PDA

View Full Version : Backpack progression list

JustOneGun
01-19-2017, 05:34 PM
MODS: If this is in the wrong place or there is no good place for it, obviously do with it what you will.

On another thread Hambo asked me how I got my backpack base weight down to 7 pounds. A base weight doesn't include food or water as that varies depending on where and how far you hike between resupply. When I get home tomorrow I will drag my stuff out of the garage and take a few pictures of it with a complete detailed list of what I carry now and the exact weight per the postal scale. Yes, if you want to get fast at shooting you need a timer. If you want to reduce weight, you need a postal scale.

Until then I thought I would explain the progression from 25 to 7 pound. Just like shooting a combo of gear, experience and preference is how it's done. That takes money, time and knowledge. Side note, all my lists are for three season trekking on trails. I don't bushwack, peak bag or hike through massive snow drifts.

EQUIPMENT: The weights are from memory but close. I'll weigh it tomorrow and send a few pics.

I have no connection to any companies in my life, including backpacking ones.

RayJardine.com The theory of light/ultralight backpacking was coined by Ray Jardine. He has a few books that actually break down EVERYTHING on long distance trekking. The one I read was called, "Trail Life". Warning, he is more opinionated and crazy than even I am. That's saying something too. LOL.

GossamerGear.com Backpacks I have an out of production Hyperlite in the 9 oz range.

Golite(out of business) old breeze backpack-14 oz. Have a smaller "Day" backpack that is around 12 oz.

ULA-equipment.com Heavy weight convertible backpack. Weight is from 41 oz to 25 oz with everything stripped off. This is how I use it. Use this if your a hunter or go off trail. They are bomb proof.

Zpacks.com 900 down 20 degree long sleeping bag. 19.5 oz

TarpTent.com When I use a tent I use an old, "Moment" tent made by Henry Shires. 34 oz

Stove: Homemade alcohol stove.

What do I do with all this stuff? I started hiking when I was in my teens. I think my pack was around 4 pounds empty at that time. My longest hike was the southern portion of the Pacific Crest Trail a few years ago. I walked the crest from the Mexican border in east county San Diego to the southern Sierra just south of Mt. Whitney ending in the town of Lone Pine. A total of 745 miles plus side trips to town for water and food in 40 days and 39 nights.

On that trip I used a Golite(out of business) "Breeze" backpack, Zpacks long sleeping bag and a Henry Shires "Moment" Tent.

Hambo
01-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the thread. In my younger days I never worried about pack weight because a) I could carry it b) weather where I hiked was often unpredictable and c) I was young and stupid. Now that I'm older, wiser, and not quite as tough you've got my attention.

blues
01-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the thread. In my younger days I never worried about pack weight because a) I could carry it b) weather where I hiked was often unpredictable and c) I was young and stupid. Now that I'm older, wiser, and not quite as tough you've got my attention.

Been there, done that. My pack during my 5 week NOLS expedition was incredibly heavy. (We had a lot of climbing gear.)
And the added "benefit" was that the pack they issued me had a web belt instead of a padded hip belt. Wore both hips raw within a few days. (I was 21 and hadn't been on an extended multi-week trek before so didn't own a pack large enough for all the gear.)

On that trip I dropped from 162 lbs when I left NY to 137 lbs when I got back to Lander, WY at the end of the course. And I didn't need to shed weight.

FOG
01-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Just fyi, Go Lite is back in business under the name of MTC or My Trail Company.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

SLG
01-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Just fyi, Go Lite is back in business under the name of MTC or My Trail Company.

Sort of. No utopia line at all. very disappointing. :-(

JustOneGun
01-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Good to know. Sadly they will not be making the breeze or the day in any form that is similar to the original due to a law suit between them and ray jardine. If you want a jardine pack you will have to sew it up yourself. Jardine will sell you pattern if you like.

blues
01-19-2017, 10:50 PM
What are you wearing footwear wise?

JustOneGun
01-19-2017, 11:11 PM
What are you wearing footwear wise?

People with duck feet like me wear New Balance running shoes. Try to keep them under 12 oz each shoe for a size 11.5EE

I went through two pair in 745 miles on the pct.

blues
01-19-2017, 11:45 PM
People with duck feet like me wear New Balance running shoes. Try to keep them under 12 oz each shoe for a size 11.5EE

I went through two pair in 745 miles on the pct.

