PDA

View Full Version : Any reason not to switch to vp9 from glock

Colby
12-20-2016, 01:26 PM
After doing some side by side shooting with my g19 and a vp9 I've decided I like the vp9 better. I'm pretty simplistic with my guns, not really a collecter. I currently have a g43 and a g19. Truth be told I carry the 43 way more often than the 19. I'm thinking of just getting a pair of vp9's and switching to that platform all together. Is there any reason to stay with the glocks?
Thanks
Colby

blues
12-20-2016, 01:34 PM
After doing some side by side shooting with my g19 and a vp9 I've decided I like the vp9 better. I'm pretty simplistic with my guns, not really a collecter. I currently have a g43 and a g19. Truth be told I carry the 43 way more often than the 19. I'm thinking of just getting a pair of vp9's and switching to that platform all together. Is there any reason to stay with the glocks?
Thanks
Colby

Have you tried the PPQ? My local FFL in town says he prefers it to the VP9 for its trigger. I haven't fired either one but was admiring the VP9 and PPQ in the shop the other day. (I'm pretty content with my Glocks so don't want to start going down a new road, myself.)

spinmove_
12-20-2016, 01:40 PM
By what metrics and/or reasons do you like the VP9 over the G19?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

FPS
12-20-2016, 01:42 PM
I have a PPQ and VP9 and recently sold my Glock 19. I like the VP9 the best and would not hesitate to switch over. I didnt think anything could beat the PPQ until I shot the VP9. Very smooth gun and doesnt have the muzzle flip issues of the PPQ. More enjoyable gun to shoot for me. YMMV.

blues
12-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Strong endorsement, FPS. I may have to take my dealer up on his offer to borrow one of his and try it out. But then, do I really want to? Only trouble lies down that road.

OnionsAndDragons
12-20-2016, 01:55 PM
By what metrics and/or reasons do you like the VP9 over the G19?

Definitely need the answer to this question. I find the G19 easier to conceal by a bit, but not enough to condemn the VP9 if there were say logistical reasons to pick it.

Have you tried the PPQ? My local FFL in town says he prefers it to the VP9 for its trigger. I haven't fired either one but was admiring the VP9 and PPQ in the shop the other day. (I'm pretty content with my Glocks so don't want to start going down a new road, myself.)

In all honesty, I like the PPQ better from a safety and shooting standpoint. The trigger is slightly lighter on my example vs my VP9, but the trigger travel is much longer. I find that the sights track just a bit better in recoil as well, though that may be something that could be evened up through springing the VP differently?

I'm getting rid of my PPQ, though, for logistical reasons. The VP9 shares magazines that work in my other weapons (p2000s and p30s), while the PPQ mags are just PPQ mags.

The only serious reason to stay with the Glocks if you are not invested in a platform solution (26+19+17 style) is that Glocks have best in class sight availability and random supply support like RDS mounts, etc.

MVS
12-20-2016, 02:03 PM
I tried a VP9 for a few months and then got rid of it. It was a fine gun but did nothing for me my Glocks don't do. The deciding factor was my thumbs forward grip and the ambi slide release. Shooting how I normally do, left handed, I would ride it and the slide would not lock back. I decided I didn't want to retrain my grip for a gun the didn't seem in any measurable way better than what I was already using.

spinmove_
12-20-2016, 02:37 PM
The only serious reason to stay with the Glocks if you are not invested in a platform solution (26+19+17 style) is that Glocks have best in class sight availability and random supply support like RDS mounts, etc.

This and spare parts and magazine price and availability. I think most sight setups can largely work pretty well, but inexpensive magazines and plentiful spare parts options can be handy as well.

If you're shooting demonstrably well with the VP9 over the G19, that might be one thing, but the above reasons and your ability to carry that new platform should also enter into consideration as well.

Appalachained
12-20-2016, 02:39 PM
I've had both the VP9 and the PPQ. I prefer the PPQ out of the Two. Both are bigger than the G19 though which is why I still carry a G19. I've got my eye on the new CZ P10c. It fits in a G19 holster.

