PDA

View Full Version : Petraeus for SoS?

RoyGBiv
12-01-2016, 03:10 PM
As much as I respect what he's accomplished in his .mil career, it's impossible for me to get behind Petraeus for SoS.

- He's plead guilty to mishandling classified materials
- He's in cahoots with Mark Kelly (http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/politics/david-petraeus-mark-kelly-gun-control/) for more "common sense gun control (http://americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/2016/06/10/veterans/)"

First 2 goals are pure liberal pablum. http://www.iraqiraq.net/forum/images/smilies1/puke.gif

The coalition is focused on engaging other veterans and elected leaders by:

Urging our elected leaders to close the loopholes in our background check laws that let felons, domestic abusers and the dangerously mentally ill buy guns without a criminal background check.
Strengthening existing laws and ensuring lawmakers and stakeholders have the resources and training they need to prevent gun tragedies.
Partnering with other groups in the veterans community on suicide prevention and mental health.

Should he get a pass? As I understand it, a Cabinet appointment would require a pardon...

TGS
12-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Should he get a pass?

No.

Bigguy
12-01-2016, 03:22 PM
As much as I respect what he's accomplished in his .mil career, it's impossible for me to get behind Petraeus for SoS.

- He's in cahoots with Mark Kelly (http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/politics/david-petraeus-mark-kelly-gun-control/) for more "common sense gun control (http://americansforresponsiblesolutions.org/2016/06/10/veterans/)"

First 2 goals are pure liberal pablum. http://www.iraqiraq.net/forum/images/smilies1/puke.gif

Should he get a pass? As I understand it, a Cabinet appointment would require a pardon...
^^^^ THIS!!

blues
12-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Betray-us? I reckon not. And I've had as much as I can take of Kelly as well, thank you very much.

CS Tactical
12-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Hell no!

NEPAKevin
12-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Ambassador John Bolton was my pick for SoS.

Spurholder
12-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Not him, please, Mr. President-elect.

VT1032
12-01-2016, 04:03 PM
I think he'd make a brilliant SoS, but no, not after what he did. If it was just getting caught with his pants around his ankles, that'd be one thing, but knowingly passing classified documents to said piece of ass is another matter entirely. If he is appointed, then Trump has precisely no ground to stand on regarding Hillary Clinton and it would make him look like an even bigger hypocritical ass.

Mike C
12-01-2016, 05:01 PM
I think he'd make a brilliant SoS, but no, not after what he did. If it was just getting caught with his pants around his ankles, that'd be one thing, but knowingly passing classified documents to said piece of ass is another matter entirely. If he is appointed, then Trump has precisely no ground to stand on regarding Hillary Clinton and it would make him look like an even bigger hypocritical ass.

Well said.

CS Tactical
12-01-2016, 05:17 PM
The new SoD is quite impressive...

Edwin
12-01-2016, 06:04 PM
If Gen. Petreaus becomes Secretary of State, his computers and office will be subject to warrant-less searches by his probation officer. He would also have to check in with his probation officer before leaving western NC. After hammering away at Hillary for so long about mishandling classified stuff, it would be hypocritical to pick Petreaus.

Nephrology
12-01-2016, 06:56 PM

Yeah.... agreed. His gun control stance is whatever but the bigger issue is the mishandling of classified documents. That is an inexcusable breach of professionalism that should disqualify him immediately for any political office higher than chair of the local PTA.

TGS
12-01-2016, 07:01 PM
For the 3 people (thus far) who've answered "Sure!" to the poll, can you reply to the thread with your thought process?

GardoneVT
12-01-2016, 07:15 PM
If Gen. Petreaus becomes Secretary of State, his computers and office will be subject to warrant-less searches by his probation officer. He would also have to check in with his probation officer before leaving western NC. After hammering away at Hillary for so long about mishandling classified stuff, it would be hypocritical to pick Petreaus.

Not nearly as hypocritical as declining to investigate Hillary Clinton for the same classified info mishandling. Good thing he didn't bloviate about that during his campaign, or Trump would really look dumb..........

Edwin
12-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Not nearly as hypocritical as declining to investigate Hillary Clinton for the same classified info mishandling. Good thing he didn't bloviate about that during his campaign, or Trump would really look dumb..........
Not that he needs any help with that. Between those two things and filing the cabinet with Goldman Sachs people, I'm wondering when people are going to realize they've been conned.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
12-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Don't want Petraeus.

RJ
12-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Don't want Petraeus.

+1.

There are better choices.

