PDA

View Full Version : First responder's notification about stored ammo

YVK
03-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Not sure where to post this. For those of you who store considerable amounts of ammo at home, do you post any signs or notifications to let first responders not to go into a hazard area? I am specifically referring to warning firefighters in a case of house fire.

turbolag23
03-03-2011, 03:27 PM
i do not have any written signs of where i store my ammo in the house. the big safe and sealed metal containers next to it may or may not be a giveaway but i dont advertise it.

David
03-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Not sure where to post this. For those of you who store considerable amounts of ammo at home, do you post any signs or notifications to let first responders not to go into a hazard area? I am specifically referring to warning firefighters in a case of house fire.

define "considerable amounts of ammo".

Makso9
03-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Dot Dot Dot......

The Mythbusters placed a .22 caliber, .44 caliber, and .50 caliber bullet inside an oven. All of the bullets exploded once the oven was hot enough, but none of them were able to penetrate the oven. Without a gun barrel to contain and direct the propellant gases, the bullets did not develop enough speed to pierce the glass or steel portions of the oven. The shell casings actually caused more damage than the bullets.

From the mythbustersresults.com website...

I believe also that there was a industry manufacture that had a warehouse fire where they stocked ammo and no one got hurt either.

"one of those tales you hear."

Long story short I wouldn't tell anyone where you keep what.

ToddG
03-03-2011, 04:29 PM

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/P30-ammo-all1.jpg

peterb
03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
SAAMI has good information about ammunition in fires:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_212-Facts_About_Sporting_Ammunition_Fires.pdf

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm?page=pubs#5

turbolag23
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
damn, i wish i had 50k rounds at my disposal. thats a sweet sight

David
03-03-2011, 04:58 PM
http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/P30-ammo-all1.jpg

In that case, I apparently do not have "considerable amounts of ammo". :mad:

ToddG
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
but I need to upstage Todd

I didn't pay for mine.

OK, you're turn. :cool:

JV_
03-03-2011, 05:37 PM
(I won't correct the grammar, only a total ass would do that.):D LOL

ToddG
03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Wow. I suck.

David
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
that was funny.

John Ralston
03-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Do you guys with stacks of ammo cases make your kids eat Top Ramen 3 times a day? I bitch about not having enough $$ to buy 1000 rounds at a time!

gtmtnbiker98
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Wow. I suck.
But we "don't hate you."

YVK
03-03-2011, 06:52 PM

About 20 thousand rounds.

Dot Dot Dot......

The Mythbusters placed a .22 caliber, .44 caliber, and .50 caliber bullet inside an oven. All of the bullets exploded once the oven was hot enough, but none of them were able to penetrate the oven. Without a gun barrel to contain and direct the propellant gases, the bullets did not develop enough speed to pierce the glass or steel portions of the oven. The shell casings actually caused more damage than the bullets.

From the mythbustersresults.com website...

I believe also that there was a industry manufacture that had a warehouse fire where they stocked ammo and no one got hurt either.

"one of those tales you hear."

Long story short I wouldn't tell anyone where you keep what.

Yeah, I know that bullets won't fly unless they are chambered (which is a separate question of storing firearms hot), but I was more concerned of preventing them (firefighters) going into areas with high concentration of combustible and explosive stuff.

P.S: that WAS funny!

David
03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
About 20 thousand rounds.

Then I STILL don't have a "considerable amounts of ammo". :mad: I have a very wobbly 22lr LRN cartridge I found while taking my dog for her walk, some in governmental positions would consider that a genuine stockpile.

YVK
03-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Then I STILL don't have a "considerable amounts of ammo". :mad:

But, according to your avatar, your ammo has better kung-fu than my ammo.

STS
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
As a fulltime firefighter, I can assure you that ammo in a house fire can heat up enough to fire and when it does, it will penetrate things such as walls. I'm trying to find the link to a fire we had several years ago here in Vegas. I believe it was summer 2009. We had a ripping house fire we had to pull out of because the owner had over 20,000 rounds of various calibers stored in his two story house. The ammo was stored on the first floor. We became aware of the ammo when the truck company of the roof thatwas performing vertical ventilation (cutting holes in the roof to get the smoke out) and they realized they had rounds cooking off and coming through the roof!

David
03-04-2011, 10:31 PM
But, according to your avatar, your ammo has better kung-fu than my ammo.

At $40.00 per 50 round box it better have some kung-fu. You can launch an entire mag my way before I get off 3 rounds though so while my fu would be most impressive, odds are I'd be dead and you'd just be blind & deaf from beholding my pre-rigor-fu.

orionz06
03-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Do you guys with stacks of ammo cases make your kids eat Top Ramen 3 times a day? I bitch about not having enough $$ to buy 1000 rounds at a time!

Kids?

Pistol Shooter
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM

No Ramen just lots of PBJ sammiches. ;)