PDA

View Full Version : HK USP: what do I need to know?

DocSabo40
12-05-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm looking at completely switching over to USPs for carry, competition, and the occasional hike. I checked out the HK45 and P30s, and I actually prefer the blocky grip of the USP. I never intend on mounting a light, so that's a non-issue for me.

I've searched on here and the only known "issue" that i've seen is that the trigger return spring needs to be replaced frequently, and may be difficult to change. Anything else that I'm missing? Any known problems with the gun?

I'm looking specifically at an Expert 9, a compact 9, and a full size .45.

LockedBreech
12-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Just got a Compact .40 and was going to warn you it's pretty chubby, but if you already know that from handling it, looks like that's not a problem!

TGS
12-05-2016, 03:08 PM
If you get one of the early ones, check to see if it needs the firing pin replaced.

The early ones had a finite service life with dry firing, and were replaced for free by HK with an updated firing pin. I think Dagga Boy said that his still went 100k rounds with a frequent, heavy dry firing regimen.

It's not really a problem, so to say.....more just a pursuit of Teutonic perfection.

Kyle Reese
12-05-2016, 03:39 PM
If you get one of the early ones, check to see if it needs the firing pin replaced.

The early ones had a finite service life with dry firing, and were replaced for free by HK with an updated firing pin. I think Dagga Boy said that his still went 100k rounds with a frequent, heavy dry firing regimen.

It's not really a problem, so to say.....more just a pursuit of Teutonic perfection.

My brother broke his USP 45's firing pin. I blame myself for that, having recently transferred the pistol over to him and I know for a fact that I dry fired the holy hell out of it for years and years. HK fixed it w/o issue.

okie john
12-05-2016, 04:03 PM
This thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?16503-HK-USP-45-field-pistol probably reflects the most current thinking on the USP.

Okie John

TC215
12-05-2016, 04:06 PM
My agency issued USP .45's and USP compact .45's for 16 years...until earlier this year, actually. Only real issue we ever had was with the older hard plastic magazine base pads breaking when dropped on a hard surface. The newer magazines are ok.

rauchman
12-05-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm looking at completely switching over to USPs for carry, competition, and the occasional hike. I checked out the HK45 and P30s, and I actually prefer the blocky grip of the USP. I never intend on mounting a light, so that's a non-issue for me.

I've searched on here and the only known "issue" that i've seen is that the trigger return spring needs to be replaced frequently, and may be difficult to change. Anything else that I'm missing? Any known problems with the gun?

Agree with you in that I prefer the blocky grip of the USP as well over the newer offerings.
Trigger return springs as a potential weak point is a new one on me. Never heard of that part being an issue, but I'm far from an expert.
As TGS noted, I believe prior to 2001 or 2002, firing pins were known as a potential weak point. Aside from that, I'm not aware of additional things to watch out for from a reliability / durability perspective.

DocSabo40
12-05-2016, 08:18 PM
I've been through a bunch of different threads on the USP in the past few days, a couple of them mentioned the TRS as a part that would need to be replaced with frequent dry fire, but I'm not positive who said it or where. Can anyone confirm this or correct me? I'd be buying new, so it should have the new firing pin, same with the magazines.

I've followed GJM's thread on his USP since he started it, it's what got me interested in USPs in the first place. They sound exceptionally reliable, accurate, and tough. I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.

GJM
12-05-2016, 08:29 PM

Arguably, those three are the pick of the litter. Match hybrid triggers in the Expert and FS 45, light LEM with the nickel sear spring, in the USP compact.

BCL
12-05-2016, 08:29 PM
The TRS is the most likely part to break on modern USPs. As long as you aren't using the heavy TRS, you don't have to worry about it breaking that often. Replace it every 12-15k rounds of live fire and buy yourself an HKParts.net TRS tool, it will make the process easier.

If you are buying a newly-produced USPs, then you don't have to worry about any firing pin issues.

