PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory Saint - decent?

Mntneer357
01-20-2017, 08:30 AM
Either my Search-Fu is weak or I'm just doing it wrong. At any rate, as a new prospective AR buyer (looking for a gun to use for home defense, possibly in some classes, and at the range), are these worth a shit? I know Colt's 6920 is pretty much the gold standard for well-made ARs. Sadly, I can't seem to find one at a decent price in my area. When I have seen one or two, the sellers are pretty damn fond of them. Recently, it's like Colt is only shipping their "Expanse" rifles to central SC for whatever reason.

Last weekend, I ran across a Springfield Saint in the wild at my LGS ($798 plus tax) and it seemed about on par with S&W's M&P. But, when it comes to ARs, I'm not as knowledgable as I'd like to be. Can y'all give me some opinions and/or recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your time!

JeffDG
01-20-2017, 09:15 AM
For me I would go with a 6920. For around $100 more it's a quality proven rifle.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Bigghoss
01-20-2017, 11:36 AM
The Saint is too new to really know how it'll hold up. Sure you can take it apart and see if the staking is good and everything but really you need people putting rounds through the guns to find out if they're good.

Shop around online and order a Colt and you will be glad you did.

Rick62
01-20-2017, 11:47 AM
https://www.gtdist.com/colt-ar-15-oem1-platform-carbine-fixed-front-sight-post.html

I completely agree with the opinions mentioned above. The 6920 is the standard answer for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Colt 6920 or OEM model. Even if you have to order online.

Several early adopters are reporting problems related to improper assembly.

LittleLebowski
01-20-2017, 02:05 PM
I'd rather have a BCM, 6920, or S&W.

WobblyPossum
01-20-2017, 02:10 PM
I'd wait for a deal on a 6920 or 6720. With a republican president and congress, our right to own ARs isn't in immediate danger so you don't have to rush to acquire one. Palmetto State Armory has some great deals periodically and Arms Unlimited always has fair prices.

ReverendMeat
01-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Too early to tell. If you can't find a 6920 or 6720 I'd look at S&W or FN.

Kyle Reese
01-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Boom.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-AR15-A3-Tactical-Patrol-Lightweight-Carbine-p/ar6720.htm

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
01-20-2017, 07:49 PM
Boom.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-AR15-A3-Tactical-Patrol-Lightweight-Carbine-p/ar6720.htm

Winner.

OP: I would greatly prefer a deal on a Colt or BCM. That's an excellent deal at Arms Unlimited. I have purchased multiple firearms from them without issue.

Sigfan26
01-20-2017, 08:06 PM
Boom.

HOLY CRAP! I don't see how anyone who doesn't have an AR could pass on that.

Mntneer357
01-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Thank you very much to all who replied. I appreciate your time and your guidance.

I'll continue to hunt for and save for a Colt 6920. BTW, is there a big difference between the 6920 and the 6720?

PearTree
01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
The 6920 has a government profile barrel versus the 6720 has a pencil barrel. The 6920 can also be had with Magpul furniture where the 6720 can not.

Beat Trash
01-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Thank you very much to all who replied. I appreciate your time and your guidance.

I'll continue to hunt for and save for a Colt 6920. BTW, is there a big difference between the 6920 and the 6720?

I own both guns. The only difference is the barrel profile. The 6720 balances more at the magazine well and the 6920 is slightly more muzzle heavy.

All of my Colt 6920's and my lone 6720 have MagPul MOE sl furniture on them.

gtmtnbiker98
03-08-2017, 07:37 PM
This thread is a few months old, but I picked up a Saint a few weeks ago. Have almost 500 rounds through it and can say, I'm impressed. I'm a big BCM fan, owning a few samples of BCM mid-lengths factory complete rifles. With that said, I believe that BCM has a lot more to do with the Saint than Springfield. I find it hard calling the Saint an entry level AR when it is built correctly with BCM furniture. The thing runs, what else is there to ask for? The only "downside" is the melonite barrel, but is that really a downside when compared to CL barrels? The Saint is every bit the rifle as my full factory BCM mid-length.

