PDA

View Full Version : Avidity Arms PD10?

newyork
12-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Anyone see one of these yet? Seems like a good carry and do it all single stack mid size option if it works well. Nice features. Good ban states option.

Just wondering if anyone has info or hands on experience pre-release.

spinmove_
12-22-2016, 09:37 AM
I've never heard of it before. Link or pics?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

newyork
12-22-2016, 09:39 AM
https://avidityarms.eagleimportsinc.com/avidityarms/pd10

spinmove_
12-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Well, it looks interesting, but yeah, definitely never heard of these guys before and it appears to be their first offering.

Looks like a PPS that's reached the teenage years with a stunted pic rail. I'll let others beta test this and see what it's short comings are first.

newyork
12-22-2016, 09:53 AM
Rob Pincus collaboration with Avidity apparently. 2 years process it says.

spinmove_
12-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Pincus collaboration? I'll definitely pass until it's been thoroughly tested by others then.

Irelander
12-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Doesn't look like anything a Kahr P9 won't do.

Kirk
12-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Pincus collaboration? I'll definitely pass until it's been thoroughly tested by others then.

Yep, when asked on his FB page about accuracy, he got angry and said he thought it would be able to hit the head box at 25 yards and that he'll leave accuracy testing to the "gun mags." Lol wtf. He makes a gun he doesn't even know the accuracy potential of, or the trigger pull weight.

spinmove_
12-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Yep, when asked on his FB page about accuracy, he got angry and said he thought it would be able to hit the head box at 25 yards and that he'll leave accuracy testing to the "gun mags." Lol wtf. He makes a gun he doesn't even know the accuracy potential of, or the trigger pull weight.

He "thinks" it will at 25 yards? Man, I hope for the sake of the people who buy this thing that the engineers who took the design from "napkin" to reality know what they're doing better than he does...

newyork
12-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Damn that's pitiful. I'll pass.

Kirk
12-22-2016, 11:06 AM
He "thinks" it will at 25 yards? Man, I hope for the sake of the people who buy this thing that the engineers who took the design from "napkin" to reality know what they're doing better than he does...

I don't want to misquote him, I'll look for the exact quote. I believe it was either he "thinks" or he's "sure" it'll be capable of head box at 25 yards. Honestly though, if THAT is the accuracy standard, then that is pathetic. You can almost get that out of a smooth bore musket pistol.

spinmove_
12-22-2016, 11:40 AM
I don't want to misquote him, I'll look for the exact quote. I believe it was either he "thinks" or he's "sure" it'll be capable of head box at 25 yards. Honestly though, if THAT is the accuracy standard, then that is pathetic. You can almost get that out of a smooth bore musket pistol.

Tell that to an M&P9 fs.....

In all seriousness though, you don't even have to be a great shot to know what the pistol is mechanically capable of. If it were me designing and manufacturing a pistol you can bet that I would know what it would be able to do from a Ransom Rest at 25 yards.

jeep45238
12-22-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm hesitant due to the mags. 9mm 1911 mags - how many 1911s are picky on mags, with how many variables in the feed lip height and geometry are there? I like the concept, but I'm unsure of the execution. I'll beta test for free with the caviot of free gun/ammo/mags, but I'm not getting pulled into it otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk
12-22-2016, 01:34 PM
There are videos of this thing failing to lock back on Pincus' page lol. I'm curious who "Avidity Arms" is being manufactured by. Anyone know? Bersa would be my guess but IDK

Clobbersaurus
12-22-2016, 02:07 PM
This thing better come with at least three hay bales.

https://youtu.be/S7OGxN4NW5M

jeep45238
12-22-2016, 03:20 PM
There are videos of this thing failing to lock back on Pincus' page lol. I'm curious who "Avidity Arms" is being manufactured by. Anyone know? Bersa would be my guess but IDK

I think so based on the other imports involved.

I just really hope their engineers were good.

Kyle Reese
12-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Just ask him to run a clean FAST.

Larry Sellers
12-22-2016, 08:41 PM
In response to above....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/896fce6784014474a48f4f8a58bf7ed7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MGW
12-22-2016, 09:21 PM
I kind of like the concept. Kind of a single stack 19. It looks like a Frankenstein of every gun made though and build quality looks pretty rough around the edges.

drummer
12-22-2016, 09:46 PM
As I've posted before, sounds like a good concept but I'm very skeptical of the product. 9mm 1911 mags would not be my choice for several reasons. I'll give it wide berth.