As far as magazines go, talk to Dagga Boy about USP45 mags, he probably has more experience with them than anyone alive. The FS and C 9 mags shouldn't have any issues.

newyork
12-05-2016, 08:38 PM
You probably know this already but they have a proprietary rail made for the hk Utl light. 90 lumens. Otherwise GG&G makes an adapter to fit modern lights

JTQ
12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Do those polymer full size USP 9/40 mags (left out "mags" in the original post. Hope this makes more sense) hold up well? I realize HK makes a quality product, but it isn't a design they shared with anything else, which makes me wonder.

Is the grip circumference slightly less on the USP 9/40 c models than the full size models?

TGS
12-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Do those polymer full size USP 9/40 hold up well? I realize HK makes a quality product, but it isn't a design they shared with anything else, which makes me wonder.

Is the grip circumference slightly less on the USP 9/40 c models than the full size models?

The USP is probably the most robust pistol design in history next to the Mark 23.

JTQ
12-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Ooops, bad post above. The key word missing from my post was "mags". The first sentence should have read...

Do those polymer full size USP 9/40 mags hold up well?

Leaving out "mags" really made it sound like a dumb question. It still may be, but probably not as dumb.

nwhpfan
12-05-2016, 09:07 PM
I carried a USP 40 and then a USP 45 for the better part of 10 years. The later was cocked and locked and I thought it was an amazing pistol....having wished I would have skipped over my 1911 phase and went right to the USP C/L. I had the V9/10 detent plate so there was no decocker. Just a thumb safety. I think if you want to carry cocked and locked that is the way to go to avoid inadvertent de cocking. I had a surefire rail adapter and carried it with x200. (Anyone left handed interested in a custom made Ted Blocker basket weave Duty Holster to accommodate C/L and a weapon light?)

I broke the firing pin dry firing in about 2000 with one of those firing pin affected models and HK must have been in one of their phases of amazing CS because they had UPS at my house by the end of the day and the pistol back in about a week.

I would shoot a USP 9 in USPSA Production...if I already had one. You can* cut a number of coils off the hammer spring to create a shootable DA. The SA is GTG. IF you wanted to shoot L-10 I think you are ready to go with a USP45 Cocked and Locked but depending on what part of the country you are in you may find yourself competing against yourself.

Recoil springs are tough to change but if you have the patience and nerve and strong fingernails you can do it. Trigger returns springs are dooable too. I never broke one.

Mags are expensive but I never wore one out or broke one...dropping them on a concrete range floor.

OnionsAndDragons
12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
There's a lightly used USP9 LEM in the case at the local gun dealer that I have been eyeing for a bit now. He dropped the price on it last month and no one has bought it yet...

Gotta wait to find out how much my final out lay on the holiday cabin will be, but I'm seriously thinking about walking in with a roll and trying to lowball it. Stuff like that just doesn't sell in my area.

DocSabo40
12-06-2016, 12:01 AM
My original plan was to stick with the DA/SA setup, probably of the match variety. I'm passingly familiar with the LEM system, but I've only briefly read of the match LEM hybrid. Is this an LEM with some components of the match kit?

OnionsAndDragons
12-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Yeah. LEM components with the Match springs and trigger, IIRC.

GJM
12-06-2016, 12:22 AM
My original plan was to stick with the DA/SA setup, probably of the match variety. I'm passingly familiar with the LEM system, but I've only briefly read of the match LEM hybrid. Is this an LEM with some components of the match kit?

Yes, it is like a long travel SA match trigger for the initial pull, and shorter travel for successive shots depending upon your technique.

BCL and I damaged our trigger finger from serious USP DA practice. It isn't like a dainty Sig or Beretta DA. If you are looking for a defensive trigger, more than a gaming one, the hybrid match LEM in the USP FS is considered by many, to be the best trigger there is on an HK hammer gun.

The Expert is an amazing long range pistol, but a bit pogo-ey for fast shooting. The Compact is Glock 19 sized with a different recoil system than the USP FS and a great carry gun. The USP 45 FS is in a class of its own, as a rough and tumble pistol, that launches Super without modification.

SLG finds the FS USP on the large size for his hands, while it is fine for me. Not sure about your hand size.