I have a variety of foot issues...Morton's toe, over pronation, flattish feet...none of which bothered me as a kid but started to in young adulthood with more and more climbing, backpacking, running and lifting.

I haven't had New Balance running shoes in some years but when I was backpacking and climbing in the Wrangells I had an old (heavy) pair of Raichle's that began to kill me. When we came out near Chitina we drove down to Valdez and I picked up a lightweight pair of New Balance hiking boots that were a revelation. They were so light, supportive and forgiving that the rest of my time up there I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.
The only problem was that they weren't particularly durable.

Not as light as your shoes but the shoes I have found work well for me the past couple of years are the Ahnu "Ridgecrest" (18 oz / size 11) and the Oboz "Bridger". The combination of built in arch support and stability in both pairs of shoes have been a godsend for me. It almost seems counterintuitive that they combine arch support and cushioning so well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I always enjoy hearing about and learning from the gear and footwear choices of others.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 08:29 AM
I have a variety of foot issues...Morton's toe, over pronation, flattish feet...none of which bothered me as a kid but started to in young adulthood with more and more climbing, backpacking, running and lifting.

I haven't had New Balance running shoes in some years but when I was backpacking and climbing in the Wrangells I had an old (heavy) pair of Raichle's that began to kill me. When we came out near Chitina we drove down to Valdez and I picked up a lightweight pair of New Balance hiking boots that were a revelation. They were so light, supportive and forgiving that the rest of my time up there I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.
The only problem was that they weren't particularly durable.

Not as light as your shoes but the shoes I have found work well for me the past couple of years are the Ahnu "Ridgecrest" (18 oz / size 11) and the Oboz "Bridger". The combination of built in arch support and stability in both pairs of shoes have been a godsend for me. It almost seems counterintuitive that they combine arch support and cushioning so well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I always enjoy hearing about and learning from the gear and footwear choices of others.

Carrying a light load on a multi day journey has quite a positive cascading effect for me. If one is around 7 to 8 pounds of weight and adds food for 4-5 trip and then adds a gallon of water during a dry stretch that max weight ends up being around 23-24 pounds until the water is consumed. My heaviest weight with water, food and gear for a six day journey is 30 pounds. Of course by the end of the six days I was down to 7-8 pounds again.

With less weight the perceived need for boots diminishes. I went from boots as a kid to fabric high tops to trail runners and now I haven't hiked in anything but running shoes for over a decade. I have a high arch and use green Superfeet insoles. They have different colors depending on your type of foot. Others hate using anything but a flat insole. There are a lot of options. I just buy what's on sale from last years stock. I sometimes get trail runners. I usually spend $60 for my shoes and buy two pair. One for training and one for the trip.

I frequently hike 20+ mile days during my trips. Even as a young 20 something skinny gazelle like kid I was not able to do that without pain or bitching beyond belief. What shoes you wear often depends on the weight you're carrying.

Peally
01-20-2017, 08:58 AM
This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm planning to do a 10+mile a day backpacking trip in May and I've been trying to get my body used to walking that far with a pack. It ain't easy.

Got any favorite shoe models? I try a different pair every time I buy shoes and I've yet to find ones that don't suck ass either in comfort or durability.

blues
01-20-2017, 09:11 AM
...I have a high arch and use green Superfeet insoles. They have different colors depending on your type of foot. Others hate using anything but a flat insole. There are a lot of options. I just buy what's on sale from last years stock. I sometimes get trail runners. I usually spend $60 for my shoes and buy two pair. One for training and one for the trip.

I frequently hike 20+ mile days during my trips. Even as a young 20 something skinny gazelle like kid I was not able to do that without pain or bitching beyond belief. What shoes you wear often depends on the weight you're carrying.

I have been using Superfeet green (in my other shoes) for years. I use one set of the blue in my weight training shoes but not for outdoor use.
(Neither the Ridgecrest or Bridger shoes referenced above require the use of Superfeet, that's how good the platform and OEM footbeds are.)

Apparently Ahnu has since been merged with Teva and I don't even see the Ridgecrest offered anymore, let alone many men's shoes at all.
Fortunately, after finding the first pair locally, I was able to find additional pairs online deeply discounted and I currently have four pair.

