PDA

View Full Version : Owning Duplicates Of Your Carry Pistols

blues
12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Am curious how many of you that conceal carry daily own backups of the same model firearms which you carry most.

For example, I carry a G19 or a 26 on a regular basis. Do you think it is a good policy to own a spare of each firearm? Would the age of the guns enter into the equation? Mine are 28 and 20 years old respectively.

Feel free to add your thoughts on why or why not if you are inclined to do so.

Thanks and don't forget to cast your vote above.

hufnagel
12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
two is one. one is none. give me a bit and i'll dig up the thread I made after a dry fire "event" happened. there was some discussion after that.

ETA: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22842-Anecdote-Separate-quot-practice-quot-gun-or-why-2-is-1-and-1-is-none

Larry Sellers
12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
I do have duplicates of the pistols I carry. As I posted in other threads I went around and had a CZ, Glocks, M&Ps as well as 9mm and 45 1911s. I landed on a glock 19 with dawson sights. I have a duplicate of the same gun I carry that is relegated to range and training use. Once the new year strikes I'll be searching for a 3rd 4th gen 19 to add to the stable. I like having my carry 19 always loaded and not having to worry about chambering a round after every training session.

Just my 2 cents....

Mirolynmonbro
12-20-2016, 02:17 PM
I just recently bought a spare carry gun as a designated IDPA/dry fire/training gun. I've only had it for a couple weeks but I already enjoy not having to unload and reload every night when I dry fire.

blues
12-20-2016, 02:23 PM
two is one. one is none. give me a bit and i'll dig up the thread I made after a dry fire "event" happened. there was some discussion after that.

ETA: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22842-Anecdote-Separate-quot-practice-quot-gun-or-why-2-is-1-and-1-is-none

Thanks, hufnagel. Good stuff.

LtDave
12-20-2016, 02:23 PM
If you ever have to use it, you may not get it back anytime soon. If you aren't currently employed by a LE Agency, you won't be getting a replacement from the armory. IF you are employed by an agency, should you get suspended, you won't be getting one from the armory either. In some states, getting a replacement anytime soon might be problematic. I have spares.

I wouldn't carry a model of gun that spare parts are no longer readily available. Much as I like them, my P7's are retired. Glocks I wouldn't worry about.

Malamute
12-20-2016, 02:25 PM
I used to to some degree, but its not really in my budget right now. It wouldn't bother me too much to go to another gun if I had to.

jeep45238
12-20-2016, 02:28 PM
After I launched a tiny ass spring and was unable to find it on my Beretta, I was regulated to none. I'm saving pennies for a duplicate right now for my Sig. It was a big lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinmove_
12-20-2016, 02:31 PM
I don't currently, but as soon as I'm able to, I'll be getting a spare G19Gen4 and M&P Shield.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

jwperry
12-20-2016, 02:39 PM
The only one I don't have multiples for is my 1911 and for that I'm slowly accumulating parts to build a spare.

I have 4 of my primary carry gun(Mk25/P226), 2 of the compact size(M11A1/P228 hybrids) and 1 of the sub compact(P224).

Call it OCD or just my background fixing expensive things for other people, but having spares or identical items to provide as a visual aid in repair/reassembly is more of a driving factor for me than worrying about my gun being stuck in an evidence locker.

Robinson
12-20-2016, 02:41 PM
I would have said yes until recently. I just started carrying a Colt Lightweight Commander and I don't have an exact duplicate (yet). If something happens with that gun one of my Government Models will easily fill the gap.

Kyle Reese
12-20-2016, 02:43 PM
Five Glock 17s here.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Jay Cunningham
12-20-2016, 02:57 PM
When I decided to buy a 9mm 1911, I decided shortly thereafter to go ahead and buy two.

taadski
12-20-2016, 02:59 PM
I voted yes. (2+).

+++ ;)

CS Tactical
12-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Yes on multiple 9mm Glocks :)

Paul Sharp
12-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Three of whatever I'm carrying. One vetted for carry/work. One used for training, practice and competition. One tested then put away to be used as a spare for the carry/work pistol should something happen and it goes down or is taken.

Phrog107
12-20-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm a yes on this.

I carry a G19.4, and I have a spare that is setup identically. Also have a G17.4 setup identically.

I do this for the reasons others have mentioned:

1. Ability to dry fire without having to cycle out good duty ammo.
2. Backup in case primary has a parts failure.
3. Backup in case primary is used in defensive situation.
4. Dedicated practice pistol.
5. Test bed for new parts.

Joe in PNG
12-20-2016, 03:12 PM
I've got a set of Beretta 92's:
-A D Centurion for backup & dryfire. It sits in the safe with no mag and a laserlyte in the chamber
-A FS for practise & matches
-A FS Compact for carry

MSparks909
12-20-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm consolidating on Berettas. Currently carrying one of my WC Brig Tacs (have 2) but am looking forward to shedding some weight and bulk with the PX4 CC. I ordered 2. Once I vet both I'll carry one and use the other as a trainer. I'll continue to shoot my WC Brig Tacs but the manual of arms will translate to the PX4 CC so I'm good there. Probably going to pick up a M9A3 soon and will probably add a second M9A3 in a few months. I'll make one of the M9A3s a dedicated nightstand gun that will wear a WML and future suppressor 24/7. The other will be a trainer. I'll have duplicates of each, which is probably overkill, but they're all the same manual of arms with the same basic controls so switching amongst these shouldn't cause any foreseeable issues. I like having copies if I can afford it.

