PDA

View Full Version : Group of hunters attacked on west Texas border.

TheNewbie
01-12-2017, 10:37 AM
It will be interesting to know the outcome of this. I go to the region every year for hiking.

https://www.nrahlf.org/articles/2017/1/11/guide-and-hunter-attacked-shot-near-mexican-border/#.WHd-D-SdqQh.facebook

SeriousStudent
01-13-2017, 12:12 AM
I'm not surprised at all. I grew up out there, and crime of that type is often under-reported.

There are a lot of Larue 7.62 carbines in truck out there now.

HCM
01-13-2017, 12:29 AM
I'm not surprised either.

Two legged animals are always my number one concern in remote areas.

TheNewbie
01-13-2017, 01:41 AM
I know the cousin of the guide who was shot. It's amazing how many little ranches are out there .

That part of Texas is a place I love. Wish Mexico was safer.

bravo7
01-13-2017, 07:20 AM
This story is not accurate. There were no illegals involved. They need to retract that whole story.......but I guess it's better for the Go fund Me page if they keep pushing this false narrative. Irresponsible reporting and irresponsible gun ownership.

peterb
01-13-2017, 07:55 AM
This story is not accurate. There were no illegals involved. They need to retract that whole story.......but I guess it's better for the Go fund Me page if they keep pushing this false narrative. Irresponsible reporting and irresponsible gun ownership.

The story posted does not state that illegals were involved, and there is a quote from the sheriff's office saying there is "no evidence of cross-border violence".

If you have another source I'm sure folks here would be interested.

bravo7
01-13-2017, 09:31 AM
The story posted does not state that illegals were involved, and there is a quote from the sheriff's office saying there is "no evidence of cross-border violence".

If you have another source I'm sure folks here would be interested.

The entire article insinuates illegals. Just read the comment below by Shnebeger and let it marinate.

Malamute
01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
And youre saying there isn't violence along the border related to human and drug smuggling? Just curious. It may not be directly related to the incident, but even that it may be related, or even mentioned that its a problem elsewhere seemed to bother you.

bravo7
01-13-2017, 10:44 AM
My problem is the lack of integrity with the story. I deal with the border every day....it's my job. Read this, specifically the second paragraph on the right.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/3b018e99c4390dbd2b8099f0210365ff.jpg

Malamute
01-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Fair enough.

I have no direct border experience, though it seems that Az has had problems with ranchers and others in border areas.

If you have more info or input, Id be glad to see it. Seriously.

TheNewbie
01-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Yes if what I posted is fake news then I want to know. I'll be curious what DPS has to say.

Totem Polar
01-13-2017, 01:29 PM
I'd be interested in any input that puts the truth of the matter in focus as well.

TheNewbie
01-13-2017, 01:34 PM
There have been murders in big bend before due to cross boarder violence. In fact the Presidio County sheriff in the early 90s was sentenced to Fed time for trafficking cocaine. This area is remote even by west Texas standards.

Cypher
01-13-2017, 01:42 PM
I wonder if it was an accidental shooting and the "attack" story was fabricated to cover it up

blues
01-13-2017, 01:47 PM
I wonder if it was an accidental shooting and the "attack" story was fabricated to cover it up

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/11/06/images/nocountry.jpg

"That's yet to be determined. It ain't no country for old men."

TheNewbie
01-13-2017, 02:00 PM
It would seem odd that they both got shot in an accidental shooting. It could happen , but I would think that was more plausible if only one had been shot. Who knows though?

Terrell county SO (No Country for Old Men) issued kimber 1911s a few years back. I would have asked to carry a colt. :p

Malamute
01-13-2017, 02:13 PM
Yes if what I posted is fake news then I want to know. I'll be curious what DPS has to say.

I don't think it was a fake news piece, I looked up the site that the newspaper was from, other than the google info when it showed up saying that the site may be hacked, once on the site it seems pretty squared away so far as I can tell (Mr Oblivious).

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=bigbendnow

TheNewbie
01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Anything could turn out to be true. There is a reason they closed the La Linda border crossing over in Brewster.

Can you upload pics here from a phone or do you need to find an image hosting site? I'll post some of my pics down there if I can.

bravo7
01-14-2017, 09:50 AM

I'm unsure why you continue to throw around generalized statements about incidents that occurred in the 90's trying to perpetuate this false narrative as if there is any relevance to the present day situation. Believe what you want. Hiking in the park, which isn't even close to this area does not give you any credence to talk about the area the incident occurred. That's like me driving through Chicago and declaring myself an expert on gang activity. I realize stories of kidnapping, killing, and cartels are more provocative and sexy than friendly fire and irresponsible gun ownership, but that's what happened.

HCM
01-14-2017, 11:49 AM

I'm unsure why you continue to throw around generalized statements about incidents that occurred in the 90's trying to perpetuate this false narrative as if there is any relevance to the present day situation. Believe what you want. Hiking in the park, which isn't even close to this area does not give you any credence to talk about the area the incident occurred. That's like me driving through Chicago and declaring myself an expert on gang activity. I realize stories of kidnapping, killing, and cartels are more provocative and sexy than friendly fire and irresponsible gun ownership, but that's what happened.

Sounds like Alcohol involved ?

TheNewbie
01-14-2017, 11:54 AM

You could have at least told me how to upload pictures! Now I feel like CNN.

Do you have evidence of what you are insinuating occurred , actually occurred? If so I would like to know. You may be into drama and sexy stories, but I prefer the truth. So I am serious, if it's false I do want to know.

It's a neat area, from La Linda to presidio and all around. There has been cross border violence on rare occasion in the past. Like I said , I have an interest in the area and know the cousin of one person involved. Anything can turn out to be true, including idiots with guns shooting each other on accident.