PDA

View Full Version : Can we hope this is going to actually happen?

Grey
01-09-2017, 06:04 PM
http://soldiersystems.net/2017/01/09/asa-announces-reintroduction-of-hearing-protection-act-a-bill-to-remove-suppressors-from-the-nfa/

Could make missing out on the suppressor boat worth it if this comes to pass.

SeriousStudent
01-09-2017, 09:42 PM
I'd love to see it,. I have spent a stupid amount of money on Form 4's since October 2015.

Based on the previous gutless performance by McConnell, Boehner, Ryan, et al; I doubt it will come to pass. And it it does, I am sure Congress will find a way to make that check taxable income. Yeah, I'm Debbie Downer.

If it passes, I'll just go pick up my cans, and reinvest the stamp money in NFA items. If not, I'm ahead of the curve.

LOKNLOD
01-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Honestly if it passes, I'll be happy even if the rebate doesn't make it. A small sacrifice. (Of course I'm not one of the guys with $5k worth of can stamps, so maybe I've got a little less skin in the game)

45dotACP
01-09-2017, 10:37 PM
I doubt Illinois will even get their suppressor legislation off the ground tbh. Enough libs and Republicans are still really spineless on "silencers" thinking their eeeeevil and for assassins

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chance
01-09-2017, 11:15 PM
No way is that going to happen. But I said that a lot in 2016....

RoyGBiv
01-10-2017, 05:39 AM
I'll be in NYC for a few days just after inauguration.
Hopefully they can get this enacted by then.

:rolleyes:

Wondering Beard
01-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Just keep in mind that legislation that's easy to pass always contains good opportunities for graft. Writing a bill should always take this into account.

LittleLebowski
01-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Just keep in mind that legislation that's easy to pass always contains good opportunities for graft. Writing a bill should always take this into account.

I'll take that chance :D

LittleLebowski
01-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Sample letter to send to your representatives.

Senator _________,

I am contacting you to urge your support of H.R. 367, The Hearing Protection Act of 2017. This bill was just introduced so you may not have heard about it. The purpose of the bill is to make it easier for hunters and other firearm owners to purchase sound suppressors for their firearms.

Firearm sound suppressors are currently legal to possess in 42 states and legal for hunting in 40 states. Suppressors reduce the report of a firearm by approximately 20% so they are by no means "silencers" but they reduce the sound to a level that results in less damage to the shooter's hearing. Hearing loss is extremely common among gun owners and it is one of the most common service-connected disabilities among military veterans.

Why should gun owners suffer from substantial hearing loss when there is a commercially-available solution to the root cause? Current regulations add a $200 federal tax on top of the cost of the suppressor, making them unaffordable for many gun owners. Furthermore, current law requires a complicated registration process that takes upwards of 8 months and this works as a barrier to ownership for most gun owners.

I respectfully request that you take a look at this proposed bill and I'm sure you'll see the logic in supporting its passage with your vote when it reaches the Senate.

Thank you for your service to the state of _____________.

Kindly and respectfully,
Joe Schmo

alohadoug
01-10-2017, 09:21 AM
While a very positive step forward for most of the country, it won't help everyone. The bill doesn't (can't) replace state level prohibition on suppressors. Like Mass... :(:mad:

Willard
01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Email sent. Don't currently own a suppressor, but an XM177 variant with functional moderator would be nice if this pans out.

Robinson
01-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Sample letter to send to your representatives.

Cool -- sending messages to my Senators and Representative.

Malamute
01-10-2017, 11:18 AM
While a very positive step forward for most of the country, it won't help everyone. The bill doesn't (can't) replace state level prohibition on suppressors. Like Mass... :(:mad:

It could go like concealed carry. Once the trend starts, it picks up momentum, even in places that most would never believe was possible, like the majority of states? Or Illinois? Its harder for individual states to object once they end up in the distinct minority, and the "obvious" evility of it isn't so easy to throw out as a given.

voodoo_man
01-10-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm holding out sending in a few forms because of this.

alohadoug
01-10-2017, 12:55 PM
It could go like concealed carry. Once the trend starts, it picks up momentum, even in places that most would never believe was possible, like the majority of states? Or Illinois? Its harder for individual states to object once they end up in the distinct minority, and the "obvious" evility of it isn't so easy to throw out as a given.

Normally I'd agree with you. Unfortunately here in Mass guns are as evil as you can get. The State Supreme Judicial Court once said that "how the US Supreme Court rules on the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply in Mass." And the State legislature agreed with them.

Good luck to the rest of you. (and to me if I can convince the wife to move to NH.)