PDA

View Full Version : Week 197: GM Test

Mr_White
12-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Week 197: GM Test

Results may be posted until January 30th, 2017.

Designed by: nwhpfan, derived from a Ben Stoeger drill
Range: 25 yards
Target: USPSA Metric
Start Position: Facing downrange, hands hanging naturally
Rounds Fired: 11

Upon start signal, draw and shoot two rounds to the lower A-zone. Time limit is two seconds, with a .3 second grace period. Repeat four times, for a total of ten shots to the lower A-zone. Last, draw and shoot one round to the upper A-zone (no time limit.)

Add up the points you scored for shots fired within the par time and grace period, plus the last shot with no time limit.

For simplicity's sake, if you are shooting 9mm/.38 Spl, you will be scored Minor (A = 5 points, B/C = 3 points, D = 1 point.) If you are shooting .357/.40/.45, you will be scored Major (A = 5 points, B/C = 4 points, D = 2 points.) No penalty for misses or overtime shots - you just don't get any points for those.

49 out of the possible 55 points is Passing on this test.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
Total number of shots fired within the time limits
Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits
Pass or Fail
Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Dr. No
12-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Two questions - "Repeat four times" I am assuming you mean "repeat four more times, for a total of 10 rounds" correct?

How do you determine which shot to count if it was overtime? In USPSA rules, you take away one of the best shots.

Mr_White
12-30-2016, 12:59 PM
total of 10 rounds

Yep, ten total shots to the lower A zone.

How do you determine which shot to count if it was overtime? In USPSA rules, you take away one of the best shots.

That's what I would do too. It wasn't really specified, but let's go with that.

MVS
12-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) G17 MOS/Vortex Viper, Fricke Gideon OWB, Kuhl Spyfire jacket.
Total number of shots fired within the time limits 6, second shot of each pair was over limit. 2.94,2.66,2.65,2.55,2.58
Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits Not really sure because I couldn't tell which shots in each pair were hits or misses. Total points were 45 without counting the overtime, so fail either way.
Pass or Fail Fail
Observations: anything you noticed Well clearly this drill is beyond my skill level at this time, but it was still worthwhile I think.

Dr. No
12-30-2016, 03:54 PM
Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) G17 MOS/Vortex Viper, Fricke Gideon OWB, Kuhl Spyfire jacket.
Total number of shots fired within the time limits 6, second shot of each pair was over limit. 2.94,2.66,2.65,2.55,2.58
Total number of points for shots fired within the time limits Not really sure because I couldn't tell which shots in each pair were hits or misses. Total points were 45 without counting the overtime, so fail either way.
Pass or Fail Fail
Observations: anything you noticed Well clearly this drill is beyond my skill level at this time, but it was still worthwhile I think.

So what did you learn as data points about your skill level on this particular drill and with your results? I'm going to make a few educated guesses based on your comments, but I'm curious of your feedback:

1. What was your time to the first shot on each string? I would be interested to see what your average draw time is to a 7,10,15 yard target is. I'm going out on a limb, but I'd guess that your draw may be slow.
2. You said you weren't sure which shot was in/out. It sounds like you are not "Checking your work through your sights" as Pat Mac says. You should look into the concept of shot calling and try to incorporate that in your regular practice. It's not an exact science ... but it is very helpful. Yesterday I shot a qual and the first round at 25y I knew was left. I felt it when the trigger broke and I saw the sights misaligned to the level I knew they would be off. I adjusted my finger placement on the trigger (as I always forget to do when I'm shooting a damn glock) and I called the next 4 good. Sure enough when we went down to check, I had one shot on the left edge of the center scoring area and the rest were spot on. This is a very important skill as a shooter as you will know the instant the shot fires if it was on target and if you need a follow up.

I think it would also be good feedback to see what people's score was on this. 6 A's, 4 C's, 1D that kind of thing. Diagnosing where those hits were on the target, which shot they were (first or second) and if they were called will give a lot of insight as to skills that need improvement.

Mr. White please let me know if I'm out of line with this. I'll nuke if so.

MVS
12-30-2016, 06:10 PM
So what did you learn as data points about your skill level on this particular drill and with your results? I'm going to make a few educated guesses based on your comments, but I'm curious of your feedback:

1. What was your time to the first shot on each string? I would be interested to see what your average draw time is to a 7,10,15 yard target is. I'm going out on a limb, but I'd guess that your draw may be slow.
2. You said you weren't sure which shot was in/out. It sounds like you are not "Checking your work through your sights" as Pat Mac says. You should look into the concept of shot calling and try to incorporate that in your regular practice. It's not an exact science ... but it is very helpful. Yesterday I shot a qual and the first round at 25y I knew was left. I felt it when the trigger broke and I saw the sights misaligned to the level I knew they would be off. I adjusted my finger placement on the trigger (as I always forget to do when I'm shooting a damn glock) and I called the next 4 good. Sure enough when we went down to check, I had one shot on the left edge of the center scoring area and the rest were spot on. This is a very important skill as a shooter as you will know the instant the shot fires if it was on target and if you need a follow up.

