PDA

View Full Version : Shaking my head....

Lost River
01-04-2017, 05:42 PM
It is about 18-19 degrees here, with a biting 25 MPH wind that puts the wind chill into the negative digits.

It is supposed to be 15 degrees below zero tomorrow.

I spent a couple hours shoveling the driveway, and the snow is piled up pretty deep on the sides.

This was only an hour after I shoveled the drive, there is another 4"s of new snow on it.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/IMG_2414_zpss6rgw478.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/IMG_2414_zpss6rgw478.jpg.html)

I had to make a run into town and while the snow is not super deep, some of the snowdrifts across the roads (due to the wind), were tall enough that I was pushing them with the bumper of my land cruiser.

In other words, a fairly decent winter storm.

I come home, warm up coffee and sit down to type on something I am doing.

I hear a knock on the door, and go to answer.

It is my teenaged daughter.

She had walked over to the neighbors to visit her girl friend.

Pajama bottoms, t- shirt, No Jacket and NO SHOES!

Freaking barefoot!

WTF?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/IMG_2415_zpspagg7kal.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/IMG_2415_zpspagg7kal.jpg.html)

Malamute
01-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Face it, shes tougher than we are.

ubervic
01-04-2017, 06:04 PM
On the one hand, they're tougher. On the other, they're truly clueless.

Said the father of two teenage girls. :)

MistWolf
01-04-2017, 06:19 PM
At least you don't have to mow the lawn

Lost River
01-04-2017, 06:35 PM

Excellent point!

I find ZERO enjoyment from maintaining a yard.

MVS
01-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Excellent point!

Completely disagree. Love mowing, I catch up on my podcasts, hate the snow.

As to your daughter, I could see mine doing the same thing. She loves the cold, unlike me. At least she wasn't out driving the roads with nowhere to go.

Joe in PNG
01-04-2017, 06:42 PM
I love mowing as long I get to sit instead of walk.
If it's in an air conditioned cab, better still.

Lost River
01-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Yeah fortunately she is not quite old enough to drive. Very soon though.

That said, she knows how OCD I am about not being properly prepared for stuff, and always keeping a pack with gear in our rigs, as well as a duffle bag stuffed with extra jackets, socks, hats, mitts, blanket, lightweight sleeping bag, etc.

I probably annoy the wife by saying the same thing frequently about such subjects (actually there is no "probably" about it).

I am known to mention that there is rarely "bad weather". There is just bad/improper clothing and gear.

The Apprentice
01-04-2017, 07:01 PM
I remember being in my early teens and running the garbage out to the curb in ice and snow in bare feet tee shirt and shorts. If you move fast enough you dont even feel it. Now I can't move fast enough so its muck boots, coat, and hat.

OlongJohnson
01-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Reminds me of a friend from Anchorage I knew in college. Seemed like she wasn't really happy if it wasn't near freezing out.

I'd just be happy you don't have to hear complaining every time it drops below 68 degrees.

Malamute
01-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Going to and from my ...facilities... in bare feet in the snow isn't too bad, or to grab something from the vehicle. The pain starts pretty quickly though if its not straight out there then straight back when done. I do tend to wear slippers or slip my pacs on in recent times.

Heck, the pain starts pretty quickly nowadays even with wool socks and pacs on if I'm not moving enough. Same with hands. Sucks getting old and wimpy.

Duces Tecum
01-04-2017, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Lost River;546121] In other words, a fairly decent winter storm. I come home, warm up coffee and sit down to type on something I am doing. I hear a knock on the door, and go to answer. It is my teenaged daughter. She had walked over to the neighbors to visit her girl friend. Pajama bottoms, t- shirt, No Jacket and NO SHOES! Freaking barefoot! WTF?

And no house keys. But in her mind, she probably though waiting at the neighbor's until her Daddy gets home is foresight enough.