(The irony is that I like the shoes so much I actually called the company to give them kudos and beg them never to drop the model from their product line. Sure kiss of death if there ever was one.)

Yep. Twenty mile days are a lot easier in good shoes. Both my wife and I enjoy such days in good footwear supported by good gear. (I haven't entirely adopted ultralight gear except for tarps and such but I keep the weight pretty reasonable for our comfort zones.)

blues
01-20-2017, 09:54 AM
This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm planning to do a 10+mile a day backpacking trip in May and I've been trying to get my body used to walking that far with a pack. It ain't easy.

Got any favorite shoe models? I try a different pair every time I buy shoes and I've yet to find ones that don't suck ass either in comfort or durability.

I mentioned the shoes I like in an earlier post and while they fit and feel much like running shoes, they are more substantial so you have to find the balance that works for you.

I would stress, based upon my own experience, that you should be happy with the fit and feel before walking out of the store. Don't count on breaking the shoe in over a period of days or miles. (That can happen but is not a given.) You want support where you need it, cushioning where you need it, minimal to no heel lift and a tread pattern (and composition) that will work for your intended terrain. Happy feet make all the difference.

You should be able to tell if it's a good fit as soon as you've taken a few steps around the store and stood on an incline to make sure your toes aren't hitting the front of the shoes. Don't let any salesperson convince you to choose something when your feet tell you otherwise.

SLG
01-20-2017, 09:58 AM
I hope this isn't too far off, but I'm strongly considering getting a Hilleberg Bivanorak. It will replace my rainwear/windwear, as well as my Bivy. For my use, it seems like a good option. I'm not a true ultralighter by any means, and I know there are some crazy light bivy's and rainwear out there. I use a GI bivy a fair bit, so this is a big weight savings in total. Anyone have any experience with it?

As far as shoes, I've done 30 mile days with 50# packs for work, more than a few times. Even a few times on my own for fun, but not in the last few years. I never use anything but runners. Solomon was my go to for the last 15 years, but today I wear a zero differential, usually minimalist shoe. Haven't done any real weight or distance with those yet, so no idea how they compare to the Solomons. I also have strong flexible ankles, so rolling my ankle has never been an issue.

blues
01-20-2017, 10:06 AM
That looks like an interesting piece of kit, SLG, especially if you get caught out on your own while hunting or bushwhacking.

I've never tried Salomon shoes though I know they have lots of fans.

Hambo
01-20-2017, 10:15 AM
I've done 30 mile days with 50# packs At age 25, fifty pounds or more was no big deal. At 50+, I'd like to try the inverse. :cool: The idea of running shoes instead of boots is also appealing as I've apparently crunched my left foot/toes one too many times.

SLG
01-20-2017, 10:53 AM
At age 25, fifty pounds or more was no big deal. At 50+, I'd like to try the inverse. :cool: .

Couldn't agree more. The difference is, one is for work, one is for pleasure. For work, I'll get it done. For pleasure, I want much less weight. The flipside is, much of my field time is based around hunting, and where my base pack weight is reasonably light at dawn, by dusk it could have 100# of meat and head and hide attached to it. 100# is way over my comfort level, and the few times I've had to do that, my truck was only a few miles away. These days it hasn't been an issue, since my hunting has changed a bit, but I still want to be ready to go when I need to be.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 12:14 PM
I hope this isn't too far off, but I'm strongly considering getting a Hilleberg Bivanorak. It will replace my rainwear/windwear, as well as my Bivy. For my use, it seems like a good option. I'm not a true ultralighter by any means, and I know there are some crazy light bivy's and rainwear out there. I use a GI bivy a fair bit, so this is a big weight savings in total. Anyone have any experience with it?

As far as shoes, I've done 30 mile days with 50# packs for work, more than a few times. Even a few times on my own for fun, but not in the last few years. I never use anything but runners. Solomon was my go to for the last 15 years, but today I wear a zero differential, usually minimalist shoe. Haven't done any real weight or distance with those yet, so no idea how they compare to the Solomons. I also have strong flexible ankles, so rolling my ankle has never been an issue.