Unisaw
12-06-2016, 12:30 AM
I have a USP Compact in .45 ACP. It is a very accurate and reliable pistol. It is completely original except that H&K just replaced the firing pin under warranty. In addition, I put Talon grip decals on it for increased traction. It's a version 1 that I carry cocked and locked. I have never accidentally decocked the hammer although, to be fair, I have never used it under extreme stress.

pastaslinger
12-06-2016, 01:16 AM
I've wanted to run a USP expert 9mm in production but there are a few major issues I see with it:
-the mag release is way too small and using an extended one for an HK45 will destroy the polymer magazines since it's a metal part
-it's poorly sprung
-even if I found a suitable extended mag release I still don't like paddle mag releases
-it's an expensive, outdated gun (around $1100), why should I buy it over something that works better for as much or less money?

I still want an expert in .45 though as an outdoors pistol. It uses metal mags unlike the 9 and .40

newyork
12-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Man I want a usp 45 fs. I wonder if it'll be too big for my tiny mitts. Been looking at the 9 despite my 10rd limit as GJM has made it impossible to ignore these guns as of late.

DocSabo40
12-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Thanks for breaking it down GJM, the DA pull sounds brutal. I was looking at the match kit, which says it brings the DA pull down to around 8.5lb on HKparts, any experience with that? The match hybrid LEM does sound sweet though, it would be a perfect carry trigger and hypothetically shouldn't give up much to a DA/SA if the SA pull is similar. I tend to be somewhere between a trigger slap and reset rider, I release a good bit past the reset then slap back again.

My hand size works with the USP, and I have unusually long thumbs so I can drop the mags with my thumb without shifting my grip, same with the rest of the HKs that I've tried.

Duces Tecum
12-06-2016, 11:52 AM
My agency issued USP .45's and USP compact .45's for 16 years...until earlier this year, actually. Only real issue we ever had was with the older hard plastic magazine base pads breaking when dropped on a hard surface. The newer magazines are ok.

No wish to derail this thread, but I've been noodling around the thought of a H&K USP-F (.45 ACP) carried AIWB. The measurements seem to suggest it would work, but I know of nobody who's doing it.

Could you comment on the practicality of a USP-F with AIWB carry, please? And perhaps compare it to a G-17, also AIWB?

I'm 71" and 180 lbs, 42"chest and 35" waist. (This may not be relevant, but I think I remember reading somewhere that body size can be an issue with AIWB.)

Hi-Point Aficionado
12-06-2016, 11:55 AM
E: I can reasonably carry a Beretta 92 series AIWB and don't see any reason a USPf should be terribly different. Six foot, 200 pounds, 34" to 36" waist depending on pant make. I'd have tried it with my fullsize but it's still got the original internals that leave the hammer catch deactivated by my match kit installation. Not putting that near wee johnson until I've gotten around to updating them.

You probably know this already but they have a proprietary rail made for the hk Utl light. 90 lumens. Otherwise GG&G makes an adapter to fit modern lights

Also 90 lumens but the Streamlight TLR-6 can be had in compact (https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69221-Mounted-Tactical-Compact/dp/B0039D0KRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481042340&sr=8-1&keywords=tlr-3+hk) and fullsize (https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69222-Weapon-Mounted-Tactical/dp/B0039CX530/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481042340&sr=8-2&keywords=tlr-3+hk) flavors. They also sell the compact USP claw (https://www.amazon.com/Strmlght-Tlr-3-Mnt-Hk-Usp/dp/B003K863P0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481042588&sr=8-3&keywords=tlr-3+hk) as an item to convert a standard TLR-6 to fit a USPc.

As an item I've yet to see mentioned, the USP compact has a thin grip as double-stacks go. Mine conceals on me better than my Glock 23 ever did and about as well as my G27 used to. It doesn't fit me as perfectly as a 92 series Beretta or fullsize USP, but the grip texturing keeps it planted in my hands, anyway. The pronounced taper at the top of the mags also make reloads nice and slick despite the thin grip.

For a negative, I hate the internal catch to keep the hammer off the firing pin when decocking. If it chips, I may not know and then be relying on the firing pin block to do its job as the pin regularly slams into it. Much prefer a rotating shield I can see like the old S&W autos or the two-piece pin in a 92 that I can watch rotate out of position. I'll personally only run the USP series as a SAO or LEM.