Lost River
01-04-2017, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Lost River;546121] In other words, a fairly decent winter storm. I come home, warm up coffee and sit down to type on something I am doing. I hear a knock on the door, and go to answer. It is my teenaged daughter. She had walked over to the neighbors to visit her girl friend. Pajama bottoms, t- shirt, No Jacket and NO SHOES! Freaking barefoot! WTF?

And no house keys. But in her mind, she probably though waiting at the neighbor's until her Daddy gets home is foresight enough.

That is funny you say that about house keys as that is the exact conversation we had.

I tend to use the Socratic method of teaching, so I was asking her what her plan was if I had not answered the door. She knows she can get through the garage, but I reminded her that the power tends to go out in the winter. She said she would go back to the neighbors.

No shoes,no socks, no jacket.

But she had her cell phone! :rolleyes:

Lost River
01-04-2017, 08:37 PM
So I went to pick up the midgets.

The snow has drifted up so much on some of the roads, including in town, that I managed to bury my old land cruiser on a subdivision street. Buried right up to the frame, pushing it with the front bumper.

Fortunately I had a full size snow shovel in back.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/IMG_2417_zpscs1czszv.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/IMG_2417_zpscs1czszv.jpg.html)

Drang
01-04-2017, 08:37 PM
No shoes,no socks, no jacket. Clearly there was service, though....

But she had her cell phone! :rolleyes:
She's a teenage girl, it may as well be surgically attached.

Lost River
01-04-2017, 08:40 PM
After my daughter came home from the neighbors earlier, I had told her to get real clothes on.

There is an elderly farmer who lives close by. I had not met him until today, but every year he puts out a neat little Christmas display.

In the warmer months I see him out doing yard work, and he keeps his old farm house looking very neat.

Long story short, I noted earlier that he had 3+ foot drifts in his drive and his door was completely blocked. I grabbed the kid and the shovel and went to check on him.

He is snowed in but fine, and has plenty of food. We shoveled off his walk, but it is going to take a snow blower or plow to clear up the driveway. That is in the works.

Anyways, I made sure the kid got a little bit of exercise! Snow boots, down jacket and Mad Bomber hat on though!

Fortunately I still had the full size snow shovel in the back when I went to pick up the midgets. Trying to mess with snow with compact shovels sucks as compared to a purpose built snow shovel.

Lost River
01-04-2017, 09:44 PM
I'd just be happy you don't have to hear complaining every time it drops below 68 degrees.

:)

My wife LOVES hot weather.

She has been known to keep a down comforter on our bed when it is in the 90s outside. I on the other hand would sleep with the window open when it is in the 40s if she would allow.

SecondsCount
01-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Well I bet she won't do that again ;)

It's going to be a good year for snow with La Niņa providing lots of moisture.

LittleLebowski
01-04-2017, 10:34 PM
So this is what I have to look forward to...

LittleLebowski
01-04-2017, 10:36 PM
Excellent point!

You know, you're a pretty smart fellow of taste and refinement.

RoyGBiv
01-04-2017, 10:39 PM
So this is what I have to look forward to...

Buckle up, Buckaroo.

LittleLebowski
01-04-2017, 10:43 PM
Buckle up, Buckaroo.

I just can't wait for college. Blonde haired, blue eyed, 25% Hispanic girl identifies as Hispanic to save Daddy money :D

Note: the baby common snapping turtle although docile and unafraid, was relocated :cool:

Duelist
01-04-2017, 11:11 PM
I remember when I was 14 or 15 going to visit grandparents in southern Arizona. We left from a northern Utah temperature inversion with lots of snow on the ground and Arctic temperatures to 50 degree lows. I ran around outside barefoot in shorts, and my grandmother thought I was going to die of the cold.

I don't recall going outside in Utah barefoot and in a tshirt in the Artic temps, though. My baby girl is up there for school. She thought she'd like the snow, but has decided that it's not that awesome.

LittleLebowski
01-04-2017, 11:14 PM
I've never heard of a teenage girl doing this. It's actually pretty impressive.

OlongJohnson
01-04-2017, 11:41 PM
Awesome kiddo you've got there. Reminds me of a college buddy who was blond haired, blue-eyed and full-blooded Mexican from a family of brown skin and dark hair. Recessive genes...

People from AK are weird. That other friend walked me through what temperatures meant to her, and said something along the lines of you started paying attention to it being cold around 15 degrees. It snowed one day on campus, and her air conditioner was still running.

gkieser92
01-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Reminds me of a friend from Anchorage I knew in college. Seemed like she wasn't really happy if it wasn't near freezing out.

When I was a little kid, my Dad got frostbite in his toes during a business trip to Anchorage. He walked a few blocks from the office to his hotel in loafers. Guess it would have been worth putting on boots after all.

RevolverRob
01-05-2017, 02:35 AM

Shovel snow.

Mow the lawn.

Reverse sides of the same coin.

Mowing grass and raking leaves is at least work you do where you can drink a glass of iced tea and take a break. Once the FUCKING SNOW starts falling. Clearing the walk, the drive, the stairs, the car, the walk, the drive, the stairs, the car NON-STOP.

I hate mowing too. But it's way easier to hire a lawn service for a 1-2 time a month yard trim. Than hiring someone to come clean my car off and dig it out after every snow fall.

And don't get me started on all the other stupid things associated with winter AND snow. Like having to get dressed and undressed every time you go out or come in. Or the fact that once snow falls...everything is damp...forever. Forget about it. I'll mow your lawn for the rest of your life to not have to deal with snow and winter for the rest of mine.

DpdG
01-05-2017, 03:18 AM
With cold weather you can always put more clothing on. In the heat, there is only so much clothing that can come off. Not social mores, but even a birthday suit isn't cool in high heat/humidity.

On purely environmental level, I just can't abide the Deep South in the summer.

Al T.
01-05-2017, 06:23 AM
My three years in Germany are directly responsible for me living here in South Kackalacky.

FNFAN
01-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Shovel snow.

Mow the lawn.

Reverse sides of the same coin.

Mowing grass and raking leaves is at least work you do where you can drink a glass of iced tea and take a break. Once the FUCKING SNOW starts falling. Clearing the walk, the drive, the stairs, the car, the walk, the drive, the stairs, the car NON-STOP.

I hate mowing too. But it's way easier to hire a lawn service for a 1-2 time a month yard trim. Than hiring someone to come clean my car off and dig it out after every snow fall.

And don't get me started on all the other stupid things associated with winter AND snow. Like having to get dressed and undressed every time you go out or come in. Or the fact that once snow falls...everything is damp...forever. Forget about it. I'll mow your lawn for the rest of your life to not have to deal with snow and winter for the rest of mine.

Rgr. Snow is a form of ice and ice belongs in a glass, covered with Johnny Walker Black.

RoyGBiv
01-05-2017, 09:19 AM

Lost River
01-05-2017, 11:11 AM
You know, you're a pretty smart fellow of taste and refinement.

You only say that because you may have a similar background there, Mr. PumpHandle Wyoming!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/IMG_0250_zpslgyitijx.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/IMG_0250_zpslgyitijx.jpg.html)

LittleLebowski
01-05-2017, 11:37 AM
You only say that because you may have a similar background there, Mr. PumpHandle Wyoming!

This is true :cool:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00063-1.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/baxshep/media/DSC00063-1.jpg.html)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00064.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/baxshep/media/DSC00064.jpg.html)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00065.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/baxshep/media/DSC00065.jpg.html)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00066.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/baxshep/media/DSC00066.jpg.html)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSC00067.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/baxshep/media/DSC00067.jpg.html)

Lost River
01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Great pics LL.

I just talked to the Public Works director of our little town. He is going to take his big snow plow truck over and clear off the old farmer's driveway.

He also said he will try to remember to do it each time he hits that road.

Good guy.

