PDA

View Full Version : Automatic knife legislation in VA

Grey
01-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Anyone else super fucking excited? I really hope this gets finalized so we can carry autos just because autos are fucking cool.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/01/26/american-knife-tool-institute-announces-house-and-senate-committee-passage-of-legislation-to-remove-automatic-knife-restrictions-in-virginia/

MEH
01-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Can't imagine the current governor sign off on that. Don't know if they have a veto proof margin.

BobLoblaw
01-26-2017, 07:36 PM
WV just got autos and other awesome pointy weapons for carry if you aren't prohibited from buying a gun. However, I can't bring myself to purchase one over a Griptilian or Emerson-action Spydie due to the $200+ premium. If anyone can justify it or find a killer auto at reasonable price I would be absolutely thrilled.

mtnbkr
01-27-2017, 05:25 AM
WV just got autos and other awesome pointy weapons for carry if you aren't prohibited from buying a gun. However, I can't bring myself to purchase one over a Griptilian or Emerson-action Spydie due to the $200+ premium. If anyone can justify it or find a killer auto at reasonable price I would be absolutely thrilled.

Kershaw has a line of autos that use great materials, are made in the US, and cost less than $150 at full retail (can be found online for well under $100).

Ganzo, a Chinese company, makes what is reportedly a good auto. The ones I've seen aren't obvious knockoffs of any design I'm aware of. They are less than $25, which makes the favorable reports even more surprising. If the VA legislation passes, I may have to buy one to see for myself.

Chris

BobLoblaw
01-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Thanks Chris. I'll have to take a look at Ganzo. Ya know, I think I'd rather have that speedsafe Blur in S30V than one of those Kershaw autos in 154CM but maybe that's just me. The big advantage the Benchmade axis system has over any push button auto is one handed closing without dragging the blade spine against yourself or some other object. The big advantage of Emerson/wave openers is immediate deployment but two-handed closing usually. So, if I'm going auto, it's going to be OTF (one-handed open/close, springs at rest, Hollywood badass factor). I'm told they're a gimmick though and for the money, that makes them hard to purchase. I was really hoping for someone to say "they're not a gimmick, they're fantastic for reasons XYZ and here are some killer ones for less than two bills." A tall order, I know, which is why I have no true autos.

jc000
01-27-2017, 09:43 AM
I've tried to read the VA legislation. Is it only auto knives and not larger or double-edged knives?

Constitutional carry is also being introduced by my amazing state senator Richard Black.

Odin Bravo One
01-27-2017, 05:41 PM
All twenty some odd of mY autos were free and have Been legal to carry my entire adult life. I wouldn't buy one unless I was trying to get laid by some rookie gun bunny. Or I needed a letter/pacKage opener. About all they are good for.

23JAZ
01-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Thanks Chris. I'll have to take a look at Ganzo. Ya know, I think I'd rather have that speedsafe Blur in S30V than one of those Kershaw autos in 154CM but maybe that's just me. The big advantage the Benchmade axis system has over any push button auto is one handed closing without dragging the blade spine against yourself or some other object. The big advantage of Emerson/wave openers is immediate deployment but two-handed closing usually. So, if I'm going auto, it's going to be OTF (one-handed open/close, springs at rest, Hollywood badass factor). I'm told they're a gimmick though and for the money, that makes them hard to purchase. I was really hoping for someone to say "they're not a gimmick, they're fantastic for reasons XYZ and here are some killer ones for less than two bills." A tall order, I know, which is why I have no true autos.
Take a hard look at Raven Crest. Their OTF autos are very durable and you can pick one up for as little as $129.

OnionsAndDragons
01-31-2017, 06:52 PM
There is an HK branded OTF that is made by Benchmade that is one of the best values going if you have to go OTF. Can't remember what silly aggro name it has though. Think they usually come in at $125-150.

45dotACP
01-31-2017, 08:11 PM
All twenty some odd of mY autos were free and have Been legal to carry my entire adult life. I wouldn't buy one unless I was trying to get laid by some rookie gun bunny. Or I needed a letter/pacKage opener. About all they are good for.

But you've got twenty of them?

Must've been a pretty good play. Color me impressed ladykiller :D (JK dude, JK)

I'm not super enamored with auto knives either, though I'm not allowed to own one here in Illinois so there's that.

Odin Bravo One
01-31-2017, 10:19 PM
There is an HK branded OTF that is made by Benchmade that is one of the best values going if you have to go OTF. Can't remember what silly aggro name it has though. Think they usually come in at $125-150.

Unless there has been an empirical design change and use of different materials, that knife is an epic piece of shit, worth whatever the value of scrap metal is.

If it's an OTF and made by Benchmade, it's not something to consider spending money on.

OnionsAndDragons
01-31-2017, 10:43 PM
Unless there has been an empirical design change and use of different materials, that knife is an epic piece of shit, worth whatever the value of scrap metal is.

If it's an OTF and made by Benchmade, it's not something to consider spending money on.

Dude, I'm in your corner on OTFs being toys unsuitable for work. I was just trying to give the guy an option that would be fine for daily nonsense and would come with decent warranty service when it jumps the tracks or eats a spring on itself.

I don't consider any of the OTFs that are button retracting to be remotely sturdy or reliable for anything beyond the mail room.

Wondering Beard
01-31-2017, 11:55 PM
I have absolutely no use whatsoever for auto knives but I'm still glad the legislation is going forward. Any legislation that pushes back against the "oh my God, that looks dangerous and should be banned" mindset is generally fine with me. If it opens the door for more liberalisation, that's even better.

