 495 Beltway - the previously mentioned Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum, and the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico. I recommend both highly.

RJ
02-07-2017, 07:52 AM
I grew up in Springfield and worked in DC. (I used to park *under* the Air and Space Museum on the Mall when it opened -- tells you how old I am lol).

Good advice up thread. Couple other thoughts:

Ford's Theater is fantastic and well worth it. If you have middle school kids they will love the live performance. The museum downstairs is good.

I've been to the Newseum a couple times, and was not impressed. Expensive, too.

The National Archives including the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights are awesome.

Arlington and the tour are very well worth your time as well.

Mt. Vernon is surprisingly well done, the restaurant there is not bad.

The Pentagon tour is good, if you can get someone to sponsor you.

Metro is the way to get around, at least for us. I'd listen to the locals about hotels etc. to save some money. Staying in Arlington or Springfield sounds like good advice.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grey
02-07-2017, 08:09 AM
I grew up in Springfield and worked in DC. (I used to park *under* the Air and Space Museum on the Mall when it opened -- tells you how old I am lol).

Good advice up thread. Couple other thoughts:

Ford's Theater is fantastic and well worth it. If you have middle school kids they will love the live performance. The museum downstairs is good.

I've been to the Newseum a couple times, and was not impressed. Expensive, too.

The National Archives including the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights are awesome.

Arlington and the tour are very well worth your time as well.

Mt. Vernon is surprisingly well done, the restaurant there is not bad.

Metro is the way to get around, at least for us. I'd listen to the locals about hotels etc. to save some money. Staying in Arlington or Springfield sounds like good advice.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pentagon is freaking huge if you go so be prepared to walk a lot and be there for a while, you could spend half a day in there easily.

I second Mt. Vernon, very neat place, lots to see.

Old Town Alexandria is kinda cool if you want to hang out and get some food/snacks.

da6dspanburg
02-07-2017, 08:16 AM
Reading "The Killer Angels" made me go on to read a lot more about the battle of Gettysburg, so walking the battlefield there was a real treat for me. Walking the route of Pickett's charge, looking down from the Round Tops....it gives it all a reality you can't get from the printed page.

Along with walking Little Round Top and standing behind the Union lines at Pickett's Charge, I have fond that the Antietam Battlefield to be even more of a special place. Walking thru the sunken road and walking across Burnside Bridge an then up the bluff really touching.

And the Vietnam Memorial always brings tears to my eyes.

da6d

JV_
02-07-2017, 08:32 AM
If you like architecture, I would consider a US Capitol tour. The new Capitol Visitors Center is quite nice.

And, right across the street is the Library of Congress and SCOTUS.

scw2
02-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Never knew tours existed at the Pentagon. Now I wanna go sometime.... :)

BJXDS
02-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Lots of good ideas. The Spy Museum is my favorite. ALSO if your into it, the Potomac river has some of the best Bass Fishing on the east coast. I gotta try to fish everywhere I go.
I believe someone offered to hook you up on a "big boat tour" in the VA Beach area, that would be hard to pass up.

mtnbkr
02-07-2017, 10:16 AM
ALSO if your into it, the Potomac river has some of the best Bass Fishing on the east coast. I gotta try to fish everywhere I go.
Snakehead too and Snakehead is a damn tasty fish.

Chris

Grey
02-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Seriously skeptical of anything coming out of the potomac. And we apparently have sharks in there so beware.

mtnbkr
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Seriously skeptical of anything coming out of the potomac. And we apparently have sharks in there so beware.

The river has improved quite a bit over the last several years.

Sharks though? Really? Where did you hear that?

Chris

Grey
02-07-2017, 10:44 AM
The river has improved quite a bit over the last several years.

Sharks though? Really? Where did you hear that?

Chris
Pretty sure the wapo ran a story last summer that some guys caught a small bull shark in the potomac. I actually paid attention to it because my dad kayaks there every chance he gets.

Edit: totally unrelated but let us know the area you're staying in and the food you like and I'll see if I know any good places to check out.

JV_
02-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Pretty sure the wapo ran a story last summer that some guys caught a small bull shark in the potomac.I've been hearing similar stores since the mid 90s. If I had to guess, I'd say I hear about it every 18-24 months.

Grey
02-07-2017, 12:10 PM
By small I mean 8ft and apparently it happened in 2015 as the most recent incident.

Drang
02-07-2017, 12:24 PM

I had no idea so much went on at the Library of Congress: Visiting the Library | Library of Congress (https://loc.gov/visit/)

LtDave
02-07-2017, 12:51 PM
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, VA. Free and well worth the time.

ubervic
02-07-2017, 12:58 PM
I've lived in the DC Metro area for over 35 years now, including studying/living at GW for 4 years in the '80s, and I cannot add much to what many forum members have already contributed in terms of sites/venues to visit. The local area is truly loaded with many. many very appealing sites rich in either history, arts & culture, educational and/or entertainment value. And most of the museums in DC are free, which is truly remarkable. Indeed, when I look back on my years living near the Mall---I was literally within an easy 20-minute walk to the Tidal Basin---my only regret is not taking more advantage of my proximity to visit sites more often.