MSparks909
03-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Call me picky, but I don't like 16" carbine gas ARs. Greatly prefer a mid length gas system for that barrel length. Shoot a properly gassed 16" Middy (BCM, DD, Sionics) next to a 6920 with the same ammo & same buffer and you'll be able to tell a difference. Not earth shattering, but it's definitely there.

ReverendMeat
03-08-2017, 09:49 PM
The saint is a midlength. Also shush! If you extol the virtues of a middie system youre just begging for rob s to come in and tell you youre dumb

MSparks909
03-08-2017, 09:57 PM
The saint is a midlength. Also shush! If you extol the virtues of a middie system youre just begging for rob s to come in and tell you youre dumb

I know. I'd take the Saint over a 6920.

Cue the Colt fanboys in 3...2...1 :D

bravo7
03-08-2017, 10:18 PM
I'd take neither....

bravo7
03-08-2017, 10:21 PM
This thread is a few months old, but I picked up a Saint a few weeks ago. Have almost 500 rounds through it and can say, I'm impressed. I'm a big BCM fan, owning a few samples of BCM mid-lengths factory complete rifles. With that said, I believe that BCM has a lot more to do with the Saint than Springfield. I find it hard calling the Saint an entry level AR when it is built correctly with BCM furniture. The thing runs, what else is there to ask for? The only "downside" is the melonite barrel, but is that really a downside when compared to CL barrels? The Saint is every bit the rifle as my full factory BCM mid-length.

So using using BCM furniture makes it a BCM and not entry level......

MSparks909
03-08-2017, 10:30 PM

Please define how the Saint is entry level. When I hear "entry level" I think Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, etc.

gtmtnbiker98
03-09-2017, 05:37 AM
How did you draw that conclusion from my post? Being built correctly with quality parts makes for a good rifle.

PearTree
03-09-2017, 08:39 AM
How did you draw that conclusion from my post? Being built correctly with quality parts makes for a good rifle.
How do we know the saint is built correctly or has quality parts? Because the spec sheet says so? The gun is brand new with no track record.

This gun has many years and a lot of rounds to go before it should be mentioned in the same sentence as BCM, Colt, DD, etc.

gtmtnbiker98
03-09-2017, 10:04 AM
How do we know the saint is built correctly or has quality parts? Because the spec sheet says so? The gun is brand new with no track record.

This gun has many years and a lot of rounds to go before it should be mentioned in the same sentence as BCM, Colt, DD, etc.

Opinions vary, but the only problematic AR I've had in recent years was a DD (overpriced anyway). I'll never argue the status of BCM or Colt. How much experience do you have with the Saint? How do you know it shouldn't be mentioned with the other known brands? Perhaps because of the same spec sheets? Everything needs a track record, that I will agree with.

Mntneer357
03-09-2017, 10:39 AM
I wanted to post a thank you for the interesting information. As an update, my hunt continues. Seems most of my LGS are having issues getting Colt rifles in stock. I'd imagine this could be related to Colt's bankruptcy/reorganization or whatever they're calling it this time 'round. When I have seen a Colt they seem to be fetching close to $1200, which is just outta my budget.

The Springer Saint *is* new. No argument there. But is the thing is set up right? Uses mil-spec parts? Isn't that more or less what matters or am I missing more of the story? Like I said, there's a lot I don't know about ARs. I'm half-tempted to begin hunting for a lightly used .30-30 as my go-to rifle.

Soggy
03-09-2017, 11:31 AM
I wanted to post a thank you for the interesting information. As an update, my hunt continues. Seems most of my LGS are having issues getting Colt rifles in stock. I'd imagine this could be related to Colt's bankruptcy/reorganization or whatever they're calling it this time 'round. When I have seen a Colt they seem to be fetching close to $1200, which is just outta my budget.

The Springer Saint *is* new. No argument there. But is the thing is set up right? Uses mil-spec parts? Isn't that more or less what matters or am I missing more of the story? Like I said, there's a lot I don't know about ARs. I'm half-tempted to begin hunting for a lightly used .30-30 as my go-to rifle.