DocSabo40
12-20-2016, 02:42 PM
I would avoid the VP9 if you like to tinker with things. They are, dare I say, perfect from the factory. My sample of two is anyway. One of the many things I like is how they left just a little bit of room in the mag to allow a fully loaded mag to easily seat. It seats like a G19 mag with 13 rounds in it.

TAZ
12-20-2016, 03:12 PM
The VP9 is put together like a Swiss watch. I tinkered with my HK45 once and really was worried about having left over parts. [emoji12]. The VP9 does not need a lot of tinkering, aside from maybe sights.

The VP9 is a great gun. Incredible ergonomics, reliability and accuracy. IMO it's probably a better comparison to the G17 than the G19. For me the G19 is far more concealable than the VP9. Still have 2 of them and my wife enjoys shooting it.

I've moved to the 19MOS simply cause it's easier to conceal and I wanted to try an optic since my eyes are fading FAST.

BobLoblaw
12-20-2016, 03:45 PM
VP9 Gadget does not exist.

I shoot the VP9 better (>25 yds. and low prob are where it shines) and don't think anyone would argue against the point that HK mags are more trustworthy than Glock mags. Concealment is a wash vs the 19 for me if they both ride in a George, maybe even favoring the VP9 due to the grip shape and rounded corners on the rear portion of the slide. I'll have a DSG for the VP9 soon and that will give me a better idea if it's universal for me or holster-specific. FWIW, the JMCK George for the VP9 is my favorite holster from Tony. Concealing a Glock is more difficult for me as belt tension needs to be perfect. The amount of tuck teeters on either printing the corner of the slide or the corner of the mag.

okie john
12-20-2016, 04:18 PM
The VP9 is a great gun. Incredible ergonomics, reliability and accuracy. IMO it's probably a better comparison to the G17 than the G19. For me the G19 is far more concealable than the VP9.

This. I love the VP9, but it's too big for me to conceal well.

Okie John

DAB
12-20-2016, 05:40 PM
about a year and a half ago i was at the range practicing with my VP9. took a break, wandered to the next bay to see what he was shooting. we compared notes and i offered to let him shoot my VP9. he loved it. a month later he had his own. fast forward to last month, we had become shooting buddies, so we met at the range for a practice session (ran the new IDPA classifier for fun). he shot it both with his G19 and his VP9. he discovered, to his surprise, that he shot the VP9 better. well, the targets don't lie, you shoot that one better. carry it and compete with it then.

if you shoot it better, then that should be the driving force in your decision.

FPS
12-20-2016, 06:19 PM
Concur with the size comparison to the Glock 17. However, for me at least, the PPQ and VP9 carry more comfortably due to the shape of the slide. I could never carry the G19 comfortably no matter how I adjusted and contorted my MTAC holster to try and make it work. Other people can. Preference/"not all our bodies are the same" issue.

Some people shoot Glock 19s extremely well. Not me. I don't know why. The gun was very soft shooting, I liked the factory night sights, but there was just something about it that didn't fit my hand comfortably and I kept trying to make adjustments to make it work for me since it works so well for others. But when you can pick up a PPQ or a VP9 and immediately shrink your group sizes by 50-100% (no joke), it just doesn't make sense to keep working at a gun that makes you frustrated just because other people endorse it.

Good quality handguns, which all 3 of these are, come down to preference and meeting your needs IMO. I also wouldn't take the subjective ("I just like it better") factor out of it either. If a gun gives you more enjoyment to shoot, to me that should play into your decision if all the other major issues line up. I wanted to enjoy the Glock 19 but just couldn't, therefore it had to go to someone else who decided it was a better fit for them. Great gun and I would never bad mouth it just because it wasn't the right fit for me.

