PDA

View Full Version : Chicago 762 homicides

UNK
01-01-2017, 09:40 PM
"It's almost like a pull back so they (gangs) can kill each other sort of thing,"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHICAGO_VIOLENCE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-01-15-42-42

"There has been a political atmosphere of anti-police sentiment that has swept across this country over the last few years. The simplest way to describe it is that we have created an environment where we have emboldened criminals and we are hamstringing the police. That is creating a state of lawlessness."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/former-chicago-top-cop-black-lives-matter-killing-blacks/article/2610687

Gray222
01-01-2017, 09:56 PM
You what works even better than gun control?

Criminally charging police officers for good use of force

Peally
01-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Sorry Chicago, couldn't care less about the problems you create for yourself. You're the land of murder and fucking toll booths.

Dagga Boy
01-01-2017, 10:17 PM
Don't want cops in your community and prefer policing yourselves....you get the prizes that go with that plan.

JCS
01-01-2017, 10:22 PM
I heard in a recent podcast that if we had the same medicine as the 70s that gunshot deaths would be 4 times higher. Medical technology has increased so drastically that people who would've been in a body bag 4 decades ago are now living to tell about it.

Erick Gelhaus
01-01-2017, 10:43 PM
I heard in a recent podcast that if we had the same medicine as the 70s that gunshot deaths would be 4 times higher. Medical technology has increased so drastically that people who would've been in a body bag 4 decades ago are now living to tell about it.

Which is exactly why I mentioned that one needed to look at the attempt murder rate over the murder rate.

Gray222
01-01-2017, 10:47 PM

Having seen more than one person brought back to life after being dead for some time due to a stabbing or shooting, I don't doubt anything is possible medically.

Drang
01-01-2017, 11:07 PM
Having seen more than one person brought back to life after being dead for some time due to a stabbing or shooting, I don't doubt anything is possible medically.

Still can't fix stupid.

Nephrology
01-01-2017, 11:30 PM

Actually the technology isn't really a whole lot better, there has just been a lot more practice at it. Emergency Medicine as a unique medical specialty didn't exist until the 70s, and trauma surgery not until even later. Even since the GWOT began we've learned a ton. There are some "new" cool tricks and tools (REBOAs, rapid infusers, EZ IOs, video intubation blades, smaller and cheaper freestanding ultrasound machines, etc) but at the institution I am training at we have a higher than average survival rate for penetrating trauma s/p emergent thoracotomy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitative_thoracotomy) not because the technology is new - they just don't hesitate to crack open the chest and are good at fixing it once inside.

It's also worth mentioning to that there are some definitions of "alive" that I personally would not care to choose if I was given the option...

anyway, sorry for the tangent.

Gray222
01-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Actually the technology isn't really a whole lot better, there has just been a lot more practice at it. Emergency Medicine as a unique medical specialty didn't exist until the 70s, and trauma surgery not until even later. Even since the GWOT began we've learned a ton. There are some "new" cool tricks and tools (REBOAs, rapid infusers, smaller and cheaper freestanding ultrasound machines) but at the institution I am training at we have a higher than average survival rate for penetrating trauma s/p emergent thoracotomy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitative_thoracotomy) not because the technology is new - they just don't hesitate to crack open the chest.

It's also worth mentioning to that there are some definitions of "alive" that I personally would not care to choose if I was given the option...

Obviously my medical expertise consists of whatever I have to be certified for my department, also now narcan, and tactical/trauma care which I sought out and trained for on my own. I get a lot of practice in the real world and that's not necessarily a good thing. The docs at our local level 1 we get tons of practice. They get anything between 3-5 shooting and stabbing victims on a slow day (not for the whole city just my little slice) and probably a dozen or so vehicle and other type traumas.

