PDA

View Full Version : Stocks/Grips, and smart old guys....

Dagga Boy
12-26-2016, 11:27 AM
So I pulled one of those things I do at times and bought a long frame Colt Cobra from the mid 60's to play host to my Fuzzy Farrant grips that I scored a killer deal on. I have a pretty good accumulation of Farrant stocks. This weekend I put a set on the Cobra and my 4" Hanen Special model 14. Messing around with the guns I realized quickly that Fuzzy knew what he was doing. He was part of an elite shooting team and instructor cadre from LAPD in the 50's to 70's. Many of the guys on that team made custom stocks after learning from the older guys there how to do it. The most famous of the group was Guy Hogue.

The first thing you notice with the Cobra is the stocks are huge for the gun. Well....when you grasp this thing and raise it, those sights are aligned directly in front of your eye. The little Colt becomes a pure extension of your hand. One of the huge revolver benefits is that you can get them stocked to fit your hand perfectly.

I also had out my Cobra that I love to shoot and carry. It has Craig Spegel boot grips on it. I HATE Colt's factory revolver grips. I have to have a Tyler T grip or different grips on them. By the same means that Fuzzy Farrant made the Cobra easy to align and shoot with his stocks, Craig Spegel has mastered making the gun as small as possible yet shootable without all of your fingers on the grip by perfectly shaping the grips. We think the Glock 26 was genius.....this was done before in getting "more capable" size guns sized to be more carryable.

I laugh when I see threads with folks who get all upset about some pistol sucking because it doesn't fit their grip, or the controls are not right for "their" grip. Hey, guess what.....pistols require that you adapt your hands to them. I have different grips for different brands and types of pistols. In case folks have not noticed.....we all have very different hands and hand strength, digit lengths and thicknesses of various parts of the hand. With revolvers, the grip can be made to fit the shooter. With custom revolver stocks they can be fitted close, and even specifically fitted to not only the hand size, but the shooting discipline. Many want different things, and in the golden revolver age, folks like Fuzzy Furrant and John Hurst would fit your stocks to your actual hand at their house. I believe it is Herrets that will also work off of tracings.

As my arthritis keeps worsening and my insurance keeps denying medication to relieve the pain, grip fit has become a bit interesting to me and now that I have lost so much grip strength I am really appreciating grip shape.

blues
12-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Well said, DB.

Normally, when I look at a gun, especially a revolver, the first thing I'm struck by is the symmetry (or lack thereof) of the firearm with the grips.

But, I'm also cognizant that the purpose of the grip is to enable mastery of the weapon (and perhaps look stunning in doing so as well).

Since I'm primarily interested in concealed carry of my own firearms, I'm most bowled over by those which achieve mastery, stealth and beauty contemporaneously.

BTW, have I mentioned that I hate you? I just needed to get that on the record. ;)

Poconnor
12-26-2016, 01:17 PM
I have more guns and gear than I need but not as many as I want. Keep up the good work preserving our gun heritage and reminding me there are more things I need before I die. I really hope one of those colts is one I sold you. It hurt to let them go but it helps that they went to a good home.

Dagga Boy
12-26-2016, 01:25 PM
I have more guns and gear than I need but not as many as I want. Keep up the good work preserving our gun heritage and reminding me there are more things I need before I die. I really hope one of those colts is one I sold you. It hurt to let them go but it helps that they went to a good home.

Those are not, but wait till you see what I am going to do with the beater Police Positive. It turned out it was Made the same year as Wayne Dobbs, so I am making something neat for him. I just traded the Python for a super rare 38/44 Austin PD gun that "may have been" the gun that killed Charles Whitman at the Texas Tower. I figured you would approve as that one is really preserving police history. Guy wouldn't sell it, only trade for a Python. Otherwise...got them all in a good home

Duces Tecum
12-26-2016, 01:35 PM
As my arthritis keeps worsening and my insurance keeps denying medication to relieve the pain, grip fit has become a bit interesting to me and now that I have lost so much grip strength I am really appreciating grip shape.

If your doctor would recommend expensive surgery and subsequent long-term physical therapy, perhaps your insurance company would encourage you to first try medication? Just a suggestion. No guarantees.