GJM
12-06-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks for breaking it down GJM, the DA pull sounds brutal. I was looking at the match kit, which says it brings the DA pull down to around 8.5lb on HKparts, any experience with that? The match hybrid LEM does sound sweet though, it would be a perfect carry trigger and hypothetically shouldn't give up much to a DA/SA if the SA pull is similar. I tend to be somewhere between a trigger slap and reset rider, I release a good bit past the reset then slap back again.

My hand size works with the USP, and I have unusually long thumbs so I can drop the mags with my thumb without shifting my grip, same with the rest of the HKs that I've tried.

My experience is that the match trigger improves SA but not much DA weight. I have trouble reliably deactivating the thumb safety with a fast appendix draw with the USP 45 FS, and went to V3, which makes that lever only a decocker. I can reach the safety in the USP FS 9/40, but without a lever, I can get enough higher on the grip to matter. The match hybrid LEM is a special enough trigger, it seems a shame to have a USP FS without it!

No wish to derail this thread, but I've been noodling around the thought of a H&K USP-F (.45 ACP) carried AIWB. The measurements seem to suggest it would work, but I know of nobody who's doing it.

Could you comment on the practicality of a USP-F with AIWB carry, please? And perhaps compare it to a G-17, also AIWB?

I'm 71" and 180 lbs, 42"chest and 35" waist. (This may not be relevant, but I think I remember reading somewhere that body size can be an issue with AIWB.)

I am 6-1, 170 pounds, and regularly carry the USP FS 45 in a George, including when flying. I shot Gabe's class with an Expert in 9 from a George.

CCT125US
12-06-2016, 12:43 PM
For a negative, I hate the internal catch to keep the hammer off the firing pin when decocking. If it chips, I may not know and then be relying on the firing pin block to do its job as the pin regularly slams into it.

Do you have any data points to back this up?

Hi-Point Aficionado
12-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Do you have any data points to back this up?

Match or LEM conversion with old-style internals is known to deactivate the catch. A poster on another forum made mention on a discharge while decocking a USP series pistol with no immediately obvious issues. And I'm also a curmudgeon who likes visual confirmation that all is well when I drop a hammer.

DocSabo40
12-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Any downsides to the match lem aside from the cost to set it up? I imagine it's a fairly complicated setup, do they stand up to a heavy dry-fire routine? Can the compact not be set up in match lem configuration?

GJM
12-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Any downsides to the match lem aside from the cost to set it up? I imagine it's a fairly complicated setup, do they stand up to a heavy dry-fire routine? Can the compact not be set up in match lem configuration?

As I recall, HK CS charged +/- $120 to install the match hybrid LEM, which is less costly than I could find the parts alone. No issues that I have experienced, or I have read about, in terms of durability. They can do the same trigger, less the USP FS trigger with over travel stop on the Compact. The USP series has significantly shorter reset than a P series trigger.

SLG
12-06-2016, 05:45 PM
I love my 45 Expert for what it is. An extremely accurate, powerful field grade semi auto. It is too large for me to do my best speed work with, but that is not what it is for. I can shoot it just fine. I can also carry it aiwb just fine. The FS 9 fits my hand well for speed work, though the slide stop interferes with my current grip. If I was going to carry it, I would modify my grip to suit it. I have not shot a compact yet, and am looking forward to it.

DocSabo40
12-07-2016, 12:11 AM
I didn't know HK would do the work on them, that's ideal, because I was adding up all of the parts for this and it was getting expensive.

DocSabo40
12-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Buds has what appears to be a very good deal on compact stainless .40s. I may be beating a dead horse here, but do the compacts handle the .40 well? I mean the gun physically holding up, not the recoil.

LockedBreech
12-07-2016, 06:45 PM
Buds has what appears to be a very good deal on compact stainless .40s. I may be beating a dead horse here, but do the compacts handle the .40 well? I mean the gun physically holding up, not the recoil.

I got one of those cheap Stainless .40s, and I haven't shot it yet, but this thing is built like a bomb shelter, and reportedly handles a lifetime of .40 quite well with spring changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LockedBreech
12-07-2016, 09:22 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161208/be9e06a29908164a2bb559d630eefaef.jpg

See, look at this battleship

newyork
12-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Bad ass!