What I was referring to was people who I thought would have died or should have died and did not. One guy many years ago took 7 762x39 rounds from an AK at about 12yards, four in the upper chest area. I rushed him to the ER and when I got there the doc who was all suited up was yelling up a storm because they thought he was shot with a pistol not a rifle. Four weeks later I saw the guy limping down the street on crutches. He was dead as it gets when I pulled up to the ER. But he was alive when I put him in my car. Maybe 30 seconds max of nothing other than him bumping around in the back of my car. I stopped to talked to him and he thanked me for saving his life. He said two rounds bounced off his spine after break several ribs and the doc's were able to patch the holes in his lungs and Nick at the top of his heart (I guess it missed the arch).

That is pretty impressive.

Nephrology
01-01-2017, 11:56 PM
I get a lot of practice in the real world and that's not necessarily a good thing. The docs at our local level 1 we get tons of practice. [...]

Yup and the practice is the most important thing. Definitely if you want someone to live and you are close enough, go to whichever ACS Level 1 Trauma Center in your city has the most legendary reputation for pulling a Lazarus. It'll ultimately be a roll of the dice (and the odds aren't great) but you want the Do Not Fuck Around In My ER kind like the guy in your story above because it is their split second decision making that saves lives.

Besides I definitely wasn't and wouldn't critique your 1st hand experience, thats what matters most. Just giving you more info to help you make the right decisions :) It's not the shiny hospitals that do the best work for patients leaking like the Clinton campaign's email accounts ...

Salamander
01-02-2017, 02:47 AM
I left Chicago almost 16 years ago, ironically just a few years after the numbers were even higher than they were in 2016. We stayed clear of the windows on new years and July 4 because some of the folks in the projects didn't understand about gravity, and as with any big city it wouldn't have been hard to get in trouble wandering around the wrong parts of town and not paying attention, but despite being about as inner city as it's possible to get and often taking the subway home late in the evening, I really observed very little in the way of trouble. I'm still back a couple of times a year to visit family, and there really isn't anyplace on the north side I'd be worried about.

That said, I'm very happy to be gone from there. The Chicago political system, and to a large extent the rest of Illinois, is so dysfunctional... I'd better stop there before I write a book. Whatever issues are going on with law enforcement, it's just a symptom of much bigger problems in city hall and in Springfield. At the city level, I'll put a lot of it on the shift from an oddly functional patronage system under old man Daley in the 50s and 60s, when the average voter was well represented through the precinct captain and the alderman, to the very different dynamic under Richie Daley in the 90s which was all about special interests, campaign contributions, and cronyism. Add the current massive pension shortfalls, and it may take a long time to dig out of the hole even with effective leadership... which, at least from afar, I've seen no sign of.

Lon
01-02-2017, 03:15 AM
I grew up in the NW suburbs. Left in 91 when I went to college. When I'd visit post college the shit was moving out of the city to the burbs. Haven't been back in 10+ years. Only thing I miss is the food.

Jason M
01-02-2017, 08:03 AM
There's some irony in that final number....

Hambo
01-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Don't want cops in your community and prefer policing yourselves....you get the prizes that go with that plan.

There you have it. I was reading an article the other day about the South Bronx, wear violent crime is up and enforcement is down. People in the precinct didn't like proactive policing, but now they want the police to do something. Well, that ship has sailed.

blues
01-02-2017, 09:00 AM
There you have it. I was reading an article the other day about the South Bronx, wear violent crime is up and enforcement is down. People in the precinct didn't like proactive policing, but now they want the police to do something. Well, that ship has sailed.

"People" and a clueless anti-police mayor's office. There was a fairly lengthy period of time when things were much better in NY crime-wise.

You can't decide to secede from society and its common law and rules when you feel like it and expect to draw benefits from it as well. Fuck that noise.

5pins
01-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Three so far in the New Year.

2017 opens with 3 killed, 16 wounded after violent 2016 has its last homicide on New Year's Eve

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-shootings-violence-20161231-story.html

Dagga Boy
01-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Three so far in the New Year.

