PDA

View Full Version : DotW 10: 99 Drill

ToddG
12-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Please read the rules (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1837-Drill-of-the-Week) before participating in this thread.

Week 10: 99 Drill
results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 12-December-2011.

by JodyH
Range: 7-15yd
Target: varies (see below)
Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides
Rounds fired: 99

The last few weeks' drills have been leading up to this. It is one of my favorite -- and most humbling -- drills.

This was developed as a way to practice fundamentals (marksmanship at speed, draws, and reloads) with limited time and ammunition. Individual drills are shot multiple times to provide actual training benefit rather than just serving as a test of current skill level.

7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: draw and shoot three (10 times, total 30 rounds)
7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: draw, fire one, reload, fire two (10 times, total 30 rounds)
10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: draw and shoot three (10 times, total 30 rounds)
15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: draw and shoot three (3 times, total 9 rounds)

Either 4×6″ or 3×5″ cards can be used as targets. The 3×5 version is obviously significantly more difficult. All shots must be fired before the end of the PAR time; shots fired after the PAR count as misses.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, reduce the PAR for each string of fire by one second (so 1.5, 4.0, 2.5, and 4.0).

If you want to run the DotW from an open or duty/retention holster, please first shoot it from concealment and then report both scores.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (ready or concealed)
target used
score for each of the four strings of fire
total score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

C45P312
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Shot this at the end of a long day at work. Wasn't able to shoot the smaller target since I didn't feel like i performed on the larger one. Plus, I wanted to go home.

Start position: Concealed from untucked t-shirt with Glock 19 + X300 in Raven MD Holster

Target used: The bigger one lol 4x6 card

Score for each of the four strings of fire:

7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: 27 (after finding my rhythm, i got the hang out of it)
7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 24 (wasn't making par with fumbled reloads)
10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: 19 (pushing myself to the point of el snatcho)
15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 8 (dropped one with first set of rounds but told myself to slow down since i was way below par)

Total score: 78/99

ToddG
12-05-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm too lazy to take a photo of my target, but I saved it.

Start position: concealed; CCC Shaggy underneath untucked polo, CCC BMC mag pouch
target used: 3x5 box of Q-PT timed using the turning target system at NRA Range
score for each of the four strings of fire: 28, 29, 27, 7
total score: 91

Once again, Jody's drill proves frustrating. It's not enough to pull out a brilliant run once or twice. The 99 requires consistent performance: forty-eight draws, ten reloads, and ninety-nine low% shots. I can burn through the first magazine and tell myself this is it, this time I'm going to ace it without a miss... and then six rounds later I make a tiny mistake and:

http://shaunieowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2009-07-24-peanuts.jpg

The reload string is the worst. I have so much time it's stupid. But when I slow down, I still manage to shank one. Part of me wants to chop 0.5 from the PAR to make it more of a challenge but the other part of me says whoa dude, how about you shoot it clean once first?

I hate you, Jody. And after this week, hopefully everyone else will, too.

MechEng
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
This pretty much sums up any drill I do using 3x5 cards or 2 inch dots. Just when I think I’m on a roll, feeling all proud of myself, giddy with excitement over a nice clean target, AAAUGH!...... SON OF A B….!

http://shaunieowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/2009-07-24-peanuts.jpg

Stuffbreaker
12-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Start position: Concealed from untucked t-shirt - HK P30LS V3 - CBST at 3:30

Target used: 4x6

7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: 18 (Slapped the trigger like it owed me money -going too fast sub 2.2 secs. Tough string right out of the gate)
7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 27 (Felt like a break compared to first string - Lots of time to spare with solid reloads)
10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: 24 (Feelin good with three 2.75 clean)
15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 7 (Struggled to slow down in first string, but finished strong - 3.57 - 3.78 seconds. Lots of time on this one)

Total score: 76/99

Ga Shooter
12-07-2011, 10:52 AM
The range I go to will allow draw but on the reloads the lanes are so narrow and the "shooter's box" do shallow that I cannot preform reloads without the ejected mag ending up past the firing line. As a result retrieving my empty mags becomes a problem. How much should I reduce the Par time if I don't reload or should I just simulate reloads and call it good?

CCT125US
12-07-2011, 11:03 AM
GA Shooter....

