PDA

View Full Version : M&P 2.0

KentuckyWindage
12-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Looks like it will finally happen soon. Academy sports is listing 9mm and 40 models with and with out thumb safety and L versions in FDE. The long FDE versions have a "tactile LCI" looking at the pictures it is held in place with a roll pin on top of the slide. I hope they offer that model without the LCI. I will pick one or two of these up when they are released.

Link (http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/SearchDisplay?searchTerm=m%26p+2.0)

SKU# 110577417
http://assets.academy.com/mgen/45/10763945.jpg?is=640,640
http://assets.academy.com/mgen/46/10763946.jpg

SKU# 110577492
http://assets.academy.com/mgen/53/10763953.jpg?is=640,640
http://assets.academy.com/mgen/54/10763954.jpg

SecondsCount
12-17-2016, 10:36 AM
It looks nice.

What are those big cutouts above the light rail for?

KentuckyWindage
12-17-2016, 10:40 AM
It looks nice.

I believe the rumor was it was modular like the Sig 320

JTQ
12-17-2016, 11:09 AM
They look good.

I'm not much of an FDE fan or of thumb safeties on the M&P's, but the proportions of the long slide looks "just right" to my eye.

Bergeron
12-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Alright!

I'm still stuck in the past with my 1911s, but a "L" with a thumb safety is very interesting...

matt7184
12-17-2016, 12:17 PM
It looks nice.

Serial number and 3D barcode

RJ
12-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Interesting, thanks for posting.

Not a hater, but would this be the M&P 2.0 that was de-selected from the recent army MHS contract? I would guess so.

It seems hard to see on the surface many changes over the original M&P (I owned a FS9 for three years. I really liked the ergos and how nice it was to shoot.) The backstrap release tool looks the same, and the backstrap. Ditto the magazines. The stippling looks good too, kind of like the old Pro stippling.

I'd also be curious is they re-designed the striker block profile so that the trigger pull is not like dragging sandpaper over a file. I was also never a fan of the curved trigger they used.

If you get one, please post a 10 round 25 yard B8 target.

Beat Trash
12-17-2016, 12:28 PM
It looks like they finally got around to making the grip texture rough enough to actually be functional...

Patrick Taylor
12-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Thumb safety with the long slide , YES. I have to buy 2 pistols to get that now. I have been using the leftover pistols to arm the women folk in the family.

psalms144.1
12-17-2016, 12:38 PM
I'm definitely not an M&P hater, but can't seem to get around to buying one, knowing they need a bunch of aftermarket trigger components and a several-hundred dollar gunsmith-fit custom barrel to make them shoot straight (at least in the full size 9mm).

If the 2.0 has a workable out of the box trigger and isn't plagued with accuracy issues, I might take a look. Always looking for the "Glock Killer" to get my 19/17/26 out of my primary carry role. I'm also a little confused, if this is "modular" for grips like the P320, why do you need replaceable backstraps? I guess you could get a Large grip and run a Large backstrap if you can palm basketballs...

DpdG
12-17-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm not buying P320 style modularity on this- there are a lot of visible roll pins through the grip frame. Not a value judgement, just does not appear to be a chassis/grip assembly system.

RJ
12-17-2016, 12:59 PM
If the 2.0 has a workable out of the box trigger and isn't plagued with accuracy issues, I might take a look. Always looking for the "Glock Killer" to get my 19/17/26 out of my primary carry role. I'm also a little confused, if this is "modular" for grips like the P320, why do you need replaceable backstraps? I guess you could get a Large grip and run a Large backstrap if you can palm basketballs...

I expect quite a lot of folks to have this reaction.

My guess is they leveraged the existing polymer tooling for the lower part of the grip from the 1.0. That stippling looks a lot like what they did for the Shield .45, recently released.