Mack
12-20-2016, 03:43 PM
I think it's a good idea to have multiples. I prefer at least three, that way I have my carry gun, one for training, and a spare if something happens to either of the other ones. If it is feasible budget wise I also think it isn't a bad idea to have a dedicated dry-practice gun if you do dry practice everyday. Since I switched to carrying a P320 I have four with another two on the way soon. I also think its a good practice to have as many mags as possible, so you can have ones that only get used with your carry gun and then practice mags for training / dry practice so you don't have to worry about beating up your carry mags (an even bigger plus is not having to load mags at the range when it's subzero out...).

WobblyPossum
12-20-2016, 03:51 PM
I like having guns of the same family even if not identical. My duty gun is a Glock 21sf. I carry a Gen4 G19 off duty. I have a Gen3 G19 as a spare/training gun. The gun isn't identical but it's vetted and I feel it's close enough.

45dotACP
12-20-2016, 03:52 PM
I have no backup...I carry a G19 and compete with a 34. Need a gen4 19 at some point I think...I like the way the 19 handles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

blues
12-20-2016, 03:59 PM
I think it's a good idea to have multiples. I prefer at least three, that way I have my carry gun, one for training, and a spare if something happens to either of the other ones. If it is feasible budget wise I also think it isn't a bad idea to have a dedicated dry-practice gun if you do dry practice everyday. Since I switched to carrying a P320 I have four with another two on the way soon. I also think its a good practice to have as many mags as possible, so you can have ones that only get used with your carry gun and then practice mags for training / dry practice so you don't have to worry about beating up your carry mags (an even bigger plus is not having to load mags at the range when it's subzero out...).

Mack, I've got a pretty good handle on mags for carry and training and keep them segregated and marked for such. (And a few that I may send to Glock someday for upgrade / replacement.)

I'm working on the duplicates as my in-town FFL mentioned the other day that he is getting set up to handle Glock Blue Label orders. Told him I'm good for two...another 19 and 26. If I get the order in this calendar year I have the option of ordering two more in 2017 should I be so inclined.

Thanks to all who have posted so far. Much appreciated.

Irelander
12-20-2016, 04:09 PM
I'd love to have a second G19 and PPS but there is most definitely no room in my budget for these. I do feel that I would dry practice more if I had guns dedicated for this.

Gray222
12-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Reasons for owning multiples of any gun you carry:

1. carry gun
2. identical copy of carry gun for training
3. identical copy of carry gun in case the government takes your carry gun
4. identical copy of carry gun by your bed
5. identical copy of carry gun as a backup for when the training gun goes down
6. identical copy of carry gun as a secondary
7. smaller version of carry gun (like a g26 to your g19) as a secondary
8 - 14 of the smaller version of your carry gun
15. loaner carry gun
16. backup loaner carry gun
17. if you game, a game version of your carry gun
18. a back of the game version of your carry gun
19. a display version of your carry gun
20. a safe queen limited edition version of your carry gun (the type you lube up and sit in the original box)

That should it...

blues
12-20-2016, 04:37 PM

1. carry gun
15. loaner carry gun
20. a safe queen limited edition version of your carry gun (the type you lube up and sit in the original box)

That should it...

And I thought the bribes were good on the federal side...:p

I can't afford to hang out with you, VDM.

45dotACP
12-20-2016, 04:44 PM

1. carry gun
15. loaner carry gun

That should it...
Teh blogger monies :D

taadski
12-20-2016, 04:46 PM

Oh common, we are talking Glocks for pete's sake. :D

Gray222
12-20-2016, 04:55 PM

We call them notes around here...;)

Teh blogger monies :D

If you could tell me where those monies are, I'd gladly partake.

blues
12-20-2016, 04:59 PM
The blogger monies :D

I forgot about that. Good point.

Oh common, we are talking Glocks for pete's sake. :D

Point taken! :cool:

We call them notes around here...;)

;)

ragnar_d
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
I've got two of my EDC pistols (G19) and a couple other Glocks that could be pressed into service for the roll.

My preferred (threshold) number would be three: the everday carry, the training/competition gun, and the spare. Ideally (objective), I'd like to have those three plus a few (2-3) extra that pulled house/car duty. One for the car, one for the nightstand w/ WML, and then one in the desk in my office in addition to the other other three. My caveat on the staged guns would that they'd likely be the "big brothers" of the carry guns (G17/G34) in this instance.

Totem Polar
12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
I like having guns of the same family even if not identical. My duty gun is a Glock 21sf. I carry a Gen4 G19 off duty. I have a Gen3 G19 as a spare/training gun. The gun isn't identical but it's vetted and I feel it's close enough.

With the caveat that I'm no armed pro, this is where I am at as well. I don't really have a problem with an SPNY backing up a model 36 that itself is backing up a 642, since they're all 5-shot snubs using the same speedloaders; or a 17 backing up a 19. I therefore voted multiple, even though I don't technically own 2 of anything. But c'mon, a 3" 65 and a 4" 64 with the same k-frame grips in the same holster is close enough.

ReverendMeat
12-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Not quite a duplicate but I currently have a 92D Centurion for carry and a 92G for shootin'. I'm looking for a FS Centurion (already have a G lever for it) for carry, will use the D as a backup once I find one. Will probably get an EL 92 once those become available for reasons that I'll figure out later.

TGS
12-20-2016, 05:52 PM
If you have a Glock 19 and 26, I think that's realistically just dandy.

If your 19 goes down, your 26 can still use your mags and gear, the manual of arms is the same, but you get the added benefit of having guns that can fill different roles more appropriately (if applicable).

I don't see the big deal with having two entirely different carry guns providing the manual of arms on the 2nd one is not problematic when switching from your primary gun that you usually practice with. I wouldn't lose sleep over regularly carrying/shooting a Beretta 92 and owning a Walther PPSM2 or Kahr PM9 as my only other gun. If I usually carried a Glock 26 and decided my only other gun would be an HK USP DA/SA with safety, then I think that's a potentially bad idea.