GJM
12-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Stainless slide USP pistols often fetch a premium. Maybe fan boys buy them to wear as barbecue guns?

DocSabo40
12-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Maybe so, but we (I just ordered one) picked these puppies up for 650 bucks! That's Glock money.

Locked, that is some sweet looking machining. And you're right, that build does somehow resemble the USS Missouri.

LockedBreech
12-07-2016, 11:15 PM
Maybe fan boys buy them to wear as barbecue guns?

Oh HELL yeah.

Except for me, it's a Beretta 21A Bobcat Inox.

When you show up with that little baby and bandoliers of .22LR across your chest like Chewbacca, you OWN that barbecue.

DBLAction454
12-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Beware that a few people have had issues with Hornady defensive ammunition in HKs.

Hornadys case OAL is too long and does not fit properly in HK weapons which have tighter specs then most other handgun manufacturer chambers. This is has cause malfunctions in some HKs with this ammo. Namely an HK45 that needed to be put in a vice to open the slide after firing a round and the case expanded in the chamber and wouldn't extract easily.

This has been discussed at length at HKPro.

Personally I've never had an issue with Speer Gold Dot, HSTs, or Ranger Ts in any of my USP45s or HK45s

Good luck!

LockedBreech
12-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Beware that a few people have had issues with Hornady defensive ammunition in HKs.

Hornadys case OAL is too long and does not fit properly in HK weapons which have tighter specs then most other handgun manufacturer chambers. This is has cause malfunctions in some HKs with this ammo. Namely an HK45 that needed to be put in a vice to open the slide after firing a round and the case expanded in the chamber and wouldn't extract easily.

Personally I've never had an issue with Speer Gold Dot, HSTs, or Ranger Ts in any of my USP45s or HK45s

Good luck!

Since I decided to stop chasing the ammo dragon and standardize to Gold Dot in every single caliber I carry, it has been a great relief to stop having to fret.

OlongJohnson
12-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Oh HELL yeah...

When you show up with that little baby and bandoliers of .22LR across your chest like Chewbacca, you OWN that barbecue.

Boxes of 50, right?

My understanding is that was years ago with certain lots or .45ACP only, and Hornady got it straightened out pretty quickly. Shouldn't be an issue at this point.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/09/jim-barrett/gun-review-hk-usp-tactical-45/

UPDATE 9/27/2012

I spoke with H&K Tech support, and guess what – there is a known incompatibility that H&Ks have with some of Hornady’s ammo. Hornady has admitted that some of their cases are over sized and this has been causing problems. The problem was supposedly resolved in June 2012, but my ammo pre-dates that month which is why I have the problem.

DocSabo40
12-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks for bringing that up, but that shouldn't be a problem. HSTs are all that I run for carry. Unless I'm going to a BBQ, then I load up the Black Talons so I can talk about them and their mystical powers constantly.

GJM
12-08-2016, 09:26 AM
I have shot approaching 500 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty 220+P through multiple USP 45 FS and HK45C pistols without issue. It is my JHP load.

LtDave
12-08-2016, 03:48 PM

Good luck!

My experience as well trying to run steel cased Hornady in a couple of HK .45's. No bueno. Run everything else 100%.

Lyonsgrid
12-08-2016, 09:19 PM
I've been thinking about dusting off a USP 9 and getting it back in service.

What's the word on the Trijicon HD sights on the USP 9? Specifically, are there any POA/POI issues? My only experience with HD's have been on Glock 17's and they hit 4" high at 25 yds for me using a top edge front sight hold.

GJM
12-08-2016, 09:28 PM
I've been thinking about dusting off a USP 9 and getting it back in service.

What's the word on the Trijicon HD sights on the USP 9? Specifically, are there any POA/POI issues? My only experience with HD's have been on Glock 17's and they hit 4" high at 25 yds for me using a top edge front sight hold.

I have a set on a USP FS 9 that regulate. HD sights on an HK seem to be between tip of front sight to drive the dot.