I started my lightweight trip using a bibler bivy. Soggy and wet from sweat is what I got. But it will keep the rain out. I use a tarp sometimes. I have used an equinox rain poncho with a 1.1 oz nylon bivy. From memory the whole set up was around a pound. Because I'm a wus I also use a sea to summit bug net that weighs I think 3.9 oz. I also have a homemade 8x8 tarp that is 11 oz. Also made from 1.1 oz silnylon.

You might want to look at the Gatewood cape. I borrowed one on the PCT a few years ago. I like it. But there's a catch. If you buy it also buy some lightweight and ADJUSTABLE tiedowns. 1.1silnylon will stretch slightly when wet. With the adjusters one can reach into the corners of the tarp and tighten it without going outside. It is a large poncho and a tent. It is lightweight and requires one pole (hiking pole if you use them) or you can buy a carbon fiber pole for it that is about 3 oz.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 12:40 PM

If you want to reduce weight one needs to use light, multi-functional items.

This is my middle of the road pack. It is a Golite "Day" pack. It is no longer made. The pack is 24" tall x 11" wide x 5" deep from the back. For reference the water bottle is a tall trader joes 1.5L bottle. I carry one on each side for a total of 3L. I can put a 1L bottle in the net which is on the back(left side of pic) of the pack. I use that net for drying my wet stuff like tent/rain jacket etc.

The pack is just a sack with shoulder straps. It has no padding or hip belt. It weighs 13.2 oz on my postal scale.

If you look at the right side of the pack(back of the pack) you can see my cut down to 4 feet long(?) zrest sleeping pad (8.2 oz). That stretches from neck to lower calf on me. It is held in place by two horizontal pockets hand sewn to the pack at the top and bottom. That is my padding for the back as well as to insulate me during sleep. It is also a sit pad during breaks. I pull it out and sit on it without unfolding it. Or I have been known to unfold it and lay down/lean against something during breaks. That keeps my pants and shirt from getting dirty.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 01:27 PM

The black bag on the right is my rolled up tent. The Tarptent.com "Moment" tent weighs 34.1 oz including three stakes and a top line to keep the tent stable in high wind. It's packed size is 21" x 5".

The white roll on the left is a sea to summit(?) silk liner. It keeps my sleeping bag clean and adds a few degrees of warmth. It was 3.9 oz as a rectangle. I sewed it down to a mummy and is 3.1 oz now.

The gray thing on top is my inflatable pillow. It is 2.1 oz sea to summit.

It's snowing outside so I didn't open up the tent and set it up. The websites of these companies have great pics.

These weights may have changed over time with the companies new products, but they will be similar. Also remember that you can modify items to fit your use as I did to the silk liner.

And no, I do not take the flower platter and notebook with me when I hike. LOL.

taadski
01-20-2017, 01:35 PM

I've dabbled pretty extensively with the minimalist shoe thing. And I still fancy wearing them for a lot of activities. Hiking and climbing in the mountains with load is not one of them, however. On flatter terrain, I find them more plausible, but on longer slogs there is still a perceived fatigue increase for me over something with a touch more ramp and a touch more support. FWIW.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 01:45 PM

Homemade rain jacket 3.1 oz. If I can sew it anyone can. Patterns at the store. Sewing is easy once you get someone to balance the polyester thread in the machine. You can buy 1.1 oz silicon coated nylon and uncoated at a few online stores. I no longer know where though as this rain shirt has lasted years.

Hint: make/buy the rain gear sized while you are wearing all your clothes. So I wear a hiking shirt and a zip-t insulating shirt. You don't want the rain jacket to compress any insulating clothing.

No hood on this rain jacket. I walk wearing a 3 oz sun hat, even in the rain. It keeps the water off my face and neck.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 02:15 PM

zpack.com 20 degree 900 power down sleeping bag. Notice no hood on this mummy bag. I just curl up the bag around my neck and use my fleece hat to cover my head, ears, upper neck and eyes. If it is brutally cold I will wrap my big old fashioned bandana (1.5 oz) around my face. I don't like breathing into my bag. Too much dampness occurs.