Are you able to devise something to "catch " the mag? Maybe a box or trash can placed in front of you if space will allow. My indoor range has plywood that stops just shy of 1 1/2" from the floor, and my mags will sometimes find passage. I just use the brass broom to pull it back.

jetfire
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
The range I go to will allow draw but on the reloads the lanes are so narrow and the "shooter's box" do shallow that I cannot preform reloads without the ejected mag ending up past the firing line. As a result retrieving my empty mags becomes a problem. How much should I reduce the Par time if I don't reload or should I just simulate reloads and call it good?

I'd add a second to the par time and do a tac-load instead. But that's just me.

Ga Shooter
12-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd add a second to the par time and do a tac-load instead. But that's just me.

Perfect idea!!!!

Thanks

jthhapkido
12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, that sucked blocky nuts.

[Obligatory excuses] It is 26 degrees (F) out, it was dusk, and I have a 102 degree fever.[/obligatory excuses]
But hey, it was still better than sitting inside feeling like crap.

Situation: Gen4 G17 in Archangel AIWB, closed-front sweatshirt covering both holster and mag pouch
Target: 3x5 card
Scores per part: 21, 25, 20, 6
Total Score: 72
For each string, consistently put two on the card and one (not necessarily the last one--it was pretty random which one) about half an inch below the card. If the card had been a 4x5, I'd have had a much better score. [sigh]

Trigger control = sucks

That sequence with the reload (part II) really does give you a ton of time! Too bad I still couldn't keep them within 3" vertically. [sigh]

JFK
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
This is the first time that I did this drill and it is now my favorite. I see this as not only a drill but a real well rounded training regiment for a quick range session. I liked it so much I did it twice. The first was on a 4x6 the second on a 3x6. I know that 3x6 is non standard but all I had with me to draw a box was my ammo box.

Gear: M&P 9mm in C&D AIWB (pink, yes the color makes a difference) from concealment, pull over jacket.
Target: 1st 4x6 head box, 2nd 3x6 box
Score Run 1: -5 all under par
-4 all under par
-2 all hits, two over par
-1 all under par
Total Score: 87

Score Run 2: -9 all misses over par
-4 all under par
-5 all under par
-5 all under par
Total Score: 76

This drill has made it apparent that I am on the cusp of braking a speed / accuracy balance barrier. When I speed up I am dropping shots. When I get good hits I am a bit too slow.

ToddG
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Gents -- If you cannot break 90 with the 4x6, it's probably not time to try the 3x5 yet.

DocGKR
12-09-2011, 02:19 AM
I had never done the 99 Drill before and was curious how this would work out. Because of fading daylight on the outdoor range this evening, I had a very limited time to shoot and was only able to run the 99 Drill and nothing else.

Start position: G19 w/RMR concealed in Fricke Seraphim AIWB under unzipped soft shell jacket
Target used: 4x6 card

7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: 23
7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 26
10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: 27
15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 8

Total score: 84/99

After tallying my points, I dropped a 3x5 card on top of my target to see how I would have potentially scored using the smaller 3x5 scoring zone...not so good; it would have worked out as 17/22/20/7 for a pathetic virtual score of 66/99.

For me, the most difficult portion of the test was the first subset of 3 shots in 2.5 sec at 7 yds. The farther from the target I got, the more comfortable I became. I suspect I would have not dropped any shots on the 15 yd subset if darkness had not been encroaching. I'll definitely be adding this drill to my routine.

jetfire
12-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Once again I find myself getting my ass straight handed to me by the 99 Drill. This was my first practice session with the Gen4 Glock 21.

Start position: Comp-Tac paddle holster concealed under an IDPA vest.
Target: 4x6 card
String 1: 23
String 2: 29
String 3: 27
String 4: 8

Total Score: 87/99

On string 1 I just went bananas against the par time. I was getting three shots off in around 2ish seconds consistently, which would have been great if they'd been hits. I only had three clean reps on all of string one. String 2-4 I managed to settle down and shoot it much closer to my skill level, but damn.

Pennzoil
12-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Start position: concealed closed front shirt AIWB M&P FS, Shaggy, BMC
• 4x6 card
• String 1 - missed par 4x missed card 4x
String 2 - missed par 4x
String 3 - Missed card 2x
String 4 - Missed card 2x Rushed and didn't use my time appropriately

This has been my favorite drill since it first came out even though it kicks my butt everytime.

chris
12-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Start position: G19 Concelaed under T-shirt and jacket w\safariland m27 holster.