My overall impression from the swappable frame panels of the 320 is that it sounds like a great idea, however the price point they selected for the grip frames make one think twice before changing them out. I admit I know basically zilch about sales of 320 grip frames, and this is simply baseless internet conjecture. :cool:

But anyways, good for S&W, I hope they sell a bunch.

Greg
12-17-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm rooting for this one and I'm not even interested in getting any more striker fired pistols. <---- BLASPHEMY!!!

EVP
12-17-2016, 01:40 PM
When I was running a m&p 9 pro 5in, I felt the gun had fantastic potential if it were just done with better quality. I would happily pay HK money or a little more to have a high quality American made polymer pistol.

If an M&p came out with similar features as Apex trigger components, Apex solid trigger, Apex fitted barrel solution, better quality mag releases, better quality mags, but came from the factory that way, I would buy 4 of them and put Gadgets on them....

LockedBreech
12-17-2016, 01:42 PM
I like my M&P .40 well enough. I've long wanted an M&P 9 as a companion. If this managed to fix the accuracy plague, I'd be interested.

MK11
12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
I like my M&P .40 well enough. I've long wanted an M&P 9 as a companion. If this managed to fix the accuracy plague, I'd be interested.

I've been completely satisfied with my 2010 M&P 9 but not willing to gamble on a second. This has got me
putting other purchases on hold until (or if) solid reports on the new ones start coming in.

azerious
12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
kinda excited

orionz06
12-17-2016, 04:56 PM
I'm not cool enough to have too much inside info but I'll be buying one the instant I am able to get my paws on one. I've heard all of the accuracy issues that plagued the current M&P 9, at least for normal people, are gone.

LSW
12-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Very cool. As the owner of 6 original version M&P 40's, will be interested in seeing initial tests of the new 9mm for accuracy and trigger improvements. Might have to sell a few of the older ones and trade in for the newer ones if the improvements are significant.

Hopefully it uses the same magazines. I wonder about barrel assemblies too.

orionz06
12-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Hopefully it uses the same magazines.

I've heard yes.

jeep45238
12-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Very interested in how long the accuracy stays, and if the whole thing needs to be hot-rodded to work out as a decent shooter. Wouldn't mind having one again for a idpa rig.

RJ
12-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Very cool. As the owner of 6 original version M&P 40's, will be interested in seeing initial tests of the new 9mm for accuracy and trigger improvements. Might have to sell a few of the older ones and trade in for the newer ones if the improvements are significant.

Hopefully it uses the same magazines. I wonder about barrel assemblies too.

Same same on magazines would be real good. I can't tell for sure but the sights look about the same.

Ref the barrel assembly, Randy Lee gave one of the better analyses of the 9mm M&P full size lock up issues and the resulting impact on accuracy a while back in another thread on the M&P. So, one suspects if the 2.0 was meant to satisfy the oft-quoted MHS 1" at 50 yards in a rest requirement, the barrel assembly would seem to be a good candidate for a change.

My suspicion was always that the gunsmiths at S&W knew what they needed to do to make the gun accurate, as well as cure the trigger complaints, but the leadership team for whatever reason decided not to re-engineer the gun. By most accounts I saw on various fora, the M&P always sold well but it was just " " this short on accuracy. Since it was a good seller, maybe any decision to reengineer for the civilan market was deferred to work on the MHS design, then bring the 2.0 forward.

Mini-rant:

One of the most annoying things on Smiff and Wesson fan web sites was the insistence, whenever accuracy issues were brought up, was from Cleeti stating 'Son, this gun is combat accurate. You ain't gonna be takin' headshots at 15 yards." Geez that used to piss me off, as I was trying to shoot 25 yard groups on a B8 (still am) with it at the time.

/mini-rant

Now that S&W/GD has been dropped from the MHS procurement, I would guess they are heavily retargeting the LEO market as well.

Break:

Anyone think that the 2.0 would fit in an existing 1.0 holster? Cause that would be cool. :)

LSW
12-17-2016, 06:27 PM
From looking at it, they look like they should probably be holster compatible, but hard to say for certain.

