PDA

View Full Version : Safariland 883 vs. DAA Racer (plastic) pouches for new USPSA shooter?

Slalom.45
01-24-2017, 02:39 PM
I have just started shooting USPSA production. Until now I have been shooting a few very small IDPA matches per year, but have decided to get more involved and USPSA seems to be the way to go.

I plan to go slow with equipment, but it seems a good quality inner/outer belt and decent mag pouches are a must. From reading and watching online I am pretty set on a DAA belt, but am not sure about pouches. The price of the Safariland 883's is very attractive , but it seems the plastic version of the racer pouch from DAA is very well thought of. Cost really isn't a big factor long term, just which is the best and most functional. Any thoughts or guidance on either of these is appreciated.

(BTW. I looked at the Ghost and CR Speed's as well. The DAA and Safariland's appealed to me the most)

cheby
01-24-2017, 05:32 PM
DAA pouches are the best IMO. Buy the plastic ones. The aluminum ones are almost double in price and and are not really worth it.

msstate56
02-19-2017, 11:13 PM
I've been using the DAA racer pouches for well over a year now, through about 20 matches. I really like them, and the ease of friction adjustment is great. However, I did modify mine to work with the Safariland els forks. I use mine for USPSA, steel challenge, and 3 gun so I need to be able to reconfigure my pouches for each match. The DAA quick locking attachment is crap however, I cracked about 10 of them before I gave up and converted everything to the Safariland els forks. What brand magazines are you using?

Slalom.45
02-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Using Glock mags msstate56. Actually went ahead and bought them as a birthday present for myself about a week ago. Ran drills with them and the DAA belt over the weekend and all seems well. Doubt it will change match scores much, but it feels a bit cooler than strapping on the Fobus paddle!

Thanks for the info on the quick release issues. That's not in my wheelhouse for now, but good to know.

Gio
02-26-2017, 04:55 PM
DAA are definitely the way to go, especially with glock mags. I've found that glock mags vary in thicknesses causing set screw retention mag pouches to be wildly inconsistent. Not a problem when you are using the same mag or two for carry everyday, but it becomes a nuisance when you have 6+ mags that you cycle through in a match. The DAA mags use a leaf spring for retention which is much more consistent for retaining mags of various dimensions.

msstate56
02-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Another useful modification to the DAA racers: I added a thin plastic "shim" behind the spacer inside the pouch. I took several used plastic gift cards and cut them out to match the shape of the insert in the pouch. It really helped take the side to side wobble out of the mag while in the pouch. The "Glock" insert just wasn't quite right for me, but now it's perfect, and it was a free mod if you've got some old gift cards lying around.

Clusterfrack
02-27-2017, 08:49 PM
I like the Ghost pouches for USPSA Production.