PDA

View Full Version : Embracing progressive thought...

45dotACP
01-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Lol clickbait...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170111/689aa798caefc5b626999d92628ead7a.jpg

Updates/thoughts to follow tho.

Shawn Dodson
01-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I have a buddy who got one of these just a few months ago. There are a few tweaks needed to get it running perfectly. If you run into problems then PM me and I'll have him give you a hand. He knows all the tricks to get it running smoothly. He's very happy with his.

I have an RCBS Pro-2000 that I got about 14 years ago. At the time I was seriously considering the Hornady LnL progressive but I chose the RCBS as there were complaints back then about Hornady's primer feed assembly, which as I understand still requires some attention to get it to work reliably.

olstyn
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
I have one as well, and I'm also happy to answer questions/help troubleshoot if needed. I'm not an expert, but I've had to make a few tweaks on mine here and there. No machine is perfect, but the Hornady's pluses make it worthwhile to put up with its relatively minor minuses, in my opinion, at least.

chances R
01-11-2017, 10:06 PM
I load 9mm and 45ACP on mine. No regrets, would buy again. Highly recommend the RCBS lock-out die just for QA confidence.

shane45
01-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Sorry I went Blue on this one! :D

45dotACP
01-11-2017, 11:46 PM
So...some initial thoughts. The press didn't seem to come with a shellplate...so there's that to get...which is shipping now. I will also be getting a powder cop/lockout die before even loading a single round. Need to prevent a KB. More die bushings are inbound as I suspect I'll be swapping calibers to rifle at some point during my 3 gun journey or (less likely) if I go back to single stack and start loading up .45 again. My dad wants some .38 ammo, so there's definitely that. More bushings are also en route.

I need to get a case feeder as well...no point in going progressive if you're not getting a casefeeder. A bullet feeder will be finding its way towards me at some point as well, but probably not until I've got the press set up and done some loading for a bit.

The priming system does seem a bit retarded....nonetheless, I'm getting pretty giddy about being able to load a shit ton of rounds. Once I find a reliable source for powder I'm in the clear...I want to standardize on one powder.

My table is an old kitchen table, but I'm not sure if it's solid enough to hold up. May reinforce with a sheet of plywood.

olstyn
01-12-2017, 07:38 AM
The priming system does seem a bit retarded....

Keep it clean and well-lubricated with a dry film lube like Hornady's One Shot and it'll run smoothly. Gotta make sure you check it for stray grains of powder every so often, though; they'll gum up the works if they get in there.

Flintsky
01-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Embracing progressive thought...
You make her happy.
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p637/scottomega76/hillary-yikes_zpseg2oiwy5.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/scottomega76/media/hillary-yikes_zpseg2oiwy5.jpg.html)

Beghtol35
01-13-2017, 11:32 PM
I'm running a dillon 650 with a case feeder and love it. Just did a 1000 9mm for my father inlaw

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

5pins
01-14-2017, 11:21 AM
Here is a good video series on YouTube you may find helpful. The only issues I had was the lock’n load bushings coming out and the shell plate nut coming loose.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLByND7BRp-e0J7qDS_C9gIzfzEWzn10Hl

SPDGG
01-14-2017, 07:12 PM
fwiw: Lock/split washer under shellplate bolt - doesn't come loose every <100 odd rounds

5pins
01-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I put a small dab of low strength Loctite and mine. It doesn’t come loose and I can still remove it easily when I need to.

45dotACP
01-22-2017, 05:15 PM
The table I'm using currently is toast...Too wobbly, and I don't trust it. To whit...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170122/d6673ed52d6ccb7c974d4cdb9c05286a.jpg

This will be done within the week I suspect. Much more solid, and once I figure out what to use as a bench top it'll be even more so.

Until then, the press remains unassembled. Also need to pick up some Hornady one shot to degrease the powder measure and such.

Rick_ICT
01-22-2017, 09:21 PM
The table I'm using currently is toast...Too wobbly, and I don't trust it. To whit...

This will be done within the week I suspect. Much more solid, and once I figure out what to use as a bench top it'll be even more so.

Until then, the press remains unassembled. Also need to pick up some Hornady one shot to degrease the powder measure and such.

I don't know what the dimensions of your bench are, but if you have a Menard's in your area I have seen them selling some pretty nice pre-cut butcher-block style hardwood workbench tops. As I recall, they had a few different sizes available and they were something like 1 1/2" thick (and very sturdy/heavy). I believe they also occasionally (frequently?) run a pretty good sale price on one of them.

I was going to link to them on their website, but I couldn't find just the tops as opposed to all of their pre-fab assembly required complete benches. I hope they haven't discontinued them, it's probably been almost a year since I've looked at them. If you are interested, I would call to make sure they still sell them before driving any distance to look at them. The tops were on display alongside their pre-fab benches near their lumber department in the store near me. The quality definitely varied from sample to sample, so it would be worth looking over both sides of several of them before making a purchase.

Hope this helps. And I thoroughly enjoy my Lock 'n Load as well - the brass feeder is definitely worth it! You could also look into the Bully Adapter (http://www.bullyadapter.com/home-1.html) (watch the videos) for a bullet feeder as a more economical (and much quieter) alternative to the electric bullet feeder. I've replaced the tubes on my Lee Mutli-tube Feeder Turret with longer ones, so I can load up 250 9mm bullets per turret, and I have two turrets which I can swap out in about 30 seconds. 500 rounds per reloading session seems to be about the right compromise between my short attention span and desire to keep a steady supply of reloads available. Of course, I'm sure if I had the electric bullet feeder I wouldn't regret it, either.

Rick

mmc45414
01-26-2017, 08:11 AM
once I figure out what to use as a bench top it'll be even more so.

I like to use 2xWhatever lumber side by side:
Gives you some weight and if you ever want to change things one board or another is easy to swap.