PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Instructors in Dallas Area

TheDLoon
01-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Hello Everyone! This is my first post and I must say that I have learned so much from reading this forum. I would like to especially thank all of the LEOs and Military members on here for their service and insight.

I am a 23 year old college student in the Dallas area. I have been shooting pistols for around 8 years and got my CHL about 2 years ago. I have taken a few private lessons before but I would like to take a formal class to become a more proficient defensive pistol shooter. I am looking for recommendations for instructors in the Dallas area.

Thank you in advance!

Wayne Dobbs
01-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Come and see Dagga Boy and I...

Kevin B.
01-15-2017, 07:30 PM
HiTS is highly recommended. Wayne and Darryl put on a great course.

Chance
01-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Daryll and Wayne at HiTS put on a top-notch class. If you're up for a bit of a drive, Paul Howe is in Nacogdoches, and he might be the best a civilian can get.

Al T.
01-15-2017, 08:00 PM
I am looking for recommendations for instructors in the Dallas area.

Dude. Really? HITS until they run you off.

SouthNarc
01-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Darryl and Wayne.

TheDLoon
01-15-2017, 08:08 PM
I'll definitely check out HiTS. Thanks to everyone for taking a break from watching the Cowboys game to respond!

SeriousStudent
01-15-2017, 08:15 PM
I would also give HiTS a very strong recommendation. They have the ability to properly coach a new shooter to make them very safe, yet quickly boost their skills.

And said that about beginners, I have watched them work with some truly talented and experienced folks, and help them with key insights and observations to make them even better.

Their safety brief on the Four Rules and how they works is one of those things that everyone should have.

Dagga Boy
01-15-2017, 09:00 PM
I ll have a schedule and sign-ups up this week. Expect a Basic Pistol class (one day) Feb. 5 and a First Responder May 20-21.

Tom Givens
01-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Another vote for Wayne and Darryl. Top notch training, grounded in real life.

Cecil Burch
01-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Ditto on what everyone is saying about Darryl and Wayne. Jump on their next class no matter what.

Paladin
01-15-2017, 11:50 PM
I'm just a regular guy and I would strongly recommend HITS not only are they great instructors they are both really good people. I was a little concerned before the class that I might be in over my head but they both made me feel welcome and gave me some solid skills and things to work on after the class to help my continued growth. DB is such a good guy he has allowed me to call him on occasion to seek advice about guns and gear and I consider him a friend all because of one class.
Rick

Paul Sharp
01-16-2017, 12:43 AM
Another vote for HiTS.

Dr. No
01-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Not only will Wayne and Darryl make you shoot better, but you instantly will become a better dresser and the opposite sex will flag you down at stop lights to obtain your phone number. #fact

SeriousStudent
01-16-2017, 08:18 PM
You will also develop even more sophisticated tastes in regard to automobiles, BBQ, hamburgers and fine handguns. #fact2

RJ
01-16-2017, 08:49 PM
I ll have a schedule and sign-ups up this week. Expect a Basic Pistol class (one day) Feb. 5 and a First Responder May 20-21.

May 20-21...hmmmm...hmmmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
01-16-2017, 09:48 PM
May 20-21...hmmmm...hmmmmm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dooo eeeetttt!

May is a good time to be here. Comfy patio weather, and the spring rains have past.

RJ
01-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Dooo eeeetttt!

May is a good time to be here. Comfy patio weather, and the spring rains have past.

That date might line up with our travel plans. We need to get the cottage sold first, but I could see May in Texas. We have a lot of things we missed last year, Hill Country, Waco, and we need another stop at Black's in Lockhart. :cool:

Also: my brother told me there was this hardware store in Dallas (?) that was famous for having two rakes and 5,000 guns - ring a bell?

SeriousStudent
01-17-2017, 07:49 PM
That date might line up with our travel plans. We need to get the cottage sold first, but I could see May in Texas. We have a lot of things we missed last year, Hill Country, Waco, and we need another stop at Black's in Lockhart. :cool:

Also: my brother told me there was this hardware store in Dallas (?) that was famous for having two rakes and 5,000 guns - ring a bell?

Sounds like Ray's in Dallas. But I am not sure what they have done with the rakes.

And if you do stop in Lockhart (queue heavenly choir music) you might want to also sample Smitty's for the sausage and Kreuz's for the brisket.

Chance
01-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Not only will Wayne and Darryl make you shoot better, but you instantly will become a better dresser and the opposite sex will flag you down at stop lights to obtain your phone number. #fact

I must have missed that portion of the course, because I'm still not sure if Darryl wears short pants or long shorts. He's a bad influence (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17464-HiTS-Revolver-Round-Up-Casualty) besides.

Dr. No
01-17-2017, 08:29 PM
I must have missed that portion of the course, because I'm still not sure if Darryl wears short pants or long shorts. He's a bad influence (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17464-HiTS-Revolver-Round-Up-Casualty) besides.

It's more of a "do as I say, not as I do" thing ...

GJM
01-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Practically speaking, there is only an inch or two difference between his pants and shorts.

TheDLoon
01-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Any update on this? Looking to sign up for First Responder!

SeriousStudent
01-22-2017, 10:21 PM

Just curious about the February 5th class date. That's Superbowl Sunday.

I am betting a large number of folks were not planning on driving in from Atlanta or New England.

JAD
01-22-2017, 10:29 PM
On the other hand, most natives' schedules will be clear.

TXBK
01-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Training in Dallas? HiTS is the best.

They are the best training that I have experienced (pistol/shotgun), period.

The range they use is also top notch. I hope to see you and them again this year.

SeriousStudent
01-22-2017, 11:44 PM
On the other hand, most natives' schedules will be clear.

Yup, I'm planning on being there on Feb 5th, if work allows. I have several new wheelguns that need to be shaken out.

rojocorsa
02-04-2017, 04:12 AM
I wish I had known and could afford the 5 Feb class. Sigh.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
02-04-2017, 07:28 AM
I wish I had known and could afford the 5 Feb class. Sigh.

Rojo the 5 Feb class was postponed, last I heard *possibly* rescheduled for 25 Feb, DB or Wayne will need to confirm this.

Jackdog
02-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Rojo, I'll be hosting Spencer Keepers in April for his AIWB skills and Essential Handgun Skills classes

SeriousStudent
02-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Spencer is awesome as well!

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
02-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Rojo, I'll be hosting Spencer Keepers in April for his AIWB skills and Essential Handgun Skills classes

Guy did I miss your announcement for this?

Asking as Moses's tried to have him @ BRGC late last yr but couldn't fill it, sound familiar?

Jackdog
02-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Yes. I posted the announcement on 01/24/17.

Yeah. Filling classes can be tough. Hope you sign up.