PDA

View Full Version : Potential Hanta virus/biohazard reloading gear cleanup

Malamute
02-04-2017, 09:35 PM
After a several year hiatus, I'm trying to get my reloading gear cleaned up and usable. Its been in a shed that's not mouse proof, and they pretty much took over. They peed all over much of it, and there was one dead mouse on one shell plate setup and dies. I have a Dillon 550 and several shellheads with dies I need to clean up. The approved method to clean up potential Hanta infected areas and material is bleach water wash and leaving it on for 5 minutes or so. Not sure that would be good for my dies and press, any ideas on things that would kill the Hanta virus and be safe for the metal? Would brake clean kill Hanta? Gunscrubber? WD-40? Kerosene or gasoline? Parts washer for automotive parts? (have a friend with a motorcycle shop)

I thought of the bleach wash/soak, then dry as best I could and spray with WD-40. Not crazy about leaving them wet with bleach water. Any ideas, or anyone know what else kills Hanta reliably?

SeriousStudent
02-04-2017, 10:07 PM
I am curious about spraying them with 90 percent or higher isopropyl alcohol, and letting them air dry.

fishing
02-04-2017, 10:47 PM
After a several year hiatus, I'm trying to get my reloading gear cleaned up and usable. Its been in a shed that's not mouse proof, and they pretty much took over. They peed all over much of it, and there was one dead mouse on one shell plate setup and dies. I have a Dillon 550 and several shellheads with dies I need to clean up. The approved method to clean up potential Hanta infected areas and material is bleach water wash and leaving it on for 5 minutes or so. Not sure that would be good for my dies and press, any ideas on things that would kill the Hanta virus and be safe for the metal? Would brake clean kill Hanta? Gunscrubber? WD-40? Kerosene or gasoline? Parts washer for automotive parts? (have a friend with a motorcycle shop)

I thought of the bleach wash/soak, then dry as best I could and spray with WD-40. Not crazy about leaving them wet with bleach water. Any ideas, or anyone know what else kills Hanta reliably?

http://www.aschq.army.mil/supportingdocs/ASC%20Hantavirus%20Procedures%20(Encl%201).pdf
https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/pdf/hps_brochure.pdf

bleach solution...
does not hurt plastic or metal if rinsed clean after necessary 30 minutes or so.
put corrosion inhibitor of choice on afterwards.

Cookie Monster
02-05-2017, 01:39 AM
I've cleaned up a lot of Hanta spaces. Bleach water spray, keeps the dust down and hopefully kills the virus. Misting with a spray bottled and 10% bleach I think. Let sit 15 Minutes and wipe with gun oil or whatever should make it good. I would hit the pellets and the nests hard but individual components if wrapped up a little bit should be fine.

You could also look up cases in your area to see the risk. I kinda of think of it as a southwest sort of think.

Drang
02-05-2017, 01:41 AM
kinda of think of it as a southwest sort of think.
Endemic in Colorado.

Alcohol won't cut it. Go with the bleach.

Lester Polfus
02-05-2017, 02:05 AM
I think this is a risk versus gain question. You've got some nice reloading stuff, but Hanta does tend to kill even healthy people if they get it.

One factor is this: "The virus does not remain active for long once outside of its host -- less than 1 week outdoors and a few hours when exposed to direct sunlight." (https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/hantavir.html) So if you can get your stuff out of whatever space it is in, and into the open, you have that on your side.

I would use the bleach spray, both inside, while you are moving stuff around, and to clean your gear. If you wind up with a little corrosion, deal with it. It would be great if you can ventilate the space safely before hand.

The geniuses who owned the property before us had some left over pink insulation, so they decided to put it, uncovered in the outbuilding that houses our well pressure tank. The mice turned it into a rodent Hilton. Since I would be ripping down mouse poo laden insulation from over my head, I went full hazmat with some tyvek coveralls ($9) and a respirator that is rated for Hanta. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009XW3ZS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The coveralls might be overkill for you, but I'd be sure and handle whatever clothes you wear with care. The respirator is the price of a Glock mag.

Nephrology
02-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Stick to bleach. It physically disrupts the forces holding the virus together, very aggressively. An iodine-based cleaning solution works too, but unlikely to be cheaper or more readily available than bleach. There is a reason these 2 solutions are the only cleaners used in laboratory/clinical settings.

Definitely wear an appropriately rated respirator/mask, and I would personally spring for the Tyvek coveralls. If you're feeling cheap you can wear an old pair of work clothes but I would immediately throw them in the washing machine at the highest temperature once you're done, and definitely keep your respirator on while you're taking them off.

RevolverRob
02-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Bleach, respirator, tyvek coveralls, gloves.

Drag everything outside into the sun and spray it all down with bleach solution for 5-10 minutes. Spray it down with high pressure water. Spray down with rust inhibitor of your choice. 5-10 minutes of bleach/water and then a high-pressure water rinse aren't likely to harm your steel components.

I would clean the whole shed out if possible and then blast it with the bleach solution and pressure wash it clean. Then setup some basic rat/mouse baits inside the shed and/or a heavy dose of mothballs. Any holes you find can be stuffed with steel wool. Rodents will chew through most things, but they tend to give up on steel wool (roaches too, for that matter).

Malamute
02-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

I bought supplies today, some bleach, Lysol and WD-40. I forgot gloves, I was more concerned about the bleach and WD-40 than the mouse DEATH virus. Perhaps its familiarity breeds complacency, Ive lived in the Hanta zone for 27 years, I try to be as careful as I can, but havent ever gone to the point of a suit. Most stuff is in plastic tubs, so after getting something out I wash my hands without touching anything else and call it good. My shed needs to be finished and mouse proofed before cleaning it up will make a difference.

I wanted to take my Dillon visiting with me (extended visit), so packed it up in a plastic container and planned to clean it when I got here. I dipped the toolheads in a plastic bowl of strong bleach water in the sink, toothbrushed them off, then let them sit about 10 minutes. I then rinsed in warm water, then set to drain on old towel. After draining a while I took them to the garage and spread out newspapers and sprayed all the dies and parts with WD-40 to displace the water. I'll brake clean the WD-40 off of them when I get time in the next day or so. I didn't get to the press yet, I still cant handle much being on my feet for long, especially leaned over the sink. They had some small rust spots here and there, but I think they should be OK. The worst part so far was the bleach smell and burning my eyes. I just remembered I had an P-95 blue mask for vapors. I'll use it when I do the press for the bleach and WD-40 stage.

So, should I get a new toothbrush? :)

RevolverRob
02-06-2017, 01:48 PM
So, should I get a new toothbrush? :)

Nah, just rinse it in bleach and it'll be good to go.