If you are a back sleeper you could save weight by using a quilt instead of a mummy bag. I toss and turn from back to side all night. It just didn't work for me. If you can use a quilt it is easy to make your own. I made one for summer using 4 linear yards of 1.1 oz nylon (no coating) and 1 inch permaloft sport. It just looks like a mummy bag with no zipper and the width is just long enough to tuck under your sleeping mat. I got that idea from Ray Jardine's book Trail Life.

If you are handy with a sewing machine and know what you want you can have a super ultralight backpacking list that costs about 10% what the fancy store bought stuff is. I'm lazy so just bought the stuff. This bag cost me $320 if I remember correctly.

One great thing about these online gear makers is that most of them are actually AT/PCT/CDT thru hikers. They have used the stuff. They are willing to adapt their products for a small fee to what you want and need. Don't be afraid to ask.

GRV
01-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Solomon was my go to for the last 15 years, but today I wear a zero differential, usually minimalist shoe. Haven't done any real weight or distance with those yet, so no idea how they compare to the Solomons. I also have strong flexible ankles, so rolling my ankle has never been an issue.

Funny, I just made the same switch. My feet are still getting used to the transition, so no significant miles yet, but my toes are already a lot happier.

Which minimalist shoe(s) are you running? Also, what are you running at work for training vs. call-out?

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 03:31 PM
deleted

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 03:33 PM

I usually go stoveless when hiking. But if I do take a stove this is my set up for cooking. The empty 6 oz capacity soda bottle is to carry my Heet alcohol from the yellow bottle. Don't use the red bottled Heet. It has a lot of water in it.

The bottom can with holes in it is an aluminum potted meat can that I use as a stove. I punched holes in it using a paper punch. 1 oz of yellow can Heet will boil water and cook a mountain house/ramen type meal.

The can above the stove is just what it looks like, it's a big(16-18 oz capacity?) can of Heineken. I used a steak sauce bottle to push the bottom of the beer can flat. Put the bottle inside the beer can and force down the curved bottom. This is important. The flat/flatter bottom of the can must seal on top of the stove. That creates pressure that forces the burning alcohol out of the holes. If done correctly it will look like the flame on your gas stove top. That is my water pot. I just drank the beer and used a can opener to remove the top. Sand papered the sharp edges.

The sheet metal looking band on the outside of everything is heater ducting. It acts as a wind block for the stove. The entire set up is 6.2 oz including the bag under it.

A rant about alcohol stoves. If you are not willing to learn how to use an alcohol stove prior to going into nature you might want to look for a canister stove. They have similar canister stove setups that look almost like my homemade one. Where and how you use an alcohol stove has a learning curve. Almost everyone spills the fire at some point. Do that in the wrong place and you will start a forest fire. There is no good way to put out the alcohol in the stove. You only use an ounce at a time and let it all burn out to boil the water. Learn to use it in a bbq pit or on a concrete/gravel driveway. I spilled it once before I got the hang of it.

I only use the stove to boil water. Then I put the water into the dinner pouch.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 03:44 PM

These are the clothing items that have been with me for years. I haven't weighed them in years. I will give ball park weights. 5.11 beanie size large, for my big head and so I can pull it down to cover my neck, ears, eyes etc. 2.0 oz(?)

zip-t around 8 oz used as an insulating garment. It's synthetic and has silver thread running through it. It does keep the stink down between washes. I got this free when our shop let some soldiers use our shoot house for pre-Iraq training. Go Army.

The gloves are some synthetic stuff I used as a police officer. I think they are 2-3 ounces.

The rest of my clothes are a spare pair of Wal-Mart black 100% polyester socks. They are light, easy to clean, low priced and don't give me blisters. All "Hiking socks" give me hot spots that will lead to blisters.

These socks are polyester version of cotton tube socks. Nothing special. Not thin, not thick. I wear them and size my shoes to be one full size too big. That gives my toes room to breath and move. I just progressively tighten the laces so the bottom has no tension on it and the top has enough to keep the shoe on. The only difference is when I go down long steep hills. I tighten the laces up a bit more so my foot doesn't slide down and press the toe onto the end of the shoe.

I don't normally use any insulated bottoms or extra underwear. I wear a pair of socks, Railrider supplex nylon pants, a polyester shirt, a sun hat, and exofficio boxers. They dry overnight after laundry in the p.m. I also use a pair of polyester running shorts to sleep in and to hike in if it is cloudy and/or rainy. Nope I don't get cold. I've hiked in 30 degree weather in shorts and my rain jacket. As long as I'm moving it's not cold. If it's so cold that I can't hike comfortably it's time to put up the shelter and climb in a sleeping bag.