Doge
12-22-2016, 10:10 PM
The Wilson 9mm ETM mags should be fine. I do like the metal followers and they've been reliable for my WC CQB9mm for a season of USPSA and IDPA. Through 6000 rounds.

orionz06
12-22-2016, 10:21 PM
Meh, I think it'll be fine. Surely just because Rob won't give a group size doesn't mean it's gonna shoot like an M&P 9. I'd bet money that a majority of his responses are such just to get people all worked up and talking about it.

I'll have some molds for it at some point as people I support will be using some for a bit.

newyork
12-22-2016, 10:33 PM
Well it seemed like a well-rounded and thoughtful pistol. I'd like to follow it's progression.

iWander
09-02-2017, 05:11 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was just looking for reviews on what I hoped would have been a pistol in the field. I agree it looks a lot like the Bersa! Anyone have info that it's out and available for testing?

walker2713
09-03-2017, 08:11 AM
I watched about half of Rob's Youtube video....

My conclusion: full size pistol of unknown origin with 10+1 capacity, using 9mm 1911 magazines.....the answer to a question that no one's asking.

YMMV.

octagon
09-03-2017, 11:00 AM
I think the concept of the PD 10 is a decent one as it fills a gap no one really seems to have addressed which is the mid size single stack polymer striker gun. The Shield and 43 are smaller but the shorter grip means less hand on gun and reload finger placement change. The lack of barrel and slide length leads to more recoil/lift and less velocity while not really making much difference in concealability. That said as much as I hope the PD-10 turns out to be a decent choice with reliability and accuracy but I think it has quite the uphill battle to do so.

I picked up a Bersa BP9 CC a few months ago. The PD-10 sure likes very close in some areas like the slide. Why Avidity Arms didn't try and use the same magazine or better yet the Shield 8 round magazine or similar I don't know. I like the Bersa as it has a great trigger,Sig front Glock rear sights,decent ergos,ambi mag button and slim grip. I am no fan of the magazine safety especially for dry firing and the key lock in the slide doesn't add anything except complexity as does the top loaded chamber indicator. The grip is also a bit slick but good shape and can be rectified easily.

I wonder if the PD-10 takes off, if/when it hits the market, if any of the huge Glock aftermarket companies would consider making a longer grip Glock 43 frame that uses the ETS Mags like the 9 rounder.

http://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Glock-43-9mm-9-round-mag-p/glk-43-9.htm

And have a flush fit mag that allows for a full grip. A longer slide and barrel could be added for a "new" Glock without Glock actually bringing one to market. It would still use all Glock internal parts and the same design just aftermarket slide,barrel,frame and mags. Just spitballing here as it relates to the PD-10 and similar parameters.

To add some to the PD-10s chances in the market Pincus is pretty good at marketing and with his alliances with USCCA,SWAT magazine,Avidity Arms, and ICE/PDN training he may have a chance with a lot of new shooters and training faithful if the gun works.

octagon
09-03-2017, 11:03 AM
I think the concept of the PD 10 is a decent one as it fills a gap no one really seems to have addressed which is the mid size single stack polymer striker gun. The Shield and 43 are smaller but the shorter grip means less hand on gun and reload finger placement change. The lack of barrel and slide length leads to more recoil/lift and less velocity while not really making much difference in concealability. That said as much as I hope the PD-10 turns out to be a decent choice with reliability and accuracy but I think it has quite the uphill battle to do so.

I picked up a Bersa BP9 CC a few months ago. The PD-10 sure likes very close in some areas like the slide. Why Avidity Arms didn't try and use the same magazine or better yet the Shield 8 round magazine or similar I don't know. I like the Bersa as it has a great trigger,Sig front Glock rear sights,decent ergos,ambi mag button and slim grip. I am no fan of the magazine safety especially for dry firing and the key lock in the slide doesn't add anything except complexity as does the top loaded chamber indicator. The grip is also a bit slick but good shape and can be rectified easily.

I wonder if the PD-10 takes off, if/when it hits the market, if any of the huge Glock aftermarket companies would consider making a longer grip Glock 43 frame that uses the ETS Mags like the 9 rounder.

http://www.etsgroup.us/ETS-Glock-43-9mm-9-round-mag-p/glk-43-9.htm

And have a flush fit mag that allows for a full grip. A longer slide and barrel could be added for a "new" Glock without Glock actually bringing one to market. It would still use all Glock internal parts and the same design just aftermarket slide,barrel,frame and mags. Just spitballing here as it relates to the PD-10 and similar parameters.