PNWTO
12-09-2016, 01:34 AM
Probably the best thread for this:

I have never seen it but do there exist MRDS milled into USPs or the Hk45 series? Thoughts? I believe a forum member here has a P30L with a RMR. It would be interesting to see how they track.

psalms144.1
12-09-2016, 10:03 PM
I have a set on a USP FS 9 that regulate. HD sights on an HK seem to be between tip of front sight to drive the dot.I only have one set of HDs in use now, on a HK45c. First range session and theyre' shooting about 6" low at 25 yards using tip of the front sight, and noticeably low even at close ranges "driving the dot ."

GJM
12-09-2016, 10:48 PM
I only have one set of HDs in use now, on a HK45c. First range session and theyre' shooting about 6" low at 25 yards using tip of the front sight, and noticeably low even at close ranges "driving the dot ."

Easy on the trigger. :)

psalms144.1
12-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Easy on the trigger. :)No doubt, shooter error is included in that variation. I'm also pretty sure I'm "burying" the dot trying to get it down into the roundish part of the rear notch - again, shooter error. But, the combination of the LEM trigger (versus the various strikers I've been shooting almost exclusively) and that notch design is playing hell with my shooting...

Luckily, my 45c is mostly a "play" gun, so I can get around to getting good with it when I have the time.

DocSabo40
12-17-2016, 04:48 PM
I had a chance to take my new USP40c stainless to the range and put 100 rounds through it. This is my first HK .40, it's surprising how well it soaks up the recoil. I'm fairly recoil sensitive, enough that I do not enjoy shooting a G23 or even a P229 .40 for any length of time. The USP is a totally different animal. My full-size USP9 with the LEM/match hybrid trigger should be here next week, that should be an absolute pleasure to shoot if the 40c is this tame.

GJM
12-17-2016, 04:54 PM
No doubt, shooter error is included in that variation. I'm also pretty sure I'm "burying" the dot trying to get it down into the roundish part of the rear notch - again, shooter error. But, the combination of the LEM trigger (versus the various strikers I've been shooting almost exclusively) and that notch design is playing hell with my shooting...

Luckily, my 45c is mostly a "play" gun, so I can get around to getting good with it when I have the time.

Refresh me, do you have light LEM?

DocSabo40
12-17-2016, 05:07 PM
No sir, this is one of the DA/SA guns that Bud's had on clearance. I'm waiting for my LEM gun to show up to see how we get along before making any changes to this one. Once I settle on either DA/SA or LEM, i'll make them all the same.

Speaking of which, is there a specific person I need to talk to at HK about installing the LEM/match parts on the inevitable next USPs that I get? I've written once and called once, and no one knows what I'm talking about. Didn't the Combat Competition come with basically (or actually?) an LEM/match hybrid trigger?

GJM
12-17-2016, 05:12 PM
No sir, this is one of the DA/SA guns that Bud's had on clearance. I'm waiting for my LEM gun to show up to see how we get along before making any changes to this one. Once I settle on either DA/SA or LEM, i'll make them all the same.

Speaking of which, is there a specific person I need to talk to at HK about installing the LEM/match parts on the inevitable next USPs that I get? I've written once and called once, and no one knows what I'm talking about. Didn't the Combat Competition come with basically (or actually?) an LEM/match hybrid trigger?

On the USP FS, call HK, select commercial customer service, speak with Beth or Link, and tell them you want the hybrid match LEM in your FS USP. On the USP C, tell them you want the hybrid match LEM less the trigger with the over travel screw, as that is not an option on the Compact. In the mean time, consider installing a variant 3 plate (decock only) and a Wolff 12 pound hammer spring in your FS or Compact, for a reasonable alternative until your LEM is installed.

Dr. No
12-18-2016, 10:26 AM
I carried a USP for ten years and made USPSA A class with a USP 40. Clocked approximately 58,000 rounds. I rarely replaced anything, mostly recoil springs. Cleaning under the extractor helped greatly. The 40 expert plastic mags with metal basepads worked great until the mag lips rip off.

If you're looking for USP's, PM me - I'm getting ready to liquidate my collection after the new year. I have 7, including holsters and upgraded LED UTL light.

Dagga Boy
12-18-2016, 11:07 AM
I carried a USP for ten years and made USPSA A class with a USP 40. Clocked approximately 58,000 rounds. I rarely replaced anything, mostly recoil springs. Cleaning under the extractor helped greatly. The 40 expert plastic mags with metal basepads worked great until the mag lips rip off.

