PDA

View Full Version : Russian Ambassador to Turkey assassinated.

TheNewbie
12-19-2016, 01:37 PM
It's an interesting time to live. That's not always a good thing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/12/19/russian-ambassador-to-turkey-shot-in-ankara.html

BaiHu
12-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Should be video of the shot here. Not gory: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/19/europe/turkey-russian-ambassador-shot/
Jump to the 49 second mark.

farscott
12-19-2016, 01:52 PM
I cannot see how this incident will make the Russian-Turkish relationship any better. On top of this, there has been a shooting outside an "Islamic center" in Zurich. Interesting to see if any linkages develop as the investigations unfold.

Jeep
12-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Turkey is very much a "not good place" to be these days. With Erdogan's fights against the Kurds, Syria & Russia (possibly reconciled), and his perceived betrayal of ISIS; the semi-civil war against the Gulenists and his continuing desire to reclaim the Caliphate for Turkey (and probably himself), there are a lot of people trying to wage symmetric warfare in that country, and there is always a decent chance that Erdogan's own intelligence service might be sponsoring some of the terrorism going on.

TAZ
12-19-2016, 02:02 PM
Turkish cop to boot. Ranting about Aleppo and Syria.

I'm sure the guy was pissed about some YouTube video and isn't a terrorist.

TheNewbie
12-19-2016, 02:12 PM

This sounds familiar.

Gray222
12-19-2016, 02:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ru2p1en.jpg

Seriously though... Assassinating ambassadors is a surefire way of getting your country on a very short shitlist.

Jeep
12-19-2016, 02:17 PM

That was a cop? Erdogan had better be very careful about the internal propaganda he is spreading if it is causing his police to lose their heads.

The whole thing has disturbing echos of Japan in the 1930's.

BehindBlueI's
12-19-2016, 02:19 PM

Terrorist? No casualties other than the Russian ambassador. Then, you know, the whole "remember Syria" thing he had going for him. Sounds like an assassin with a motive based in Russian acts in Syria, not a terrorist.

TheNewbie
12-19-2016, 02:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ru2p1en.jpg

Seriously though... Assassinating ambassadors is a surefire way of getting your country on a very short shitlist.

That is hilarious!

Peally
12-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Turkey is fucked up, and so is Russia. Not really surprised.

Don't diplomats have armed guards? I sure as hell would visiting a place like Turkey.

TR675
12-19-2016, 02:45 PM
I'm sure he does (although they were nowhere to be seen in that video), but green on blue is hard to guard against.

alohadoug
12-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Reports are the officer was part of the Host Nation Security Detail.

US Embassy Ankara has tweeted that it is on lock-down and US Citizens should avoid the area due to "ongoing security incident." Turkish/British media reports shots fired IVO Embassy.

Oh and here's the issue sidearm of the Turkish Police....from the stills I've seen I suspect this is what he used.

http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en/catalog/product/ST10/13/57

Dagga Boy
12-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Turkey is fucked up, and so is Russia. Not really surprised.

Don't diplomats have armed guards? I sure as hell would visiting a place like Turkey.

I think that was his armed guard that shot him....so much for using host security. Add an ambassador shot to shooting a plane down and this could be popcorn worthy.

TheNewbie
12-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Reports are the officer was part of the Host Nation Security Detail.

US Embassy Ankara has tweeted that it is on lock-down and US Citizens should avoid the area due to "ongoing security incident." Turkish/British media reports shots fired IVO Embassy.

Oh and here's the issue sidearm of the Turkish Police....from the stills I've seen I suspect this is what he used.

http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en/catalog/product/ST10/13/57

So the assassin preferred hammer fired guns for aiwb purposes?

BaiHu
12-19-2016, 03:14 PM
Connected??
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/12/19/report-truck-drives-into-crowded-christmas-market-in-berlin.html

alohadoug
12-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Might be wrong...

If some can screenshot the video in the Washington Post article (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/gunfire-wounds-russian-ambassador-in-turkey-reports-say/2016/12/19/ae32d1c8-c608-11e6-85b5-76616a33048d_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_turkeyrussia-1155a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.411e2520bec4) starting about the 45 second mark, there are some good shots of the pistol in his hand.

Might be this (http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en/catalog/product/ST9/13/56)instead...

BaiHu
12-19-2016, 03:44 PM
Connected??
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/12/19/report-truck-drives-into-crowded-christmas-market-in-berlin.html

Looking like 9 dead and 50 injured at this time: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/12/19/report-truck-drives-into-crowded-christmas-market-in-berlin.html?refresh=true

Meanwhile Obama is hard at work burning and shredding the past 8 years? http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/19/obama-announces-record-wave-pardons-commutations.html

Irelander
12-19-2016, 03:45 PM
The barrel of the gun he used looks to be silver. Neither of the guns posted so far have silver colored barrels.