Likewise, I think that if you're maintaining a very rigorous firing schedule where breakages are occurring with any frequency then having a 2nd near-identical gun is important. Frankly, that doesn't describe most shooters, including most shooters on here.

Malamute
12-20-2016, 05:57 PM

1. carry gun
15. loaner carry gun

That should it...

That's a little more than I can do. I do strictly limit it to a G, a 1911, and a DA and SA revolver. Theyre all really similar in that they have triggers and shoot bullets. And most of them are black(ish). Don't want to get too spread out in types.

blues
12-20-2016, 06:02 PM

If your 19 goes down, your 26 can still use your mags and gear, the manual of arms is the same, but you get the added benefit of having guns that can fill different roles more appropriately (if applicable).

Well, it was all perfectly good for a bunch of years until I started hanging around here while looking to upgrade my AIWB holster. It's been downhill on a steep icy slope ever since.

Seriously, though, your points are well taken and represent my thinking since the day I told Uncle I wanted to go it alone.

YVK
12-20-2016, 06:11 PM

1. carry gun
15. loaner carry gun

That should it...

21. Lead. I have high lead levels from shooting indoors and I have strict lead protection protocols. My dry fire gun is lead free, so to speak.

Gray222
12-20-2016, 06:22 PM
21. Lead. I have high lead levels from shooting indoors and I have strict lead protection protocols. My dry fire gun is lead free, so to speak.

Well, you can always have two training guns...one dryfire gun and one live gun.

H&KFanNC
12-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Two of the same family, P2K and a P30L.

farscott
12-20-2016, 07:02 PM
My wife and I have five P30 pistols. One each for practice, one each for carry, and a spare. Same with J-frames as we each use them. I also have three Beretta 92G BT pistols (one for carry if I ever do, one for practice, and a spare). Even have spare rimfire pistols, including Ruger Mark II pistols I use for working on trigger control as I still shoot a lot more rimfire than centerfire in any given week. Several 1911s when I used to carry 1911s are set up the same way by John Harrison.

As for reasons, part of it is being prepared, part of it is because I can, and part of it is because I have been known to loan pistols at the range for other (experienced and beginner) shooters to try.

BehindBlueI's
12-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Duplicate rifle.

As far as pistols, not an exact duplicate, but multiple iterations of the same basic gun. Classic P-series Sigs in various calibers, all with plenty o' magazines and cartridges.

DocGKR
12-20-2016, 08:53 PM
"Three of whatever I'm carrying. One vetted for carry/work. One used for training, practice and competition. One tested then put away to be used as a spare for the carry/work pistol should something happen and it goes down or is taken."

Very much this!

LockedBreech
12-20-2016, 08:57 PM
I guess the reason I don't fully understand the "spare in case something happens" is that you can order a gun and have it like 3 days later. Hell, if it's something common like a Glock you can probably buy another one that day at a local shop. On the (very long) odds you are in an incident that destroys or confiscates your carry gun, why not just buy another one then and carry something else from your safe for 2-3 days?

Mostly I don't keep spares simply because I'm a pretty low-count shooter. My training gun can be my carry gun too. I just don't put my pistols through nearly enough rounds to wear them out.

Hopefully one day. That's the dream.

Jay Cunningham
12-20-2016, 09:03 PM
I have a spare with me at the range or in a class. I'd rather not stop what I'm trying to accomplish just because of a mechanical issue.

YVK
12-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Well, you can always have two training guns...one dryfire gun and one live gun.

Yes, that is what I do. Game only guns are duplicated, live and dry / spare. Carry are triplicates, carry, live fire, and dry fire guns.

exuberant
12-20-2016, 09:39 PM
As a broke college student, I only have one P2000. I don't have the funds to buy one or two more copies of the same pistol, so I just make sure to have at least 2 spares of each of the common wear items.

Malamute
12-20-2016, 09:51 PM
I guess the reason I don't fully understand the "spare in case something happens" is that you can order a gun and have it like 3 days later. Hell, if it's something common like a Glock you can probably buy another one that day at a local shop. On the (very long) odds you are in an incident that destroys or confiscates your carry gun, why not just buy another one then and carry something else from your safe for 2-3 days?

Mostly I don't keep spares simply because I'm a pretty low-count shooter. My training gun can be my carry gun too. I just don't put my pistols through nearly enough rounds to wear them out.

Im not the most high speed guy around, but, my take on "why spares", if involved in a situation and your carry gun is taken for evidence, the colleagues of the individual you disrespected may be interested in discussing the situation with you. It may be advisable to be armed at that moment. That moment may be after they follow you home from the disrespecting event and you were unaware of being followed. Buying a gun at night may not be practical. If theres a period of unrest, and you are assaulted and disarmed by the miscreants, gun shops may be closed by order of whoever orders such things until things cool off. There may be an issue with getting a pass on a background check if you are technically under investigation until the situation is settled. Your gun may be stolen. Your gun may be lost (natural disaster?). You may find yourself in a situation where somebody else you know and trust needs to be armed very badly right away. Guns break. Guns and ammo can be hard to get for market reasons, or at insanely inflated prices, even if temporarily.

How am I doing so far?

I may not have exact duplicates (not that I wouldn't like to), but have something that can fill in if need be. I still remember how to shoot a 1911 and a revolver. In real life for me, revolvers get much more use and carry, so its not a huge jump in familiarity.

cosine
12-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Between my wife and I we have four Glock 19s and two Glock 26s (all SCD equipped, thanks Tom!). We each treat one as our individual training pistol, one as our individual carry pistol, and one as our individual backups. If something goes down with one pistol we still have four between the two of us with magazine and holster commonality. I think we're covered.