If you're looking for USP's, PM me - I'm getting ready to liquidate my collection after the new year. I have 7, including holsters and upgraded LED UTL light.

Great advice. Our guns were disturbingly reliable until the recoil springs gave out (they should be replaced at ten thousand rounds, and not wait till the gun starts having issues at 25,000). Cleaning under the extractor was something we did as part of maintenance, and should be done during detail cleaning.

LED UTL......I call dibs.

JTQ
12-18-2016, 11:19 AM
The 40 expert plastic mags with metal basepads worked great until the mag lips rip off.
Is that something they worked their way to, you know some malfunctions that you weren't having before to give you an idea they were about to go, or did they just suddenly catastrophically fail and eject rounds all over the place.

Dr. No
12-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Great advice. Our guns were disturbingly reliable until the recoil springs gave out (they should be replaced at ten thousand rounds, and not wait till the gun starts having issues at 25,000). Cleaning under the extractor was something we did as part of maintenance, and should be done during detail cleaning.

LED UTL......I call dibs.

I gotcha covered :)

Dr. No
12-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Is that something they worked their way to, you know some malfunctions that you weren't having before to give you an idea they were about to go, or did they just suddenly catastrophically fail and eject rounds all over the place.

Nope. They generally just went tits up. The only clue was if you examined your mags regularly, you could see them crack in the back where the feedlips met the baseplate. Then it was only a matter of time before one good impact would turn it into a spring grenade.

GJM
12-18-2016, 11:40 AM

Were the metal base pads after market? I am using the OEM plastic magazines for my USP FS 9 and 40 with the OEM plastic base pads with the finger ledge.

CoGT3
12-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Were the metal base pads after market? I am using the OEM plastic magazines for my USP FS 9 and 40 with the OEM plastic base pads with the finger ledge.

Probably using the factory "Jet funnel". The mags are higher capacity with a metal insert in the top, opaque plastic body, and aluminum base.

They do make an all metal version of the magazines in 9 and 40. I have a few I use when my 9mm is pulling bedside duty. Have another dozen of the plastic ones that I use at the range. Never had a problem with them but if HK went to the trouble to make an all metal version they must know something I don't.

Will take a pic when I get home from work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dr. No
12-18-2016, 12:27 PM

No, these are the jet funnel mags. Plastic body, metal base pad. They work great, but they are a poor design. These guys : https://www.cdnnsports.com/usp40-full-sz-16rd-translucent.html

On the plus side, I had multiple kids in the hood say "Oh shit dawg, you gots them hollow points??"

JTQ
12-18-2016, 12:28 PM
They do make an all metal version of the magazines in 9 and 40.

I was unaware they made metal mags for the full size USP 9 and 40 guns. I am aware the .45 full size and compact, and the 9 and 40 compacts had metal mags, but I thought all the full size 9 and 40's were polymer.

Dr. No
12-18-2016, 12:28 PM
You are correct. IIRC, the all metals were Korean, not factory HK.

CoGT3
12-18-2016, 01:18 PM
These are the metal mags I was referring to, they are for the jet funnel attachment. Not standard 15 rd mags.

https://us.hkwebshop.com/HKWebShop/show/byItemID/10117//372///////////true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OlongJohnson
12-18-2016, 01:23 PM
^^^Beat me to it. That's what I'm talking about here:

There are also the steel-shell, polymer-overmold 18-round Jet Funnel mags, but they are only for 9mm. Black, not translucent, with the heavy steel base plate, so easily recognized. Definitely heavier than an all-polymer standard mag. They are not recommended against by HK for serious use. They are discussed by many who post at HKPro as likely the most durable, bomb-proof mags ever made for a USP. HK Web Store's Black Friday deal worked out to $45 each, including freight and tax, as long as you bought in increments of three.

psalms144.1
12-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Refresh me, do you have light LEM?Yes, sir. Light LEM, match sear.

DocSabo40
12-18-2016, 10:34 PM
I just realized that GJM wasn't talking to me with the LEM question. My bad.