2017 opens with 3 killed, 16 wounded after violent 2016 has its last homicide on New Year's Eve

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-shootings-violence-20161231-story.html

Well, they have records to break this year and they are starting off well. These are not big numbers compared to the 70's and 80's. We have a plenty of ground to cover before that pendulum swings back or rusts in place at the wrong end.

Beat Trash
01-02-2017, 09:44 AM
One should be careful about dictating to Law Enforcement professionals how to do their job, least you get the type of policing you asked for.

And, by the way, how's that working out...?

45dotACP
01-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Yup and the practice is the most important thing. Definitely if you want someone to live and you are close enough, go to whichever ACS Level 1 Trauma Center in your city has the most legendary reputation for pulling a Lazarus. It'll ultimately be a roll of the dice (and the odds aren't great) but you want the Do Not Fuck Around In My ER kind like the guy in your story above because it is their split second decision making that saves lives.

Besides I definitely wasn't and wouldn't critique your 1st hand experience, thats what matters most. Just giving you more info to help you make the right decisions :) It's not the shiny hospitals that do the best work for patients leaking like the Clinton campaign's email accounts ...
In Chicago, that's either John H. Stroger or Christ Medical Center... Stroger is a direct descendent of Cook County...Which essentially developed the science of trauma care. One of the first ever shock trauma centers developed around the height of the crack wars was the old Cook County hospital...It's still standing in the old Medical district and kinda cool to drive by if you're bored.

Christ is my stomping grounds. We had a patient not long ago who was stabbed in the heart. He lived. Theres some miraculous shit that happens in our STICU regularly. I don't work in our Surgical Trauma ICU, but they see a lot of business lately.

Until University of Chicago opens up their level one trauma on the southside, our ER/STICU and Stroger will stay busy.

RevolverRob
01-04-2017, 02:36 AM
It's actually 795 homicides. But more compelling are the numbers shot

http://heyjackass.com/2016-year-to-date-totals/

HeyJackass.com has the best and probably most accurate shooting stats for the city.

4378 people SHOT in the city of Chicago in 2016. 795 homicides across all mode types.

rdtompki
01-04-2017, 09:33 AM
One should be careful about dictating to Law Enforcement professionals how to do their job, least you get the type of policing you asked for.

And, by the way, how's that working out...?
A Chicago clergyman on TV was equating the situation in Chicago to that of a natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake and the like) and felt the level of aide to the inner city should be commensurate. While the blighted neighborhoods do need "help", the circumstances are self-inflicted, not natural, the results of decades of neglect on the part of state and city (mis)management. Chicago has a 70 billion dollar unfunded pension liability. How's that going to work out in the long term? Apparently, if you're at the top of the political heap the status quo works just fine as long as votes keep pouring in at election time.

blues
01-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Well if you listen to jackasses like Don Lemon and his merry band of fellow travelers, those folks who point out these issues in the urban inner city involving blacks are misinformed, cherry picking and when all else fails, racists for having the unmitigated gall to suggest that most blacks in America are living anything other than the dream and upper middle class lives.

Yet when it's convenient to do so, they trot out the very same issues that were being pointed out as a way of laying blame at the feet of the so-called Jim Crow loving, privileged white American establishment.

Classic "heads we win, tails you lose" b.s. conveniently aided via playing race cards and the use of smoke and mirrors.

The truth is the biggest victim in this sham and it's the unfortunate law abiding citizens of those plagued inner cities who are unable to defend themselves from the predators who are paying the price for the lies and failure to admit and address the truth of what is going on there.

I hope that things can get turned around to some degree with the incoming administration but I can't see it happening without a lot of bloodshed as those who wish to avoid having to accept the rule of law further entrench themselves.