Pit
12-20-2016, 10:19 PM
One 5" Wilson 1911 as my duty weapon, one 5" Wilson 1911 in my SWAT call out bag, one 4" Wilson 1911 for off duty and one 4" Wilson as a spare/back up. Plus 2 J frames one for daily use on for a spare. And my lady wonders "Why do you need so many of the same gun?"

JW

CCT125US
12-20-2016, 10:22 PM
P30 v3 x 3
P30 v1 x 2
P2000 v2 x 2
P2000sk v2 x 1
45c v1 x 1

HK, because I suck and they hate me.

Hypothetically speaking and / or lost in the boating accident of 2016.

hufnagel
12-20-2016, 10:33 PM
I just wish more P30 9mm v3's would show up on the used market for stupid cheap prices. Daddy wants 2 more (just because.)

olstyn
12-20-2016, 11:20 PM

This is roughly where I'm at, except that I'm a special snowflake, so my guns say Walther on the slide rather than Glock. In the hopefully unlikely scenario of my P99c getting taken into an evidence locker, I'll just have to dress more carefully and carry the full-size P99 that normally gets used for USPSA until such time as I can either get my P99c back or acquire a new one. I fully acknowledge that it'd be better to have duplicates or triplicates of both, but dropping an extra $1K or $2K on 2 or 4 pistols that in all likelihood will see little to no use ever is just not budgetarily justifiable for me at this point.

FrankinCA
12-20-2016, 11:20 PM
I own two G26's, two Sig P239's and two Kahr K9's. minimum of ten magazines per gun.

Sero Sed Serio
12-20-2016, 11:23 PM
I'm a firm believer in spares. My preference is to have 4 copies of my primary guns: a dedicated carry, a dedicated trainer/dry-fire, a backup carry, and a backup trainer. My primary carry guns are P2000s and P229s in 9mm, and I have 4 of each. For niche guns, I have 2 of each (carry and trainer): P229 .357s for wilderness/long distance, Ruger LCP Customs for pocket carry, and a lonely P2000sk that will soon have a friend.

The SIGs were built up over time, and in no small part due to a tendency to drink and Gunbroker combined with an affinity for NIB pre-Cohen stainless slide SiGARMS-marked pistols; the HKs were a conscious decision where I listed out all the features I wanted in a gun, decided on the P2000, and bought a bunch in a short time. I then held tryouts--if any guns had had any issues, they would have become dedicated trainers; since none did, I went with the better triggers for the carry guns.

I also segregate my magazines--when a new mag comes in I inspect it, clean it, label it, and test it at the range. Two mags are kept loaded, with these mags cycled every 6 months, and (due to some concerns, alleviated as of Nov. 9) I have enough mags for my primaries to sustain this for at least 5 years before going back to the first mags in the set. Any mags that see high use or rough treatment are dedicated as range mags, which can be used and abused as needed for realistic training. Range mags that fail are either disposed of or refurbished, depending on the issue.

Another argument for duplicates is the ability to have a clean, lubed gun with fresh springs available during/after shooting. Here in Phoenix, I'm pretty sure every major range, even the good ones, have had a suicide and/or murder suicide in the last 10 years. Plus I just don't like being around strangers with guns and only having one myself that I keep running down to slide lock. Likewise, if I go to a class and run a thousand rounds through my gun, when I get done I unholster it at the car, drop it in the range bag, take out an identical version with carry ammo, drop it in the holster, and off I go.

Jay Cunningham
12-20-2016, 11:33 PM
I'm a firm believer in spares. My preference is to have 4 copies of my primary guns: a dedicated carry, a dedicated trainer/dry-fire, a backup carry, and a backup trainer.

VDM ain't got shit on you!

Chipster
12-20-2016, 11:35 PM
Glock 17 Gen4 x2
Glock 17 RTF2 x2
Glock 26 Gen4 x1
HK USP combat/competition x2

Various singular versions of a few others..... I need to get a couple of more RTF's before they go away!

Lomshek
12-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Not exactly that way yet but I own two identical base models and will be getting more as the budget allows. Only one's Apex'd out (S&W M&P) and by the time I tweak things the way I want and put good sights in it's an investment.

M2CattleCo
12-21-2016, 12:13 AM
I have spares.

My primary gun in life is a 9mm P239. Over the years I've accumulated five of 'em (alcohol and Gunbroker). My other pistol is a Glock 43, I have two of those.

Sero Sed Serio
12-21-2016, 12:14 AM
VDM ain't got shit on you!

I'll take "Words that can probably never be truthfully spoken in any other context" for 300, Alex?

Malamute
12-21-2016, 12:21 AM
It looks like Gunbroker should send bottles of booze to frequent fliers. :D

LockedBreech
12-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Im not the most high speed guy around, but, my take on "why spares", if involved in a situation and your carry gun is taken for evidence, the colleagues of the individual you disrespected may be interested in discussing the situation with you. It may be advisable to be armed at that moment. That moment may be after they follow you home from the disrespecting event and you were unaware of being followed. Buying a gun at night may not be practical. If theres a period of unrest, and you are assaulted and disarmed by the miscreants, gun shops may be closed by order of whoever orders such things until things cool off. There may be an issue with getting a pass on a background check if you are technically under investigation until the situation is settled. Your gun may be stolen. Your gun may be lost (natural disaster?). You may find yourself in a situation where somebody else you know and trust needs to be armed very badly right away. Guns break. Guns and ammo can be hard to get for market reasons, or at insanely inflated prices, even if temporarily.

How am I doing so far?

I may not have exact duplicates (not that I wouldn't like to), but have something that can fill in if need be. I still remember how to shoot a 1911 and a revolver. In real life for me, revolvers get much more use and carry, so its not a huge jump in familiarity.

