PDA

View Full Version : PF End Of Year Northern Virginia Mountain Bike Ride

mtnbkr
12-17-2016, 08:02 AM
Per this thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22599-Bikes!/), let's get a PF ride organized. This is going to be a low pressure, low class spin through one of NoVA's easier trail systems. The one chosen will depend on where folks are coming from. We'll go at the pace of the slowest rider and only mock them a little bit. If we run across any interesting trail features folks want to session on, we'll do that. It's not a race, it's not training for your upcoming event, it's just a fun ride. I haven't ridden a bike since October, so I'm definitely going to take it easy.

Ok, that out of the way...

I'm available these dates:
Tue Dec 27 all day
Wed Dec 28 after 2pm
Thurs Dec 29 all day

Here are the two trail systems for consideration:
Wakefield/Accotink:
Location is Fairfax County (Annandale specifically). It's easy to reach from the beltway and offers many miles of trails ranging from gravel road to challenging single track. It can be crowded when the weather is nice and folks aren't at work. MORE holds many organized rides here and does trail maintenance and design. If we choose Thursday, MORE has a weekly night ride here. You'll need lights and I don't recommend that ride for absolute beginners. You should have some mountain biking experience before tackling a night ride. MORE will have multiple groups ranging from "this is my first time" to "I race weekly and this is my training ride". I have a spare light if anyone s game for this one. Distance-wise, we can put together a ride of any length. I've done 20+ miles out here.

Conway Robinson:
Location is Prince William County (just outside Gainesville). It's easy to reach from I66 (exit 43). It doesn't have as many miles of trails as Wakefield, but still has a good mix of Beginner to Intermediate. The main drawback to ConRob is that it tends to be muddy, especially on the easier loops. This time of year, you can expect to get muddy unless the ground is thoroughly frozen. Trails will tend to be less crowded unless the weather is very nice. Even then, I've had the park to myself. Distances here will be shorter, but we can get 5-10 miles in if you don't mind laps.

So, who's in, when, and were?

ETA: If there's a desire, we could also do a W&OD brewery tour instead. There are multiple breweries along the WOD. I'm just putting that out there if there's not much demand for a dirt ride... :)

Chris