To add some to the PD-10s chances in the market Pincus is pretty good at marketing and with his alliances with USCCA,SWAT magazine,Avidity Arms, and ICE/PDN training he may have a chance with a lot of new shooters and training faithful if the gun works.

orionz06
09-03-2017, 11:26 AM
I think the concept of the PD 10 is a decent one as it fills a gap no one really seems to have addressed which is the mid size single stack polymer striker gun.

This. And if someone P-F loved was shooting one it would be all the rage and y'all would line up to buy them.

It's a little thinner 11 round gun that is just thin enough, just long enough, and presumably just more shootable enough to perhaps have a role for lots of us.

ca survivor
09-03-2017, 01:40 PM
I like it, if is proven reliable and durable, with good factory support and all black ;)

Bucky
09-03-2017, 05:39 PM
As I've posted before, sounds like a good concept but I'm very skeptical of the product. 9mm 1911 mags would not be my choice for several reasons. I'll give it wide berth.

It's certainly not a mag I'd design a gun around. Let's take a magazine designed for a long, straight walked cartridge. Next we'll jury rig it to fit a short, tapered cartridge. I've had 3 9mm 1911s, and have magazines from at least 6 different manufacturers. They're needed to run 9mm in a 1911, not necessary for a new design, IMO.

Maybe they should have designed it around the Luger magazine. :p

Mitchell, Esq.
09-03-2017, 06:08 PM
If this thing ends up taking off Smith and Wesson can kill it by making a 4 inch barrel shield.

jeep45238
09-03-2017, 06:38 PM
It's certainly not a mag I'd design a gun around. Let's take a magazine designed for a long, straight walked cartridge. Next we'll jury rig it to fit a short, tapered cartridge. I've had 3 9mm 1911s, and have magazines from at least 6 different manufacturers. They're needed to run 9mm in a 1911, not necessary for a new design, IMO.

Maybe they should have designed it around the Luger magazine. :p

My first question to the pd10 makers was about magazine choices, and given the variety out there how are they going to ensure reliability with every makers mag out there.

They couldn't answer it.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-03-2017, 08:05 PM
If I was Smith & Wesson I would be watching this thing with some interest, let it build up some momentum then release a long slide version of the shield and watch the tears flow...

ADKilla
09-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Doesn't look like anything a Kahr P9 won't do.

Agree. I picked one up at the NRA show in April. Felt like holding a 2x4. Granted, the gent showing mentioned the model was an early prototype. But my P9 felt way better, and the only time it failed was after several thousands of rounds when the mag follower finally crapped out. Simple fix and back to work.

Bucky
09-03-2017, 09:34 PM
If I was Smith & Wesson I would be watching this thing with some interest, let it build up some momentum then release a long slide version of the shield and watch the tears flow...

I've been thinking for a while, the Glock 44 should be a 43, but with the slide length and grip height of a 19. Retain the 43 width. Should be 10 + 1, since the 19 Klinton mags hold that.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-03-2017, 10:38 PM
I've been thinking for a while, the Glock 44 should be a 43, but with the slide length and grip height of a 19. Retain the 43 width. Should be 10 + 1, since the 19 Klinton mags hold that.

The adult slim-line 9...

octagon
09-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Why not build the 4" M&P Shield now and beat them to the punch? The Shield already has a huge share of the market with aftermarket sights,holsters and other accessories and holsters with open bottom would still work. They could get any additional market share before competing and have their more proven design and name going for them. It is similar to what I thought Glock aftermarket could do for the 43. I think Glock GMBH is slow to do new models but the aftermarket can faster.

I think the semi staggered Shield magazines are the way to go to keep a slim width and have maximum ammo capacity in the shortest grip length and still have a reasonable length. It also aids in reloads a little with an opening a little wider than the magazine at the feed lips over a pure flat sided magazine design.

ETA The Bersa BP9 CC is pretty close to a single stack 19 in size parameters and Honor Defense offers a 4"(3.9 or 3.88" IIRC) verson of the Honor Guard single stack 9mm with a modular design to boot. It has some less likeable features but it is an option in a small market segment.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Same reason Glock let Smith create the market for slim 9mm pistols, introduced a .380...then the 43.

Is there a market for this thing?

Who is buying it?

Should they change course to add another model?

Let someone else take the risks...then ambush them.

octagon
09-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Fortis Futuna Adiuvat But then again I'm a John Wick fan. Think of how many Shields were sold by being the first or first major maker in the market when concealed carry was exploding.

Glockman9mm
09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
I bought stock in SWHC the week the Shield was announced. I knew it would be a huge money maker for them. Worked out very well.