Odin Bravo One
02-01-2017, 06:42 PM
I'll bring a handful of autos to TLGs shoot in March for anyone interested in toying with them. And I mean like five or six, inclujng ITF. I tried selling most a few months back but didn't have any takers, so I traded a solid chunk of them for gold.

Grey
02-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Are microtechs the gold standard?

Chef
02-01-2017, 07:16 PM

I believe so. I am looking at an Ultratech 85 with a d/e blade= because I can.

Sigfan26
02-01-2017, 10:46 PM

I love my HALO. The Ultratech is about the only OTF auto I would own (seriously considering an Ultratech Spartan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odin Bravo One
02-02-2017, 03:58 AM
Ive had no less than 10 Micro-Tech's.

Again, if you ant a sexy letter opener, go apeshit.

If you want to do anything other than cut tape or boxes, spend your money on a real knife.

I'd seriously consider NOT shooting someone armed with an auto, especially an OTF.

A novelty at best. A really shitty waste of money and false sense of security at worst.

Maybe someone should ask Yeager......maybe he has an answer you will actually want to hear.

mtnbkr
02-02-2017, 07:26 AM
I've owned two autos, a Hubertus leverlock and an HK side-opener. I lost the Hubertus in a home robbery (covered by insurance, actually made money on the "loss"), and broke the HK trying to improve it. The spring was weak and I was going to replace it with a stronger one. Didn't work out and I don't miss it.

For me, autos are toys. They're fun to play with. That said, I'd rather have a good butterfly knife. Even more fun to play with and no springs to break or be "too slow". Unfortunately, even worse than autos, butterfly knives go from cheap crap to "oh-my-god" expensive without much stopping in between. I'd love to see a $100 butterfly knife made with decent materials (steel handles, maybe AUS-8 or similar blade) that was smooth.

Chris

BJXDS
02-02-2017, 08:18 AM
I don't see the big deal with auto knives. They are fun and knda cool, but what do the do different than a standard folder? What is your draw time with a folder vs auto vs fixed blade?
I never understood why they are banned, considered more dangerous than any other knife. Switchblades are the AR's of the knife world.

Rich@CCC
02-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Hollywood got them banned. They took on the bad guy/rebel image with the wild one and West Side Story and the like.

Glad to see another state considering ending a ridiculous ban.

Auto's are cool and even useful but they really aren't inherently any better than any other folding knife. I too see OTFs as toys regardless of their pedigree. A folding knife is a weakened fix blade(a necessary modification for ease of carry) and an OTF is weakened even more and then given an opening mechanism prone to failure. But, they are cool!

Technically, I can't carry an auto blade in Ohio. I do own several and some of them are damn fine tools. Probably over priced but then most production folders manufactured with quality materials and sturdy designs are, aren't they?

The RAT WORX MRX is a tank. and may be the most reliable automatic knife ever made. YMMV
I also like the Bench Made AXIS Lock autos. The AXIS Lock series are all great knives with an extremely dependable lock system, adding an auto spring is just a little icing on the cake.

Chuck Whitlock
02-05-2017, 09:46 AM
For me, autos are toys. They're fun to play with. That said, I'd rather have a good butterfly knife. Even more fun to play with and no springs to break or be "too slow". Unfortunately, even worse than autos, butterfly knives go from cheap crap to "oh-my-god" expensive without much stopping in between. I'd love to see a $100 butterfly knife made with decent materials (steel handles, maybe AUS-8 or similar blade) that was smooth.

I've always thought that a butterfly was the safest folding design...I don't see any way for it to fold up on you while in use. (I won't use the term "can't", because some enterprising moron will come along and prove me wrong)

The Pacific Cutlery ones were very nice before they were bought out by Benchmade. A good friend of mine had one. This was back in the mid 80s. I spent many cumulative hours flicking one around in front of the TV or whatnot as a teenager.

OnionsAndDragons
02-08-2017, 01:14 AM
I've always thought that a butterfly was the safest folding design...I don't see any way for it to fold up on you while in use. (I won't use the term "can't", because some enterprising moron will come along and prove me wrong)

A proper balisong is definitely the most secure folding knife design. Also just fucking sweet!

Totem Polar
02-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Not that anyone asked, but I *love* autos. OTF, coil spring... hell, even a leaf spring kicker: just super fun.

They're the Duncan Yo-Yos of the knife world.

If I actually have to cut something, the only folder I own that fits the bill is a Daniel Winkler.

The AXIS Lock series are all great knives with an extremely dependable lock system, adding an auto spring is just a little icing on the cake.

Agreed. Somebody should buy this one, here:

http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/product.aspx?ProductID=180767&ReturnUrl=product-filter.aspx?KnifeType%3D69%26MakersFilter%3D3792%2 6OrderBy%3DDateListed%20DESC%26Page%3D1%26ItemsPer Page%3D12

Just saying. :cool:

Tabasco
02-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Why are auto's any better than "assisted opening" folding knives?

Sigfan26
02-09-2017, 12:02 AM
Ive had no less than 10 Micro-Tech's.

Again, if you ant a sexy letter opener, go apeshit.

If you want to do anything other than cut tape or boxes, spend your money on a real knife.

I'd seriously consider NOT shooting someone armed with an auto, especially an OTF.

A novelty at best. A really shitty waste of money and false sense of security at worst.

Maybe someone should ask Yeager......maybe he has an answer you will actually want to hear.

I consider my HALO the sexiest letter opener available (and use it for that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe in PNG
02-09-2017, 12:52 AM
I remember someone bragging about his $$$ automatic knife. He pulled it out, hit the button, and as in Mythbusters slow motion, the knife sloooooooooooly opened itself.
Yep, it was plum full of pocket lint.
I'll stick to my CRKTs.