PDA

View Full Version : "The War On Cops" by Heather Mac Donald

KeithH
12-04-2016, 07:23 PM
I just saw an interview with her on PBS. She gave a very credible interview and a strong pushback on President Obama and BLM. Outstanding actually. Never heard of her before. Anybody read her book yet?

blues
12-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Wasn't aware of it. Thanks for mentioning. Gonna check it out.

JTQ
12-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I haven't watched this one from her at Hillsdale College https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Fr-xKukco

but I have seen a video or two of hers from Prager University (lots of other great stuff at this site too) https://www.prageru.com/courses/race-relations/are-police-racist

BaiHu
12-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Seen her study somewhere back in the summer. Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

blues
12-04-2016, 08:12 PM
The book had me at hello...

From the prologue:

As the most anti-law-enforcement administration in memory draws to a close, crime is shooting up in cities across the United States. Homicides in the country’s 50 largest cities rose nearly 17 percent in 2015, the greatest surge in fatal violence in a quarter-century, reports the Washington Post. Milwaukee was experiencing its deadliest year in a decade. Homicides in Baltimore were at their highest per capita rate ever by mid-November—50 killings per 100,000 residents. “Crime is the worst I’ve ever seen it,” said St. Louis alderman Joe Vaccaro at a City Hall hearing in May 2015. President Obama himself conceded that “gun violence and homicides have spiked—and in some cases they’ve spiked significantly.”

Gray222
12-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Not really new info for anyone who has been paying attention. We knew he was going to be very anti le from the get go but the depth of his anti le hatred surprised most of us.

It is good there is finally a spotlight on this topic.

blues
12-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Not really new info for anyone who has been paying attention. We knew he was going to be very anti le from the get go but the depth of his anti le hatred surprised most of us.

It is good there is finally a spotlight on this topic.

Certainly not new...but refreshing to see it in print so that I don't feel like I'm the only one who feels frustrated by what should be painfully obvious to all. (Of course I know that there are many other like minded souls here...but that doesn't stop me ranting and muttering out of anger and frustration much more than is my habit.)

By the way...I've only read a few brief chapters of the book thus far but what I've read is very well presented.

Gray222
12-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Certainly not new...but refreshing to see it in print so that I don't feel like I'm the only one who feels frustrated by what should be painfully obvious to all. (Of course I know that there are many other like minded souls here...but that doesn't stop me ranting and muttering out of anger and frustration much more than is my habit.)

By the way...I've only read a few brief chapters of the book thus far but what I've read is very well presented.

Of course it's good to see. It would be better if the top job in the country went out of his way to make it known and have confidence and support surge. This seems to be the case now, which is good. We need it.

Totem Polar
12-05-2016, 02:55 AM
That book is sitting by my nightstand right now, but I haven't even cracked it. Following.

UNM1136
12-05-2016, 05:09 AM
When the book came out I decided to order it, started it, put it down. While I was at it I bought 2 copies, one for me at home, one for the break room at work. I put it down not for any real flaws, just got busy. I would like to have seen an annotated bibliography along in it.

pat

RJ
12-05-2016, 07:52 AM
I've seen her interviews on this topic, pretty smart lady.

Her data is very convincing.

Of course, when you have Obama inviting BLM to the White House and chuckling that, you know, these young people are "better organized than I was", the facts face an uphill struggle.

KeithH
12-05-2016, 08:02 AM
In the interview on PBS's American Forum she is so bold as to accuse President Obama of outright lying about the data concerning police shootings. She delivers that message professionally and credibly without malice.

Refreshing to hear a new voice.