Target: 4x6
7 yards, 2.5sec PAR: 19
7 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 16
10 yards, 3.5sec PAR: 16
15 yards, 5.0sec PAR: 5

Total score: 53

Well, if this were golf I'd be very pleased. I found a comic strip of Calvin & Hobbes (that i couldn't upload for some reason?) that summed up this drill perfectly-- the jist of it was Calvin decides to remain ignorant to the world around him so that he can lead a life of bliss. The past few weeks i've been practicing my draw and reloads during dry fire and have been noticing a small but definite improvement in my range sessions and had been feeling quite blissful up until I gave this weeks DotW a try: my feeling of bliss vanished immediatley once I realized how long I still have to go before I come even close to reaching the level the majority of the members of this forum are curently at. I'll get there though, eventually I will get there!!

CCT125US
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
* Start position: AIWB Comp-Tac 2 o' clock (yeah I know...)
* target used: 3x5
* score for each of the four strings of fire: S1 28 -2 miss, S2 27 -1 miss -2 OT, S3 26 -1 miss -3 OT, S4 7 -2 miss
* total score: 88/99

HKP30 V3 Heinie S8Q

My challenge was starting with a good press out. If that was solid, the rest fell in place. As a side note this was really the third outing where I used an AIWB for live fire. Up until this session I have done maybe 100 draws to the 3x5 and 100 1R2 to the 3x5 and 8". It is certainly faster than my CBST at 3:30....

BaiHu
12-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I feel like some of these drills should have a difficulty rating. Kinda like Mickey Mouse holding his hand at a certain height to see if you're tall enough to 'enjoy the ride'. :D
That being said, it was dark and I had only 30 minutes to complete half the drill, b/c my range closes at 5pm.

OWB Comptac not concealed (I was prepared for this being hard)
HKP30 9mm V3
4X6 inch card

On the first string I missed 12 and never made par, so is that -24 for a score of 8?
On the second string, I made PAR for all but one (reload error), but I missed 12, so is that a 17?
That being said, I guess I scored a 25 out of the first 60 points and I ran out of light/time and I knew I did not need to challenge myself any further-I had my work cut out for me.
In the end, I'm just not ready for this drill and I need a LOT of 'customization' of this drill like longer PAR times and maybe a shorter distance until I can work up to just getting the first part of the drill down tight.

The most common word I hear about this drill is 'humbling' and that's spot on for me.

JodyH
12-10-2011, 11:05 AM
This drill still kicks my ass and I came up with it.
I designed it as a "Value Pack" practice session that would push me from a 5-6 sec. FAST down to a 4-5 sec. FAST.

Some alternatives that you might try depending on skill level are:

5-8-12 yard, 4x6, with the same par times
7-10-15 yards, same par times, upper half of an IPSC A zone (6" x 6") target.
7-10-15 yards, same par times, IDPA -0 (8" diameter) target.

The thought process behind each drills distance/par were:

The first string is all about accuracy at SPEED, emphasis on speed, no mercy, you screw up the draw or press out and it costs you a point.
The next string is about a solid draw and a solid reload, get them both right and you have plenty of time to make the hits.
String three is accuracy at speed again, but the scale is tipped to accuracy. The faster your draw the more time you have to make precision shots.
String four is pure accuracy, taking plenty of time you should still have .5 to a full second to spare.

Make this drill your own, but always push yourself.
If you're shooting in the 90's every time, ratchet up the difficulty.

If all else fails, borrow Todd's "JodyH voodoo doll" and stab it a few times, You'll feel better, I promise.
:p

ToddG
12-10-2011, 11:27 AM
If all else fails, borrow Todd's "JodyH voodoo doll" and stab it a few times, You'll feel better, I promise.

This. Something tells me that after this week, if enough people play with their JodyH voodoo dolls, Jody won't be having any more children again for a good while.

Thanks for explaining the thought process behind each string of fire, Jody. As I've said many times, this is one of the best "practice session plus test in-a-can" drills I've ever seen for demanding pistol shooting.

BaiHu
12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
JodyH,
Thanks for the response and thanks for the drill. I have no need for a voodoo doll unless its one of me that I can poke with pins until I can score a 90 on the 99 drill and get a consistent 6 second FAST! LOL!
Thanks for all that you guys do to get guys like me better by reaching for the stars :eek:

EmanP
12-11-2011, 12:03 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0xwCEJJys0M/TTYOg4Wh0gI/AAAAAAAAAuM/kArBL0vYvOM/s1600/homer-doh2.jpg

G17 Gen3, concealed, 3x5 card
Total 77/99

So I didn't use my available time very well. I made par every time with no problems at all, should have taken the time available but it was in the low 30's the other day.

