PDA

View Full Version : USPSA Fee questions

Cory
12-02-2016, 06:38 PM
There is only one club near me that has USPSA, and I'm very interested in shooting USPSA. http://bgslinc.com/

Let me know if I have this right or if I'm wrong:
$15 for joining BGSL. http://bgslinc.com/membership/
$10 for BGSL gate card.
$20 for BGSL membership, monthly.
$20 for BGSL "Pistol Division" membership, yearly. http://bgslinc.com/pistol-division/
$15 for USPSA match fee. http://bgslinc.com/uspsa-bgsl/
$25 for USPSA Associate membership. https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-join-renew.php

So that is $105 just to get to shoot my first match?

The club is around an hour from me, and is the only one anywhere near me that offers USPSA pistol matches. Is it really that expensive just to get my foot in the door and trying out shooting USPSA? When the only clubs that offer USPSA come with so many fees and high yearly dues, it is no wonder that the sport has trouble growing. The often chimed "Just go shoot a match and try it, you'll love it" seems a little out of touch. I already have the expense of driving there, ammo, food, and USPSA membership fee... plus all these club fees?

I emailed the club to make sure I'm understanding everything correctly, and I asked them about becoming a member to shoot USPSA. They haven't seen fit to reply to my email in a month. So should I just give up on the notion of shooting USPSA until I can afford to drop $105 for my first match, and $20 monthly (plus $15 per match) there after? If that's the case I may as well abandon the idea of USPSA all together.

Are the places you folks shoot a similar affair? I want to shoot USPSA. I think it sounds like a lot of fun, and helps keep a shooter honed. But dang.

-Cory

ranger
12-02-2016, 06:50 PM
I cannot answer about that specific club. However, at many clubs, you do not have to be a member to shoot a competitive event such as USPSA. Therefore you would pay a match fee only and typically join USPSA later. My local private IDPA club just requires match fee and encourages non-club members to shoot. How do you define "near" - when I was a active USPSA shooter I drove all over the Southeast.

Mr_White
12-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Pretty much what ranger said.

I can't speak to whether the club will make you join the club in order to shoot a USPSA match at that club, but I've never seen that. USPSA does not require you to be a USPSA member in order to shoot a local (Level 1) USPSA match. You do have to be a USPSA member to earn a classification or enter a Level 2 or higher match.

I think you can probably shoot the match for $20, plus your ammo and travel expenses. Really not sure about the club fee/membership stuff though.

Cory
12-02-2016, 06:58 PM
I cannot answer about that specific club. However, at many clubs, you do not have to be a member to shoot a competitive event such as USPSA. Therefore you would pay a match fee only and typically join USPSA later. My local private IDPA club just requires match fee and encourages non-club members to shoot. How do you define "near" - when I was a active USPSA shooter I drove all over the Southeast.

Near as in it is the only one that is close enough for me to regularly attended matches. It is about an hour away (45ish miles), there is one other club an hour an 38 minutes away (105ish miles). It's awesome that you had the ability and the means to travel over the entire region to shoot matches. I do not have that ability, but perhaps someday I will.

Right now I define near as a club that I could attend enough to become a "regular" with at least one match performance a month.

As far as not needing to be a member, there is mention of the match costing $20 for non members. But I haven't heard anything back from the club. Doesn't make it seem like a great place to go have fun at a match when they don't even respond to folks who WANT to shoot with them.

-Cory

olstyn
12-02-2016, 06:59 PM

My experience with USPSA mirrors yours. Match fee only is typical. I am not a club member at either of the clubs I regularly shoot USPSA matches at (although I am a USPSA member). You don't actually need to be a USPSA member to shoot club level matches, and I know people who've been shooting matches for 4 years and aren't USPSA members. The only catch to that is that you don't get classified until you become a USPSA member. If you're just looking to try it out, I'd say show up at a match with your match fee ready. Unless it's a REALLY lame club, they're not going to turn away your money. It may even be a requirement of being a USPSA match that it be open to the public. I'm not sure, though - those who know can (and I'm sure will) correct me if I'm wrong on that point.

Peally
12-02-2016, 11:11 PM
If the club is charging you 65 bucks for the mere ability to show up and pay to shoot a USPSA match that's incredibly shitty, and I'd imagine impossible to retain enough shooters to make it worth it.

I can almost guarantee unless they're insane all you need to do is show up and pay your match fee. Some places do a fee discount for range members, but that's about it.

I drive a couple hours for a good USPSA match too, I feel your pain there.

Luke
12-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Driving around and going new places is half the fun man!

Also, most clubs seem to be run by middle aged guys who don't know how to turn on a computer, call them and ask!

Lomshek
12-03-2016, 01:36 AM
I'm the match director for my local club.

Our match entry fee is $15 for adults and $5 for anyone under 18. No club membership is required to shoot.

As an added bonus if this is the shooter's first competitive shooting event ever (not just with us) the newbie shooter shoots free.

