PDA

View Full Version : when to look at the sites..

sm0kyjoe
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
During my live fire practice, this weekend, I had alot of trouble getting the front site to settle down, on the draw. When I would reach full extension the site would bobble around alot. So this evening I decided to see what i could do to fix the problem, during dry fire time.
When beginning my draw stroke im hard focused on the target i intend to shoot. Normally I adjust my focus to the front site as it comes to the target area. What tends to happen is i stroke through my intended "index" and im waiting on the site to settle out. This evening, in dry fire, I tried switching to a soft target focus as the front site moves into my site plane. Leaving the site in a soft focus also. The site seemed to just stop were they should. Feels faster, feels smoother.
Figured Id check with the advanced level shooters here to see how this correlates to what they are seeing.

Failure2Stop
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I recommend aligning your sights as quickly as possible during the "press", with hardness of focus directly related to distance and target size balanced against your skill level.

MDS
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I recommend aligning your sights as quickly as possible during the "press", with hardness of focus directly related to distance and target size balanced against your skill level.

Fascinating, this is the first time I've heard that the "right" focus might depend on skill level. Could you elaborate?

Failure2Stop
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Fascinating, this is the first time I've heard that the "right" focus might depend on skill level. Could you elaborate?

For me it came after fully appreciating acceptable sight deviation depending on distance and target size.
Compare a FAST run to a triple nickel.
You will be using different acceptable sight deviation at all three parts of the actual shooting (3x5 card, 8" circle, and upper torso) if going for maximum speed. Let me be clear, I do not run a sub 5 FAST or Triple Nickel, so my opinon on the matter may not be in line with those that do, but I know what I am doing when I have a good run as opposed to poor/slow runs.

sm0kyjoe
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
To clarify my question. Its not relly a question of site focus, as that would be depent on the target. But more so on when in the press out, to start tracking the sites. Let's say for the f.a.s.t. test, at full extension ready to break the shot I'm going to be at a hard focus. Should I shift my focus from target to sites as soon as they come into my feild of view. Or wait for them to come it to the 3x5. For me if I wait I'm blowing through and them forced to settle the sites. If I shift my focus early everything just lines right up.
Now also on the 8" from the reload would be a softer focus for me. Its works the same way though. If I shift my focus and start tracking the sites earlier, at full extension I'm stop lined up. So simpler my eyes during press out are moving from target to sites as they come it to the feild of vision. Then following the sites the the target (soft focus). Hard focus as I reach full extension. Tracking for the 2 shots on the 3x5. Then shifting to a soft focus on the magwell. As the mag clicks, I shift focus to the 8" then as the sites come into my site plane. I'm more aware of the sites then the target. Finaly a softer focus then the 3x5 but still on the sites. That's how it works for me when I pay attention atleast. Haha. When I'm just thinking go fast. And not looking for what I'm doing. Things get really fumbly.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Joseph B.
12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
F2S, pretty well nailed it on the aspect of getting focus on the sights during the press out. The alignment of the sights should be automatic if gripping the pistol correctly (i.e. with proper grip as you press out the front sight should be aligned in the rear notch). You should be able to pick up the sights about mid press out and then follow it to the target.

The acceptable tolerances of accuracy are determined by the distance and size of the target. The applied focus of the sights does not have to be as sharp and or perfect at closer ranges, as it will need to be at longer ranges. 7 yards and in I am really just focusing on looking through my rear notch and focusing on the front sight. Depending on the speed I am shooting and the size of the target I am trying to hit, will decide how hard I drive the sights. 15 yards and out I am focusing more on getting good alignment of the sights and clear focus on the front sight, etc.

MDS
12-06-2011, 01:17 PM
For me it came after fully appreciating acceptable sight deviation depending on distance and target size.

Ah, so it's related to "see what you need to see?" I'd always thought folks were talking about sight alignment and picture when they said that, it makes sense that the concept would apply to sight focus, too.

Thanks!

sm0kyjoe
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
You should be able to pick up the sights about mid press out and then follow it to the target.

That's exactly what I was looking to hear. I found myself waiting for press out and relying on my grip and index to put the sites were they needed to be. while that works, If i track the sites through press out, i get a natural braking effect. Stopping the sites from bobbling around.

Thanks for the help guys.

gringop
12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Arrg! It's SIGHTS!!!

When I see "sites" instead of "sights" on this site, I get too excited. Please, for the love of all that's holy, set your sights on writing the right cite when you mean sights on this site.

Gringop