PDA

View Full Version : Mora Companion on sale, $8.21 shipped from Amazon Prime

LittleLebowski
12-03-2016, 09:16 AM
Can't say no at this price... I took down an entire deer, including cracking bones with an expensive, older $15 Mora :D

Amazon link (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZAIXSC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ratio07-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B004ZAIXSC&linkId=5d730ed386af33fd4ab314fa0e8fef72)

blues
12-03-2016, 09:19 AM
As I just posted in the Black Friday thread...

Mora...Eriksson and Frost Knives are some great inexpensive knives for woodworking and utility work at home and in the field. I have a bunch of them around the house, shop and in my packs.

JM Campbell
12-03-2016, 10:10 AM
0rder enough for free shipping, should last me a while. ;)
Thanks Tom, LL and Blues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

blues
12-03-2016, 10:27 AM
0rder enough for free shipping, should last me a while. ;)
Thanks Tom, LL and Blues.

You're welcome, JM. Here's a very useful treatise (https://www.ragweedforge.com/scanshrp.html) on sharpening / maintaining Scandinavian knives.

A couple more useful links...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKkhyjV5Rc

https://youtu.be/Lm53mCOQTR8

Drang
12-03-2016, 11:04 AM
If I lived a couple of states to the south I would be whining about how Least Coasters have an unfair advantage when it comes to sharing good deals...

Mora knives are a Deal of the Day on amazon today, I just can't figure out how to post the PF link to the deal. The Companion is the real deal there, so to speak, but if there are others.

Grey
12-03-2016, 11:07 AM
You can save even more if you order it ORANGE. $8.05 with Prime.

I bought 4 cause... thats the max number they gave me to add to cart...

blues
12-03-2016, 11:19 AM

The Mora the merrier. (A little seasonal humor.)

(Ducking and running.)

Hambo
12-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

Hambo
12-03-2016, 02:42 PM
There's nothing to figure out. Just post the link to Amazon (or Brownells, or pretty much anywhere really) and there is magic software behind the scenes that converts it into an affiliate link when someone clicks on it. :cool:

Then here's the link to the orange handle, free shipping for Prime members:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EOJAKI/ref=twister_B00EF2RUD4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

SAWBONES
12-03-2016, 02:46 PM
What a deal!
Thanks for posting that, "Dude".

1911nerd
12-03-2016, 03:33 PM
You guys cost me money. I used this knife (or maybe the slightly thicker one; need to go look) to gut four deer this year with little sharpening in between (two my own, one for a newbie, and one for a visiting hunter). Even at full price, they're better than knives 5x the cost. No one else on the ranch had heard of Mora and everyone wanted a picture for later after they got to handle it. Great kit in my opinion, though I'm not really a "knife guy".

ETA: anyone here have recommendations on stones for sharpening?

Drang
12-03-2016, 04:33 PM
There's nothing to figure out. Just post the link to Amazon (or Brownells, or pretty much anywhere really) and there is magic software behind the scenes that converts it into an affiliate link when someone clicks on it. :cool:

Amazon.com: Save Big On Morakniv: Sports & Outdoors (https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_14743190011_gbps_rlm_s-3_bb19_d94e1550?rh=i%3Asporting%2Cn%3A14743190011&ie=UTF8&lo=outdoor-recreation&emi=ATVPDKIKX0DER&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&node=14743190011&lo=outdoor-recreation)

So if they select one of the knives listed here PF will get it's cut?

SLG
12-03-2016, 06:26 PM
You guys cost me money. I used this knife (or maybe the slightly thicker one; need to go look) to gut four deer this year with little sharpening in between (two my own, one for a newbie, and one for a visiting hunter). Even at full price, they're better than knives 5x the cost. No one else on the ranch had heard of Mora and everyone wanted a picture for later after they got to handle it. Great kit in my opinion, though I'm not really a "knife guy".

ETA: anyone here have recommendations on stones for sharpening?

I use a pocket steel from F. Dick to keep them sharp in the field. I also have a ceramic/diamond stone from Fallkniven. I wish it had a fine side, instead of the diamond, so I also have a Spyderco double stuff. All of these are for everyday use in the field.

At home I have full size ceramic stones from spyderco. Any of these options will work very well.

My most used knives are the Skookum Bush Tool line, but I have more than a couple of Moras, including the green one in the link, and they are fantastic knives, especially well suited to backpack hunts where weight matters. I cleaned several deer one day with mine, and it worked wonderfully. My wife than took it for her own use. :-)

blues
12-03-2016, 06:56 PM
I use a pocket steel from F. Dick to keep them sharp in the field. I also have a ceramic/diamond stone from Fallkniven. I wish it had a fine side, instead of the diamond, so I also have a Spyderco double stuff. All of these are for everyday use in the field.

