PDA

View Full Version : Guns in School for DeVos

Glenn E. Meyer
01-18-2017, 02:29 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/betsy-devos-guns-schools_us_587ec02de4b01cdc64c86fce?46dwvrhncq0iai qkt9

It would be a pleasant surprise if some of these sort of folk could have give a coherent and forceful answer for the role of guns in self-defense esp. at schools. DeVos goes deer in the headlights and yammers about bears in Wyoming. She folds under the tragedy of gun violence mantra by the Sen. from CT.

A better answer would be that a competent armed teacher or civilian could have stopped Sandy Hook. A teacher with a gun could have gotten her kids in the rest room or closet and then shot the killer as he entered. Instead they die jammed in by toilets or supplies.

In general, I am afraid the conservative rich classes in general don't get the gun self-defense paradigm. Maybe Trump does as he does claim to carry. But I wouldn't trust the conservative rich bubble that much more than the liberal rich bubble.

As a sidebar, that's why the SCOTUS cannot be trusted on new cases coming to them like Peruta - even if there is one conservative appointment. Unless they are explicit in understanding the issue, the new Justice might be a Fudd, Metcalf, Zumbo kind of gun person.

LittleLebowski
01-18-2017, 02:32 PM
I'm still grinning over Pruitt and Trump reaffirming his support for the 2A. Nope, too happy to bitch :D

blues
01-18-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm still grinning over Pruitt and Trump reaffirming his support for the 2A. Nope, too happy to bitch :D

Still, you gotta admit that was a particularly weak response from her. It sounded like a gag from SNL.

Zincwarrior
01-18-2017, 02:44 PM
A better answer would be that a competent armed teacher or civilian could have stopped Sandy Hook. A teacher with a gun could have gotten her kids in the rest room or closet and then shot the killer as he entered. Instead they die jammed in by toilets or supplies.

The difficulty I have is that I have found far too many people to not be competent.

LittleLebowski
01-18-2017, 02:56 PM
Still, you gotta admit that was a particularly weak response from her. It sounded like a gag from SNL.

Sure, but it doesn't bother me. I imagine many of us would have a gaffe or two when undergoing such public questioning from hostile, passive aggressive Dems. Hell, I believe there will probably be more public outcry over this than over that idiot who ran OPM and contributed to the Chinese having my SF-86. Her focus up until she left, was discrimination against LBGT employees. Bear in mind, she knew for about a year that the Chinese had hacked OPM hard.

Totem Polar
01-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Her reply bothers me. It's pretty hard to support DeVos based on anything other than ideology, since her education resume sucks. I do not like it when people I disagree with do that; hard for me to see DeVos and her reply as anything other than sub optimal. There's just too much for opposition to pick away at. It's like throwing a box of 124gr gold dots to a barricaded opponent in an extended fire fight using G19s.

Trump, and Donald Jr., and their proclivities towards CCW and long-range sharpshooting is a different matter. I still haven't run out of champagne on that one yet. We will see.

blues
01-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Hell, I believe there will probably be more public outcry over this than over that idiot who ran OPM and contributed to the Chinese having my SF-86. Her focus up until she left, was discrimination against LBGT employees. Bear in mind, she knew for about a year that the Chinese had hacked OPM hard.

Tell me about it. And the only thing the worthless monitoring service that received the contract from OPM ever comes up with is an alert every few months reporting that yet another individual living in the area is a sex offender.

I'd say "fuck me!" but they'd probably add me to the rolls. :rolleyes: