PDA

View Full Version : Too soon for a 2017 can eat a bag of d...s thread?

RevolverRob
01-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Well, I'm on day 8 of what I thought was a "cold". Which is rapidly turning into a bad upper respiratory infection. I've an appointment tomorrow with the doc. Judging by the feelings in my chest, I won't be surprised to discover I have a mild case of pneumonia. Awesome way to ring in the new year.

I just tried to walk the 3-blocks to the store and made it a block, before I was doubled over coughing up a lung and trying not to die. The block walk back to the house nearly killed me. I also pulled something in my chest and I have a nice shooting pain every time I cough.

Maybe this is just the vestiges of 2016 getting a few last shots in. Or maybe the worst of 2017 right at the beginning.

TL;DR - I have been sick and trapped in the house for days and I don't seem to be getting better. Upside, I've gotten plenty of dryfire done from my bed.

blues
01-02-2017, 04:34 PM
Don't take it lightly. My wife had a case of pneumonia some years ago and it got scary pretty fast. (She was fine after some medication and rest but it was scary.)

Few things I hate more than dealing with doctors but you're smart to get consultation and some meds. Hope you feel better soon so I can go back to giving you a hard time without feeling guilty. ;)

Tabasco
01-02-2017, 05:48 PM
I had a really bad cough about 10 years ago, just started a new job and didn't have a MD selected yet. Had some Tylenol 3 (Codeine) left over from oral surgery, and figured there must be a reason they put Codeine in cough syrup. Really worked until I could get an Rx for horrible tasting but effective syrup.

ranger
01-02-2017, 05:56 PM
I had a cough like that and DR said I have Asthma - had no Asthma issues until I am 55 years old. Do not smoke - no known issues other than a lot of .mil time outdoors.

RevolverRob
01-02-2017, 07:45 PM
I have fortunately (??) had pneumonia before about a dozen years ago. It was a pretty serious case, involving a short hospital stay and months of residual symptoms. If I had been 50 or 60, instead of 19, it might have killed me. Since then, I don't screw around with upper respiratory illness. If I go 5-7 days without clear symptom improvement, I go get checked. Better safe on bed rest than dead!

Fortunately, I am feeling better today over the past four days. And after about 2000 calories of food and some sugar, I am feeling more like a human again. Regardless, the way the cough feels and the muscle I pulled in my chest are enough to warrant a quick check with the doc.

Clobbersaurus
01-02-2017, 08:27 PM
The plague went through our house pretty much through all of the Xmas season. My poor wife had to go to a clinic on Xmas day.

Luckily the kids didn't get it too bad, but my wife and I are still hacking up a lung. It made for a fairly low key and unproductive holiday.

It is getting better though.

MVS
01-02-2017, 09:35 PM
I have fortunately (??) had pneumonia before about a dozen years ago. It was a pretty serious case, involving a short hospital stay and months of residual symptoms. If I had been 50 or 60, instead of 19, it might have killed me. Since then, I don't screw around with upper respiratory illness. If I go 5-7 days without clear symptom improvement, I go get checked. Better safe on bed rest than dead!

Fortunately, I am feeling better today over the past four days. And after about 2000 calories of food and some sugar, I am feeling more like a human again. Regardless, the way the cough feels and the muscle I pulled in my chest are enough to warrant a quick check with the doc.

Maybe this stuff just got over the lake to you. A whole bunch of people around here had these symptoms last month.

BTW, surprised to see you are only around 30, I could have sworn for some reason you were an old guy. :D