SLG
12-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Those spegal grips are just great. Unfortunately I have never been able to try a set of Fuzzy stocks, but maybe I will find some for a K frame one of these days.

Dagga Boy
12-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Those spegal grips are just great. Unfortunately I have never been able to try a set of Fuzzy stocks, but maybe I will find some for a K frame one of these days.

I am looking forward to getting my Model 14 4" out with them soon. My favorite grips for that gun are old Rogers/Safariland that I normally use on all my defensive K and N frame revolvers. It will be interesting to see how the Farrants work on it.

Poconnor
12-26-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm really glad to hear you made good use of those colts. You really helped me out when I was having a bad time after my injury. I am super happy you are showing love to that beater police positive; she still locked up tight and every time I held it I wished it could tell it's stories.

Polecat
12-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Cool thread as always Dagga, love your posts man, though it has cost me a small fortune! Almost bought a M15 beater the other day just because it had Fuzzy stocks!! Still might go back. Kid at the counter didn't have a clue, nor did any of the guys. Kicking myself, but just didn't have enough time to that day. Thing I didn't appreciate till actually held them was they were aysmmetric. The right hand grip had a palm swell the left was flat. This guy was pretty forward thinking, they were fit perfect with great checkering and finish.

Dave

Dagga Boy
12-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I'm really glad to hear you made good use of those colts. You really helped me out when I was having a bad time after my injury. I am super happy you are showing love to that beater police positive; she still locked up tight and every time I held it I wished it could tell it's stories.

I found a set of Farrants for the cut frame for it. I am having a gunsmith cut the frame for the grips so Wayne can have a birth year gunfighting gun. I am glad I could pay it back a little. I had some folks help me out in the same way when I got hurt and the city was trying to financially starve me out.

Cool thread as always Dagga, love your posts man, though it has cost me a small fortune! Almost bought a M15 beater the other day just because it had Fuzzy stocks!! Still might go back. Kid at the counter didn't have a clue, nor did any of the guys. Kicking myself, but just didn't have enough time to that day. Thing I didn't appreciate till actually held them was they were aysmmetric. The right hand grip had a palm swell the left was flat. This guy was pretty forward thinking, they were fit perfect with great checkering and finish.

Dave

Go back and get it. That is what Malloy carried in Adam-12. In the late 60's through 70's at LAPD, a Farrant/Hurst/ or Hogue stocked Model 15 was a sign of a shooter.

Yes, the Asymetrical shape of the grips is what made all of those special. I have a set of original hand done Guy Hogues that are also asymmetrical and checkered and shaped completely different on each side of the gun. The stocks on my 27-2 are the strangest set of stocks I have ever felt. It is almost like the were fitted to shoot with two hands strong side and and for a single hand grip with the support hand....which would likely have some real practical application.

LtDave
12-26-2016, 04:29 PM
This thread needs more pics. My S&W M15 2" with Hurst grips:

Model 10 3" with RB Hurst:

entropy
12-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Cool old shooting irons, a history lesson, and some equally nice pics...

What's there not to enjoy here???

As I was reading the thread, the Malloy/ADAM-12/M15/Farrant thing came to mind as well. I'm sure others here know far more of the story, but Martain Milner cherished that gun. I cannot recall its disposition on his passing...auction maybe? Back in an era where television and reality wove a dual respect.

LtDave
12-26-2016, 04:35 PM
The Malloy gun was recently offered for sale, on Gunbroker I think.

Dagga Boy
12-26-2016, 07:16 PM
The Malloy gun was recently offered for sale, on Gunbroker I think.

Last check they want $10,000.00 for it. If it was half that I would own it, but I think they are way high.

Wayne Dobbs
12-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Those are not, but wait till you see what I am going to do with the beater Police Positive. It turned out it was Made the same year as Wayne Dobbs, so I am making something neat for him. I just traded the Python for a super rare 38/44 Austin PD gun that "may have been" the gun that killed Charles Whitman at the Texas Tower. I figured you would approve as that one is really preserving police history. Guy wouldn't sell it, only trade for a Python. Otherwise...got them all in a good home

I can't wait to see what this looks like! A birth year gun is something I've always wanted and this one will occupy a place of honor. It will also do "retirement level" work with the kindest of .38 Special loads. Thanks, brother!

alohadoug
12-27-2016, 12:51 PM
One of the huge revolver benefits is that you can get them stocked to fit your hand perfectly.