BaiHu
12-19-2016, 03:49 PM
The barrel of the gun he used looks to be silver. Neither of the guns posted so far have silver colored barrels.

It's a Glock with a stainless steel polished barrel. Everyone knows you have to change the barrel out :D

alohadoug
12-19-2016, 03:53 PM

Damn. Good point. Got me then. :D

Duelist
12-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Terrorist? No casualties other than the Russian ambassador. Then, you know, the whole "remember Syria" thing he had going for him. Sounds like an assassin with a motive based in Russian acts in Syria, not a terrorist.

Exactly. This guy was focused.

RJ
12-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Exactly. This guy was focused.

You aren't thinking 'God is great' in Arabic might be an indication?

Ok; I'll agree he was focused. I'll say not 'terra' as in planes flying into buildings, but definitely politically motivated.

RJ
12-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Connected??

I'm not seeing a connection...rather a very unhappy coincidence.

Getting reports the asshole driving the truck had been apprehended.

AMC
12-19-2016, 04:02 PM

Methinks this enters into "distinction without a difference" territory. His reported statements of "We die there, you die here" are instructive. The "we" certainly didn't mean Turks in this instance. This certainly seems like a violent act meant to intimidate a government of civilian population into changing policy.....or just revenge plain and simple, by killing a symbolic target. The "we" in this instance almost certainly refers to co-religionists. Messy and unpleasant for everyone involved, but also the most likely motivator by far.

RJ
12-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Methinks this enters into "distinction without a difference" territory. His reported statements of "We die there, you die here" are instructive. The "we" certainly didn't mean Turks in this instance. This certainly seems like a violent act meant to intimidate a government of civilian population into changing policy.....or just revenge plain and simple, by killing a symbolic target. The "we" in this instance almost certainly refers to co-religionists. Messy and unpleasant for everyone involved, but also the most likely motivator by far.

Like maybe the dude has family in Aleppo? I could see that.

But damn, shot by your own in-country security detail...wow...going to be a game changer for Russian diplomatic security for sure. I mean, besides whatever Putin decides to do.

Black Sea is going to be an interesting place to watch. Not sure these days what assets Russia maintains at Novorossiysk or Sevastopol.

AMC
12-19-2016, 04:39 PM
When I referred to "revenge" I was not thinking of "personal" motives, like family. This was a Turk.....unlikely that he had family in Allepo. And who were the Russkies targeting there? Hmmmmm......at this point it may turn out to be an unusual incident with an unknown motivation. Or it could be exactly what it appears to be.

BaiHu
12-19-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm not seeing a connection...rather a very unhappy coincidence.

Getting reports the asshole driving the truck had been apprehended.
I don't believe in terroristic coincidences, but I also don't believe I "know", just hypothesizing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chance
12-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Did the Russians keep Hillary out of office so they could bring her on as their secretary of state?

BehindBlueI's
12-19-2016, 04:59 PM
You aren't thinking 'God is great' in Arabic might be an indication?

No. You can get a "God is great" if the waiter is fast with your dinner in the Mid East. I get it's tied to terrorism in the Western mind, but it's a ubiquitous phrase with no particular connotations in the ME. Much like "Thank God" in the Western world, it doesn't even necessarily indicate the person is particularly religious.

Except Aleppo was specifically mentioned.

When I referred to "revenge" I was not thinking of "personal" motives, like family. This was a Turk.....unlikely that he had family in Allepo. And who were the Russkies targeting there? Hmmmmm......at this point it may turn out to be an unusual incident with an unknown motivation. Or it could be exactly what it appears to be.

I don't know if he's a Turk or not. I also don't know if Turkey is closer to Jordan, where only natives are recruited for police (not true until a few decades ago, but the way it is now) or Qatar where almost no "rank and file" police are natives. That said, it's not far fetched at all to have friends or family in Aleppo. The countries are geographically small and there's a lot of immigration for work. My father-in-law lived in Jordan, Kuwait, and Qatar over the years. When I was in Jordan the first time, there were long range taxis that would take you to Damascus. There's a lot of connection, or was before ISIS. Even now, I've got in-laws in Saudi, Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar and they are all on Jordanian passports.

Kirk
12-19-2016, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=BehindBlueI's;538713]No. You can get a "God is great" if the waiter is fast with your dinner in the Mid East. I get it's tied to terrorism in the Western mind, but it's a ubiquitous phrase with no particular connotations in the ME. Much like "Thank God" in the Western world, it doesn't even necessarily indicate the person is particularly religious[\QUOTE]

This. When 95% of the population is Muslim, you are going to get Allahu Akbar chants when the coffee is especially good that morning.