Did I see Condy Rice mentioned as being in vicinity of Trump Tower this week?

Arbninftry
12-01-2016, 08:16 PM
I. was stationed at Ft. Campbell when he was CG of the 101st NonAirborne division. He is a hypocrite. He hammered and ruined lives for what he did. The mistress and mishandling of CLASSIFIED materials is a career ended and jail time for some.
There are better option. Condi Rice would really be better than anyone discussed so far.
Mittens is a douche also.

And now back to my regularly scheduled evening. My one year old just shit everywhere! I mean everywhere. It's insane.

blues
12-01-2016, 08:43 PM
I. was stationed at Ft. Campbell when he was CG of the 101st NonAirborne division. He is a hypocrite. He hammered and ruined lives for what he did. The mistress and mishandling of CLASSIFIED materials is a career ended and jail time for some.
There are better option. Condi Rice would really be better than anyone discussed so far.

And now back to my regularly scheduled evening. My one year old just shit everywhere! I mean everywhere. It's insane.

I laughed so hard when I read this that I'm just glad I didn't need to be wearing Depends® .

Joe in PNG
12-01-2016, 08:46 PM
I'll also say No.

FNFAN
12-01-2016, 09:12 PM
For the 3 people (thus far) who've answered "Sure!" to the poll, can you reply to the thread with your thought process?

Misfire. To get the radio button to fill on my phone you have to stretch the screen and as I did it posted.

He's a smart man and served his country for 37 years. Unfortunately he screwed up badly. He should enjoy his retirement.

Arbninftry
12-01-2016, 09:58 PM
I laughed so hard when I read this that I'm just glad I didn't need to be wearing Depends® .

Blues- I am 42, I waited till later in life to have a kid. Don't regret it at all. I sleep well knowing he can change mine one day:cool:

We tried for five years, then we were planning to go to Ireland, .... And then she got pregnant.

On a side note I just heard Pete Hegseth is a contender for the VA job. He is young and fired up, he might make a good one. Being a vet he knows the VA issues.

Willard
12-01-2016, 10:56 PM
After hammering away at Hillary for so long about mishandling classified stuff, it would be hypocritical to pick Petreaus.

This

RevolverRob
12-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Not that he needs any help with that. Between those two things and filing the cabinet with Goldman Sachs people, I'm wondering when people are going to realize they've been conned.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hush now. Trump is the second coming of Jesus or so I've been told...As opposed to what he really is - a fucking carpetbagger.

Petraeus should be sitting in jail right now. It's convenient for him, that he is not. Sec of State? Fuck no.

Andy in NH
12-01-2016, 11:27 PM

Didn't read the whole thread, but it's been said that Betrayus got in less trouble for that than some Dogface or Jarhead who loses their rifle.

okie john
12-02-2016, 12:12 AM

This.

Okie John

DMF13
12-02-2016, 01:36 AM
As I understand it, a Cabinet appointment would require a pardon...Based on what? Is there some law regarding that? I'm not aware of one, but haven't researched the topic.

Dave J
12-02-2016, 02:06 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but it's been said that Betrayus got in less trouble for that than some Dogface or Jarhead who loses their rifle.

I would suggest that the folks saying that are largely mistaken. Over 20+ years of service, I've seen a fair number of incidents involving lost weapons or sensitive items, none of which resulted in anything even remotely close to a $100K fine.

Spurholder
12-02-2016, 06:07 AM
Blues- I am 42, I waited till later in life to have a kid. Don't regret it at all. I sleep well knowing he can change mine one day:cool:

We tried for five years, then we were planning to go to Ireland, .... And then she got pregnant.

On a side note I just heard Pete Hegseth is a contender for the VA job. He is young and fired up, he might make a good one. Being a vet he knows the VA issues.

Haha. I turn 51 in two weeks, and the wife and I have a little boy that turns two in February. His grandma fed him something for lunch the other day, and he shit through a screen door for almost 24 hours. But man, little ones are so great. We have three others. Oldest is 12. Wife's younger, and we married when I was 38. Fun times, never too late to start!

BOT: like you said, he destroyed careers while at Campbell, and then tried to pull a fast one with that Reservist/reporter. One of my Soldiers was his RTO back in the day, and while he loves him, I have no illusions about how the General needs to stay away from government service.

Wobblie
12-02-2016, 07:59 AM
I'm concerned to see the draft-dodging hypocrite surrounding himself with retired generals. Anyone else see a danger here? When all you have is a hammer, your problems look like nails.

