PDA

View Full Version : Entry "Precision Rifle" Range Toy - advice - phase 2 = optics?

ranger
12-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Got the barreled action and chassis in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am thoroughly confused on optics now. Some forum members are helping by PM - thanks. So far I understand: FFP and more than 20x power. Reticle choices and the MOA-MIL-MRAD has me confused. The more I internet search articles the more confused I get!

CS Tactical
12-20-2016, 06:11 PM
This link should be able to answer many of those questions: http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1662565-sniper-s-hide-bullet-point-ep-11-budget-rifle

Ruger Precision in your caliber of choice (6.5 CM if you don't reload)
Burris XTR II 5-25 Mil/Mil
:cool:

Dr_Thanatos
12-20-2016, 08:43 PM
That Burris is a great scope. And the combo listed is the Glock 19 of the PRS world.

Hit me up via PM if you want to look through my glass. I'm not far from you.
NF 3-15 F1
Kahles 6-24
Hensoldt 4-16

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

CS Tactical
12-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Well if you want to buy premium glass, that's our specialty :cool:

Peally
12-21-2016, 01:26 PM
I found this software (with the tutorials) particularly useful for learning the basics of long range shooting:

http://www.shooterready.com/

Clusterfrack
12-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Ranger--glad you got a second opinion about glass. Pretty funny that it's exactly what I suggested by PM [emoji2]

ranger
12-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Ranger--glad you got a second opinion about glass. Pretty funny that it's exactly what I suggested by PM [emoji2]

Yes, I am getting some great feedback - thanks all!

PNWTO
12-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Not to derail, but I have never seen Vortex get much visibility on PF, is there a reason for this? I understand they are nowhere near NF or other high end glass but am.still still curious.

PM me if need be, just have a few glassless rifles and the Vortex program for Veterans is nice.

Peally
12-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Nothing wrong with Vortex, the high end ones are all over PRS events and the PSTs are still great scopes for the price (and they have a great warranty). Personally I think the Burris is just one notch higher in the feature department.

Either one would be a great entry scope IMO.

CS Tactical
12-21-2016, 04:12 PM
The PST's are a good choice for the money, but we feel the Burris XTR II is a slightly better scope overall with a true zero stop, 34mm tube, .2 windage and better light transmission. MIL and MRAD is the same and is broken down in 10's while MOA is broken down in inches.

Grey
12-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Not to derail, but I have never seen Vortex get much visibility on PF, is there a reason for this? I understand they are nowhere near NF or other high end glass but am.still still curious.

PM me if need be, just have a few glassless rifles and the Vortex program for Veterans is nice.

The PST line is the mid range, if you go to the HD GEN2 line then its just as good as the other top offerings from what I read. Check out precisionrifleblog for what the pros used for the last season in terms of optics, Vortex is up there.

CS Tactical
12-21-2016, 07:05 PM
The PST line is the mid range, if you go to the HD GEN2 line then its just as good as the other top offerings from what I read. Check out precisionrifleblog for what the pros used for the last season in terms of optics, Vortex is up there.

We have many competitive shooters that are not only customers but friends of the shop that place high and win PRS matches, the Vortex Razor Gen II is definitely favored at the matches but it's also worth to note that Vortex does sponsor or co-sponsor many competitors. Out of that class of scopes in the $2,500 to $3,500 there's a fantastic selection from the above Vortex 4.5-27 to Nightforce's newest 7-35 ATACR F1 that was just released. It comes down to a mix of price, reticle selection, glass quality, weight, tracking and availability that determines who chooses what with their own money. We're happy to discuss the Pros and Cons for each individual and prefer it over the phone at 916.670.1103. We have not had much time to play with Nightforce's new 7-35 ATACR F1 very much but a few well known local PRS shooters checked them out at a match before we got them this week and again this week, in their eyes the glass on it is Schmidt & Bender quality and still ~$600 less than a 5-25 PMII.

ranger
01-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Update from original post: I bought a like new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MIL-MIL with EBR1 reticle from a local shooter - he moved up to something more expensive. This will get me further down the road and have time to better understand if or what I need better. Thanks for all the feedback and learnings from the group.

ranger
01-16-2017, 10:48 AM
I was on the Vortex site using their ballistics charts and noticed that the "PST" line is discontinued (some with limited availability). I guess they are focusing on the PST II line. I am watching to see "closeout" deals on PSTs.

SecondsCount
01-16-2017, 11:26 PM
The PST's are a good choice for the money, but we feel the Burris XTR II is a slightly better scope overall with a true zero stop, 34mm tube, .2 windage and better light transmission. MIL and MRAD is the same and is broken down in 10's while MOA is broken down in inches.

Recently I put one of the Burris XTR II 5-25 Mil/Mil on a rifle and will agree, it is a couple steps above the PST. The controls and reticle are better and the glass is impressive for the money spent.

Update from original post: I bought a like new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MIL-MIL with EBR1 reticle from a local shooter - he moved up to something more expensive. This will get me further down the road and have time to better understand if or what I need better. Thanks for all the feedback and learnings from the group.

That same scope has been on a couple of my rifles. Nothing with magnum recoil (6.5x47L and 223AI) but with an estimated 2000 rounds fired, it has been a fine scope for the money. I'm typically a holder and not a dialer but I did shoot at 1300 yards with it and when I dialed the elevation it was right on.

StraitR
01-24-2017, 01:33 PM
I was on the Vortex site using their ballistics charts and noticed that the "PST" line is discontinued (some with limited availability). I guess they are focusing on the PST II line. I am watching to see "closeout" deals on PSTs.

Wow, MSRP of the PST II line starts at $999 compared to the $629 PST starting price. Not sure how the street prices will shake out, but if they're not careful, they'll venture out of their "sweet spot" in terms of value and price. The $800-$1200 optic market is a lot more competitive, last I looked. Good luck to them though.

CS Tactical
01-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Wow, MSRP of the PST II line starts at $999 compared to the $629 PST starting price. Not sure how the street prices will shake out, but if they're not careful, they'll venture out of their "sweet spot" in terms of value and price. The $800-$1200 optic market is a lot more competitive, last I looked. Good luck to them though.

If you guys want to pay MSRP from other vendors than that's your fault :cool:

ranger
01-24-2017, 08:13 PM

I am thinking it will raise the value of the "used" PSTs!

fishing
01-24-2017, 08:39 PM

Vortex PRINTS money and barring any truly disastrous product launches or other catastrophic issues, this will likely remain the case.

A bit myopic to think that they necessarily place a huge value in winning in the $800-1200 market that as you admit, is quite crowded.