NickDrak
12-11-2011, 03:52 AM
This is one tough drill! Even tougher when your are outside freezing your balls off.

Start position: Gen4 G17 concealed in a Blade-Tech Nano (AIWB) under a half-zip fleece.

Target: 4x6

String #1: 20
String #2: 25
String #3: 25
String #4: 7

Total score: 77/99

Prdator
12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
:p

Dude your not the only one that TLG has a Voodoo doll for.............................................

Stuffbreaker
12-11-2011, 11:55 AM
No voodoo doll here. Excellent drill, Jody. Its a very efficient use of 99 rounds and is going in my regular rotation.

Being a local range hero with high self-imposed standards, I too find my performance in the past few DotDubs a bit discouraging. Many of the shooters in these threads appear to be known instructors, high-level competitors, seasoned professionals, and/or genetic freaks (Travis Pastrana freaks, not the John Merrick type). This group is nothing like the folks I run into at public ranges, and its important to keep it all in perspective.

jetfire
12-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Took another whack at this last night using the Gen4 Glock 21. Same setup, used the 4x6 target. Shot a 92/99 this time, much happier with that score. First 30 shots are still the hardest for me.

Corey
12-12-2011, 12:45 AM
I hate you JodyH. Just when I was starting to think I didn't completely suck at pistol shooting this drill had to come along and destroy my illusions.

Start position: Concealed, hands at sides. M&P 9mm in strong side holster, open front vest for concealment.
Target 4x6 card (duh, I already knew I wasn't that good)
Scores: Stage 1: 12
Stage 2: 21
Stage 3: 17
Stage 4: 6
Total: 56 :(

Jody, your explanation of the drill is dead on with what I found when shooting it.
Stage 1 = I am slow. No getting around it, I have to learn to get the gun out faster and get faster on every part of putting together a good shot.
Stage 2 = I need more control. This stage I did the best on. I could hit the PAR time as long as I did not screw up my reload. The problem I had was I kept trying to shoot faster than I needed to and getting misses. I was finishing way too soon which is only good if it is a clean run.
Stage 3 = Learn my limits, and get faster. I learned the most from this stage. I started out trying to get all my shots off under PAR and ended up with a lot of misses. My last 4 reps I decided to forget about the PAR time and concentrate on getting three hits on the card. Got all three hits on each of the 4 runs, only one late shot each time for 67% score. The last shot was between 3.6 and 3.7 seconds on each of those last 4 reps. It would have helped my score some if I did that from the start. Is that being a gamer or knowing my limits?

Stage 4 = Slow down on precise shots. My three misses were on the first shot of each rep. Trying to rush and finishing with plenty of time doesn't help if you miss.

Great practice session that I am going to keep working on. I left the range with a crushed ego but a feeling of accomplishment at the same time.

Mr_White
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
In before the deadline!

Start position: concealed AIWB, closed-front shirt
Target used: 3x5
String 1 score: 26
String 2 score: 26
String 3 score: 25
String 4 score: 9
Total score: 86

This is the first time I've shot this drill. It's a great one. I'll be using this more. It's good for me because it requires consistency.

Ga Shooter
12-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Start position concealed with IDPA vest. Glock Gen 7 G19. Bladetech holster 4x6 target.
Per Caleb's suggestion par time on reload string set at 6 sec with tac reload due to range limitations.

String 1 13
String 2 18
String 3 11
String 4 2

Score 44.

Is there a prize for the lowest score?:o

Great drill. My 2 biggest problems are long range accuracy and I need to speed up. Quite a few "misses" by not going fast enough.

MDS
12-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Start position: concealed; Milt Sparks SSII under pearl snap shirt (oh, yeah!), CCC BMC mag pouch
target used: 3x5 box of Q-PT
score for each of the four strings of fire: 14, 11, 18, 3
total score: 46

I knew before I started that I should have used the larger target, but I had only the Q-PT. I plan to throw some 4x7 cards in my range bag so I can run this again once in a while.

ToddG
12-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Week 10 is closed.

Week 11 is now available (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2454-DotW-11-Bullseye-Three-Way).