Hambo
01-04-2017, 10:13 AM
I read Knife Fights which is about counterinsurgency and was struck by the idea that it's pretty similar to inner city America.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2017, 12:41 PM
A Chicago clergyman on TV was equating the situation in Chicago to that of a natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake and the like) and felt the level of aide to the inner city should be commensurate. While the blighted neighborhoods do need "help", the circumstances are self-inflicted, not natural, the results of decades of neglect on the part of state and city (mis)management. Chicago has a 70 billion dollar unfunded pension liability. How's that going to work out in the long term? Apparently, if you're at the top of the political heap the status quo works just fine as long as votes keep pouring in at election time.

Elections have consequences. Maybe......Chicago, Detroit, periods of NY, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Washington DC, and many others have
been voting for he wrong people or party.

LtDave
01-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Chicago cops are also required to fill out an extemely detailed as in multipage document for every citizen contact due to a consent decree IIRC. If you want cops to do less of something like stopping criminals in the streets, just make them do more paperwork that can later be used to hang them if they stop too many of the "wrong" sort of people. Their contacts have plummeted. A great resource for all things Chicago PD is the SecondCityCop blog.

BigDaddy
01-04-2017, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=rdtompki;545909]A Chicago clergyman on TV was equating the situation in Chicago to that of a natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake and the like) and felt the level of aide to the inner city should be commensurate. While the blighted neighborhoods do need "help", the circumstances are self

BigDaddy
01-04-2017, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=rdtompki;545909]A Chicago clergyman on TV was equating the situation in Chicago to that of a natural disaster (hurricane, earthquake and the like) and felt the level of aide to the inner city should be commensurate. While the blighted neighborhoods do need "help", the circumstances are self

Are you referring to that fake priest in the Colin Kaperpunk jersey that was on 60 Minutes Sunday? If so, that guy is as phony as a three dollar bill and is milking the black community for all it's got.

BigDaddy
01-04-2017, 07:00 PM
It does have some useful information but it is ruined by the usual group of people who continually complain and rip others. it get's nauseating after awhile.

rdtompki
01-04-2017, 08:12 PM

Are you referring to that fake priest in the Colin Kaperpunk jersey that was on 60 Minutes Sunday? If so, that guy is as phony as a three dollar bill and is milking the black community for all it's got.
No. I don't watch 60 minutes. There were actually two priests interviewed on Fox News. They appeared very well intentioned and I don't doubt they are trying to help their flock.

Mr. Goodtimes
01-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Actually the technology isn't really a whole lot better, there has just been a lot more practice at it. Emergency Medicine as a unique medical specialty didn't exist until the 70s, and trauma surgery not until even later. Even since the GWOT began we've learned a ton. There are some "new" cool tricks and tools (REBOAs, rapid infusers, EZ IOs, video intubation blades, smaller and cheaper freestanding ultrasound machines, etc) but at the institution I am training at we have a higher than average survival rate for penetrating trauma s/p emergent thoracotomy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resuscitative_thoracotomy) not because the technology is new - they just don't hesitate to crack open the chest and are good at fixing it once inside.

I think that probably the biggest leap forward since the 70's has been in pre hospital care. Most fire departments are integrated Fire and Rescue, with most being Paramedics vs. EMT-B, plus as you pointed out, we now have a lot more options for patient care in the field, combined with lower response times and more hospitals (faster transport) and things are starting to look really bright for people.

Get shot in most parts of the Tampa Bay Area and you've got two to five paramedics on scene in less than five min and you're at a Level I or II trauma center in under 10 min, and when you get there you already have any number of advanced life saving procedures already performed... that seems pretty good for survival rates.

That being said, sometimes were a little too good at our jobs and the term "alive" could likely be substituted for zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, or any other tasty vegetable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
01-04-2017, 09:27 PM
I think that probably the biggest leap forward since the 70's has been in pre hospital care. Most fire departments are integrated Fire and Rescue, with most being Paramedics vs. EMT-B, plus as you pointed out, we now have a lot more options for patient care in the field, combined with lower response times and more hospitals (faster transport) and things are starting to look really bright for people.