It wouldn't surprise me if an email request went unanswered as half of them probably go to some inbox that was setup and never checked. Maybe USPSA has a phone number for the match director.

Good luck Cory.

ETA - Some clubs charge an extra $5 if you're not a member but that's it. I don't travel much but can't imagine a club expecting everyone to be a member to compete as that guarantees no one will ever come from elsewhere.

Sal Picante
12-03-2016, 02:50 AM
I know a few folks down around there... lemme see who I might be able to talk to. BGSL is a nice place to blast.

There aren't that many clubs that require membership in USPSA tonshoot a local - my club is unique in that we do require it since wed be swamped in a Wednesday night with beginners. Spec to shoot indoors around Chicago is pretty limited, additionally, we've got a limited amount of time and space.

Leroy
12-03-2016, 05:40 AM
The match has two different entry fees if your a club member or not. Therefore, show up, pay $20, shoot, and have fun.

GuanoLoco
12-03-2016, 08:26 AM
The match has two different entry fees if your a club member or not. Therefore, show up, pay $20, shoot, and have fun.

Register if possible, show up, pay your $20 or whatever and shoot. You are making this harder than it is.

I'm on the Board at a 1000 member club. Remember these are VOLUNTEER jobs and professional management skills / technology / process efficiency is probably not in the core skill set of most of the volunteers.

I'm the Treasurer and self-elected CIO. So far, it's a crap-ton of work but fortunately the pay sucks. Feel free to call and complain about my performance and I'll offer you the job.

Cory
12-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Register if possible, show up, pay your $20 or whatever and shoot. You are making this harder than it is.

I'm on the Board at a 1000 member club. Remember these are VOLUNTEER jobs and professional management skills / technology / process efficiency is probably not in the core skill set of most of the volunteers.

I'm the Treasurer and self-elected CIO. So far, it's a crap-ton of work but fortunately the pay sucks. Feel free to call and complain about my performance and I'll offer you the job.

I didn't mean to make it harder then it is, but there really isn't anywhere that spells out how fees work. It isn't explained on the website of the particular club I'm looking at, and it doesn't say anywhere that membership isn't required. I assumed the match fee was less for "Pistol division" members. So I came here to ask some questions of other more experienced USPSA shooters about how their match fees and memberships work.

Not real sure who pissed in your cornflakes. I didn't attack you at all. I didn't say I would do better. I'm sorry that you do a crap-ton of work for no pay. You gave yourself that job and I'm sure your clubs members appreciate it. You obviously find it rewarding somehow or you wouldn't do it. I never said this was a full time paying job for anyone or that I expect anyone to be perfect. I certainly don't. But if you don't like your job then quit. I had a few questions to ask and you take it as a personal attack, and respond with condescension. There was no reason for that. You could have told me how it works where you are, how most clubs your were aware of work, said not to worry about it, and good luck have fun. Instead you thought to yourself "This person on the internet wants to do something that I know more about then them! I should be a prick!" Real classy bud.

I'll give the club a call, and try to speak with someone in person. If membership is not required for USPSA matches then I will not join. I do however intend to join USPSA either way, as I would like to get a ranking so that I can use it as somewhat of a gauge of my progress as a shooter. Perhaps I can find a closer range to frequent for practice, and then shoot matches at BGSL.

@Les Pepperoni please don't feel the need to look into it. I'll give them a call. I really appreciate your attitude toward helping another shooter pursue the sporting world. You a truly an asset to the sport and this forum.

-Cory

Luke
12-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Cory I know guano and I can promise you he didn't mean anything bad by that. I think he was just re affirming that emailing these people will probably lead to nothing. He is really old too, like 103, so he might just be off his rocker :)

Cory
12-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Cory I know guano and I can promise you he didn't mean anything bad by that. I think he was just re affirming that emailing these people will probably lead to nothing. He is really old too, like 103, so he might just be off his rocker :)

Age, at either end of the spectrum, is not an excuse for being rude. My previous statements stand. Not much of an ambassador.

Either way, I'm not the type to get pissy over trivial things. And he is one of several members now to inform me that I don't need to be a club member to shoot. As a treasurer for what I would consider a large club that hosts USPSA, his experience is definitely valued. I never said thanks for the info. That is poor form on my part.

Thank you Guano for the additional info from a large club perspective. Now that you and several other members here have chimed in, I have a better understanding of how range fees related to USPSA fees. I appreciate your help with that.

-Cory

miller_man
12-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Lol, this thread reminded me of when I first started shooting competetively (sp?). Cor_man, I did the same thing - emailed the club to make sure I would be able to shoot - took like 2 weeks to get a response (the match had already came and went), and the response was like 3 words "ya, thats right". I took a little offense to it.

But once I started going to matches, it became clear why. There is usually just enough help/volunteers/people willing to put on the matches to get them set up and able to happen each week/month. And usually the guys/gals doing so have been doing it longer than they want. And answering emails in their free time is probably not a big priority (for good or bad). I feel really fortunate now to have 2 clubs that I can go to that are very savvy and easy to communicate with, even with super advanced email.

