PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry Classes in Northern Virginia?

Jaywalker
01-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Where are some good places to take basic concealed carry classes in Northern Virginia? A plus would be someone who teaches the CHL class then also teaches more advanced classes for those who want to do more than the basics.

JSGlock34
01-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Over the years the NRA Range has offered solid options. Currently Green Ops (https://www.green-ops.com/home.html) teaches there and I'd give them a look. Some of the instructors (SFI) who used to teach classes at NRA are now at ESS; not sure what classes are available there, but that may offer another option.

David S.
01-29-2017, 08:40 PM
John Murphy at FPF Training. Culpeper and Woodbridge

trailrunner
01-29-2017, 08:43 PM
I've taken several classes from John Murphy at FPF training and recommend him.

https://www.fpftraining.com

If you just want the bare minimum to get your permit, classes are offered all over. I think the gun shows offer a class, and probably every range hosts classes. You can also take the class on-line.

TGS
01-29-2017, 08:45 PM

I've taken several classes from John Murphy at FPF training and recommend him.

https://www.fpftraining.com

If you just want the bare minimum to get your permit, classes are offered all over. I think the gun shows offer a class, and probably every range hosts classes. You can also take the class on-line.

I endorse these endorsements.

John is a good instructor and puts a lot of work into constantly updating his coursework and teaches a lot more than just the square range shooting problem.

I'm always trying to find time to get my fiancé and I down to his current offerings......I took a few classes from him 7 years ago, and his line-up has totally changed from then.

43Under
01-29-2017, 09:02 PM
Another vote for Murphy. I've done two of his classes and will probably take another this year. He's got a nice progression of classes from the most basic up through vehicle tactics and such, and also brings in great, and I mean really great, guest instructors on a regular basis to cover other topics.

RJ
01-29-2017, 09:14 PM

I would take a class from John Murphy in a heartbeat if he were closer to me in FL.

His presentation at Rangemaster Tactical Conference in Memphis last year was one of the best I've ever seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

orionz06
01-29-2017, 09:17 PM
One simply cannot ignore the praise John Murphy gets.

VT1032
01-29-2017, 09:20 PM
I'll also recommend John Murphy. I took Street Encounters with him and that basically set the standard of what a ccw class should be for me. Great instructor.

Jaywalker
01-29-2017, 10:35 PM
Thanks, all. Good info.

ubervic
01-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Another vote for John Murphy with FPF Training. Great guy who presents everything in direct, basic, meaningful terms; makes students think about the how & why & ramifications for decision-making in varying threat environments---and also emphasizes avoiding & evading threat environments in the first place. No high-speed, slow-drag, flashy BS.

BJXDS
01-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Another vote for FPF. Check his site I believe he has revamped his training options. He also host some very good instructors as well.

Jaywalker
01-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks, folks - I have everything I need now. Someone who lives in NoVa asked me whom I recommended and since I haven't lived there for some years now I queried the hive mind of P-F people. I've now passed on the recommendation.