SLG
12-17-2016, 08:09 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on Academy getting sued over that release.

El Cid
12-17-2016, 08:11 PM
If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on Academy getting sued over that release.

Does seem odd with SHOT right around the corner.

GJM
12-17-2016, 08:23 PM

Link no longer workee.

El Cid
12-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Link no longer workee.

I just got this one to load.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smith--wesson-mp-m20-9mm-semiautomatic-pistol#repChildCatid=3988558

Another:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/17/smith-wesson-mp-m2-0/

KentuckyWindage
12-17-2016, 08:50 PM
I just got this one to load.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smith--wesson-mp-m20-9mm-semiautomatic-pistol#repChildCatid=3988558

Another:

Thank you for the update

Kyle Reese
12-17-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm game to T&E a pair in '18.

arcticlightfighter
12-17-2016, 09:08 PM
I dumped the M&P a couple of years ago due to the accuracy issues specific to the 9mm and have 3 GEN4 Glocks in 9mm. I am having difficulty with the left POI with the Gen 4's but other than that they are sufficient.

It looks like theynhave addressed the issues of the original grip that has been equated with a wet bar of soap and hopefully resolved the accuracy issues completely with the 9mm models

DocSabo40
12-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Be nice if they would lop about 1/2" off the grip while they were fixing the rest of the problems.

spinmove_
12-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Looks good. Let's hope they fix the accuracy issues.

But, uh, what's that goofy thingy-do right next to the slide-lock on the left side?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Tokarev
12-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Ergonomically the M&P is hard to beat. Cost vs accuracy is also pretty good in my experience. Yes the older 9mm pistols could be fairly inaccurate and the trigger could and/or can leave something to be desired but much of this has now been fixed by the 1x10 twist and the newest "H" trigger bar.

Gen2 will be a good thing if they hold true to the design that makes the M&P almost as simple as a Glock for detailed stripping while adding the chassis format.

Ideally I would like to see a Gen2 in a Glock 19 size rather than the "neither fish nor fowl" 9/40 compact size. The Shield is a better option than the compact.

The 45 Compact is the right size. Now just make it in 9mm!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RJ
12-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Picture of a 1.0 FS 9mm w TS for comparison:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161218/4727b13254a7f53dd0558fec86999d53.jpg

John Hearne
12-18-2016, 09:57 AM
If only there was a board member who had helped set up a promotional photography shoot and could offer some insight.......

RJ
12-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Edit: Double tap, sorry.

DamonL
12-18-2016, 10:20 AM
From looking at pictures, it looks like they have,

Beefed up the frame
Removed the beaver tail
Added a shelf on the slide release
Scalloped the ejection port
Added forward serrations
Added stippling on grip.

The cut outs on the frame above the rail could be to allow clearance for mounted lights?

I remember Bill R saying that melonite was a bad finish for a stainless slide that could cause warpage. Maybe the new finish will address that.

If S&W improves quality control and improves consistent slide dimensions and barrel fit, they could have a winner.

David S.
12-18-2016, 10:34 AM
I wonder why they removed the beaver tail. Seemed like just the right amount and allowed guys like me with big mitts to get high up on the gun without slidebite.

Tokarev
12-18-2016, 10:38 AM
I wonder why they removed the beaver tail. Seemed like just the right amount and allowed guys like me with big mitts to get high up on the gun without slidebite.
Agree with this. Beavertail is a good feature on a duty-sized handgun.

Tokarev
12-18-2016, 10:40 AM

DocGKR
12-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Tokarev--the 1/10 twist barrel did nothing to fix the accuracy issues of the full size M&P9...

RJ
12-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Agree with this. Beavertail is a good feature on a duty-sized handgun.

It does look like the distance from the bottom of the slide to highest grip point is shorter on the 2.0.