Wondering Beard
12-19-2016, 05:40 PM
This was a Turk.....unlikely that he had family in Allepo.

Aleppo is real close to the border and there is a Turkmen minority in Syria which has been fighting against Assad. Having Turks in Aleppo wouldn't be in the least surprising. Add to that, the fact that the majority of the"rebels" in Aleppo were Jihadist types (Al Nusra Front and the like) of the Sunni persuasion (Assad is Alawite, a Shia "spin off"; Syria always had strong non Sunni minorities - Shia, Christian, Druze etc..- which because of the Jihadist domination of the rebellion have ended up with Assad even if they don't like him) and you can easily have a mixture of motives. The situation in Syria is quite complex and only one part of it is a religious war.

CCT125US
12-19-2016, 06:33 PM
So the assassin preferred hammer fired guns for aiwb purposes?

Must have been >35.

TAZ
12-19-2016, 08:48 PM

An assassin can be a terrorist. At this stage he has not been shown to be a state actor, used violence to make political/religious statements (Aloha snackbar, We die in Aleppo you die here...) Just cause he didnt blow himself and a bunch of kids up, doesn't exclude him from being a terrorist. Maybe his goal wasn't to terrorize Turkish citizens, but rather Russian diplomats and such.

Peally
12-19-2016, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=BehindBlueI's;538713]No. You can get a "God is great" if the waiter is fast with your dinner in the Mid East. I get it's tied to terrorism in the Western mind, but it's a ubiquitous phrase with no particular connotations in the ME. Much like "Thank God" in the Western world, it doesn't even necessarily indicate the person is particularly religious[\QUOTE]

This. When 95% of the population is Muslim, you are going to get Allahu Akbar chants when the coffee is especially good that morning.

It would be less connected with terrorism if it wasn't every 3rd phrase out of their damned mouths in tarded middle eastern combat footage.

45dotACP
12-19-2016, 10:12 PM
Must have been >35.
Get this guy a beer 😂

HCM
12-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Jay Cunningham
12-19-2016, 10:17 PM

Too soon?

MD7305
12-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Aftermath Pic
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/38e63cf3e6b1254e15529f57fbf6696b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD7305
12-19-2016, 10:20 PM
**Deleted Duplicate Post**

breakingtime91
12-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Magazine looks busted.

BaiHu
12-19-2016, 10:42 PM
Magazine looks busted.
Or shot in the hands/gun if he was pointing it at them?

Arbninftry
12-19-2016, 10:47 PM
Aftermath Pic
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/38e63cf3e6b1254e15529f57fbf6696b.jpg

Good Terrorist

That is-

Good and Dead

I think he died of natural causes.

Shoresy
12-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Good Terrorist

That is-

Good and Dead

I think he died of natural causes.

It's natural to die when you're exsanguinated.

BehindBlueI's
12-19-2016, 11:02 PM
An assassin can be a terrorist. At this stage he has not been shown to be a state actor, used violence to make political/religious statements (Aloha snackbar, We die in Aleppo you die here...) Just cause he didnt blow himself and a bunch of kids up, doesn't exclude him from being a terrorist. Maybe his goal wasn't to terrorize Turkish citizens, but rather Russian diplomats and such.

Being a state actor or not is irrelevant to if one is a terrorist. There is state sponsored terrorism, "lone wolf" terrorists, etc. If we're going to expand the definition so broadly as to mean particular government officials are scared, then you'd necessarily have to include soldiers as well, right? That strikes me as stretching the meaning of terrorism to the point it becomes meaningless, simply an expedient way to label someone as the bad guy.

YVK
12-19-2016, 11:08 PM
After ISIS dropped that St. Petersburg-bound passenger plane one would imagine that all Russians in that entire region would be considered as potential targets. How the Ambassador would not have his own detail is beyond me. Russians have no ways to retaliate for this; what, they gonna bomb Aleppo?

My one and personal concern is that one of the easiest routes out of my hometown to States is SVX - IST- JFK. My parents have been doing this every year.

TGS
12-20-2016, 07:17 AM

Being a state actor or not is irrelevant to if one is a terrorist. There is state sponsored terrorism, "lone wolf" terrorists, etc. If we're going to expand the definition so broadly as to mean particular government officials are scared, then you'd necessarily have to include soldiers as well, right? That strikes me as stretching the meaning of terrorism to the point it becomes meaningless, simply an expedient way to label someone as the bad guy.

