PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts (inspired by Rotation BLOG entry)

VolGrad
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Most of us follow a natural progression from a complete noob to master ninja. We all travel at different speeds along that curve. It’s usually not a smooth progression. We go through patches of progress, reach a plateau, progress some more, plateau again, etc. The speed usually is a function of time, resources (guns, gear, & ammo), personal drive, online resources (however good or bad they might be), our peer group, quality training (or lack thereof), participation in gun games, etc. At some point many folks become content with where they are (or get complacent, there’s a difference IMO) and stop progressing completely. Content = I’m happy with my skills as they are now. Complacent = I don’t have the drive/time/resources/etc. to progress any further.

In the beginning most of us swap out guns & gear frequently trying to find what works best for us. Unfortunately, much of that is driven by marketing hype, Internet discussions, advice from our peers (good & bad), etc. Hopefully, this period is short lived and we find what works best for us and stick with it. Some stall out in this phase and continue to swap out guns & gear “‘cuz I want to.” These folks are not very serious about using a gun, just serious about carrying one. They like the idea of being able to defend themself but probably couldn’t actually do it if push came to shove.

No matter where you are on the previously mentioned curve there will always be folks you look to for information. Be careful not to fall into a cult following. This happens all over the Internet and is unfortunate. We can all name people or products that have a blind following because that’s what/who all the other “cool guys” do/use/listen to/etc. Following anything blindly makes you look foolish and gets you discounted in the eyes of others. Well, not completely true. The other followers will still think you are cool because you agree with them.

I will never “be” Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers, Todd Green, etc. However, I can study them & train with them with the goal of picking up something that works for me. What I’ve learned from these guys (and others) is to keep an open mind. Listen & learn. Try something before you dismiss it. You might be surprised at the results. Even though these guys are considered by most to be Jedi knights don’t fall into the cult follower category. Even they sometimes contradict one another so someone has to be wrong, right?

No matter where you are on the previously mentioned curve there will always be folks you think are idiots and not nearly as ninja as you are. It’s inevitable. Please don’t forget you were once “that guy” (no matter what you think) and try to help him out rather than calling him a fool. If you alienate him he might stall out and never become as ninja as you. Help a brother out until which point he proves he’s a douche bag rather than just uninformed. If he does prove to be a douche feel free to burn him down.

I won’t get into the “rotation” again. However, what I see as just as big of an issue … one I myself am guilty of … is gear swapping. To me this is just as much of an impediment than swapping guns. Many of us swap from IWB to OWB and perhaps even AIWB depending on the day/attire/occasion. I have read many DIScussions (see what I did there?) of this practice and the criticism is valid. I generally claim I am aware of where my gun is and kid myself when the S is HTF I will instinctively grab for the right place. The fact is I have no idea what I would/will do. The biggest issue I’d face is probably clearing my cover garment. I am one of those lamo guys that carries IWB/OWB under a regular old shirt (not open faced, therefore I have to pull my shirt UP to clear kydex). However, in training classes I generally OC OWB (no cover garment) and in IDPA I generally CC OWB (open faced tactical fishing vest). This is F’d up and I know it. I’m working on that now … figuring out what I want/need to do to correct this, on my part.

I had a bunch of stuff typed out about Joe Civilian who shows up to a beginner/intermediate level training class in fatigues, chest rig, shemagh, etc. This guy also eats MREs during break. I figured I better let that one go for now. That discussion is for another time & place.

Sorry for the rambling. I think my main point is that Ninja B thinks he is better than Ninja A. At the same time Ninja C thinks he is better than both Ninja A & B. Ninja D is better than them all. My point is to not take yourself so serious you forget where you came from or in what direction you should be heading. At some point we were all Ninja A.

Feel free to post your own thoughts.

rsa-otc
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Yo Dude;

Nice post!

Lomshek
12-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Totally agree. Great post.

Al T.
12-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Couple of other points about a shooter's evolution comes to mind.

One is education. When I started shooting, Jeff Cooper and Ray Chapman were the only folks who had shooting schools. Now we have a very reasonable stable of folks to train with which is a relatively new concept. If a shooter is smart enough to invest some time and effort into getting good training, things may change for them.

Another form of education (AKA gaining experience) is seeing what works and what does not, per the individual. As an example, BHPs (and 1911s W/O beavertails) do not work for me at all. Several friends do not shoot Glocks well, compared to other platforms. So, actually experiencing tools and techniques is a valuable way to gain knowledge.