MDS
12-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Your life sounds like a little mini DC, then. ;)

And I hesitate to judge things like the mistress leaks. Unlike Hillary's email server, I see room for the truth being a CI play, it's happened before. Sketch AF but without more info I can't judge with confidence. So, if we ignore the mistress leaks would he be a good secstate? No idea.

blues
12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Your life sounds like a little mini DC, then. ;)

And I hesitate to judge things like the mistress leaks. Unlike Hillary's email server, I see room for the truth being a CI play, it's happened before. Sketch AF but without more info I can't judge with confidence. So, if we ignore the mistress leaks would he be a good secstate? No idea.

In my experience, the government frowned upon us fucking our CI's. Maybe things have changed. (If so, I can think of a few I'd like to give a call to.)

DMF13
12-03-2016, 12:16 AM
I think he meant "CI" as in Counter Intelligence, not as most cops think of it as "Confidential Informant."

However, I don't think the mishandling of the info had anything to do with a "CI play." The old man simply gave the info to his crazier than an outhouse rat mistress to keep her happy.

blues
12-03-2016, 09:02 AM
I think he meant "CI" as in Counter Intelligence, not as most cops think of it as "Confidential Informant."

However, I don't think the mishandling of the info had anything to do with a "CI play." The old man simply gave the info to his crazier than an outhouse rat mistress to keep her happy.

I think you're probably right in hindsight...and I totally glossed over it.

I'm just so used to FCI for "foreign counter intelligence" and CI for "confidential informant" in my former work reports and briefings that I totally went right past it.

Appreciate your bringing it to my attention.

TGS
12-03-2016, 09:15 AM
I'm still honestly interested in hearing from at least 1 of the 5 people who may have legitimately clicked the button "Sure!", and the reasoning for such.

Do you feel his charges were not legitimate?

Do you feel his service negates the criminal acts, lack of moral compass, and hypocrisy?

Do you think he's our only hope as SoS, and see it as a doctrine of competing harms?

Do you just not give a fuck because it's politics, and they're all corrupt....he just got caught, so big deal?

Do you just not give a fuck because you don't have a moral compass either?

Did all five of you accidentally click the yes button like FNFAN?

Something else? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

DMF13
12-03-2016, 11:29 AM
I think you're probably right in hindsight...and I totally glossed over it.

I'm just so used to FCI for "foreign counter intelligence" and CI for "confidential informant" in my former work reports and briefings that I totally went right past it.

Appreciate your bringing it to my attention.So what did you call it when it wasn't foreign? ;)

blues
12-03-2016, 01:40 PM
So what did you call it when it wasn't foreign? ;)

I never worked domestic counter intelligence matters...(our bailiwick was safeguarding our borders and international investigations).

I did work on home grown terrorist / supremacist groups many years earlier in my career but there was no intelligence to be found there. ;)

Andy in NH
12-03-2016, 02:13 PM
I would suggest that the folks saying that are largely mistaken. Over 20+ years of service, I've seen a fair number of incidents involving lost weapons or sensitive items, none of which resulted in anything even remotely close to a $100K fine.

He makes more than $100K for one speech. (Citation here (http://www.commondreams.org/views/2015/04/23/send-message-judge-sentences-david-petraeus-75-one-speaking-fee)). That fine amounted to a couple of hours of work for him.

I was trying to rely the sentiment that Petraeus got off with a slap on the wrist.

In my 20 years of service the penalty for losing a CYZ-10, PVS-14 or a pistol resulted in more than a few extra hours of working parties.

He lost his integrity using poor judgement and thinking he could get away with it.

IMO, he's not an acceptable choice for SoS.

RJ
12-05-2016, 05:49 PM
What do you guys think of Jon Huntsman, the former Ambassador to China (as well as Gov. Of Utah)?

blues
12-05-2016, 07:22 PM
What do you guys think of Jon Huntsman, the former Ambassador to China (as well as Gov. Of Utah)?

His daughter's kinda cute if a bit self absorbed.

JAD
12-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Big fan since 2012 (actually contributed a little). Spells his name right. Good hair.

Also fluent in mandarin. I think that's a good indicator for sec state 2016.

Kennydale
12-05-2016, 11:13 PM
John Bolton. Him with James Mattis America's adversary's should be crapping in their Pants ( Or whatever third world garb they wear)

Wondering Beard
12-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Here's an interesting assessment from Scott Adams (who got a lot right about Trump from the start): Trump and the Secretary of State “Brand” Decision (http://blog.dilbert.com/post/154123428471/trump-and-the-secretary-of-state-brand-decision)