PDA

View Full Version : New Pocket Pro II timer, features or bugs?

LeeC
12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I read the forum thread about the need for a better shot timer (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?945-The-Perfect-Shot-Timer), so my expectations were not very high, but I still needed to get something until the perfect timer gets invented. So, I just purchased a Pocket Pro II, (software version 4.7 according to the startup screen), and cannot figure out how to (1) STOP the timer or (2) CLEAR the timer. "STOP" means to prevent the timer from recording further shots. "CLEAR" means to delete any recorded shots from memory. I've read the user manual cover to cover a couple of times and apparently these features don't exist.

Other than pulling the batter out of the device. is there any way to STOP or CLEAR the timer? I shoot on a very busy range and while I have been able to reduce the sensitivity so that my shots are the only ones being detected while on the firing line, when I step back from the line, the timer records many other shots and it is easy to lose track of which shots are mine.

This is the first shot timer I've tried to use, so I'm hoping that I'm missing something that would be obvious to someone with experience using these gadgets.

Anybody else using a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro II successfully that can provide a pointer or two?

Thanks,

Lee

fuse
12-03-2011, 05:12 PM
These features are not on the pp2. Sadly you will have to write everything down before it gets screwed up by others shooting.

LeeC
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
These features are not on the pp2. Sadly you will have to write everything down before it gets screwed up by others shooting.

Yep, I finally fiddled around with the sensitivity setting enough to figure out how to block enough ambient shot pickup to get some use out of the thing. I took it to the range yesterday and dialed it down to 9 but it was still going like a stock ticker, and I gave up trying to use it because I hadn't had time to work through all the settings.

Today I fiddled around with it at home and had the sensitivity set very high so I could pick up a slide lock as a shot. Found out it is kind of flaky at the high sensitivity settings, which the manual sort of hints at. Resting on the table, pressing start caused two shots to be registered, one with 0.0 sec duration and one with 0.3 sec duration. Also seems to sometimes not flush memory if there are over 6 or 8 "shots" in the string and you run backwards and then forwards, but maybe it just doesn't work right at a sensitivity of 25 and I'm not going to be using that setting anyway.

Used it tonight at the range with sensitivity set at 6 and was able get some use out of it. As you said, you have to capture what you're interested in quickly before it is lost in the noise. Also, there weren't as many rifles and large caliber revolvers out.

Thanks,

Lee

fuse
12-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Go lower. I shoot at a very busy indoor range with rifles and setting 2 or 3 works very well for me.

ToddG
12-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I shoot at a very busy indoor range with rifles and setting 2 or 3 works very well for me.

We're all talking about the same range. I use "3" (and sometimes "2") as well.

MechEng
12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Same here. 2 or 3 works well unless Jethro is shooting a long range big game rifle with a muzzle break, in the lane beside you, then all bets are off.

LeeC
12-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Excellent, 3 it is, thanks!

LeeC
12-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Sound sensitivity set to 3 made a big difference in usability. And yeah, when you get stuck next to a carbine shooter looking to saw targets in half as fast as he can, all bets are off.

Johnkard
06-10-2012, 04:40 AM
I'm sure this reply comes too late to make much difference.

When using a Pocket Pro II the "stop" button involves simply putting your finger over the hole. It is probably possible to rig a little plastic cover that would do the job more efficiently.

At competition and in practice, I find it easy to just reach down and put my finger over the sensor. I'm sure you can too, until a better timer becomes available.