PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird Tactical, Wichita

GJM
12-18-2016, 08:28 PM
With an unexpected weekend to kill in Wichita, Kansas, my wife and I did the shooter version of a pub crawl, visiting local gun shops and ranges. Wichita has a bunch of both.

In any event, the best surprise, was our visit to Thunderbird Tactical today. Fairly new place, in a beautiful facility, best retail selection of soft goods I have ever seen in one location, good firearm selection, friendly and knowledgeable staff, and very nice range. This is a must visit for folks in the general area.

We ended up shooting 150 rounds of their ammo there, through our pistols. This was our first time shooting indoors in a while, and it was very different than our typical outdoor shooting experience. We watched the safety video, learned the rules for those not having taken their course -- no drawing and no shooting faster than a shot a second. They put us in lane 14, next to a shooter in lane 15. First shot fired in lane 15, almost sent us through the roof, as it turned out our neighbor was shooting an AR-15. We moved as far away as possible. It was pretty easy shooting to 20 yards, but at 25 and 30, it was hard to see the upper A in the USPSA paper target we were shooting. Apparently tape is not common in Wichita, as none was observed on or available at the range. At some point, doing failure drills, I was admonished for shooting faster than a shot a second, and I then finished out shooting failure drills support hand only.

If I had to shoot indoors, this is a place I would frequent. With a temp around 0F when we went in, this was a great day for an indoor range. I hope their business model works and wish them a lot of success.

Lomshek
12-19-2016, 12:45 AM
I live 2.5 hours away but know a number of quality people who've been impressed with Thunderbird Tactical.

Robinson
12-19-2016, 09:19 AM
ARs on an indoor range are just nasty. I always have a suppressor on mine when I shoot.

Nephrology
12-19-2016, 07:06 PM
ARs on an indoor range are just nasty. I always have a suppressor on mine when I shoot.

Yeah, no thanks.

MGW
12-19-2016, 10:57 PM
I bought a membership there a couple months ago GJM. Definitely one of the nicer indoor ranges I've been to. I like that they keep a safety in the bay. Some are better than others.

Friday evenings are usually pretty slow and my preferred time to go. Once a month they do a safety class that will allow you to get signed off to work from the holster and shoot at your own pace.

I'm with you on the rifles. They have multiple bays and I would love it if they split up the rifles and pistols. I know it comes down to having people on staff t cover multiple bays. I double plug shooting indoors and still struggle with getting very flinchy. Rifles make it worse.

ST911
12-19-2016, 10:59 PM
Once a month they do a safety class that will allow you to get signed off to work from the holster and shoot at your own pace.

What does that class consist of, and what standards are used to determine if someone is safe to do those things?

MGW
12-19-2016, 11:01 PM
Don't know. Haven't done it yet.