Get shot in most parts of the Tampa Bay Area and you've got two to five paramedics on scene in less than five min and you're at a Level I or II trauma center in under 10 min, and when you get there you already have any number of advanced life saving procedures already performed... that seems pretty good for survival rates.

That being said, sometimes were a little too good at our jobs and the term "alive" could likely be substituted for zucchini, lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, or any other tasty vegetable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup - Paramedics and modern EMS didn't even exist until roughly the same time. Old ambulances and ambulance crews were drivers in white suits who put you on a gurney and drove quickly. Paramedics who can intubate, push drugs, give compressions/shocks, etc are huge part of the equation too. In-the-field diagnostics like EKGs/pulse ox and finger glucose can also narrow down a differential diagnosis before the patient even hits the doors. Plus now we have far better radio communication and triage systems so ambulances can be get to and from the scene quicker and bring patients to the right hospital per their needs and location. Thanks for pointing that out.

and yes, that's the sense of the word alive that I am not so sure I am happy about. Once that vegetable gets decubitus ulcers they aren't so tasty anymore, either...

11B10
01-04-2017, 10:08 PM
Still can't fix stupid.

Obviously my medical expertise consists of whatever I have to be certified for my department, also now narcan, and tactical/trauma care which I sought out and trained for on my own. I get a lot of practice in the real world and that's not necessarily a good thing. The docs at our local level 1 we get tons of practice. They get anything between 3-5 shooting and stabbing victims on a slow day (not for the whole city just my little slice) and probably a dozen or so vehicle and other type traumas.

What I was referring to was people who I thought would have died or should have died and did not. One guy many years ago took 7 762x39 rounds from an AK at about 12yards, four in the upper chest area. I rushed him to the ER and when I got there the doc who was all suited up was yelling up a storm because they thought he was shot with a pistol not a rifle. Four weeks later I saw the guy limping down the street on crutches. He was dead as it gets when I pulled up to the ER. But he was alive when I put him in my car. Maybe 30 seconds max of nothing other than him bumping around in the back of my car. I stopped to talked to him and he thanked me for saving his life. He said two rounds bounced off his spine after break several ribs and the doc's were able to patch the holes in his lungs and Nick at the top of his heart (I guess it missed the arch).

How's about MIRACULOUS?

OlongJohnson
01-05-2017, 12:03 AM
How's about MIRACULOUS?

No, not miraculous. A whole lot of lucky, and then a whole lot of this:

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/18998526/scienceb_tshirt?productId=126392386

Salamander
01-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Elections have consequences. Maybe......Chicago, Detroit, periods of NY, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Washington DC, and many others have
been voting for he wrong people or party.

Remember, Chicago is the city that on more than one occasion has had an alderman convicted of fraudulent activity, and in the next election his wife runs for the seat... and wins easily.

Nothing will change until Illinois voters stop being sheep. Unfortunately, a lot of the top talent left years ago because of the steadily rising property taxes to pay for that unfunded liability plus lots of other past stupidity.

Paul Sharp
01-05-2017, 12:45 AM
[QUOTE=BigDaddy;546165]
No. I don't watch 60 minutes. There were actually two priests interviewed on Fox News. They appeared very well intentioned and I don't doubt they are trying to help their flock.

If it's Pfleger, he's a scumbag.

rojocorsa
01-05-2017, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=rdtompki;546204]

If it's Pfleger, he's a scumbag.

It is....

What's his deal?

RevolverRob
01-05-2017, 02:17 AM
I'm pretty jaded about it now. Chicago is a beautiful city filled with a lot of ugly people. Like Detroit and New Orleans, it is rotten from the inside out and likely always will be. The question is if anyone cares enough to fix it. Given how Detroit is fairing these days? My guess is no.