Technology can also change things for shooters. I first shot with a RDS in 1981 or so and LOL'ed at the thing. Here we are 30 years later and I have several. Wonder what will be new in 2041? :cool:

peterb
12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Having been an enthusiastic beginner in a lot of different activities, I'd ask for a bit of discretion before awarding the "that guy" label to anyone whose skills are inferior to yours. We are all beginners at something. It may well be their first range visit/class/competition. Lack of knowledge and skill does not deserve ridicule IF the person has a positive attitude, wants to learn and understands their limitations. Honest ignorance is different than willful stupidity, unrealistic self-perception, hostility to change, or other ego-driven behavior that deserves the "that guy" label.

Al T.
12-03-2011, 10:37 AM
IF the person has a positive attitude, wants to learn

Good point, but "That Guy" almost by definition does not have a positive attitude. I've seen folks resist the POI which led to the instructor focusing on other students. Made me really wonder why the student came to the class.

TCinVA
12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Having been an enthusiastic beginner in a lot of different activities, I'd ask for a bit of discretion before awarding the "that guy" label to anyone whose skills are inferior to yours.

"That guy" status has never, at least in my view, been about skill. It's always been about attitude.

Example: Last night I was killing some time with a friend after a few hours at the range before I went out to dinner with the family. We were talking typical gun nerd stuff and someone at the next table noted that he was also a bit of a gun guy and we started a friendly conversation. It went from friendly to "that guy" in less than 2 minutes when the dude started talking about the Semtex-tipped bullets he had stored in New Jersey, which was going to be his carry ammo. That or those Extreme Shock "Fangface" rounds, which according to him he'd seen blow holes in people roughly the size of a pumpkin while he was in Iraq.

I didn't think of him as "that guy" because he likely could't shoot the FAST drill within a second of my best time...I thought of him as "that guy" because he was willfully stupid. As I tried to gently nudge him away from idiocy with subtle indications that I didn't fall off the turnip truck 5 minutes ago, his absurd assertions got more drastic...to the point of claiming SEAL teams were sent in to bat cleanup after he got done with a place...right before telling me that was upset because his mom lost his Desert Eagle .50 caliber pistol.

We are all beginners at something. It may well be their first range visit/class/competition. Lack of knowledge and skill does not deserve ridicule IF the person has a positive attitude, wants to learn and understands their limitations. Honest ignorance is different than willful stupidity, unrealistic self-perception, hostility to change, or other ego-driven behavior that deserves the "that guy" label.

Agreed. None of us sprang from the womb as masters of the universe. If someone isn't determined to make idiocy a lifestyle choice, then they deserve patience.

TheLaw
12-03-2011, 08:08 PM
I just copy Vol! :D

jlw
12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm of the belief that no one piece of equipment can meet every need. A Ford Focus isn't going to do a good job of towing your camper, but an F350 will get mighty expensive if you put a lot of miles on a vehicle if you travel a lot.

Some things are simply mission specific.

JB326
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
This is a great thread. As far as gear swapping is concerned, I am issued and limited to Glocks for carry at work (LEO). All of my carry guns are personally owned (35 for patrol/ swat, and a chopped 23 for my current narcotics assignment), but I often find myself wanting something different "just because". But then I go to the LGS and fondle a bunch of stuff that doesn't end up feeling better than a Glock. Early on, I hated Glocks and now I can hardly bring myself to shoot anything else. I do subscribe to the "wear it in the same way theory though, I wear my pistol between 3-4 o'clock regardless of what type holster I might be wearing.

BWT
12-07-2011, 12:16 AM
The older I get... the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I think the idea is to like you said not get complacent, keep pushing the envelope, keep a tenable mindset and realize what you're doing now, in 5 years from now (if it takes that long), you'll look back and say "Man... I can't believe I thought that way."

Like I wish that moment I had 3 years ago, when I decided the first handgun I wanted to own was a 1911, because I knew, right? I should've gone with a Glock 17 :D.

jlw
12-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I normally shoot Glocks, and I dabble a little bit with an M&P45, but this weekend I shot a club level IDPA match with a 1911. I don't see much difference at all going back and forth between the Glock and M&P, but when I go to a 1911 it gets ugly. The lack of take up in the trigger gets me.