Kyle Reese
12-20-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm currently shooting a VP 9 off duty, and 750 rounds in, I'm impressed with it. I've also got a Walther PPQ M1, and I think that the VP is a superior handgun in terms of accuracy, engaging low prob targets quickly and overall handling. The VP will be a keeper, should it pass muster for the next 5,000 rounds. The PPQ is being offered for sale after Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary1911A1
12-20-2016, 06:36 PM
As Spinmove_ said the magazines for the VP9 are more expensive, but are well made. There's a saying on other forums something to the effect "In a world full of spare parts Glocks, In a world without spare parts HK".

pangloss
12-20-2016, 06:45 PM
You could wait a couple or three months (hopefully) and consider the CZ P-10C. It'll supposedly fit Glock 19 holsters.

LittleLebowski
12-20-2016, 07:06 PM
VP9 Gadget does not exist.

Dr. No
12-20-2016, 07:19 PM
You should get and shoot what you like best. They're both 9mm guns of about the same size (19/VP) and both have a reputation for reliability.

IMO, The HK will get the nod for accuracy advantage and the trigger isn't garbage like on a glock. You can also adjust the grip sizes to fit yourself better.

45dotACP
12-20-2016, 07:24 PM
The mag release will take some getting used to...Not a deal breaker by any means, but when I shot a VP9 alongside my Glock, the difference in performance wasn't there.

A question:. What metrics do you use to define "better"? 25 yard slow fire? 25 yard Bill Drills? 7 yard Bill Drills? El Prez scores? Considerably higher hit factors on USPSA classifiers?

Ergonomics are no contest, a VP9 will be more comfortable, possibly more accurate, but is gunhandling equal or better? Reloads, draws, transitions all equal or better?

I've started to fall very heavily into the "one platform for all serious things" camp and be okay with the occasional "fun gun" or "utilitarian gun" (such as a hunting arm). If you're already a very high level shooter it may not matter...If you are not, it may retard your growth. Switching guns should be carefully done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JBP55
12-20-2016, 07:50 PM
As Spinmove_ said the magazines for the VP9 are more expensive, but are well made. There's a saying on other forums something to the effect "In a world full of spare parts Glocks, In a world without spare parts HK".

True, until they go under water. My house took on 36" of water in August (No Flood Insurance) with a large amount of firearm related products being under water for days. All the loaded Glock magazines worked and None of the VP 9 magazines worked when removed from the water. I then cleaned all the magazines and tried them again with All Glock magazines working 100% and several of the VP 9 magazines failing to feed. All the Glock magazines had a few rust spots and All the VP 9 magazines have very rusty springs as well as a few rust spots on the magazines.
I am considering asking HK if they could possibly replace the VP 9 magazines under warranty.

Doc_Glock
12-20-2016, 09:35 PM
I agree with most posts here. I will add: VP9 has a fully cocked striker. Glock does not, if that matters to you. I doubt you will shoot one or the other significantly better. I know I don't.

JohnO
12-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Strong endorsement, FPS. I may have to take my dealer up on his offer to borrow one of his and try it out. But then, do I really want to? Only trouble lies down that road.

I totally agree about what lies down those roads. Generally I refuse when people offer; "Would you like to try this"? Not traveling those roads has saved me quite a few bucks.

blues
12-20-2016, 10:28 PM
I totally agree about what lies down those roads. Generally I refuse when people offer; "Would you like to try this"? Not traveling those roads has saved me quite a few bucks.

You and me both.

YVK
12-20-2016, 11:27 PM
I will switch from Glock to VP9 as soon as there is a VP9 Gadget, and VP43, VP26, VP19 and VP34 are available, and I can replace every part myself, and I can play with different internal setups as I wish, and I am not limited to a VP40 recoil spring in a 9mm pistol that's already oversprung, and I can feed any ammo without concerns for factory warranty and reliability, and GJM tells me that dropping a mag in a dust won't cause a failure to return into a battery. 'Cause otherwise I like VP9; seems like easier to press the trigger straight back than on a Glock.

BJXDS
12-20-2016, 11:35 PM
The best reason I can think of for you to stay with the Glocks; is, The Gadget, if everything else about them suits your needs.
Why do you carry the 43 way more often than the 19? If it is because of size then the VP9 and PPQ are larger. I think most will agree both the VP9 and PPQ have better triggers and far less BTF issues than the G19. The perfect gun for me would probably be a PPQ with Pro idots and a gadget, but that;s like a Unicorn.