So neighborhoods like Austin and Englewood will continue to burn. No one gives a shit. The politicians just exploit the residents in these areas for votes. The citizens in the rest of the town laugh, because the crime isn't in their neighborhood. Their neighborhood has money. Money buys all the security and privilege you need here. The cops just stop giving a damn, because the citizens nor the city back them up (and who can blame them?). And as long as the street in front of the Alderman's house gets plowed first after a snowfall, the people with the power to do anything, won't.

HeyJackass.com's motto is perfect, "Illustrating Chicago's Values". It hasn't really got any.

I will be amused to watch Chicagoland slowly collapse under its own weight in the future. I have no intention of being here to see it happen first hand. Let Voters of Chicago deal with their plight. I'm not a resident of this state or registered to vote here, can't legally do so. So - for me - it's all an academic study anyway. Right now I have ringside seats to the show and the writing is on the wall. Nothing will save this city from the path now. Fire will be necessary to cleanse it.

5pins
01-07-2017, 09:07 AM

HeyJackass.com has the best and probably most accurate shooting stats for the city.

4378 people SHOT in the city of Chicago in 2016. 795 homicides across all mode types.

I booked marked that sight on my work computer and have started announcing the daily total to my co-workers. It was 9 when I left work yesterday.

43Under
01-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Meh. 762 murders in a city of 2,700,000 people.

Baltimore had over 300 in 2016 with a population of 621,000.

blues
01-07-2017, 01:30 PM

Chicago...

http://i.imgur.com/CZgV3nd.jpg

Paul Sharp
01-07-2017, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Sharp;546332]

It is....

What's his deal?

Nothing would make him happier than to see the United States burn to the ground. Calling him a communist is an insult to an actual low life communist. His upside down flag stunt just scratches the surface. He'll go on and on about the ills of society caused by white colonialism while seeming to forget the role the Catholic Church played in that part of history. He's the typical white guilt, pandering, race baiting SJW. He just does it from the pulpit of his tax free shelter better known as St Sabina.

UNK
01-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Wow Thats an awesome site. Very interesting statistics.

deputyG23
01-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Yep. Nearly one murder a day for the year.
Since my son moved to downtown Baltimore last summer, I have been following Baltimore PD through various media outlets. Short staffed and overworked like lots of other big city PDs.

blues
01-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Since my son moved to downtown Baltimore last summer, I have been following Baltimore PD through various media outlets. Short staffed and overworked like lots of other big city PDs.

With the added bonus of a very supportive mayor and D.A.'s office. :rolleyes:

Wishing your son good health and safety.

Gray222
01-08-2017, 10:14 AM

The short staffing and overworking can be directly related to how the country shifted direction under Obama.

As one of many here, we were on the job before Obama took office and saw the trickle down effect from various presidents. When he came in, cut funding for police/local gov and the anti-police bullshit started that's when we started to get short staffed and overworked.

It is turning around, but slowly.

blues
01-08-2017, 10:28 AM
The short staffing and overworking can be directly related to how the country shifted direction under Obama.

As one of many here, we were on the job before Obama took office and saw the trickle down effect from various presidents. When he came in, cut funding for police/local gov and the anti-police bullshit started that's when we started to get short staffed and overworked.

It is turning around, but slowly.

At the federal level it's always been an appropriations and public relations game. Agencies compete for their piece of the federal dollar and campaign hard within the halls of congress and the court of public opinion. The results are not always what they should be...and the facts aren't always the facts.
One day there's overtime and money to spend on new toys...the next there's no budget for OT and no upgrades to equipment in the foreseeable future.

The boogieman of the day gets the appropriations whether it's drugs, commies, border security, terrorism or any other encroaching issue. If business is slow you'd better get out there and beat the drums.