JTQ
12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
I wonder why they removed the beaver tail.
My theory...because it is always compared to the Glock. When you start looking at numbers on paper, the beavertail makes the gun longer, even though there is no practical problem associated with the extra length. The folks will look at the numbers and have some arbitrary size limit above which they just can't conceal.

Regarding the Glock comparisons - you see it in this thread with folks asking for a G19 size M&P. I'm of the other mind that the M&P is a better "duty size" than either the G17 or G19, while the M&Pc is a better concealment gun than the G19 and is more practical for shooting than the G26. I know everybody loves the G19 size, but the analogy I use is the NFL "tweener" who is not big and strong enough to play defensive end and too slow and can't cover well enough to play linebacker. Either get a defensive end or a linebacker, it's not like you guys only have one gun.

Tokarev
12-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Tokarev--the 1/10 twist barrel did nothing to fix the accuracy issues of the full size M&P9...
Well, regardless, the new pistols seem to shoot better than the old ones.

RJ
12-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, regardless, the new pistols seem to shoot better than the old ones.

This post from Randy 8-12-15 discussing the M&P dwell time was pretty interesting. The discussion that follows and precedes at that point is also illustrative of the complications of the 1:10 twist rate.

Disclosure: I am not gunsmith by any stretch. Just re-quoting a fairly involved industry source (Randy owns Apex, I believe).

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8390-Apex-Barsto-barrel-M-amp-P-9mm&p=342059&viewfull=1#post342059

As I recall (but could be wrong) my 2013 M&P had the H trigger bar and 1:10 twist. It was accurate when it was accurate, and not accurate at other times. Which if I understand the "lockup" and "dwell" time, makes sense, as when the pistol was "locked up" properly, it was accurate, at other times, not so much.

Obviously I defer to Doc's and/or other SMEs expertise in this area.

Also, to correct something I misremembered earlier, the MHS requirement I was thinking of is actually 4" groups at 50 meters. (but hell, don't quote me on this.)

LSW
12-18-2016, 12:24 PM
The lack of beavertail doesn't bother me that much. I mostly shoot and compete with the M&P 40 compact these days, and don't really notice the beavertail being gone that much. My .40 compact is a pretty consistent 4" gun at 25 yards so I haven't been too concerned about the accuracy of it either, although you can never have enough accuracy until it starts to affect reliability in an adverse way. Speaking of which, hopefully they offer the updated version in a compact model too eventually, as I much prefer it to the fullsize for summertime concealment.

Texaspoff
12-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Accuracy is the biggest question with the 2.0, have they fixed the inconsistency issues. I haven't updated my armor status with S&W in a bit so Im not up to date on the newest revisions, but here is what I can see is different about the 2.0 version. The subframe is obviously longer up front. Different more aggressive texturing, and the lack of the extended beavertail. The serial number plate has been removed from the rear of the frame and is in the cutouts in the dust cover. They are no longer using the roll pins, but solid pins in the frame. Not sure what the added metal bar is in front of the slide release, anyone guess is a good as mine. NOTE the revised slide release cut in the slide, This could be due to a new slide release setup, or to eliminate the auto forward. The machine work on the slide is slightly different, smoother edges in a few places, and scalloping on the ejection port. The trigger guard is undercut slightly deeper than the previous version. They are also use the Shields metal mag release. Not sure about any other differences, other than what S&W is saying.

TXPO

Chuck Haggard
12-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Looks like it has grip zone....

DamonL
12-18-2016, 02:06 PM
This post from Randy 8-12-15 discussing the M&P dwell time was pretty interesting. The discussion that follows and precedes at that point is also illustrative of the complications of the 1:10 twist rate.

Disclosure: I am not gunsmith by any stretch. Just re-quoting a fairly involved industry source (Randy owns Apex, I believe).

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?8390-Apex-Barsto-barrel-M-amp-P-9mm&p=342059&viewfull=1#post342059

As I recall (but could be wrong) my 2013 M&P had the H trigger bar and 1:10 twist. It was accurate when it was accurate, and not accurate at other times. Which if I understand the "lockup" and "dwell" time, makes sense, as when the pistol was "locked up" properly, it was accurate, at other times, not so much.