That does make a degree of sense, but most of those situations are solved by the fact that I have a safe at home STUFFED full of guns. Natural disaster and immediately-after-event attack I don't have answers for, but wouldn't a natural disaster get your spare, too, unless you store it off-site?

spinmove_
12-21-2016, 07:25 AM
That does make a degree of sense, but most of those situations are solved by the fact that I have a safe at home STUFFED full of guns. Natural disaster and immediately-after-event attack I don't have answers for, but wouldn't a natural disaster get your spare, too, unless you store it off-site?

Depends on the disaster and how you store it. There's also firearms insurance for covering those types of events too. But yeah, I mean, if your Primary goes down and your secondary just happened to get washed away because of a flood then you're not exactly dealing with the greatest of situations. The chances of that though are pretty slim and wouldn't sway me from having a spare or two if other more probable events were to occur.

Beat Trash
12-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Mack, I've got a pretty good handle on mags for carry and training and keep them segregated and marked for such. (And a few that I may send to Glock someday for upgrade / replacement.)

I'm working on the duplicates as my in-town FFL mentioned the other day that he is getting set up to handle Glock Blue Label orders. Told him I'm good for two...another 19 and 26. If I get the order in this calendar year I have the option of ordering two more in 2017 should I be so inclined.

Thanks to all who have posted so far. Much appreciated.

Short answer is that I would do exactly as you mentioned.

To me, there is enough of a difference in the Glock 19 and the Glock 26 that I would want a spare G26 to train with.

Besides you can get all four guns through the Blue Label program for less than one decent 1911.

1slow
12-21-2016, 09:17 AM

A gun you order no matter how fast it arrives is not:
Vetted and tested to be reliable, zeroed etc...
In hand now.

Robinson
12-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Several 1911s when I used to carry 1911s are set up the same way by John Harrison.

Nice.

LockedBreech
12-21-2016, 09:29 AM
A gun you order no matter how fast it arrives is not:
Vetted and tested to be reliable, zeroed etc...
In hand now.

Fair enough!

OnionsAndDragons
12-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Carry p2000
Training p2000

Carry p30
Training p30

Carry guns have each been to a class and shot minimum of 300rds carry ammo. Now they stay lubed and in their homes.
I mainly train with the Training p2000. So the extra p30 is practically a secondary backup.

I also have a G19 ang G17k which have both been tested to carry standards, just in case.

deputyG23
12-21-2016, 10:26 AM
My primary carry guns are .40 Glocks since those are issued or authorized by my work. That being said, I have duplicates of my three personal .40 Glocks in 9mm. Secondary off duty carry is usually some sort of J frame .38.
My range toys are service size .38 sixguns, a Beretta 92 compact, and two finish challenged 1911s, a 1911A1 parts gun and a pre II series Kimber Classic Custom.
I will stay with Glock for my primary serious guns as long as my work does and I continue my career there.
If they change, there will be a lot of decisions to make.

Peally
12-21-2016, 10:43 AM
I don't got money for spares. I keep mine in a nice maintenance rotation and have other models if I really need to use something else.

Duelist
12-21-2016, 11:03 AM
If you have a safe stuffed full of guns, why *isn't* one of them a duplicate of your primary carry gun?

I'm not wealthy by any 1st world definition, but I've had a decent income for a while that has been pretty good to me, and I've been fortunate enough to accumulate some stuff. A while back, I was primarily carrying a 642, and had been for more than ten years. No spares, but there were other carry options in the safe. Stuff started going on closer to home, and I decided to get a packable gun that held more bullets and was faster to reload. Sold a range toy for the cash to go shopping, and then lucked into an excellent condition used gun I'd wanted for a long time, vetted it, and settled on it as my primary. Then, I traded another range toy for a more worn example - and actually carry that one most of the time now, with the nicer one in the safe as the spare.

This is the first time I've had two nearly identical guns. They happen to be S&W 3913s, but could easily have been Glock 19s or 26s or HK P2000s or whatever. It gives me a kind of settled state of mind I've never had, or known wasn't there before. It's not like having two pickups in your driveway (not that there's anything wrong with that) - a pair of identical pistols is doable if you decide to make it a priority. I could have spent a lot less and just gotten another 642, for example, if my budget were really that tight.

JAD
12-21-2016, 11:06 AM
I am mostly a 1911oid carrier. I don't have duplicates, per se, but I find very little curve in picking up any of them and shooting them; they're all set up basically the same way. If that level of deviation is accepted, I have a primary and five backups.

I have other guns I jack with and occasionally carry -- P7, P35, P30 at the moment, and then a carousel of Glocks. I haven't committed to any of them enough to buy a backup, which I guess says something.

Hi-Point Aficionado
12-21-2016, 12:22 PM
Not really. I had a Europellet spare to my Short & Weak USPc but my father dug it and I gave it to him. My fullsize isn't what I'd consider safe to carry (old timey fire control group with a match kit deactivated the hammer block) so that's out as a potential spare. I'll likely get another USPc and LEM it later down the road.

When I toted Glocks, I kept my 23 around as something of a spare to my 27.

rojocorsa
12-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Yes.

And with these new G conversion kits, life is about to get easier regarding picking up other used 92s.

Irelander
12-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Trolling Gunbroker now for a 2nd PPS Classic.

Robinson
12-21-2016, 01:38 PM
I am mostly a 1911oid carrier. I don't have duplicates, per se, but I find very little curve in picking up any of them and shooting them; they're all set up basically the same way. If that level of deviation is accepted, I have a primary and five backups.

That's the same reason I almost clicked 'Yes' on the poll but it would not have been technically correct I guess.

JAD
12-21-2016, 02:21 PM
That's the same reason I almost clicked 'Yes' on the poll but it would not have been technically correct I guess.

Didn't trouble me a bit. All my 1911s self identify as duplicates.