You're both correct, here. Terrorism has something around 100+ definitions from various academic and legislative bodies. Count me as someone who feels the term is slung loosely about these days, but let's look at what US law says:

[T]he term 'terrorism' means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents

(1) [T]he term 'international terrorism' means activities that —

(A) involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State;
(B) appear to be intended —
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
(C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum".

the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives

Gray222
12-20-2016, 08:33 AM
Putin is going to respond in kind, something like what happened after Beslan with Alpha in Chechnya.

Hambo
12-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Cop shoots ambassador and five pages later there's still no...

#ambassadorlivesmatter

Jay Cunningham
12-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Putin is going to respond in kind, something like what happened after Beslan with Alpha in Chechnya.

Yes he will, but it will be cooly calculated and it will be targeted revenge.

If it was the US ambassador who'd been assassinated, we'd respond by invading Yemen.

punkey71
12-20-2016, 09:23 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/5619f41061f8700a8e11aac230808408.jpg

punkey71
12-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Duplicate

Peally
12-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Dead terrorists are funny, because they're garbage that needs to be taken out. Not so much on lol'ing about their professionalism over a dead ambassador.

11B10
12-20-2016, 09:34 AM
What gets me is how long the shooter prances around, waving his gun and spouting all his bs -without getting shot.

11B10
12-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Looking like 9 dead and 50 injured at this time: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/12/19/report-truck-drives-into-crowded-christmas-market-in-berlin.html?refresh=true

Meanwhile Obama is hard at work burning and shredding the past 8 years? http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/19/obama-announces-record-wave-pardons-commutations.html

And......pardoning and commuting sentences. At last count: 78. He just might set a new record.

Peally
12-20-2016, 09:40 AM
What gets me is how long the shooter prances around, waving his gun and spouting all his bs -without getting shot.

I think that gets all of us, since we're all fairly primed to act quickly. It is an art studio though, it's not like every other person in there was packing (assuming there were no additional body guards that were taken out by the asswipe).

11B10
12-20-2016, 09:48 AM
It's a Glock with a stainless steel polished barrel. Everyone knows you have to change the barrel out :D

I'm sure I saw a video yesterday (can't find it right now) which showed a hammer-fired gun.

BaiHu
12-20-2016, 09:54 AM
And......pardoning and commuting sentences. At last count: 78. He just might set a new record.
He has set a record. More than 11 previous presidents is what I heard.

Irelander
12-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Still interested to know what gun the dead dirt bag used.

alohadoug
12-20-2016, 01:25 PM

The Firearm Blog is now claiming it to be a Canik...

"we'll never know...."

Lex Luthier
12-20-2016, 01:47 PM
I saw the picture taken with the pistol outstretched, and thought it was a P99 or a clone. So Canik would not be a stretch.

Gad, what a mess. I don't think the folks behind him - if there are any- have thought this through. Putin's govt has more reach now than they have in decades.

NEPAKevin
12-20-2016, 04:14 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161220/5619f41061f8700a8e11aac230808408.jpg

Reminds me of Obecks (Nicky Katt) from Way of the Gun

http://www.superiorpics.com/movie_pictures/mp/2000_The_Way_of_the_Gun/nicky_katt_ryan_phillippe_taye_diggs_the_way_of_th e_gun_001.jpg

Peally
12-20-2016, 04:30 PM

Honest question: why do you want to know? Every time some asshole kills someone it seems like that's the first question people wonder. Every time I sit and wonder why the hell it matters.

And unrelated but the memes just piss me off for some reason. People bitch and bitch about the media giving dirt bags a place to be popularized and remembered for their actions, and yet here the internet is with memes of a middle eastern shitbag cop-turned-killer standing over a corpse cracking jokes all the same, apparently because he's not dressed like his dirt farming colleagues.

Irelander
12-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Honest question: why do you want to know? Every time some asshole kills someone it seems like that's the first question people wonder. Every time I sit and wonder why the hell it matters.

Just generally curious of what weapons the enemy uses. It doesn't really matter I just didn't recognize it and it piqued my interest.

TGS
12-21-2016, 05:03 PM
Just generally curious of what weapons the enemy uses.

Canik TP9 according to TFB (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/20/gun-used-assassinate-russian-ambassador-turkey/).

ETA: Sorry, didn't see that AlohaDoug mentioned that already.

Jeep
12-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Yes he will, but it will be cooly calculated and it will be targeted revenge.

If it was the US ambassador who'd been assassinated, we'd respond by invading Yemen.

That's the old way. The new way is to throw a Copt film maker in jail and denounce him on all the weekend political talk shows. Maybe we'll compromise in the future by invading Egypt so we can throw a lot of Copts in jail.