Obviously I defer to Doc's and/or other SMEs expertise in this area.

Also, to correct something I misremembered earlier, the MHS requirement I was thinking of is actually 4" groups at 50 meters. (but hell, don't quote me on this.)

It's interesting that you focused on the dwell time and I focused on dimensional tolerances. It just shows there are so many things that effect the accuracy issues.

spinmove_
12-18-2016, 03:08 PM

At least it doesn't say it...

Erick Gelhaus
12-18-2016, 09:28 PM

Grip zone?

TheNewbie
12-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Grip zone?

Springfield XD grip zone.

DocSabo40
12-18-2016, 10:52 PM
I believe it's meant to avoid embarrassing situations like this from happening too often.

Lomshek
12-19-2016, 12:24 AM

Everyone's different. I chopped the beaver tail off of mine and recontoured the underside of what was left to allow a higher grip. Did the same to my Shield and like them both better this way.

DocGKR
12-19-2016, 02:24 AM
I removed the beavertails on my M&P9's & M&P40's; as noted above, it allows a higher grip and they carry better.

Tokarev
12-19-2016, 06:46 AM
It looks like the roll pins and trigger pin are still the same. Can the 2.0 be a chassis system? Maybe the railed subsection comes out after the frame has been disassembled.

Also what's the small rectangular piece between the slide release and takedown lever? Some type of button that disengages the sear? Takedown without pulling the trigger or using a tool to disconnect the sear would be a welcome addition.

lwt16
12-19-2016, 07:55 AM
I've been carrying a M&P 9mm at work now for quite some time. Reliability has been top notch as I approach the six thousand round mark.

Ours are the first gen barrel 9mm pistols and yes, the accuracy issues at 25 yards are widespread with our pistols. There are maybe ten "distinguished" expert shooters with your's truly included in that count that never could get a decent group at 25 yards. Looked more like a shotgun pattern with flyers all over the place.

We also had a bunch of slides that must have been dovetailed too wide for the front sight as when the pistols would heat up, sights would start falling off. I was in a FBI survival shooting school and my groups were walking to the right during it. I looked down at my front sight and it was way off and I could move it back with my fingers. Our department armorers are pretty much clueless when it comes to actually working on guns so I solved it myself.

I did find some factory 9mm loads that would actually print respectable groups at 25 and started bringing those to quals and classes. I'd take what they issued (WWB) for practice and "swap" those out for my own ammo. That helped quite a bit as far as the 25 yard line was concerned.

We as an agency are going to the Glock 17 at the first of the year after considering the Sig P320 and a newer M&P. I'm sure that this decision was based on getting some G43s thrown in to the deal instead of any sort of testing procedure. We always default to dollars for the tough calls.

So unless Smith solved the accuracy and the sight dovetails, I'm in the "pass" group.

The guys that had 9mm Shields as backup/off duty pistols could routinely print tight groups with them at the 25 yard line with our practice loads. That was always fun to witness when they switched over to their full sized M&P and threw rounds left and right at the same distance. Frustration aplenty.

Regards.

spinmove_
12-19-2016, 09:01 AM
I've been carrying a M&P 9mm at work now for quite some time. Reliability has been top notch as I approach the six thousand round mark.

Ours are the first gen barrel 9mm pistols and yes, the accuracy issues at 25 yards are widespread with our pistols. There are maybe ten "distinguished" expert shooters with your's truly included in that count that never could get a decent group at 25 yards. Looked more like a shotgun pattern with flyers all over the place.

We also had a bunch of slides that must have been dovetailed too wide for the front sight as when the pistols would heat up, sights would start falling off. I was in a FBI survival shooting school and my groups were walking to the right during it. I looked down at my front sight and it was way off and I could move it back with my fingers. Our department armorers are pretty much clueless when it comes to actually working on guns so I solved it myself.