Chef
12-21-2016, 02:21 PM
I have several pistols and ancillary gear that if I ever needed to- I could switch to carrying one. G17/19/26 are so similar

Kirk
12-21-2016, 02:34 PM
I only buy 2 guys at a time, never just 1.

I haven't been able to shoot as much as I'd like the last 3 months, but when I learned my lesson 5 years ago when I was preparing for a match and my CZ Custom went down. I had no suitable secondary to continue training, so I have remedied that problem.

BCL
12-21-2016, 03:02 PM
I only buy 2 guys at a time, never just 1.

LOL, good to know I guess.

ssb
12-22-2016, 12:30 AM
I've got two G17s, a G26, a full set of key spare parts (pins, springs, extractor) and more Glock mags than I know what to do with. I'd like a second G26 for dedicated practice and such but the truth is that I don't carry it often enough to keep it loaded all the time so I'm not constantly loading/unloading it for dry fire. A benefit I like about two of the same gun is that I don't really have to unload my carry gun all that often. Tomorrow my Gadgets should arrive, and when I clear the gun to install a Gadget I think that'll be the first time I've unloaded it since October. For dry fire, the ability to just stick the carry gun in the safe, check the trainer (kept unloaded), and drive on gives me the warm fuzzies -- one less thing to go wrong.

Would prefer a second 642 to backup my current one for similar reasons but apparently I decided I needed a Model 10 instead, so I guess that'll have to wait.

taadski
12-22-2016, 01:54 AM
....and my CZ Custom went down.

No waaaaay!

;)

Surf
12-22-2016, 02:07 AM
I carry Glocks. I have a second residence that requires air travel and I usually fly between them with carry-ons only. Since I carry and train in both places it is necessary to have sets of sets of everything I own be it rifles, handguns, shotguns and all the gear that goes with each platform. The kids also have guns and gear that they use, so they are likewise equipped. So yes, a lot of redundancy here. At least that is how I justify things to my wife.

fixer
12-22-2016, 07:23 AM
I generally start with the "two is one, one is none" mantra but lately I'm more along the lines of 3 to 4.

I like having a total beater gun that gets all dry fire and live fire.
A competition gun that is a backup training/beater gun and a gun that I can exercise/jog with
A carry gun
A spare gun
Critical spare parts: springs, and locking blocks for 92s. Extractors and springs for Glocks.

hufnagel
12-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Here's an interesting question:

Do you/we consider a "duplicate" to include smaller or simliar variants of the same gun, that you shoot just as well and can use the same accessories and magazines, as your primary carry?

ex: P30, P30L, P2000SK... all 9mm, all v3.

Or should we use a more strict definition of "duplicate" in this scenario.

I tend to believe the former, as having practiced with the listed variants I shoot them (un?)equally as well.

spinmove_
12-22-2016, 08:25 AM

Do you/we consider a "duplicate" to include smaller or simliar variants of the same gun, that you shoot just as well and can use the same accessories and magazines, as your primary carry?

I tend to believe the former, as having practiced with the listed variants I shoot them (un?)equally as well.

I think that depends on if you would actually carry those other variants. Sure you could use any of them as a backup or spare for home defense, but would you carry one as well? It's the reason I answered "No" as I have a G17 and a G19, but I wouldn't necessarily carry the G17 as I haven't found a good way to conceal it yet.

I should probably work on that whole "lose weight" thing...

Robinson
12-22-2016, 08:36 AM

For me it's the former, and I should have answered Yes to the poll. I carried a Government Model prior to my current carry gun which is a Lightweight Commander. If that were to go down or become unavailable I could easily go back to carrying a 5" gun. Now that I'm confident in the Lwt Cmdr I will go back to using a full size steel gun for most of my practice shooting anyway. I also currently use a 5" gun for my HD weapon.

blues
12-22-2016, 09:24 AM

In the case of the Glock 26 and 19, I'd consider them more or less duplicate (except for the obvious difference in size).

My qualification scores are almost always within a point or two of each other...with the 26 usually coming out ahead for some reason. (That said, I'd never give up the 19.)

What worries me, after looking at the first couple of pages of Little Lebowski's thread on solutions to issues with the Gen 4's, is having to address a number of potential issues when I haven't had the slightest bit of trouble with the two Glocks I have owned since 1988 and 1996 respectively.

Maybe I should just stick with them and worry about duplicates (or even consider a switch of 9mm platform) down the road. Since I can carry either one as comfortably as the other, for the most part...if one goes down, I at least have the other.

(On the other hand, I have the funds to pay for duplicates right now from a private sale on another forum. Decisions, decisions.)

Duelist
12-22-2016, 09:31 AM
In the case of the Glock 26 and 19, I'd consider them more or less duplicate (except for the obvious difference in size).

My qualification scores are almost always within a point or two of each other...with the 26 usually coming out ahead for some reason. (That said, I'd never give up the 19.)

What worries me, after looking at the first couple of pages of Little Lebowski's thread on solutions to issues with the Gen 4's, is having to address a number of potential issues when I haven't had the slightest bit of trouble with the two Glocks I have owned since 1988 and 1996 respectively.

Maybe I should just stick with them and worry about duplicates (or even consider a switch of 9mm platform) down the road. Since I can carry either one as comfortably as the other, for the most part...if one goes down, I at least have the other.

(On the other hand, I have the funds to pay for duplicates right now from a private sale on another forum. Decisions, decisions.)

Or buy a used one of similar vintage, or a new 3rd gen.

Hambo
12-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Not exact duplicates, but full size Berettas that operate the same (F or G). No spare J frame though. I think it's worth it to not beat your carry gun to death with practice/training/classes. It's also a good plan if you carry something you can't buy in the next hour, like when I carried a P7. If I carried Glocks I wouldn't keep a bunch of them on hand, as there are more stores with Glocks than groceries within a five mile radius.

