PDA

View Full Version : What is new in .22 cans?

Soggy
02-05-2017, 06:43 PM
After reading the other thread I've decided the time is right to get my first can. Hosts will be a threaded CZ452 near term, but I will also likely pick up a S&W mp22c pistol, and the m&p 22 AR down the road.

Per this tread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19911-First-can-decisions the Spectre II seems like a good bet.

My question is: Has anything new come along in the past year / at the SHOT show that looks better?

Anybody heard from the Hansohn brothers lately?

Thanks!

Sigfan26
02-05-2017, 06:59 PM
I like the looks of this.
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/oculus-22/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt
02-05-2017, 07:15 PM
I have a Spectre II which I've enjoyed for the last few years. The pistol host has been a Ruger 22/45 Mk III used with standard velocity (subsonic) Agulia or CCI. Very quiet.

SLG
02-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Q has the most impressive .22 can I have seen yet. You'll have to google for it though, since I'm too lazy right now.

Regardless, I might wait to see what happens to the NFA stuff first.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa

LittleLebowski
02-05-2017, 08:00 PM
I'd start the paperwork now for a Q Erector (http://liveqordie.com/product/silencers/rimfire-silencers/erector/).

Sending a note to Hansohn Bros.

SeriousStudent
02-05-2017, 08:52 PM
I'd start the paperwork now for a Q Erector (http://liveqordie.com/product/silencers/rimfire-silencers/erector/).

Sending a note to Hansohn Bros.

That does look nice.

Kevin, if you are reading this, please make your website less artsy fartsy.

Hansohn Brothers
02-05-2017, 09:00 PM
After reading the other thread I've decided the time is right to get my first can. Hosts will be a threaded CZ452 near term, but I will also likely pick up a S&W mp22c pistol, and the m&p 22 AR down the road.

Per this tread: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19911-First-can-decisions the Spectre II seems like a good bet.

My question is: Has anything new come along in the past year / at the SHOT show that looks better?

Anybody heard from the Hansohn brothers lately?

Thanks!
You rang? ;)

There are a few new rimfire cans coming on the scene, namely the Rugged Oculus and the Q El Camino. It's too early to tell but they both should be comparable to current models out now. The Oculus is modular so you get 2 suppressors in one. SureFire has a Ryder 22K model coming out but no telling when it will actually make it to my shelf.

Of the current models available now, the Mask is still top shelf but the Thunder Beast 22TD is the best value going now, IMHO.

Another new model coming is the Q Erector. It is supposed to be released sometime March or April and on shelves April or May. We will have them.

bravo7
02-05-2017, 09:12 PM
I like my Griffin Checkmate with its 3 lug qd mount setup.....

olstyn
02-06-2017, 07:49 AM
That does look nice.

Kevin, if you are reading this, please make your website less artsy fartsy.

This; it's pretty, but navigating to actual information is tedious.

SLG
02-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Totally agree on the Q website stuff. They are sort of hipsters though.

On another note, I have no idea how it compares to other cans out there, but I have a couple of TacSol .22 cans, and am very happy with them. Inexpensive, light, pretty quiet.

punkey71
02-06-2017, 10:41 AM
I've got a couple 22 cans and one more on the way.

Spectre II, Dead Air Mask and TBAC Takedown 22.

I've shot a few others side by side with the above as well (It pays to live near Hansohn Brothers!)

Honestly, I've yet to hear a "bad" 22 can. They are all quiet. Sure, a little tone difference but at 115ish decibels it's interesting to hear the differences but none are bad/loud/painful.

There are some minor differences in taking them down for cleaning but none are difficult. Some are just a little easier.

22 subsonic suppressed is a riot.

Get the can you like at the price you like from a large, reputable manufacturer and rock on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishing
02-06-2017, 02:21 PM
the "Q El Camino" is marketed as being superiorly accurate when compared to other .22 cans but i've not found any proof of that.
I do like the use of PVD coating on the outside tube though - provided that it can take the heat over time.

not sure on the "Q Erector" - looks cool i guess but can't find any real details on it...

I'm a bit wary about buying a can from a newer company, no matter how well established or experienced the team behind it is.
other than the artificial constraints placed by the NFA, cans are consumables (.22 cans especially so). however I do want them to come with solid warranties and i have more peace of mind in a warranty offered by an established company with deeper pockets should something go wrong with the product.

I've had good luck just running my 5.56 suppressors on my .22lr guns - yes they are heavier and bulkier generally but they work fantastically.
more importantly, it is way easy to clean out .22lr crud by putting them back on a 5.56 gun and shooting rapid/full auto for a couple of mags.

the below google cache link details a silicone oil pre-treatment that helps keep my .22lr cans cleaner too. i don't mess with the "dip" as it is nasty nasty nasty shit.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AHkG5RrCuIYJ:www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

edit - the website linked to is not mine - just something interesting i found on the net a while back. dude shoots ALOT of .22

Soggy
02-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I am glad to hear it is hard to go wrong, and there are a lot of great choices.