It's ebb and flow as regards public sentiment (and policy) toward law enforcement. The pendulum keeps on swinging. And so it goes.

deputyG23
01-08-2017, 10:43 AM
With the added bonus of a very supportive mayor and D.A.'s office. :rolleyes:

Wishing your son good health and safety.
No kidding. No wonder they are recruiting like mad on social media and elsewhere.
Thanks for the well wishes for my son. He is physically adept, has successfully defended himself with empty hand techniques, and carries OC. No CCW for him because living in a crime ridden city and his chemist occupation do not satisfy the "good and sufficient reason" clause in Maryland's wear and carry permit issuance law.
He is moving north of the city closer to his job later this year. Just across the line in PA might be a welcome possibility from the freedom standpoint.

funkymonkey1111
01-08-2017, 05:30 PM
As Jeff Cooper said in 1991: "no more than five to ten people in a hundred who die by gunfire in Los Angeles are any loss to society. These people fight small wars amongst themselves. It would seem a valid social service to keep them well-supplied with ammunition."

That would probably be an enthusiastic estimate for Chicago. Really, other than being used as anti-gun ammo, who really cares about 90-95% of these homicides. I sure as he'll don't.

Gray222
01-08-2017, 05:49 PM
No kidding. No wonder they are recruiting like mad on social media and elsewhere.
Thanks for the well wishes for my son. He is physically adept, has successfully defended himself with empty hand techniques, and carries OC. No CCW for him because living in a crime ridden city and his chemist occupation do not satisfy the "good and sufficient reason" clause in Maryland's wear and carry permit issuance law.
He is moving north of the city closer to his job later this year. Just across the line in PA might be a welcome possibility from the freedom standpoint.

PA is much better....Even in the left shit holes.

RevolverRob
01-08-2017, 08:24 PM
who really cares about 90-95% of these homicides. I sure as he'll don't.

Neither does the city of Chicago. 796 homicides in 2016. Of those:

623 have no suspect charged at present.

And there were only 35 death investigations in all of 2016.

Of course, Chicago is also short staffed and overworked.

blues
01-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Does the murder rate exceed the gang banger birth rate or has it reached stasis? Has the half life been determined?

11B10
01-08-2017, 08:58 PM
No, not miraculous. A whole lot of lucky, and then a whole lot of this:

http://www.cafepress.com/mf/18998526/scienceb_tshirt?productId=126392386

"LIKE" - only because there is no "LOVE."

45dotACP
01-10-2017, 01:48 PM

CPD is hiring...For the first time in a while. Probably getting a little pressure...What with all the "Chi-Raq" jokes that aren't really jokes lately.

Gray222
01-11-2017, 09:55 AM

The general public doesn't hear about this which is really interesting in my opinion.

Really throws the whole BLM thing for a loop.

RevolverRob
01-11-2017, 03:04 PM
The general public doesn't hear about this which is really interesting in my opinion.

Really throws the whole BLM thing for a loop.

The only thing the public cares about is the 11 of those 796 homicides that were police involved shootings (I believe all 11 have been ruled justified, but don't quote me on that).

And they only care about those from the perspective of using them as a justification for further violence and destruction of the city.

JAD
01-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Nothing would make him happier than to see the United States burn to the ground. Calling him a communist is an insult to an actual low life communist. .

He's fortunate to reside in the most liberal diocese in the country, and Cardinal George still suspended him a few years ago. He's been since reinstated. Cupich has since praised him, which is right in line.

On the other hand, the archbishop of Phoenix said that anyone who voted democrat shouldn't take communion.

There are flavors, for sure.

UNK
01-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Well now...murders under reported. Its actually 15% higher at 812.

https://aminewswire.com/stories/511071497-chicago-homicides-even-higher-than-reported

KeeFus
01-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Well now...murders under reported. Its actually 15% higher at 812.

https://aminewswire.com/stories/511071497-chicago-homicides-even-higher-than-reported

Say it aint so!?