At home I have full size ceramic stones from spyderco. Any of these options will work very well.

My most used knives are the Skookum Bush Tool line, but I have more than a couple of Moras, including the green one in the link, and they are fantastic knives, especially well suited to backpack hunts where weight matters. I cleaned several deer one day with mine, and it worked wonderfully. My wife than took it for her own use. :-)

I have a ton of sharpening equipment but also tend to (mostly) rely upon a few DMT diamond hones for steel removal and any one of several Spyderco ceramic hones, (double-stuff, bench stones, tri-angle stones etc) for finish work.

The beauty of the scandi grind is that you can pretty much lay it flat and go to work since very few have a secondary bevel. I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.

Willard
12-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Thanks LL. I picked up a couple.

SLG
12-03-2016, 08:35 PM
I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.

I've never had an issue with rounding, but I typically only run it 3 or 4 times per side. Super light, really almost no pressure at all, and slow. It really is just for realignment. Seems to work very well. Nonetheless, I'm very curious now about the flat steels you have. I'm only familiar with the standard round ones.

blues
12-03-2016, 08:42 PM
I've never had an issue with rounding, but I typically only run it 3 or 4 times per side. Super light, really almost no pressure at all, and slow. It really is just for realignment. Seems to work very well. Nonetheless, I'm very curious now about the flat steels you have. I'm only familiar with the standard round ones.

Gerber in recent years made one called the "Sportsman's Steel".

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5444690/il_570xN.351970114.jpg

Schrade also:

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/schrade/images/HS1.jpg

SLG
12-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Actually, I have seen those before. Not knowing much about them, I wrote them off for field use, as they simply carry more metal than I thought needed. Too bad they are now discontinued though, I would pick one up just to try it.

ST911
12-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Can't say no at this price... I took down an entire deer, including cracking bones with an expensive, older $15 Mora :D

Amazon link (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZAIXSC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ratio07-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B004ZAIXSC&linkId=5d730ed386af33fd4ab314fa0e8fef72)

Grabbed some, thanks LL.

blues
12-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Actually, I have seen those before. Not knowing much about them, I wrote them off for field use, as they simply carry more metal than I thought needed. Too bad they are now discontinued though, I would pick one up just to try it.

I rarely use any steels anymore, I prefer ultra-fine ceramic rods.

I forgot I also have one of these smooth folding steels from Razor Edge Systems that I occasionally use around the house or shop for the heck of it:

http://webreeds.com/wrstore/images/55.jpg

SeriousStudent
12-04-2016, 12:47 AM

I have two. One is yours if you wish it.

The are actually pretty handy not just to touch up a blade, but to split a deer pelvis.

JCS
12-04-2016, 08:54 AM
I have a ton of sharpening equipment but also tend to (mostly) rely upon a few DMT diamond hones for steel removal and any one of several Spyderco ceramic hones, (double-stuff, bench stones, tri-angle stones etc) for finish work.

The beauty of the scandi grind is that you can pretty much lay it flat and go to work since very few have a secondary bevel. I tend not to use a steel just to avoid any rounding off though I have some flat ones that would work.

Do you recommend a secondary bevel?

I do all my sharpening on a spyderco sharpmaker and a strop. I know the sharpmaker utilizes the secondary bevel.

I picked up a couple of these for gifts and an extra to try out. Great price.

blues
12-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Do you recommend a secondary bevel?

I do all my sharpening on a spyderco sharpmaker and a strop. I know the sharpmaker utilizes the secondary bevel.

I picked up a couple of these for gifts and an extra to try out. Great price.

Not on a scandi knife. You want to maintain the bevel it came with which is essentially flat all the way to the edge.

Check the links I posted above regarding sharpening. You're essentially going to just lay the whole primary bevel flat to your stone or ceramic rod and hone or sharpen the edge as needed.

On a Sharpmaker, instead of holding the blade vertically and allowing the base to create a 15 or 20 degree angle, you're going to just lay the blade flat against the stone whether it's in the jig or in your hand.

SLG
12-04-2016, 11:10 AM
The only exception to no secondary bevel on a scandi grind is if that is your only knife (even at the moment), and you need to do much (or really any, depending on your steel and hardness) work on hardwood. I have put a micro bevel on a few knives over the years and it really works well for hardwood. The scandi was really made for softer wood. If you do the micro bevel correctly, it is very easy to switch back to the true scandi when your needs change again.