Other than wearing shorts in rainy conditions I also limit any breaks. I usually take a 10 minute break every hour or two. When it is cold and rainy I just walk more and eat on the move.

Hambo
01-20-2017, 03:46 PM
JustOneGun, thanks for all the pics and gear descriptions. I prefer sleeping under a tarp, but I always used a full mummy bag even in summer. I'm probably even worse about that now that I live in FL.

Peally
01-20-2017, 04:36 PM
You're pretty hard into the ultralight spectrum. Not a bad thing, it's good content, I just prefer my canister stove for dinner :D

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 04:39 PM
That's all the big stuff. I haven't actually added it all up in a few years. It should be around 7 pounds. I do take 4-6 oz of little stuff. Pinch lights for camp and emergency night hiking. Vitamin I, bandaids, bandana, lotion on long hikes for the feet toothbrush, chapstick and of course TP. Smart phone and an extra battery might start taking me over 7 pounds. If I know I'm going to night hike then I take a 3 oz headlamp, etc.

Since I stopped using hiking poles, just didn't need them anymore, I have slowed down on my tarp use. I need to buy a few carbon fiber poles to replace the hiking poles but might buy the gatewood cape from sixmoonsdesign.com instead. It has full tent coverage at a fraction of the weight. I think it's about 16 oz for the rain gear/tent/carbon pole and micro line locs with 1.1mm line. Add a sea to summit bug net and you've got it all for at or under 20oz.

In my opinion the only real way to get under 7-8 pounds consistently for three season hiking it to dump the tent and/or use different materials. A tarp will save almost a pound over a tent. And Cuben fiber is outrageously light. It isn't as durable. Many people buy their weight savings by getting a cuben fiber tarp tent, cubin fiber jacket, pants, ect. That's great if you are wealthy but most people who thru hike the PCT throw much of that equipment away after 5 months of use. It has holes and is coming apart at that point. Not exactly disposable but close.

1.1 per square yard is an incredibly strong ripstop fabric. 1.1 silicon coated nylon ripstop (actually it weighs 1.3 oz per square yard) is a water proof version of the same. It will last for years with reasonable care. I want to go light but am also cheap. So that's what I use.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 04:58 PM
JustOneGun, thanks for all the pics and gear descriptions. I prefer sleeping under a tarp, but I always used a full mummy bag even in summer. I'm probably even worse about that now that I live in FL.

That is another reason for the silk liner. In SoCal and here in Arizona it is nice to just sleep under the sheet of the silk liner.

JustOneGun
01-20-2017, 05:31 PM
You're pretty hard into the ultralight spectrum. Not a bad thing, it's good content, I just prefer my canister stove for dinner :D

Just like going beyond one's limits in shooting speed then dialing it back, I did the same in weight. I was hiking with a rain ponch/5x7 tarp with a silnylon bivy. Now going 7 or even 8 pounds is heavy but it feels like a luxury. Heck, I have a blow up pillow. The best piece of gear ever invented.

I am always tempted to buy one of the new tank stove kits. There are some nice light all in one kits. But I am a hiker and not a camper. I wake up, break camp and eat while walking or on my hourly breaks. I stop for dinner an hour before I'm done hiking. Often this is done in an established camp if available. This would be the only time I would ever cook. Then I hike to my camp spot, set up camp and climb in the tent. After 20+ miles it is usually hiker midnight by 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. LOL. Thy only time I broke this routine was on the PCT. I camped with others every night except twice. It's a regular social scene on the long trails. Lots of campfires on that trail.

GNiner
01-21-2017, 11:25 AM
I am always tempted to buy one of the new tank stove kits. There are some nice light all in one kits. But I am a hiker and not a camper. I wake up, break camp and eat while walking or on my hourly breaks.

I would be interested to hear what you are eating to sustain the 20 mile efforts over multiple days without a stove. I would love to get rid of my stove/canisters, but I'm not sure what light weight food would sustain me without a stove for at least boiling water.