I think it would also be good feedback to see what people's score was on this. 6 A's, 4 C's, 1D that kind of thing. Diagnosing where those hits were on the target, which shot they were (first or second) and if they were called will give a lot of insight as to skills that need improvement.

Mr. White please let me know if I'm out of line with this. I'll nuke if so.

1)Definitely my draw to first shot time needs work. Same as it is drawing to a 3X5 at 7. On this drill I was running about 1.90 to first shot average.
2) Familiar with checking my work through my sights, but at 25 I can sometimes see my hits and sometimes not. It depends on the lighting. I understand the concept of calling your shots and am getting better at it. I made sure to do that on this drill. I just didn't report all of that. I had 7A's 1c, and 2D's. Headshot was a B. All of my non A's were to the right. (I am left handed)

Thanks for the feedback.

jiminycricket
01-02-2017, 04:13 AM
G19 Gen4, no concealment, in a Blade-Tec Phantom IWB holster at 3:30.
1.40, 1.76 / 2A
1.40, 1.75 / 1A 1C
1.57, 1.97 / 2A
1.44, 1.77 / 1A 1C
Head: 1B
1.44, 1.76 / 2C

Scored 45/55
Fail

I could have given myself a little bit more time to refine my sight picture. Also, I lost track of what string of fire I was on, so I accidentally took the head shot one string too soon. I figure overall it doesn't really make a difference.

GJM
01-02-2017, 03:13 PM
All under time, 9A, 1B, 1C, 51 points, G4 19/RMR Fricke Gideon OWB. Pass.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/IMG_5171_zpscvwtq4uk.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/IMG_5171_zpscvwtq4uk.jpg.html)

GJM
01-02-2017, 03:27 PM
CZ/DP Pro, BT OWB, all under time, 10A, 1C, 53, pass. Felt a lot easier with CZ.

JHC
01-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Ok I'll give this wizard level bullshit a try next weekend. Last year I punched "abort" on the 2nd pair. LOL

GJM
01-02-2017, 04:01 PM
G17 HD sights, Gideon OWB, in time 1B, 2C, 9A, 45, barely passed, felt harder.

GJM
01-02-2017, 04:09 PM
226R, HD sights, BT OWB (haven't shot a 226 in a year or two). All in time, 10A, 1B, 53 points, pass. 226 is a cheater gun.

GJM
01-03-2017, 04:42 PM
19K, TCAP sights, JM George, open. 10A, 1C, in time, 53 pass.

JHC
01-03-2017, 04:50 PM
19K, TCAP sights, JM George, open. 10A, 1C, in time, 53 pass.
I take it it felt easier than the 17? Interesting eh?

GJM
01-03-2017, 05:15 PM
I take it it felt easier than the 17? Interesting eh?

It sure did. Not sure why -- different day, low expectations, shorter slide? As a side note, I was using the OEM ten round magazines with a Pearce +0 finger ledge.

Clobbersaurus
01-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Oooooookay....

So this did not go well.

PX4 Storm
UMC 124g
Blade-Tech OWB holster

Raw times:
1) 2.35
2) 1.88
3) 1.96
4) 2.01
5) 2.01
6) 5.11

Total score: 25/55

I missed totally missed two shots. I'm not happy with this.....at all.

http://i.imgur.com/dpZpgYs.jpg

Luke
01-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Gamer gun and gamer gear. Shot cold, both temp and skill level. With some dry fire and more time getting used to new gun I think 2 at 25 in 1.50 or less is easily doable.

Haven't sighted in for major ammo so I blame that.

8 A's 2 C's and 1 bravo for the head shot :(

And a mid 2's head shot.

Sun started to come out and I was shooting into the sun, I blame the sun for the last 3 times. C's were super close, half inch away, so sad.

52/55 (major scoring)

Matt O
01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
Beretta AIWB under t-shirt.

Did some warm-ups at 25 yards to get used to shooting at a 2 second pace. Initially shot too slow, or then too fast and hits were shit. Finally got dialed in on the time and decided to run the drill, but still shot too many C's to pass. I definitely liked the drill though; will run again next week.

Score: 45/55 (fail)
Hits: 6 A, 5 C (all within par)

cheby
01-23-2017, 12:09 PM
CZ Shadow USPSA Production set up
Score: 51/55 (Pass)
Hits 10A 2C
I shoot this drill often since I shoot DA/SA guns and like practicing the DA/SA transition. To me it is all about the grip. If I miss it - Most likely my hits would not be good. I called both C's, they were on the same draw - my grip was bad but I did not have time to fix it and just had to continue. I am thinking in some cases it is worth taking extra time and re-adjust the grip instead of finishing a drill with the bad grip. Both Cs were very close ones which is kind of annoying - I really want to shoot it clean one day:)