ETA: your link is broken. Found another story: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/11/new-evidence-reveals-chicago-homicide-rate-is-even-higher-than-everyone-thought/

LtDave
01-13-2017, 01:52 PM
For those of you who would like to see what Chicago cops have to fill out on every contact:

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2016/01/contact-card-vs-isr.html

Totem Polar
01-13-2017, 02:05 PM
For those of you who would like to see what Chicago cops have to fill out on every contact:

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2016/01/contact-card-vs-isr.html

That is really something. Tangentially, I guess there will be no stopping anyone who looks middle eastern, or Arabic.

Gray222
01-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Ours is pretty similar.

Jason M
01-14-2017, 09:25 AM

That area of PA is very nice. Further North into York, not so much. I know a couple of folks from the Baltimore job who have escaped to that part of the Commonwealth.

peterb
01-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Justice Dept weighs in:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509665735/shots-in-the-back-children-tasered-doj-details-excessive-force-by-chicago-police
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509646186/doj-severely-deficient-training-has-led-to-pattern-of-abuse-by-chicago-police

deputyG23
01-14-2017, 10:26 AM
That area of PA is very nice. Further North into York, not so much. I know a couple of folks from the Baltimore job who have escaped to that part of the Commonwealth.

I will pass this on to him. Thanks!

Gray222
01-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Justice Dept weighs in:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509665735/shots-in-the-back-children-tasered-doj-details-excessive-force-by-chicago-police
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509646186/doj-severely-deficient-training-has-led-to-pattern-of-abuse-by-chicago-police

Yep let's say the cops are wrong but the homicide rate is through the roof.

Typical

UNK
01-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Say it aint so!?

ETA: your link is broken. Found another story: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/11/new-evidence-reveals-chicago-homicide-rate-is-even-higher-than-everyone-thought/

Thanks Keefus

Dagga Boy
01-14-2017, 01:34 PM
Yep let's say the cops are wrong but the homicide rate is through the roof.

Typical

The cops are likely "wrong", because it seems like they don't know what right is. From what I can tell solid policies, on going recent relevant force and tactics training, and lethal force training that meets modern standards is all near non existent. This is an epic failure of "management" (leadership is not even in the vocabulary at the level of failure to train). That epic failure is at both the LE executive mangagement and the corrupt political hacks who all love blaming everyone but the responsible person in the mirror. I would love to know where the DOJ was in telling Rhombo to get their force training and staffing in order well before this.

Gray222
01-14-2017, 01:43 PM
The cops are likely "wrong", because it seems like they don't know what right is. From what I can tell solid policies, on going recent relevant force and tactics training, and lethal force training that meets modern standards is all near non existent. This is an epic failure of "management" (leadership is not even in the vocabulary at the level of failure to train). That epic failure is at both the LE executive mangagement and the corrupt political hacks who all love blaming everyone but the responsible person in the mirror. I would love to know where the DOJ was in telling Rhombo to get their force training and staffing in order well before this.

Of course it's the leadership's fault, of course it's the top brass who fucked it up.

Looking at it politically, headlines are Chicago has serious issues with homicides and that's going to change to cops use excessive force, which is exactly what the top brass and top politicians want in that area.

Honestly if I was a cop in Chicago I'd either try to find employment elsewhere or do literally nothing.

Wendell
01-27-2017, 10:22 PM
On a chilly Saturday, 20 volunteers sat in a movie theater-turned-church located on Chicago’s South Side, taking detailed notes on how to properly tie a tourniquet, take a pulse and stop the bleeding from a serious injury as part of the inaugural Chicago South Side Trauma First Responders Course. The course is a first-of-its-kind for the city, which had 762 homicides last year, according to the Chicago Police Department.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chicago-witnesses-violence-turn-aid-save-lives/story?id=45050202 (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/chicago-witnesses-violence-turn-aid-save-lives/story?id=45050202)

UNK
02-04-2017, 12:31 PM
John Lott's view on Chicago http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444610/chicago-crime-police-gun-control-laws-growing-crime

OlongJohnson
02-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Linked in Lott's article:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2014/Chicago-crime-rates/