JustOneGun
01-21-2017, 02:50 PM
I would be interested to hear what you are eating to sustain the 20 mile efforts over multiple days without a stove. I would love to get rid of my stove/canisters, but I'm not sure what light weight food would sustain me without a stove for at least boiling water.

First of all the weight over time works out the same if you use a cook and a no cook menu. Many people do use a stove everyday. I don't like the hassle of finding fuel, etc on long trips. The weight saving magic happens on a long trek when you use cook food as no cook. But in time the cook and no cook menus start to look almost the same.

I don't have any kind of dietary problems such as diabetes or similar. Meaning for a long trip I eat anything and everything I can to make calories. While I am no a believer in calories in and calories out, at some point that's what it is.

For treks I eat 4,000 calories a day for the first 3-4 days. That's when my hunger begins to kick in. That usually equates to about 1.5 pounds of food a day. The last two weeks of my 745 mile trek I was trying to get 6,000+ calories a day and was still losing a bit of weight. 6,000 calories a day is a lot of food. People who have hiked the entire trail say it goes up from there. I don't remember the exact weight but it was in the ball park of 2.25-2.75 pounds a day. If it's balanced I don't want to carry it. Pure carbs at a minimum of 150 calories an oz(that's peanut m&m's or snickers. Fat like nuts/seeds, peanut butter, olive oil.

My typical menu: Warning hiking a weekend can be filled with Mountain house hiker food that is fairly good tasting. Cramming 6,000 plus calories in is like a powerlifter bulking up. Think of a pregnant female who is having cravings. It's that bad. PBJ can easy become a PB and mayo.

Wake up at dawn, pop tarts and some nuts/seeds in the tent/tarp.
Walk an hour or until it's warmer, stop for breakfast. Tortilla(2) with honey and peanut butter. The more calories you need the more PB.
Take hourly breaks where I eat a family size snickers/milky way and salt (usually fritos or nuts/seeds). I've seen vegans at the beginning switch to fritos and snickers.
Lunch (which is sometimes the cook or just eat it cold) Soak ramen. Eat tortilla with honey and peanut butter. Add coconut or olive oil to the ramen and eat. In the end adding stuff is a waste of motion. In the southern sierra I just stuck two table spoons of olive oil in my mouth before eating the ramen. Same with honey and peanut butter. Dont' put it on the tortilla. Just eat it all of the spoon or put the honey bear in your mouth and squeeze.
Continue to eat every hour, junk food.
Dinner is about an hour before I stop hiking and camp. It sometimes looks exactly like lunch but I might only cook one of them if I take a stove. Most people who use a stove on trek only boil water. Some with dietary issues are more elaborate. Some of them dry meals and hydrate them by boiling water.

You can eat ramen cold. It just tastes like crap. If you look at a ramen's calories when mixed with two table spoons of olive oil and a packet of tuna you can see how a lot of calories are packed into a small weight.

Dinner is timed to get a few miles away from the cooking/eating spot. That's because the cooking and food attracts critters big and small. Forget the bears(except grizzly country you should worry about them) it's the darn marmots, squirrels and mice that will chew through anything to get the food.

Snack in tent before bed.

Some variation of this diet is what everyone eventually migrates to. Some people have elaborate cooked meals that look and smell great. Eventually they also eat snicker/m&m's and fritos for snacks.

Hambo
01-21-2017, 06:01 PM
A fairly light stove option is the Esbit. I've never actually used mine backpacking, but I used the shit out of it after a hurricane. One tab boils water or heats food.

blues
01-21-2017, 06:05 PM
A fairly light stove option is the Esbit. I've never actually used mine backpacking, but I used the shit out of it after a hurricane. One tab boils water or heats food.

I've used it on the trail. I'd carry it in years past when I didn't feel like lugging my Optimus 8R.

I think my Esbit dates back to 1975.

How's that for a walk down memory lane?

JustOneGun
01-21-2017, 07:10 PM

I have a whole box of esbit tabs. I hate the american tabs. Too much soot. The esbits are okay. I got rid of the heavy deck of cards stove and just use an alcohol stove except instead of holes at the top just cut and bend sections of the top lip down. I make it look like an english castle turret. Works great. One of the great things about esbit is they perform a bit better than alcohol at high altitude and you can blow them out.