This was just brought home to me at the LGS. Now, I'm on the younger side of many here (42) but I've got damage to the ligaments in the bases of my thumbs and reoccurring tendonitis in my wrists. I've noticed that the width of the grips can cause great issues with my thumbs, i.e. if the grip is too wide/too square/too narrow, I end up with a lot of pain. I can handle a J frame (currently living the "lifestyle") but most of the narrow single stack 9mm cause sharp pain. Most of the double stack cause pain because they push my thumb too wide. I was looking at S&W Model 60PC that felt pretty good in my hand. I put it down and picked up a 686+ (current production with Hogue? stocks). My dealer heard my thumb pop and could see the look of pain on my face. I've had issues with K frames causing pain, but I had thought it was due to the old fashion (yes, I went there) wood stocks. Now, I suspect it has more to with the frame size and angle it creates in my wrist and thumb.

I'm realizing more and more that fit is going to be the most important aspect for me.

And that I need to realize I might not find a 9mm that works "well enough" for me...

Thanks for your post Dagga Boy, it helped me realize my situation in a different light.

Lon
12-31-2016, 09:49 PM
This thread needs more pics. My S&W M15 2" with Hurst grips:

Model 10 3" with RB Hurst:

Are those current manufacture grips? Serious WANT.

EDIT: just realized which thread this was. Damn.

LtDave
01-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Sorry, those are '80's vintage. Got several pairs as prizes at LAPD PPC matches back in the day. John made 3 pairs for me with hand tracings. I have another set for a RB J frame.

Dagga Boy
01-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Here is a set of Hurst's on the primary carry gun for an LAPD legend.

FNFAN
01-01-2017, 06:27 PM
Here is a set of Hurst's on the primary carry gun for an LAPD legend.

Beyond coolness! Thanks for the pic.

Lon
01-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Is there anyone doing work like that anymore?

OlongJohnson
01-01-2017, 11:11 PM
Piling on to the previous post...

I've seen DB comment that today's Herrett's stocks are not as well made as some others, such as the Nils he has/had on his workhorse 686 SSR. However, in line with this thread, if one has unusually sized/proportioned hands, the fact that Herrett's will make grips to your hand tracing (and, reading various places, seems to be willing to make adjustments if they aren't quite right) is rather attractive compared to anything off the shelf, even if the absolute fit and finish and details aren't quite as perfect as some others. Thoughts?

Pstolr
08-29-2022, 09:52 AM
Reading your posts, you have mucho experience with Farrant and other pistol grips. Do you recall ever seeing his or other makers' grips marked as to who made them?

Just curious since a pair Fuzzy made for me carries no mark.

LtDave
08-29-2022, 10:50 AM
Fuzzy made me 5-6 pairs of grips. None have a makers mark. In addition, I have quite a few pictures of Farrant grips, none with makers marks. The Farrants will often have a number written in grease pencil or black marker on the inside of both panels. I believe these were tracking numbers to keep them together but I have no information as to how they were assigned.

John Hurst's grips were not normally marked, but he also wrote on the inside with grease pencil. A couple pairs that I ordered had my name written. Some I've seen have numbers or other markings. Here is the only pair I've seen with his name:

Another pair with markings

Keith Brown and Craig Spegel currently mark their work. I believe some very early Spegel grips are unmarked.

Pstolr
08-29-2022, 12:52 PM
Lt Dave...

My impression is that these makers were casual about their work, doing it less as commercial enterprises. Maybe not wanting to appear bragging.

LtDave
08-29-2022, 01:07 PM
Lt Dave...

My impression is that these makers were casual about their work, doing it less as commercial enterprises. Maybe not wanting to appear bragging.

I'd disagree to some extent. Fuzzy Farrant was definitely in the business of making grips. He advertised quite a bit in the gun magazines. John Hurst never advertised to my knowledge, he was mostly word of mouth. He made grips to order and also did some on spec. I know he sold some through Cheshire & Perez, a S&W distributor/repair center where I worked for a time. His grips were also given out as prizes at PPC matches in the late '70s, early '80s. I got a couple pairs that way.