Gotta love small rural western communities.
________

RevolverRob
01-05-2017, 12:17 PM
With cold weather you can always put more clothing on. In the heat, there is only so much clothing that can come off. Not social mores, but even a birthday suit isn't cool in high heat/humidity.

On purely environmental level, I just can't abide the Deep South in the summer.

People say that...and in my general experience they haven't dealt with the hassle, irritation, and bone-chilling COLD that is a cold winter. At least not regularly in recent memory.

I walked to the office today, it is 9-degrees F outside with 14-20 mph wind gusts making it feel like -10. I'm wearing a pair of 12-ounce canvas Duluth Trading pants, a pair of thermal underoos under that. A pair of 4-ounce wool socks, a pair of Asolo hiking boots (full leather uppers). A moisture wicking long-sleeve thermal t-shirt. A wool LL Bean sweater. A Merino-wool Buff (neck gaiter) doubled over around my neck, a Crye Precision Skull cap, a pair of Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Gloves, a medium weight parka, and was carrying a backpack. My core was warm, but after the mile long walk to the office, my legs were burning from the wind chill, despite the long-underwear and thick pants.

Once I got inside it took me 3-minutes to get fully undressed to the point where it was comfortable to walk around, because it is 65-degrees in my office.

To go get lunch in 30-minutes, I'll have to get re-dressed in all my damn layers. THEN stand in line at the chow hall burning up to death, because there is no where to take off my coat and shit while I get lunch.

Meanwhile, back in Texas in August, yea. My stuff was sweaty, but a t-shirt, shorts, a pair of sandals? I didn't have to get undressed or redressed just to go outside.

Malamute
01-05-2017, 12:46 PM

Excellent point!

...There is an elderly farmer who lives close by... Long story short, I noted earlier that he had 3+ foot drifts in his drive and his door was completely blocked. I grabbed the kid and the shovel and went to check on him...

I actually enjoy messing with my yard, but its not really a normal yard. I keep it watered and I'm encouraging native grasses, sagebrush and stuff, and cast a lot of Blue Flax seed out, which is slowly covering more area. I hired a kid to rip out a lot of the small prickly pear cactus so I had some sort of refuge from the miserable stuff and the dog could have a break from it as well. Id love to have a little patch of real grass also, that will have to wait until I can do more.

I used to go shovel out some of the older neighbors before ruining my body. One of my neighbors has a small tractor that he plows me and some others out with now. Even if it hurts, I'll grab the shovel and try clearing out around in front of my vehicle to make it easier for him. He also plows part of the road, its a private road, so the county doesn't do anything. Right now the road in front of my place looks like it may not be passable for weeks or more. Wind blown high ground is nice to provide an escape route out the back.

No mow front yard

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/Malamute/IMG_4110.jpg

Poconnor
01-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Every time I shovel out my truck I am reminded I really need a garage to park it in

The Apprentice
01-05-2017, 02:16 PM
People say that...and in my general experience they haven't dealt with the hassle, irritation, and bone-chilling COLD that is a cold winter. At least not regularly in recent memory.

I walked to the office today, it is 9-degrees F outside with 14-20 mph wind gusts making it feel like -10. I'm wearing a pair of 12-ounce canvas Duluth Trading pants, a pair of thermal underoos under that. A pair of 4-ounce wool socks, a pair of Asolo hiking boots (full leather uppers). A moisture wicking long-sleeve thermal t-shirt. A wool LL Bean sweater. A Merino-wool Buff (neck gaiter) doubled over around my neck, a Crye Precision Skull cap, a pair of Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Gloves, a medium weight parka, and was carrying a backpack. My core was warm, but after the mile long walk to the office, my legs were burning from the wind chill, despite the long-underwear and thick pants.

Once I got inside it took me 3-minutes to get fully undressed to the point where it was comfortable to walk around, because it is 65-degrees in my office.

To go get lunch in 30-minutes, I'll have to get re-dressed in all my damn layers. THEN stand in line at the chow hall burning up to death, because there is no where to take off my coat and shit while I get lunch.