You really can't go wrong with any of the three, they are all fine firearms I think it boils down to personal preference. I would buy 2 of what I carry and train the most with that.

SecondsCount
12-21-2016, 12:49 AM
The Glock will always have an edge in part and aftermarket support by a huge margin.

That being said, when I get done shooting a G19 I feel like I just used an old Crescent wrench but the VP9 is like driving a German car...very smooth and relaxing to shoot.

breakingtime91
12-21-2016, 01:17 AM
Vp9 sucked in Military Arms Channel tests. Repeatedly. It also doesn't have a gadget.

flux
12-21-2016, 02:55 AM
Why do people still run Glocks when there's SIGs,HKs and Berretas available. What's the appeal.. just don't get it myself and yet I carry a Glock. Don't we end up paying the same amount by the time we done with sights, trigger bits etc. as we would have for an HK.

Beat Trash
12-21-2016, 07:13 AM
I bought a VP9 soon after they were introduced. It's my favorite 9mm to bounce beer cans around with when shooting with my kids. But I carry an issued M&P9 at work and a Glock 19 gen4 when off duty. For me, the Glock 19 conceals better on my build. In a year or two when I retire, the M&P9 will also be retired as far as I'm concerned. That will leave me with Glock 19's.

When shooting slowly and at distance, I'm slightly more accurate with the VP9 than with the Gen4 Glock 19. When I try to pick up the speed, that's when the wheels fall off of my VP9. I'm faster with both my M&P9's and my Glock 19's than I am with my VP9.

I waited in anticipation last year for a VP9sk to be announced at SHOT. Still waiting. Now it's the end of 2016 and the new VP9's are shipping with 40 caliber recoil springs. And still no VP9sk...

I don't plan on selling off my one and only VP9. But I don't see myself buying any more of them.

spinmove_
12-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Why do people still run Glocks when there's SIGs,HKs and Berretas available. What's the appeal.. just don't get it myself and yet I carry a Glock. Don't we end up paying the same amount by the time we done with sights, trigger bits etc. as we would have for an HK.

Well, honestly, trigger bits simply need to be left alone. I have yet to try a trigger parts combo in a Glock that gives me a euphoric and holy experience. The best trigger job you can do to a Glock is to simply shoot it. Most other triggers in more modern SFA pistols are pretty damn good. Most DA/SA guns have pretty good triggers out of the box. I find that if I simply stop thinking that the trigger is holding me back I generally shoot any given trigger about the same.

Sights, even on an HK, will generally need to be changed based on what works for the shooter. Most sights that come on guns, except for Glocks, are generally serviceable. But how often do people on P-F stick with stock manufacturer sights on any guns? I'd be willing to guess not many.

Then there's your spare parts and support equipment (belts, holsters, lights, etc.). Those cost generally the same as well, so no huge difference there.

Your biggest change in cost is going to be your magazines. That's simply a fact you'll have to deal with.

So yeah, you could just jump straight to an HK and knock out some of the miscellaneous knick knacks, but you could get away just fine with running a Glock or a P320 essentially stock (sans sights) and be good to go and save some money.

If you're a shooter though, your biggest cost is ammo. If you're not, then what does it ultimately matter?

Appalachained
12-21-2016, 07:34 AM
When shooting slowly and at distance, I'm slightly more accurate with the VP9 than with the Gen4 Glock 19. When I try to pick up the speed, that's when the wheels fall off of my VP9. I'm faster with both my M&P9's and my Glock 19's than I am with my VP9.

This was my experience. Also the G19 is far easier to conceal with my body type and lighter too.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161221/fca9241a4bebf8eea5ae6720ab1f6f33.jpg

David S.
12-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Why do you carry the 43 way more often than the 19? If it is because of size then the VP9 and PPQ are larger.

