PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate grip-strength trainers...

Sal Picante
01-18-2017, 01:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RdSSQeqU0

(Also - this guys youtube channel is hell-good if you dig music...)

Gray222
01-18-2017, 06:27 PM
...so all this talk about grip strength is total clickbait?

Tumbling...goes my world...lost in the dark....

Rich@CCC
01-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Not at all.

Grip strength is key in a lot of activities like shooting or playing guitar. He is simply pointing out that focusing on the phalanges themselves really does not help with grip strength and can be detrimental to your tendons. Instead work on your forearm and wrist strength along with shoulders, back and core. All these work toward grip strength.

Ask anyone who is serious about power lifting how important core strength and balance is to a heavy squat or dead lift. The strongest quads in the world need everything else to work along side or you get hurt bad real quick.

I may be out of date on training techniques, I haven't been a serious free weight guy in quite a few years. When I was lifting, I spent as much, if not more time doing lighter, high rep sets of core work like good mornings and basic arm exercises on an Indo Board or balance ball than I did on a hack or leg press to work up to heavy squats and such. Though my idea of heavy and some of you guys are probably very far apart, I ain't exactly a big guy.

Tabasco
01-18-2017, 10:29 PM
When I was learning to play bass, I was taught to use the ring and pinky as one finger, unless you need to play something complex which requires all four fingers.

Paul Sharp
01-18-2017, 10:33 PM
why I hate grip trainers...)

I thought it was because you're a cry baby.

Rich@CCC
01-19-2017, 12:06 AM
When I was learning to play bass, I was taught to use the ring and pinky as one finger, unless you need to play something complex which requires all four fingers.

I got small hands, I need my pinky to run a pentatonic scale.

Lex Luthier
01-19-2017, 01:08 AM

The ring and pinky fingers share a tendon to contract them. You can do bad stuff to yourself quickly if you try and do twice as much with that tendon.
(This is a public service message from a pro bass and guitar builder.)

Mr. Goodtimes
01-19-2017, 08:42 AM
If you want good grip strength, deadlift, squat, KB swing, bench press, oh press, pull up... you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sal Picante
01-19-2017, 12:11 PM
I keep seeing guys abuse Crush grippers without realizing that they gotta hit the gym to really make those gains using a different method...

The next question is always, invariably, "Do you know how to treat tendonosis/tendonitits?"

Ok...

cheshire_cat
01-19-2017, 01:21 PM
I am treating the CoC grippers as an accessory to my regular workout program. Yes, a lot of guys go crazy and overtrain them. I am only using them once a week, but 3 to 4 days later I do pull ups, hammer curls, etc.

Paul Sharp
01-19-2017, 02:28 PM
I keep seeing guys abuse Crush grippers without realizing that they gotta hit the gym to really make those gains using a different method...

The next question is always, invariably, "Do you know how to treat tendonosis/tendonitits?"

Ok...

The major issue I see with grip training is folks want to go too far too fast. Consistent adaptation over time is what we're looking for but most folks stop listening when you tell them time can mean years, not days, weeks or even months.

Sal Picante
01-19-2017, 03:10 PM
The major issue I see with grip training is folks want to go too far too fast. Consistent adaptation over time is what we're looking for but most folks stop listening when you tell them time can mean years, not days, weeks or even months.

If you remove "grip training", you'll see that we're truly a culture of immediate and instant gratification... Mastery takes time. Grip takes time.

If I haven't said it enough in the past: It is ok to be new at something.

JAD
01-19-2017, 04:49 PM
I got small hands, I need my pinky to run a pentatonic scale.

Sames. And https://youtu.be/mwAYUUJ28UU