Meanwhile, back in Texas in August, yea. My stuff was sweaty, but a t-shirt, shorts, a pair of sandals? I didn't have to get undressed or redressed just to go outside.

The extremes suck either way. There is also quite a bit of difference between how you spend your time in the hot and cold than I do. If I recall correctly you are somewhere in Chicago now I live in the Chicago land area so we are experiencing the same weather. However the difference is I'm out in it most of the day. Here I can dress for the cold but can't do a whole lot come summer. As long as the actual temp is above 0 I can manage to stay reletively comfortable. Come summer much over 80 starts to get pretty uncomfortable at a minimum I have jeans and a long sleave workshirt on and quite often throw in a flame retardent suit. I've gone down multip times from heat exhaustion never once have I come close to frostbite or hypothermia. I will give you that bathroom breaks suck in winter trying to remove or reach through all those layers can be shall we say problematic.

Malamute
01-05-2017, 02:28 PM
I agree extremes on both ends suck. I used to prefer cold, even to the point of enjoying camping in the winter, a few times it was zero or below. Over time, the heat doesn't bother me as much now, especially in dry climates. Humid, yes, sucktastic, dry, not so bad. Ive worked outside in 95-103 deg temps, so long as you keep superhydrated, you can work. Cold, not so much any more. I think Ive mildy frostbitten my hands and feet, both can start hurting severely in a few minutes of exposure, even with fair to good clothes/boots and such. I love the Rockies about 9 months or so of the year, the other few months, Az sounds great. I need to be a snowbird.

I need to step outside and grab more firewood to keep my house warm. Its a high of about zero I believe. We get a LOT of decent winter days, sunshine, shirtsleeves type weather, but the not decent ones are wearing on me a lot more.

RoyGBiv
01-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Was 70+F yesterday. 70+ on Christmas day.
Highs expected to be in the low 30's next few days, light snow, then back to 65+ for a while.
My kind of winter.

The only time the hot weather here almost made me want to leave was in 2011 when we had something like 40 days in a row (70+ days total), above 100'F with something like 10 or so of those above 105'F (one above 110'F) and my upstairs A/C blew a compressor for 5 days in the middle of that. Buckled my driveway in a few spots too. Almost made me cry for momma.

RevolverRob
01-05-2017, 05:30 PM
The extremes suck either way.

Concur.

Come summer much over 80 starts to get pretty uncomfortable at a minimum I have jeans and a long sleave workshirt on and quite often throw in a flame retardent suit. I've gone down multip times from heat exhaustion never once have I come close to frostbite or hypothermia. I will give you that bathroom breaks suck in winter trying to remove or reach through all those layers can be shall we say problematic.

The delicious irony...I did construction in Texas in the summer for a decade. Recall my family biz is contracting. Nothing like being in an attic doing some HVAC work on a 112-degree day outside, inside in the attic it is 140+. Wearing jeans and a work-shirt, because the attic isn't the place for lots of exposed skin. You have to hydrate constantly. Take frequent breaks and pace yourself. The hottest days are the hardest but no worse than the coldest days are. Extremes suck on both ends, you simply have to learn how to work at both ends.

And I still prefer the heat.

1) When its hot outside you can sit down and rest when you start to overheat. 2) If you start to overheat it is easier to cool the body than warm it (pour water on your head versus pouring fire on your head...)

3) Warmer places are better. (Fact, not an opinion statement).

Lost River
01-05-2017, 06:42 PM
I drove over to the farmhouse. True to his word, the P.W director had taken their city dump truck with snow plow on it, and cleared out the old farmer's driveway. Did a great job.

I talked to the farmer a bit, and told him that the city works guy did it for him. Then hung out a bit and visited. It ends up that the subdivision that we live in now was once part of his farm. He showed me an aerial pic of the area from years ago. Probably in the 70s from the look of the it.

Looked much better as farmland! Nice old guy