SLG
12-04-2016, 11:11 AM
I have two. One is yours if you wish it.

The are actually pretty handy not just to touch up a blade, but to split a deer pelvis.

That is very generous of you! PM sent.

blues
12-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Agree, SLG. I have one or two scandi grinds that either came with or that I applied a small secondary bevel to for woodwork or a task that would otherwise ding up a zero or full flat grind at the edge. For the most part, I think those Nordic knife makers knew their business. I have quite a few production and a few custom knives from Sweden, Finland and Norway. Love 'em. They remind me a lot of true Japanese tanto blades from prior centuries...not the common "tanto" that people have come to associate with the name.

voodoo_man
12-04-2016, 11:37 AM
You are all enablers.

blues
12-04-2016, 11:40 AM
You are all enablers.

Look on the bright side. It's only a few bucks. ;)

Drang
12-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Bought two: One for HH6, and one for the family gift exchange. I suggested one in a pretty color for the women's gifts in the gift exchange, but she is convinced that her family would not be interested. I am not so sure, but they're her relatives...

rd62
12-04-2016, 04:56 PM
I picked up some as stocking stuffers. One for me too.

Lester Polfus
12-04-2016, 05:19 PM
My wife and I both carry these as lightweight fixed blades in our day hike bags. I've batoned reasonably thick wood with them with no problem, and as many others on here have mentioned cleaned deer and small game with them. They take a good edge, hold it through quite a bit of work, and are pretty rust resistant. They are cheap enough (even at the regular price) to stash in vehicles and various emergency kits.

I've got "nicer" knives, but only because I'm a nerd. If these were the only fixed blades I owned, I would not feel impoverished.

Willard
12-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Back up to $12.99...didn't last long (still not bad).

Drang
12-04-2016, 07:43 PM
Back up to $12.99...didn't last long (still not bad).

This is the nature of Amazon Daily and Lightning Deals.

LSP552
12-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Look on the bright side. It's only a few bucks. ;)

And that's definitely an exception for this place:D

Grey
12-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Mine showed up and the wife already stole one to "cut fruit at work." Use one in the kitchen and then two spares.

JCS
12-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Got these in. Initial impressions are very positive for an $8 knife.

Looks are deceiving with this knife. It looks like it wouldn't be worth a darn but it cuts really nice. I like the Scandinavian grind so far. Excellent buy for $8. We will see how long it holds and edge but It came shaving sharp.

LittleLebowski
12-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Got mine yesterday. I got more than I thought I had ordered, need to see if that was drunk ordering, a snafu on Amazon's part, or a gift from someone.

RoyGBiv
12-07-2016, 10:26 AM
The Folts minimalist (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030IT76C/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_CRKTHOL1_cdl_14?pf_rd_m=ATVPDK IKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=ZXGHVBDA78E7YVJ7Q6Z8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f7403f6d-5ac3-4447-8445-d1ddfc297ca8&pf_rd_i=15003632011) is on sale today... $15.91 Prime.
I know it had it's own thread when it was ~$20 at Lowes recently... I'm lazy today..

ETA...
SPEW (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006SK0SP8/ref=s9_acsd_bw_wf_a_CRKTHOL1_mdl?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=PGMVYWF975TQJ13M2AFX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f7403f6d-5ac3-4447-8445-d1ddfc297ca8&pf_rd_i=15003632011) is $19.26 Prime

LockedBreech
12-31-2016, 01:50 AM
Just did a $250 supplement to my Subaru Outback's emergency supplies after a particularly brutal winter with a lot of people getting temporarily stranded. Got high-calorie emergency food, better jumper cables, water, firesteel, matches, blankets, collapsible shovel, refreshed the first aid kit, got a fire extinguisher, made sure all my flashlights were new LED models with good batteries, etc. I did finally commit to storing my old, beat up Glock 23 and a spare magazine with a holster, but in an attempt to be responsible about it I put it in a lockbox, stored it down in the hidden spare tire well, and anti-cut cable'd it to the vehicle frame.

Anyway, as part of the overhaul, I decided to throw in a general purpose glovebox utility knife and grabbed a black Morakniv Companion for $14. We'll see. Oddly good reviews for the price, so I'll try to have realistic expectations. I don't really feel like dropping money on a fancier blade right now and already have a KA-BAR and Leatherman Wave in the back with the emergency gear for heavier work.