But, good for you - go shoot a match, get hooked and get involved and make the sport better with/for the younger guys like yourself (and kinda me) :D.

GuanoLoco
12-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Wow, I wasn't intending or expecting a reaction at all. I come back and realize I missed all the excitement.

Cor_man you are welcome. Just trying to give you some context on how things work.

I was just as frustrated and am trying to do something about it at my club. I have a respectable education, technical and business background and it turns out to be much more or a challenge that I would expect. Of course most of the work is done by 12 board members, 20 or so match directors and a small cast of supporting volunteers. There are regular cycles of burnout.

As often as not they are not all on the same page about, well, anything.

Frankly I am amazed it (clubs, matches, etc.) works as well as it does. Keep in mind that these are (generally) not for-profit operations.

Come and shoot matches. If you enjoy them try to find a way to give back.

Maybe you can sucker the match director into running the matches one more year.

olstyn
12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Come and shoot matches. If you enjoy them try to find a way to give back.

This statement is what it's all about. It's totally a volunteer-run sport, and even if people can do something as simple as (regularly) helping with setup and/or teardown, it makes things run a lot smoother and keeps the match directors thinking the effort they put in is worth it.

Peally
12-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Driving around and going new places is half the fun man!

Hiking Yellowstone =/= driving 4 hours through pine trees to see an ubiquitous sand pit ;)

Sal Picante
12-03-2016, 09:04 PM
I know a few folks down around there... lemme see who I might be able to talk to. BGSL is a nice place to blast.

There aren't that many clubs that require membership in USPSA tonshoot a local - my club is unique in that we do require it since wed be swamped in a Wednesday night with beginners. Spec to shoot indoors around Chicago is pretty limited, additionally, we've got a limited amount of time and space.

I shot a note out - hope that Leroy's post was in the right direction...

bofe954
12-03-2016, 10:37 PM
If all you're going to do is shoot a local match once a month you don't need to join USPSA either. If they don't have a classifier at the match you are going to go to, there really is no point in being a USPSA member for that match.

jthhapkido
12-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Note also: Often the club contact person is NOT necessarily the match contact person. (Many times, the people who run discipline-specific matches are volunteers who love that sport, and so they aren't necessarily club officials or anything.) I don't know who exactly you tried to email, so if you emailed the match director, I'm sorry to hear they couldn't respond to a simple email in a timely fashion. If the person you tried to email wasn't the the match director, though, while that may say something about the club/range, that doesn't necessarily say anything about the match and match staff.

As many people have said: In most places, you do NOT have to be a member of the club/range to shoot USPSA matches there. (That's actually part of the USPSA affiliation agreement, that USPSA members must be allowed to shoot unless certain circumstances occur.)

When all else fails, call the match director or match contact person directly, and go through the anguish of having to speak directly to someone (bleck!). Generally, you'll find they are happy to give info and get you into competition shooting.

Cory
12-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Note also: Often the club contact person is NOT necessarily the match contact person. (Many times, the people who run discipline-specific matches are volunteers who love that sport, and so they aren't necessarily club officials or anything.) I don't know who exactly you tried to email, so if you emailed the match director, I'm sorry to hear they couldn't respond to a simple email in a timely fashion. If the person you tried to email wasn't the the match director, though, while that may say something about the club/range, that doesn't necessarily say anything about the match and match staff.

As many people have said: In most places, you do NOT have to be a member of the club/range to shoot USPSA matches there. (That's actually part of the USPSA affiliation agreement, that USPSA members must be allowed to shoot unless certain circumstances occur.)

When all else fails, call the match director or match contact person directly, and go through the anguish of having to speak directly to someone (bleck!). Generally, you'll find they are happy to give info and get you into competition shooting.

I don't think speaking with someone in person is anguishing. Shooting off a quick email is pretty convenient though.

After not getting email back from them (Club not match director) I decided I would reach out here and see what other people's experience was. I've pretty much got my question answered. I do however wish that clubs would make the fact club membership isn't required a little clearer on their website.

At any rate thanks for your help everyone.

-Cory

olstyn
12-07-2016, 06:42 PM
You'll have to let us know how the match goes/whether you enjoyed it/etc after you shoot it. Best of luck, and hopefully you find it as fun as I do.

Peally
12-07-2016, 06:47 PM
I can echo as a small time match director the last couple years, while I will try to get back to people immediately if they shoot me an email I'm the only one on the club board in their twenties. Club staff aren't always young techie guys related to the match, but if you do need them a phone call is usually the route to go.

Slalom.45
01-03-2017, 12:23 PM
I am new to shooting matches so my experience is limited. So far of the 4 clubs I have shot IDPA or USPSA at none charged me for my first match. All were very encouraging with a "new shooter" waiver. On return you pay the match fee, but none made me join the club or national organization.