PDA

View Full Version : Time for a second dog?

Grey
01-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Thinking about possibly getting a second dog so I can bring my first dog back home.

My current dog is awesome but an emotional wreck if left by herself in the house or crated. She's a rescue and does fine if there is a second dog in the house with her. She's currently with my parents who have a fur baby to keep her company.

Curious if anyone has a suggestion for a second dog for my fam to consider. Want to go the puppy route since rescues are a bit of a crap shoot in terms of personality in my experience. Took a year for our dog to get used to us. Current dog is a female husky if that makes a difference.

Really just looking to talk it out with some like minded dog people.

Cypher
01-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Thinking about possibly getting a second dog so I can bring my first dog back home.

My current dog is awesome but an emotional wreck if left by herself in the house or crated. She's a rescue and does fine if there is a second dog in the house with her. She's currently with my parents who have a fur baby to keep her company.

Curious if anyone has a suggestion for a second dog for my fam to consider. Want to go the puppy route since rescues are a bit of a crap shoot in terms of personality in my experience. Took a year for our dog to get used to us. Current dog is a female husky if that makes a difference.

Really just looking to talk it out with some like minded dog people.

How about a young rescue?

Grey
01-05-2017, 03:43 PM
How about a young rescue?
I think I'm open to it, I just don't want to end up with a basket case of a dog. Not sure if that is a fair mindset going into it.

blues
01-05-2017, 03:47 PM
I think I'm open to it, I just don't want to end up with a basket case of a dog. Not sure if that is a fair mindset going into it.

Rescues can be awesome dogs but you're right that you have to evaluate them. Most (responsible) places will allow you some time to see if the dog is a good fit for your circumstances.

We've taken dogs home for a week or so before returning and selecting one that was a better fit. Other times you nail it on the first go.

Don't shy away from a rescue, imho.

pangloss
01-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Our collie that we got from a rescue in 2006 died last summer. She was a great dog. Now I am somewhat enamored with the idea of a Collie - German Shepherd mix. Some people call them shollies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Grey
01-05-2017, 03:54 PM
I'd love a German shepherd, another husky or a dog along those lines. Wife of course hates the hair.

Thanks for that tip Blue I'll see if there is a place that will let us trial a dog.

blues
01-05-2017, 03:58 PM
I'd love a German shepherd, another husky or a dog along those lines. Wife of course hates the hair.

Thanks for that tip Blue I'll see if there is a place that will let us trial a dog.

Keep us posted. I bet you'll find just the right dog.

Bratch
01-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Look at the breed rescues especially since you've narrowed it down to a couple breeds. I know the Malinois rescue places the dogs in foster homes that will give you very good details on personalities and habits. The mal people will tell you not good with other dogs, cats, kids, etc. Gives you a bit more info than a pound puppy.

Malamute
01-05-2017, 07:13 PM
I liked having two dogs when I have. The second pairing, my female tried to eat the male collie/Malamute cross when she first saw him, and he was the sweetest dog ever. They got it figured out and became best friends for years.

Keep thinking my current dog would like another one around, she does great with other dogs, but I'm not sure I'm up to it right now until the back and shoulder get better and I can deal with the physical aspects required.

Coyotesfan97
01-05-2017, 07:40 PM
If you can it's always better to introduce them in a neutral setting to avoid territorial aspects. I'm pretty sure our local Humane Society allows this at their facilities.

Grey
01-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Floated the idea to the wife. Looks like we are going to have a more serious conversation in the spring. Too much stuff going on right now. In the mean time it's time for me to read up one some breeds and find some possible shelters and breeders.

OlongJohnson
01-06-2017, 12:53 PM
You might also consider a cat. Some friends of mine with a husky mix rescue got a cat and the two critters got along very well. I always had both growing up, and they loved each other. Cats would actually wash the dog's forehead.

Peally
01-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Seems pretty straightforward to me, sounds like you either need to train the current dog to get over it (which isn't a quick fix, but if you possibly want a puppy it sounds like you might have the time/drive to do it) or it's giving you an excuse for another one ;)

JCS
01-06-2017, 01:28 PM
Adopting/fostering is the way to go. Me and my wife participated in a foster program for awhile. It's how we got our second dog. The dog did home visits and then lived with us for a trial period of one month. We liked her so much we kept her. Then we became hosts for dogs for awhile while they were going through the program. You can find dogs that get along with other animals, kids or dogs because most of the foster "parents" have other animals and/or children.

Grey
01-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Wife would love a car but we're both allergic.

Dog Guy
01-07-2017, 12:38 AM
A second dog can make life so much better for both you and the dog. Not only do they keep each other company while you're gone, but they can amuse each other when your home and just to buried to provide the attention they need. As mentioned, a proper fit is key. Two male dogs of the same age, size, and temperment can lead to ongoing conflict. Younger paired with older, male/female, bigger/smaller can help establish a natural pack order. Talking in generalities here but stuff to be aware of.