Grey
02-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Depending on when cherry blossoms are and your spring break you may have to spend the day chilling at the mall

modrecoil
02-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Good recommendations in this thread. Lincoln memorial at night is one of my favorite places. Holocaust museum is another must, but getting in isn't always easy. Some lesser-known but interesting places are Dumbarton Oaks and Hillwood Gardens. If you have a bit of time to kill, you could bike to Gravelly Point Park in Arlington and watch planes land in DCA. We have lots of good bike trails.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

trailrunner
02-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Actually, I don't think you need a sponsor for a tour of the Pentagon. You just need to register here:

https://pentagontours.osd.mil/Tours/tour-selection.jsp

The tours fill up fast, especially during busy times like spring break, so if this is something you want to do, sign up now.

You can also visit the 9-11 memorial at the Pentagon. It is outside on the south side, where the plane hit, and is open to the public. No prior registration is required - just show up.

JV_
02-07-2017, 06:04 PM
If you like architecture, I would consider a US Capitol tour. The new Capitol Visitors Center is quite nice.

And while you're in the area, I've heard the US Botanic Garden is pretty nice as well. I frequently walk past it, but I've never stopped in.

Matt O
02-07-2017, 06:32 PM
And while you're in the area, I've heard the US Botanic Garden is pretty nice as well. I frequently walk past it, but I've never stopped in.

The Gardens are definitely worth a visit in general, but can be even that much more interesting depending on what special displays are available at the time. Assuming the weather is nice, the tables/chairs outside make a nice picnic spot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
02-07-2017, 07:05 PM
By small I mean 8ft and apparently it happened in 2015 as the most recent incident.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/09/04/8-foot-bull-shark-caught-in-potomac-in-st-marys-county-md/?utm_term=.7c36c37bd1f8

5pins
02-07-2017, 07:15 PM
The only thing I will add is, if you get a hotel in VA make sure it’s close to the metro station. We did the spring break D.C. trip once, before we moved local. We spent way too much time in rush hour traffic to and from the station.

jc000
02-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Another +1 for the Gardens.

I always take folks to the Exorcist steps, but that probably has limited appeal in most circles.

Grey
02-07-2017, 07:49 PM
The only thing I will add is, if you get a hotel in VA make sure it’s close to the metro station. We did the spring break D.C. trip once, before we moved local. We spent way too much time in rush hour traffic to and from the station.

Yup, take the metro downtown and then uber it around the city, totally not worth hopping on a metro for a quick ride.

They don't do those paper cards anymore to my knowledge so I think you have to pony up a few extra bucks to get the plastic cards.

Definitely plan out your trip and know which train lines you will be running on, you don't want to figure that shit out when you are at the station. If you need help just post your planned itinerary and the locals can probably give you some pointers.

Chipster
02-10-2017, 05:44 PM
You get it in your head to make the drive to Norfolk, I'll get you sorted out to see a big boat..............

It's totally in my head now! She worked at an airport out of college and loves planes and such. It was funny when I mentioned the possibility of going to Norfolk her eyes lit up like Rikki Tikki Tavi!

Thanks for all the great advise. We are looking at hotels this weekend (finally getting a break from work) and hopefully making our reservations by Sunday. Is DC LEOSA friendly? When I was there before it was very late in the evenings and obviously everything was closed and no one bothered checking us. I assume that is significantly different during the day walking into national landmarks?

modrecoil
02-10-2017, 09:16 PM
I always take folks to the Exorcist steps, but that probably has limited appeal in most circles.

I do the same. What a nerd! :D

Edit: Speaking of of odd attractions, I'm still not over the fact they moved The Awakening from Gravelly Point to the Inner Harbor. Bastards.

trailrunner
02-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Edit: Speaking of of odd attractions, I'm still not over the fact they moved The Awakening from Gravelly Point to the Inner Harbor. Bastards.

Slight correction: They moved it from Haines Point to National Harbor.

modrecoil
02-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Absolutely, thank you for the correction. It's been many years. For those that haven't seen it, it's a buried 75' giant struggling out of the ground (since 1980).
The unexpected and relatively desolate location enhanced the experience and added to the sense of awe. Now it's buried in the beach in front of Starbucks and a tacky tourist hotel. One day soon he'll really dig himself out and hitchhike across the country like he always wanted.

LJD
02-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Someone mentioned the NRA museum in fairfax - great pick. Also, the Library of Congress is pretty awesome if you are into books and old stuff. Amazing interior main reading room. Free iphone app for the tour.

BN
02-11-2017, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Chipster;562561] Is DC LEOSA friendly? When I was there before it was very late in the evenings and obviously everything was closed and no one bothered checking us. I assume that is significantly different during the day walking into national landmarks?[/QUOT

I was there in June. Most of the museums on the mall were OK. I wasn't allowed into Federal buildings. Everybody was friendly to LEO. We stayed in Bethesda 2 blocks from a Metro station and went to the mall from there each day. Watch peak travel times to save money on the Metro. We bought Metro cards from a kiosk at the station.

11B10
02-11-2017, 01:25 PM

peterb, I grew up in south central Pa. and visited Gettysburg literally dozens of times over the years. BUT, about 10 years ago, when I read the Pulitzer prize-winning book, "Killer Angels," I just HAD to go back! Then, when I climbed over those huge boulders in Devil's Den and stood at the top of the field where Pickett's charge took place, I could almost hear the cacophony of battle and see the soldiers fighting and dying. If the OP visits Gettysburg, he/they should take at least one tour - the one that walks you right up that hill with Pickett. If they love history as much as I, you'll be blown away .

Jason M
02-11-2017, 03:59 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned it... Go see the LE memorial.
If you like Spanish food, hit Jaleo. 480 7th NW. It is near the Spy Museum and the LE memorial. Best sangria in town!