I did find some factory 9mm loads that would actually print respectable groups at 25 and started bringing those to quals and classes. I'd take what they issued (WWB) for practice and "swap" those out for my own ammo. That helped quite a bit as far as the 25 yard line was concerned.

We as an agency are going to the Glock 17 at the first of the year after considering the Sig P320 and a newer M&P. I'm sure that this decision was based on getting some G43s thrown in to the deal instead of any sort of testing procedure. We always default to dollars for the tough calls.

So unless Smith solved the accuracy and the sight dovetails, I'm in the "pass" group.

The guys that had 9mm Shields as backup/off duty pistols could routinely print tight groups with them at the 25 yard line with our practice loads. That was always fun to witness when they switched over to their full sized M&P and threw rounds left and right at the same distance. Frustration aplenty.

Regards.

That seems to be the funny thing about the Shields and the 9c. They don't exhibit the same accuracy issues and the Shield is most definitely a high volume seller for them. How can they make those work but not the full sized 9?

Beat Trash
12-19-2016, 09:57 AM
That seems to be the funny thing about the Shields and the 9c. They don't exhibit the same accuracy issues and the Shield is most definitely a high volume seller for them. How can they make those work but not the full sized 9?

That is a question that I am sure has kept a few S&W engineers up at night.

GardoneVT
12-19-2016, 10:27 AM
That is a question that I am sure has kept a few S&W engineers up at night.

That assumes the accuracy issue became a marketing problem among the handgun proletariat class. Most of them cant get good hits past ten yards, which means cumulative inaccuracy at 25 yards is irrelevant to most customers( agency contracts excluded).

Tokarev
12-19-2016, 10:45 AM
...means cumulative inaccuracy at 25 yards is irrelevant to most customers( agency contracts INCLUDED).

Fixed it for you.

LockedBreech
12-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Regards.

Can I ask how long your agency has issued the M&P9? As a non-LEO I'm frankly shocked they'd make you live with those issues for that long. Was the thought of the people in charge just "Oh well, it cycles"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DpdG
12-19-2016, 11:31 AM
Not specific to any particular agency, but a common attitude on the LE side is: "Qualification is a yes or no question. As long as people qualify, the scores don't matter." Once this attitude has been fully internalized, nobody in command positions really care if a weapon groups 2" @25y or 8"@25y. In addition, many qualification courses allow an officer to drop every round at the 25y line and still qualify.

My agency has qualification standards more stringent than the state-mandated minimum, yet an officer can still drop every round at the 25y line and still qualify with a score one round above the minimum passing score.

DocGKR
12-19-2016, 12:11 PM
DpdG hit the nail on the head.

LockedBreech
12-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Well that sucks. :-\

tcba_joe
12-19-2016, 02:19 PM
I've always liked the M&P, but the line has historical issues, and my personal gun had an issue I was able to fix.

I really like that FDE long-slide and hopefully these are a true 2.0 in regards to accuracy, trigger, and ergos. It would be amazing if they were a chassis gun, but I'm not holding my breath.

What REALLY grinds my gears is that it's 2016, almost 2017, and the industry can't get on the factory RDS cuts bandwagon. All new handgun releases (looking at YOU every FBI and MHS entrant) should have have an MOS or CORE type slide as factory standard. Non-cut slides should be relegated to "stripped down" gun models (like the S&W SD series).

Tokarev
12-19-2016, 03:12 PM
... should have have an MOS or CORE type slide as factory standard..

Indeed.

lwt16
12-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Can I ask how long your agency has issued the M&P9? As a non-LEO I'm frankly shocked they'd make you live with those issues for that long. Was the thought of the people in charge just "Oh well, it cycles"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, pretty much what DpdG said.

We don't set the bar all that high for shooting......we never have put much emphasis on it. Quals once a year and no mandatory practice unless you have issues all of the time. Remedial shooters are given extra ammo and instruction.