My thoughts exactly. I assume you carry the 43 "way more" because of it's size and convenience, and the 26 isn't quite small enough. While I can see a VP9sk (Glock 26 size) in the eventual future, I doubt you'll ever see H&K produce anything in the Glock 43 size.

Is there any reason not to run a Glock 43 and VP9? Both striker triggers? Biggest difference is the mag release.

Kanati
12-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks
Colby

I was in a similar boat. Due to some NPE (social for the most part) concerns, I've been carrying my G43 a lot, probably more than my G19. If you want to change but stay smaller, I'd highly recommend that you check out a PPS M2. To me, the M2 shoots and handles bigger than it is, where the G43 shoots and feels like a small gun.

Dagga Boy
12-21-2016, 09:34 AM
I changed from the Glock to HK's in 9mm and have not regretted it at all. For AIWB carry I use a LEM gun (the Hk with a factory gadget and I trigger I prefer for that carry method) for everything else, a VP9. I do things with 10,000 rounds through a VP9 that I couldn't do with 250,000 rounds through Glock 9's for whatever that is worth. Ergonomically, they are near perfect for me. Other people like other things. If you like to totally self maintain, have flood issues where your gun is under water a lot, or need something totally disposable, then Glock is my choice in those cases. I find most tinkerers make things worse. If you like YouTube gunsmithing...get a Glock.

flux
12-21-2016, 09:47 AM
I changed from the Glock to HK's in 9mm and have not regretted it at all. For AIWB carry I use a LEM gun (the Hk with a factory gadget and I trigger I prefer for that carry method) for everything else, a VP9. I do things with 10,000 rounds through a VP9 that I couldn't do with 250,000 rounds through Glock 9's for whatever that is worth. Ergonomically, they are near perfect for me. Other people like other things. If you like to totally self maintain, have flood issues where your gun is under water a lot, or need something totally disposable, then Glock is my choice in those cases. I find most tinkerers make things worse. If you like YouTube gunsmithing...get a Glock.

Spending some time with aP320 lately has been giving me a similar experience. I'm beginning to consider changing over. Trying to get over the extra expenses involved.

blues
12-21-2016, 09:51 AM

No. But I'm obviously an anomaly. I have the OEM sights. The NY trigger was installed by the agency armorer. (It was mandatory for issued and personally owned and carried Glocks.) So except for purchasing extra (less expensive) magazines and a couple of recoil springs over the years, my costs are essentially zilch in terms of cost of ownership.

I love my Glocks and can think of no handgun I would rather have if I knew I was going into a firefight. (I'm not speaking caliber here, I'm speaking gun reliability and the simple manual of arms.)

(That said, I don't for a minute doubt that I'd enjoy shooting the HK or Walthers in the same category.)

Edited to add:

I forgot to add that I have a $65 expense for each gun as a result of having ordered "The Gadget". Didn't want to appear like I was being less than truthful. ;)

pew_pew
12-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Do it. But keep the 43 for carrying.

Tango
12-21-2016, 11:37 AM
I carry a Glock 17 for work. It is my tool of choice off the list of approved weapons. The VP9 and P30 are not on the list. IF they were on the list, I'd transition in a heartbeat. Had a chance to shoot a VP9 at work alongside the G17. The ergonomics of the VP9 make you realize all you are missing when using a G17, 19 or any other Gaston creation.

If you have a choice to carry what you want, I'd carry the HK.

blues
12-21-2016, 11:41 AM
I carry a Glock 17 for work. It is my tool of choice off the list of approved weapons. The VP9 and P30 are not on the list. IF they were on the list, I'd transition in a heartbeat. Had a chance to shoot a VP9 at work alongside the G17. The ergonomics of the VP9 make you realize all you are missing when using a G17, 19 or any other Gaston creation.

If you have a choice to carry what you want, I'd carry the HK.

Not that I'm buying one but does the VP9 come with different grip options? The swell felt a bit extreme to me given my years with a Glock. On the other hand, the Walther PPQ didn't feel as "foreign". I'm not sure if that is something I would adjust to if it couldn't be modified simply.