It may be more to do with people panic buying on the Colt news (more demand) vs actual short supply, but who knows. But still $1200 seems like a bit much. You can order an OEM for 750, or a complete rifle for under 900 with shipping:
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/098289020260
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/098289020253?upc_only=1&is_firearms_wikiarms=0
https://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/098289019332

I watch the 6920 prices pretty closely as a barometer for the market overall. There does seem to be a slight rise in cheapest prices by about 30-50 bucks. But in historical context they are still way cheaper then they have been for years and years.

Not to say you shouldn't get the Saint. I don't know anything about it other than I think it is a stupid name. If I wanted to get anything other than a Colt I'd probably get a S&W.

PearTree
03-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Opinions vary, but the only problematic AR I've had in recent years was a DD (overpriced anyway). I'll never argue the status of BCM or Colt. How much experience do you have with the Saint? How do you know it shouldn't be mentioned with the other known brands? Perhaps because of the same spec sheets? Everything needs a track record, that I will agree with.
My main point was it has no track record and no long term durability numbers. Colt, DD, and now BCM have them through either military, law enforcement, or hobbyist use. I now throw sionics in there as well with like 65+ law enforcement agencies using them with great success.

The Springfield has none of this being brand new. So I say it's much to early to refer to it in the same sentence as the brands listed above.

Alembic
03-09-2017, 07:12 PM
My LGS has colts on sale for $849 every three or four months.

SLG
03-09-2017, 07:22 PM
From left field...

If I was going to spend more than about $800, I would have to look at the MCX. To be fair, I'm not comparing apples to apples, or consumer pricing, but above the Colt/BCM price point, I would look at the MCX. I'm not sure where the Knights prices fall these days, but I think they are more than the MCX.

Mntneer357
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Just took a look at the MCX and with an MSRP of ~$2100, that's at the opposite end of the budget spectrum. SIG does indeed make real nice stuff, but so do a lot of other folks at that price point.

MSparks909
03-10-2017, 12:25 PM
From left field...

If I was going to spend more than about $800, I would have to look at the MCX. To be fair, I'm not comparing apples to apples, or consumer pricing, but above the Colt/BCM price point, I would look at the MCX. I'm not sure where the Knights prices fall these days, but I think they are more than the MCX.

That's surprising to hear considering all of the updates and recalls that have plagued the MCX line since it was released. There's a lengthy thread on the MCX over at M4C...after following it and reading all of the various issues reported by MCX owners it was enough to scare me from the rifle. Everything from accuracy issues to reliability issues to many instances of parts breakages and multiple recalls by Sig. No thanks.

FWIW I got my 16" Mod 2 SR-15 for $2K. If you're spending around ~2K get a Knight's and be done. As an aside, I think DD is overpriced now. When you add up the included features you get on the SR-15 it really is a bargain compared to adding accessories to a DD or another similar high end AR. And that's coming from someone who owns DD, BCM and KAC rifles.

SLG
03-10-2017, 12:36 PM
That's surprising to hear considering all of the updates and recalls that have plagued the MCX line since it was released.

FWIW I got my 16" Mod 2 SR-15 for $2K.

I have it on good authority that the current mcx is gtg. I'm also not comparing $2100 rifles, so as I said, not apples to apples.

For a hard use gun, 6920 is my first choice. Im not sure how much I would be willing to spend to get one, though. All of my current ones were very reasonable. As a kid, I paid $1100 for one during the ban years, and was happy to get it. If I couldnt get a 6920, BCM would be my next choice. Once I have to spend more than that though, I would look at the MCX. Id also look at knights, but I think I'd spend a fair bit less on the sig.

This is how I look at it with my money. Not recommending others do the same, and you may be looking at very different costs, idk.

Default.mp3
03-10-2017, 05:27 PM
FWIW, G&R is having a sale on some Colts, including the OEMs for 690 USD, AR6720s for ~827 USD, CCUs for 1150 USD. I'm not a fan of G&R, but it is a damn good price: http://www.dereferer.com/?http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?194279-Colt-AR-Sale