Keep this in mind: I'd estimate that only ten to fifteen percent of our officers are "savvy" when it comes to shooting. The rest consider the pistol one more piece of equipment to lug around. Quals are static, easy shoots where very little emphasis is put at the 25 yard line. Most cops here think that a shot at the fifty yard line is impossible.

They don't care where those holes in the Q target are......as long as they are in the black.

Me and the other ten to fifteen percent? Well, we care. We like nice, tight groups.....and if the groups aren't nice and tight, we make frownie faces and blame ourselves.

We got these issued in 2011 if memory serves and I remember my first qual. Mine's trigger was a nightmare.......very gritty and sloppy....but I figured how bad can the group be?

At 25 I was all over the place with one out on the right.......very strange for me as I typically push shots left on a striker fired piece. So I took it to my club range and bench rested it. Shots all over the place with no "called" flyers.

I will say that the thing has never stovepiped, failed to fire, or chamber.....very smooth function. Even though I like uber tight groups, I'll take reliability over that any day of the week.

I hope the G17 that is about to replace it is as reliable as all my personal Glocks are.

Nephrology
12-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Regards.

Interesting - that squares with my early experience with the M&P circa 2010. Rented one at the Clackamas Cty SO's range and couldn't figure out why my shots were so far off center, until I saw that the rear sight had drifted almost all the way out of the dovetail inside the first magazine...

lwt16
12-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Yes, we have actually had sights fall free of the gun on the firing line.

I don't dislike my issue M&P......now that I have secured the front sight, slicked up the trigger pull some, and slapped some Talon grips on it. Nearing six thousand rounds and no stoppages is my main "like" on this gun. I just like my Glock 17 better and I am looking forward to being issued one for the job early 2017.

From what I read the early M&Ps had a wide variety of dovetail cuts in the slide for the sights. Some companies have aftermarket sights in varying sizes for just this reason.

I had a buddy order Ameriglo sights for his M&P and the front sight was so loose in the dovetail you could easily push it in with little finger pressure. That one had to be shimmed for it to work. He also slapped an Apex trigger in it (the carry model I think) and that really brought the M&P around.......it was a joy to shoot. Still had accuracy issues but he had planned to buy a third gen barrel for it. Not sure if he ever did.

LockedBreech
12-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the thorough response. I suppose if you have to pick a single quality in a service arm, reliability wins that contest pretty easily. I hope the G17 gives you that and a little more precision.

Lomshek
12-19-2016, 11:02 PM

That's my experience with pretty much all ammunition I've tried.

My Shield will do 4.5" 10 round groups at 25 yards POI=POA and my FS will do 7" groups 6" above POA (both with HST).

Just fitted a Gen 2 Apex gunsmith fit barrel so we'll see how that does when I get it out after Christmas.

1slow
12-19-2016, 11:11 PM
I am so glad I am out of the M&P world. Great ergos shit QC for accuracy.

LSW
12-20-2016, 12:23 AM
Now the question is did anyone actually manage to buy one from Academy, hahaha.

MGW
12-20-2016, 11:54 AM
It would have been nice to see the hinged trigger go away. I don't like it.

I really want these to work but I'm not holding my breath. The entire line of smith pistols has QC issues that are not just limited to poor accuracy from the M&P 9. Until Smith proves that they can mass ship firearms without obvious QC issues any improvements to the 2.0 are irrelevant.

If I see a 2-year track record of the 2.0 not being a flaming pile of unicorn crap I might give them a go.

mmc45414
12-20-2016, 02:49 PM
It looks like they finally got around to making the grip texture rough enough to actually be functional...

That stippling looks a lot like what they did for the Shield .45, recently released.

I agree, I have the Shield 45 and the stippling is very nice.

azerious
12-30-2016, 10:47 PM
any updates on a release date?

DocGKR
12-31-2016, 07:55 PM
I love the hinged trigger on the M&P--one of my favorite features...