YVK
12-22-2016, 10:01 AM

I think it starts with the definition of "shooting just as well". I had the very exact lineup, 2000sk, P30x2, P30L. At some point I had this idea of making it 2000sk x3. With X-grip you get a full sized grip and can run 15 round mags. So I did some testing and inside of 7 yards I didn't see much of measurable difference; in fact, got some of my personal bests with 2000sk. However, it wasn't the case beyond 7 and especially at longer distances. So I can't say I shoot them just as well across a wider range of tasks. I still carry them interchangeably without any concerns but there are certain things I know I won't attempt with sk but might try with P30.

Flintsky
12-22-2016, 01:04 PM
I do keep two of my carry pistol. In the old days of Colonel Cooper(he recommended 3), the 1911 and other firearms of his era were less reliable and durable. So, you kept one to carry, one to train with, and one as a parts gun. With more modern designs and materials, I don't think that that way is necessarily relevant anymore. I do think it is wise to have a backup to your primary carry pistol in case it is lost/stolen, temporarily taken by police as part of a justified shooting, or in case of some sort of failure that prevents you from using the pistol until it is repaired/replaced. Never put all of your eggs in one basket, but don't go into debt to horde and prepare for unlikely scenarios(zombie apocalypse).

Malamute
12-22-2016, 01:07 PM
.... but don't go into debt to horde and prepare for unlikely scenarios(zombie apocalypse).

Wait wait wait,.. what about a bunny apocalypse (https://www.google.com/search?q=bunny+apocalypse&biw=1188&bih=546&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcica9sojRAhXFzVQKHWvrC5cQsAQILQ#tbm=is ch&q=australia+rabbit+plague)? That's a real thing, its happened before.

blues
12-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Wait wait wait,.. what about a bunny apocalypse (https://www.google.com/search?q=bunny+apocalypse&biw=1188&bih=546&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcica9sojRAhXFzVQKHWvrC5cQsAQILQ#tbm=is ch&q=australia+rabbit+plague)? That's a real thing, its happened before.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln5bjksyDD1qix6d4o1_500.gif

Malamute
12-22-2016, 02:13 PM
^^^ That too, but I didn't want to seem like an alarmist.

I had a rabbit assault me in my yard. True story. Full on ninja rabbit flying kick.

Kirk
12-22-2016, 02:14 PM
LOL, good to know I guess.

Lol! Just caught that.

Paul Sharp
12-22-2016, 02:15 PM
^^^ That too, but I didn't want to seem like an alarmist.

I had a rabbit assault me in my yard. True story. Full on ninja rabbit flying kick.

Please tell me you have video!!

Malamute
12-22-2016, 02:21 PM
No, I don't, but truly wish I had. Im in the habit of doing a walk-around of the place at dusk, skunk patrol and just enjoying the sunset and calm of the evening. The dog wanders about looking for bunnies in the sagebrush, and often finds some to chase, it seems like an agreement her and the bunnies have to keep each other in good shape. I was on my knees sitting on my heels just watching when the dog got a bunny up and going to my left, it had intended to run right where I was. It realized I was there about 15 feet away, but was going too fast to totally change direction. It did a mad leap in the air, impacting my left shoulder/chest, sort of bounced off my cheek, then amazingly regained its footing and continued around the corner of the fence and made cover with the dog in hot pursuit. I was laughing so hard I could hardly talk.

JohnK
12-22-2016, 08:00 PM
^^^^ That sounds like it had to be hysterical.

I voted in the poll but didn't comment... at least not that I recall. I often wonder if I should dispense with everything not HK and just get on the gas with training and competition instead of just spending a year on one, a year on another, and so on. I have duplicates, but just enough. I'm just thinking out loud here...

Cory
12-22-2016, 08:18 PM
I didnt vote.

I would like duplicates but dont have them. I only have the G17 but would like to be set up like this:
G17 gen4- Carry / Spare
G34 gen4- Carry / Competition
G34 gen4- Dry fire & Practice
G43 - Carry deep concealed

Honestly, I'd like a similar set up with Beretta 92s and a Px4s. Then i could use either set.

-Cory

Flintsky
12-23-2016, 08:11 AM

In case of bunny apocalypse, bring your bats!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI9lwE4hnAw

blues
12-23-2016, 09:01 AM
The duplicate advocates have pretty much been holding steady with about 80% of the vote.

(Not much of a surprise on this forum but interesting nonetheless.)

MichaelD
12-23-2016, 09:17 AM
I used to have a near-duplicate of my carry gun, an M&P9c, but sold it to my brother just before my wife and I bought our house a year ago. However, my Gestalt holster is sized to carry my full-size M&P9 which is set up identically to my 9c. I can switch between the two with a small penalty in concealability as one would expect.

Greg
12-23-2016, 10:53 AM
I used to have the collector mindset. Wanted one of everything.
Now I like the commonality of running what works for me and what I'm equipped to support.

Carry:
A bunch of G19s and G17s.

2 CZ P-07s (appendix)

1 G43 - I could get by without the G43.

I have other pistols that are carry worthy, but I don't train with them as carry guns.

Rex G
12-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Yes, as early as 1985, I had an HK P7 in my duty holster, and bought a spare P7. Yes, German firearms were relatively less-pricey in those days! I soon went through financially leaner times, and for a while only had one duty sixgun, one J-Snub, and one shotgun. I experimented with several Colt Commander-sized pistols in 1989-1991, with some overlap. Only one became a carry/duty pistol, briefly, and it is difficult to remember whether I had any spare Commanders during that time, though I had a full-sized Brazilian-origin Springfield. I resumed having duplicate and near-duplicate duty/carry revolvers in the early/mid-Nineties.