FPS
12-21-2016, 11:44 AM
The VP9 comes with backstrap and palm swell changes in 3 sizes. I still like the PPQ grip a bit better (could use better texture but that shape is incredible).

blues
12-21-2016, 11:44 AM
The VP9 comes with backstrap and palm swell changes in 3 sizes. I still like the PPQ grip a bit better (could use better texture but that shape is incredible).

Thank you.

Wondering Beard
12-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Not that I'm buying one but does the VP9 come with different grip options? The swell felt a bit extreme to me given my years with a Glock. On the other hand, the Walther PPQ didn't feel as "foreign". I'm not sure if that is something I would adjust to if it couldn't be modified simply.

It does have different grip panels but they don't quite do the same things that the Glock ones do. the trigger reach does not change in the HK as the backstrap just pushes your palm further out only and no changes where the web of your hand would meet the tang. It's a bit of a weird feeling.

When I got my VP9, I didn't like the medium backstrap as it felt as if it was digging into my palm and kept my hand lower on the gun. I put the large one on (I have large hands) and it was better in terms of feel but still made me feel low on the gun. I finally went with the small backstrap and things went much better all around. Still, the ergos don't work for me quite as well as those of a Glock, so that's what I stay with.

The PPQ I coonfingered at the LGS felt slippery but fit my hand better.

It's an individual thing.

JonInWA
12-21-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm running both Glocks and HKs-Glock G17/19/21/22/34, and HK VP40 and P30L V1 (light LEM). I go into the HKs as a .40 cal thing, and as comparison pieces to to Gen4 G22.

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. While the HKs are certainly more "tailorable," the Glocks are not a hardship to adjust and adapt to, although for me the hardest relatively speaking is with my large-frame Gen3 G21.

While HKs have arguably higher component and finish quality, Glock's are certainly more than adequate, and most have stood the vigors of use and service quite well.

I would counsel going with whichever one you index and shoot best with. One caveat-the VP triggerpull is both light and short (and with a short, crisp discernible reset point), which is superb for pure shootability, but may be a concern to an extent for threat management situations. In that respect, Glock triggerpull characteristics are more tuneable as appropriate for your use, with both a plethora of OEM and after-market components.

Alternatively, HK has several LEM trigger options for their hammer-fired guns, which can provide a light, consistant triggerpull, but with a greater triggerpull distance and a "wall" at the trigger break point.

Best, Jon

David S.
12-21-2016, 12:54 PM

All gear innovations start with Glock and may trickle down to other models.

Sights are the biggest issue for me.
Sight options for Glock: Dozens. Hundreds if you start mixing and matching.
Sight options for anything else are very limited. a couple here and there. HK LEM, for instance, I can do Meps, HD's, Dawsons and a couple others.

Other gear, like holsters, are no longer a limitation with all the custom builders, like JMCK, DSG and JRC.

Isaac
12-21-2016, 12:56 PM
My answer: cheaper mags, more platforms (26/19/17/34), aftermarket parts/holsters/sights, can fix yourself, 33 rd mags, good CS too, IME.

RJ
12-21-2016, 01:55 PM
This was my experience. Also the G19 is far easier to conceal with my body type and lighter too.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161221/fca9241a4bebf8eea5ae6720ab1f6f33.jpg

This is a great picture. I've never been sure why a VP9 (and I own one) is compared to a G19, in terms of size. This shot shows it perfectly. As I've learned in my scant two-years experience in firearms, for me, the butt length and weight of the pistol is much, much more high on my list of dimensional attributes than it was when I started.

I'd highly recommend that you check out a PPS M2. To me, the M2 shoots and handles bigger than it is, where the G43 shoots and feels like a small gun.

This was very similar to my experience. The PPS M2 is a fantastic shooter, comfortable, reliable and accurate. The only reason I sold mine was that mag capacity (6/7/8) was kind of low, relative to the weight of the pistol, for carry. But I really did like it a lot.

The rental G43 I shot just felt really really squirmy.