Regardless, I might wait to see what happens to the NFA stuff first.

That was my thinking, but as mentioned in the other thread now I am not very hopeful it will pass anytime soon. I don't really see a downside to going forward now, other than some extra paperwork. If I already had a can I could probably hold off.

You rang? ;)

The Oculus is modular so you get 2 suppressors in one.

Really digging that Oculus. Are they shipping now, and do you carry them? Am I correct in assuming I need to have bought and actual suppressor before the paperwork can be filed? That would rule out the 'erector' for me, as they won't be out for months.

I'm a bit wary about buying a can from a newer company, no matter how well established or experienced the team behind it is.
other than the artificial constraints placed by the NFA, cans are consumables (.22 cans especially so). however I do want them to come with solid warranties and i have more peace of mind in a warranty offered by an established company with deeper pockets should something go wrong with the product.

Definitely a consideration. This is crazy time in the market though - hard to tell who will be left standing. Established companies can be overextended to. Does anyone have any specific concerns about Rugged?

One thing about the Oculus: I can always run it just in the short configuration if some of the baffles get damaged.

Hansohn Brothers
02-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Really digging that Oculus. Are they shipping now, and do you carry them? Am I correct in assuming I need to have bought and actual suppressor before the paperwork can be filed? That would rule out the 'erector' for me, as they won't be out for months.
Does anyone have any specific concerns about Rugged?I do carry the Oculus and have serial numbers now (waiting on the form 3 to clear to me, should be approved in a couple of weeks). Since you aren't in VA I'm happy to hold one for you with a small deposit until I actually have them in hand. Rugged is a new company but the folks have been around for quite some time. Henry Graham started SWR which was bought be SilencerCo. Henry left SilencerCo in 2014 or 2015 and started Rugged.

Soggy
02-07-2017, 05:12 PM
I do carry the Oculus and have serial numbers now (waiting on the form 3 to clear to me, should be approved in a couple of weeks). Since you aren't in VA I'm happy to hold one for you with a small deposit until I actually have them in hand. Rugged is a new company but the folks have been around for quite some time. Henry Graham started SWR which was bought be SilencerCo. Henry left SilencerCo in 2014 or 2015 and started Rugged.

OK, great. If it is ok with you I will call you Thursday to discuss.

Hansohn Brothers
02-15-2017, 06:43 AM
OK, great. If it is ok with you I will call you Thursday to discuss.
Sorry I missed the reply, but yes, call anytime.

rayrevolver
02-15-2017, 02:34 PM

When I went looking for a host I also ended up with the M&P22C. I didn't really notice when I was shooting it once in a while, but man its small!

I have owned a 22 can (Dead Air Mask) for all of 11 days and been shooting on 8 of those days. Its now obvious the grip is too small and I just ordered a Hogue rubber grip to see if I can increase the reach a little.

Not my picture, but this is what I bought:
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/hogrider04/IMG_0803.jpg

Good luck!

Soggy
02-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Sorry I missed the reply, but yes, call anytime.

No worries, I did call and someone picked up. All sorted, thanks.

When I went looking for a host I also ended up with the M&P22C. I didn't really notice when I was shooting it once in a while, but man its small!

I have owned a 22 can (Dead Air Mask) for all of 11 days and been shooting on 8 of those days. Its now obvious the grip is too small and I just ordered a Hogue rubber grip to see if I can increase the reach a little.

Not my picture, but this is what I bought:
http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/hogrider04/IMG_0803.jpg

Good luck!

I take it you got the threaded version? Are the stock sights tall enough for use with a can?

Other than the small grip, do you like it? I am man enough to admit I have little princess hands, so I don't think the small size will bother me to much. But if it does maybe I'll try one of those Hogues.

rayrevolver
02-15-2017, 07:42 PM
I take it you got the threaded version? Are the stock sights tall enough for use with a can?

Other than the small grip, do you like it? I am man enough to admit I have little princess hands, so I don't think the small size will bother me to much. But if it does maybe I'll try one of those Hogues.

Brother, I may or may not be the runt of the family and its still too small. I think I was ruined by my first gun being a Gen 2 G20. I didn't realize the grip was so big until a few years later and got used to shooting that thing with the high test.

You can see the sights just fine. All I need is a comp and this thing can be a Roland Special! I went with that Neumount since I could not find a FF3 dovetail mount that fits the 22C. Yes, it shoots great and is very reliable with Rem Bucket O Bullets. I am in the process of shooting all different kinds of ammo, and in general its been good with most. For example, Aguila SuperExtra 38gr Subsonic (which SGAmmo says not for semis) has been 98/100, with 2 FTEs, both on first rounds of magazines.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy117/rayrevolver/Public/IMG_20170204_202618725_zpsnoliqkwk.jpg

My only gripe, is the threaded adapter comes installed and is very tight. I have not removed it which means I cannot take off the slide. So I hitch the slide up and clean/lube as best I can.