1997-2002 was a full-sized 1911 era, when I used one Kimber on patrol, one somewhat-finicky Kimber for training, one reliable Royal-Blued Colt Classic Government for dressier occasions, and tried others, settling upon a Thunder Ranch Special, as a favored personal-time carry gun.

A finicky training gun does teach one to be quite quick and reflexive in clearing malfunctions!

I bought two G22 pistols for duty carry in 2002. I bought a P229R DAK in 2004, for better fit and accuracy, and by 2006, had added a second P229, and more by 2008.

In late 2015, when I set aside .40 after my chief added 9mm to the approved duty cartridges, I qual'-ed with two G17 pistols and two G19 pistols. (.40 recoil was becoming a bit much for my aging hands, and I have only kept one P229, my first, for old times' sake.) I now have three G17 pistols, the same G19 pair, plus a G34 and G26.

I have two Les Baer 1911 pistols, one being the same as during my prior 1911 days. These are part of the carry team; I no longer maintain a one-system-only philosophy.

I have two Remington 870P shotguns. One has been my duty shotgun since 2002. One may become a designated slug gun, or I may add a Benelli for that role, if I do not retire first.

Glenn E. Meyer
12-24-2016, 05:41 PM
I have to come in on the close versions carry gun side of the debate. Meaning - a G17,19,26. Exact duplicates aren't the budget. So if I shoot the 17 at a match, the 19 is backup. If I shoot the 19, the 26 comes along. If I shoot the 26, the 19 comes along with a few mags for it. Three J frames but of different calibers.

I would like an extra 1911 but money talks. Other pleasures beckon.

CSW
12-25-2016, 07:02 AM
Am curious how many of you that conceal carry daily own backups of the same model firearms which you carry most.

For example, I carry a G19 or a 26 on a regular basis. Do you think it is a good policy to own a spare of each firearm? Would the age of the guns enter into the equation? Mine are 28 and 20 years old respectively.

Feel free to add your thoughts on why or why not if you are inclined to do so.

Thanks and don't forget to cast your vote above.

I voted yes;

When my EDC was the G17, I had a carry, a trainer and a HD 17, all set up identical.

In August of '16 I switched to the Walther P99as in 9mm, and have a carry and trainer set up identical to each other. The Walther fits my hand better, and my accuracy and times are both improving.
Looking to purchase the P99as compact in short time.

abu fitna
12-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Yes, not only duplicates of the primary carry choice but also others in same platform family, for both myself and wife (as we have similar but as always slightly different picks).

Not sure I can say it was entirely deliberate, but rather evolved from experimentation at the margins around some choices we had already liked well enough but wanted to try in a slightly different flavour. But gives a margin of confidence if one weapon might go down during a training class, or any of the other reasons one might need a spare.

Then again, I have have other similar enough choices in other manufacturers options that I could shift without concern also. Not so specialized I would only carry or shoot one option, as I still try to keep current with anything I might be called upon to teach upon occasion.

But if i were to do it again to save money and safe space it would be an easy consolidation.

Nephrology
12-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Yes - my 'primary carry pistol' is a Glock 19. Own a 3rd and 4th gen. Also own a 3rd and 4th gen G17 (game gun, winter carry gun respectively) and a gen 3 glock 26 too.

Eventually I want a second 4th gen G19 and another Glock 26 to round things out but not in a rush. Other fiscal priorities are pressing...

LostDuke
12-25-2016, 04:36 PM
I consider a G19 and a G26 duplicates for practical purposes. To me, two guns with identical manual of arms can serve the role of duplicates quite well. So, while I understand buying two 1911's, I don't see any need to fill the house with Glocks or identical Da/Sa's guns.

Lost River
12-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Primary carry guns are generally one of the following:

G19, G17, or 1911 plus a J Frame. In addition to that, fairly often I carry an N Frame .44 when out in the high desert, mountains, up at the cabin, etc.

Each one of these I have a duplicate of. That said, my primary G17 is a Gen 2, and the second is actually a Gen 1 that rarely gets shot.

While there are others that I have duplicates of, they are recreational guns, and I did not end up with multiple examples due to any thoughts of martial use, or possible seizures. I just simply like them. Like a couple of old Colt Woodsman .22s.

jeep45238
12-25-2016, 06:33 PM
Just ordered a second w German p226, so I'm in the 'have 2' camp now. Kind of glad for 0% interest right now!

richiecotite
12-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Call it OCD or just my background fixing expensive things for other people, but having spares or identical items to provide as a visual aid in repair/reassembly is more of a driving factor for me than worrying about my gun being stuck in an evidence locker.

I just recently picked up a second of my primary carry (m&p9c).

After disassembling my reliable edc to put in a new sear housing block and reassembly, I had a one shot, fte machine. Bought new recoil springs, new SHB, replaced the extractorand spent weeks trying to figure out what the problem was until I had them both disassembled and noticed the new one had something extra in there.

Turns out I forgot the ejector when I reassembled it. Took a month, $50 in spare parts to figure that one.

Corey
12-25-2016, 07:51 PM
I have a pair of M&P9 full size pistols with identical Apex triggers and Trijicon HD sights. They will soon both have Apex barrels as well. My third M&P is my gamer gun, a 5" Pro Series that is still stock.

Chuck Whitlock
12-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Getting there. My wonderful bride just gifted me a 2nd P250c. A CW9 and a K9 from the Kahr family. A DAO SP101. Seriously contemplating an LCR, but unsure if I should go .38 or 9mm. Although I'm drifting away from Glocks, my 2000 era G23 along with its 9mm conversion barrel is vetted and I have plenty of support gear on hand, which could be pressed back into service rather easily.